The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #51
caminokid
Chevy nut

Re: I would have taken the Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Maybe the Lotterius Winnus person has it......
Like I said...more money then sense.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #52
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Fact #2: He didn't have 120K in the truck......not even close and no I will not disclose what the actual number was but let me put it to you this way I would have been all over the 80K......

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #53
VA72C10
VA72C10

I do not know this particular situation, but i know of a truck here that sold for almost 25k that the owners put only about 10K total in and did all their own work. But when they were selling it, they had "receipts" for a 35K build using his brother's part time body company's hourly rate and making up "receipts" based on what it would have cost if he had paid him.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #54
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Exclamation Re: I would have taken the Money

It's funny how many of you guys can set there and pick this truck apart, about every little thing like the bumper bolts to the engine position and size. As far as position and size did anyone even notice that it is a Big Block 502? I mean lighten up, because truthfully this truck is a heck of alot better than anything most of us will ever be able to own!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #55
70cst

Gee...for 80 Grand look at some of the other classic cars and trucks one could buy. That is a super nice truck but I would be afrad to take it out for a drive. My luck I would meet an uninsured driver.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #56
caminokid
Chevy nut

For 80 grand...I could buy a super nice 67 GTO with all the options...or a 70 Chevelle LS6 car with a 4 speed...63 Corvette 327 4 speed.... The list can go on and on.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #57
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
I dont know guys. For 120,000.00...I can build one hell of a truck. Its going to cost me 3800.00 to just do the cab. Thats replacing every last nut bolt and screw in it. Since I have everything to paint with...add 300 to 400 more. For the 120 I wouldnt have a small block...I would have a 572R, 720 HP from the factory. Thats only 14,000.00. Ad another 3500.00 for a blower. Since I already have a Muncie 4 speed...M-21...rebuild it...500. Rebuild the 12 bolt. Every last nut bolt and screw replaced in the suspension and frame. I still dont see where I would go over 40,000.00 if I had that kind of money. Now if I was to let someone else build me truck...then I would see where the money would go that high. How can you go and let someone else do your truck and still can it yours...and be proud of what you didnt do?

For 80 grand...I could buy a super nice 67 GTO with all the options...or a 70 Chevelle LS6 car with a 4 speed...63 Corvette 327 4 speed.... The list can go on and on.
Not to start an argument, but if you had the money and bought a super clean restored roadrunner, wouldn't you still be proud of it. Wouldn't you still call it your own? Would you still take it to car shows? Some people don't have the skill, time, or resources to do this kind of work themselves. Should someone that is a disabled person that can afford to buy or have built a car still not be proud of it? I think we need to broaden our mind a little and be happy that people are spending 80 grand to fix up these old work trucks. JMHO.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #58
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Not to start an argument, but if you had the money and bought a super clean restored roadrunner, wouldn't you still be proud of it. Wouldn't you still call it your own? Would you still take it to car shows? Some people don't have the skill, time, or resources to do this kind of work themselves. Should someone that is a disabled person that can afford to buy or have built a car still not be proud of it? I think we need to broaden our mind a little and be happy that people are spending 80 grand to fix up these old work trucks. JMHO.
Shawn

I was just about to say the same thing!

I personally think it's BadA$$ that our trucks can pull in this kind of money, who cares what he put into it or what it sold for a few weeks ago, the fact is, it was pulling 80 grand and he didn't sell it.... maybe he fell in love and deceided to keep it..?

If you cats are this picky, I would hate for you to see my junk in person....

The reality is, we ALL would of done something different or wouldn't like something on each of our personal trucks but it's OUR style and OUR truck so we do what we like, same goes for this builder\owner.

The second reality is there is more buying than building, this is very evident in the chopper scene, look what boyd coddington did with his business and he designed his cars with CAD, which someone else did. Unfortunatly most of the people out there would rather buy than build and are typically to lazy to learn.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #59
70cst

Not to be to "picky"......but if one thinks about it every car or truck started out that someone else built initially. As a mattter of fact lots of people were involved in the initial build. (ie assembly plant) Maybe we can rebuild or modify our trucks but someone else started it first. I wish that I had the time or skills to rebuild my truck but never the less I am still proud to call it my own. I will do the PM but that as far as it goes. One could go on such as our homes but the point is made. JMHO and .02 cents worth.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 07-04-2008 at 03:46 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #60
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
Fact #2: He didn't have 120K in the truck......not even close and no I will not disclose what the actual number was but let me put it to you this way I would have been all over the 80K......
So am I reading into this wrong, or are you saying he had MORE than 120k into it?

