The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #51
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: What did you get done? 04/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Whaaaat? Can I ask why? PM me if you like.
My new job pays a lot less, and almost doubled my commute. I drive 48 miles each day round trip. I figure that it is costing me $320 per month just to drive it to work and back. That does not include any other driving.

That is calculated based on the price of gas as it is today at the station by my house. What will it be tomorrow? Next month? Next year?

I have been driving my wife's old Mazda to try to save on gas. It helps, but my truck is just sitting there. I have more money tied up in the completely stock crate engine in my truck than the Mazda is worth, and I can't afford to drive it. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I have also realized that my father's '37 coupe, which I inherited almost 4 years ago, is in almost the same condition as it was when I got it. All of my money and time go into the truck and, now, the Mazda.

My plan for a while was to just drive it on the weekends, and stop commuting in it. That has helped with the cost of my commute, but it still demands too much of my time and money. I have realize that I can't afford two toys. I'm just not able to swing it financially. I'm hoping to get enough for the truck so that I can buy a little S10 or Ranger, and begin putting my money and time into the coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post
Say it aint so................
It is so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
what was the number on the sign?
Sorry. I'm not a site supporter. I don't want to violate the board rules. It isn't my intent to try to sell it here.

Slonaker
Old 04-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #52
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post

It is so.

Sorry. I'm not a site supporter. I don't want to violate the board rules. It isn't my intent to try to sell it here.

Slonaker
Man I hate to hear that it is for sale . Someone is going to get a nice shortie . Man I might have to run down to Casa Rio for a great meal and take a look at it . Frank
Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #53
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
My new job pays a lot less, and almost doubled my commute. I drive 48 miles each day round trip. I figure that it is costing me $320 per month just to drive it to work and back. That does not include any other driving.

That is calculated based on the price of gas as it is today at the station by my house. What will it be tomorrow? Next month? Next year?

I have been driving my wife's old Mazda to try to save on gas. It helps, but my truck is just sitting there. I have more money tied up in the completely stock crate engine in my truck than the Mazda is worth, and I can't afford to drive it. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I have also realized that my father's '37 coupe, which I inherited almost 4 years ago, is in almost the same condition as it was when I got it. All of my money and time go into the truck and, now, the Mazda.

My plan for a while was to just drive it on the weekends, and stop commuting in it. That has helped with the cost of my commute, but it still demands too much of my time and money. I have realize that I can't afford two toys. I'm just not able to swing it financially. I'm hoping to get enough for the truck so that I can buy a little S10 or Ranger, and begin putting my money and time into the coupe.

I understand, was just surprised to hear it. FWIW, my '99 Ranger has been hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned...something to consider when you are looking for a small truck.

Good luck with the new job and working everything out...I am sure it will all come together for ya.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #54
andresco50

Buy a little toyota or a honda and use it to go to your work, and drive your truck on the weekends..
andresco50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #55
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Man I hate to hear that it is for sale . Someone is going to get a nice shortie . Man I might have to run down to Casa Rio for a great meal and take a look at it . Frank
It is a really clean truck, but I don't think it is up to your standards. You have some of the most beautiful trucks I have ever seen online, and mine isn't as nice as those. I would still like to see them on one of my regular trips through Caldwell (I think I told you that you live halfway between my mother and I...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
I understand, was just surprised to hear it. FWIW, my '99 Ranger has been hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned...something to consider when you are looking for a small truck.

Good luck with the new job and working everything out...I am sure it will all come together for ya.
Yeah, everything will be fine. I'm not struggling to get by or anything. I'm just struggling to afford two projects. I'm really fortunate to have two vehicles that I love. Many folks can't afford any, so I'm still in pretty good shape even though I have to choose one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresco50 View Post
Buy a little toyota or a honda and use it to go to your work, and drive your truck on the weekends.
That's what I'm doing now, but I still don't have enough time or money to keep the truck and the '37 coupe going, along with my old Mazda daily driver. Both projects are stagnating instead of improving, and that's not allowing me to fully enjoy either of them.

Here's a pic of the old coupe:

Slonaker
Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #56
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Nothing truck related this weekend, it was automotive related though, got my Mustang back from the paint shop. A couple of before and after pictures.
Attached Images

1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #57
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

I did this last week, but every day is weekend for me. Considering wet sanding and buffing the whole truck, but then the dents and rust would REALLY stand out. But man shiny paint speaks to me.. and its rare I have anything shiny as this, and this could still use some work. Anyway here some pics of how the make it shiny project went.. hard to see the difference in a pic, but in bright sun its OBVIOUS...

Yeah I got aggressive on the fender here, found primer...

I need to get something done on another truck before the father in law decides to scrap it. Its an 88 and it needs brake lines and the 700 rebuilt, I just been waiting until the snow was gone to do it. So if I can get it to the shop I will have a new winter beater.

Last edited by Thumpin455; 04-24-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Thumpin455 is offline   Reply With Quote