Quote:
I personally think it's BadA$$ that our trucks can pull in this kind of money, who cares what he put into it or what it sold for a few weeks ago, the fact is, it was pulling 80 grand and he didn't sell it.... maybe he fell in love and deceided to keep it..?
The previous owner sold it for 50k like a couple months back. The new owner (from what was posted in this thread) apparently is a very wealthy collector. I think the OP was making a point that he would have taken the 80k and been happy. Apparently this guy wants to make more than a 30k flip on this truck. More power to him if he can do it! I think it just goes to show that grammar and spelling may have affected the previous owner's auction much more than many ppl here were willing to admit.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #61
VA72C10
VA72C10

I just like the fact that people are willing to pay 80K for this truck. Mine will have many of the similar parts. I know it's paint job won't be nearly as nice, the engine will be "only" a 383, the interior will not be as highly modified, and the rims and brakes will be similar, but not as pricey. But if this can get 80, i should be able to get 50 for mine
Old 07-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #62
VA72C10
VA72C10

Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #63
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

yeah, I can say I have the same brake and gas pedal as an 80K truck, and I do!! Of course, they're still in their respective packages, but they're in my garage.

The wonderful thing that I like about the car (collective term, here) is that each of us is free to modify, restore, restify or customize our vehicles to our the limits of our wallets and imaginations. Some people have the talent. Some have the checkbook. I don't have either one. I have an imagination. I'm not afraid to use it, either. But without the talent or the checkbook, my imagination is nothing more than blank ammo. It'll make a noise, but nobody will get hurt.

There's nothing like picking apart someone elses vehicle if it is better than ours or the one we'd like to have. I have a friend who restored cars. Being around him has made it difficult for me to be satisfied with anything less than perfect. Yet, my daily driver has a few imperfections and my '69 has a gross of 'em. I dare you to find something about my truck that isn't wrong.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #64
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I just like the fact that people are willing to pay 80K for this truck. Mine will have many of the similar parts. I know it's paint job won't be nearly as nice, the engine will be "only" a 383, the interior will not be as highly modified, and the rims and brakes will be similar, but not as pricey. But if this can get 80, i should be able to get 50 for mine
Just because there's an 80K bid doesn't mean that's reality. It didn't sell @ that price & the previous transaction was around 50K which is creeping up on the sum total of all those nice parts plus a pro paint job.

Also, I'm not saying this is true for this auction but there's been more than one occasion of 'friends' helping pad the bidding process.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #65
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Just because there's an 80K bid doesn't mean that's reality. It didn't sell @ that price & the previous transaction was around 50K which is creeping up on the sum total of all those nice parts plus a pro paint job.

Also, I'm not saying this is true for this auction but there's been more than one occasion of 'friends' helping pad the bidding process.
My comments were with tongue firmly planted in cheek

Thus the reason for the post after it with the

Realistically though, it gives me hope that i'll get a decent price for my truck when completed. I will have airbags, front and rear cross drilled disc brakes, 20 rims, custom interior, Professionally built 383 stroker w/ tons of dress up details, new paint and many new metal panels and good factory pieces, relocated tank, and some nice subtle custom touches.

I understand that the paint job is worth a lot and the undercarriage is more detailed than mine will be, but i can't see my truck being worth less than 20K when done if there is a hint of interest at 80K for that. Plus, i have seen a few others on ebay that weren't done professionally getting 25-30K recently

The market will bare what it will and i will have to find the right buyer, but it's encouraging nonetheless and makes me feel better for spending a little more on things like a true GM grille instead of a repop, a true tailgate, an airbag suspension instead of just coils, and 20" rims. Seems like anything with a nice paint job, airbags, and 20's has been selling in the mid 20's and up on ebay.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #66
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Shawn
I agree on the fact yeah there is people out there that cant do anything but put the key in the ignition. Its good the trucks are being saved. I dont know if I would be as proud of a vehicle that was already done. I guess I have always started out with a rusted hulk...or a wreck and had to rebuild it to make it what I wanted it to be. All 4 of the GTO's I had..all had something major that had to be done with them when I got them. That also goes for the Chevelles...Firebirds...Trans Ams...El Caminos, Every Chevy truck I have owned...Corvettes...442's...and so on.
No argument here Shawn...I respect your opinion.