The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #51
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: My "Barn Find" C-20

Unless you just have a need or already have a buyer for this truck....I'd have a shorter wheelbase under it so quick that your head would spin!

Either way, sounds like you stole it. Do what you want to do with it! I'll support you!!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #52
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

WOW nice buy!!!!!!!!!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #53
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Please! Please! Please! Don't part it.

BTW....Great score.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #54
sleepertruck72

That is a NICE looking ghetto barn find !!! That truck is solid looking and does not deserve to get parted out IMO. You are a lucky man enjoy that truck ! NOS seals was just the icing on the cake wasnt it ?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #55
chipflyer

Nice score Scott, very nice old truck!

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #56
ERASER5

So many bogus "Barn Find" stories and then comes the REAL DEAL! With NOS parts to boot! Working real hard to control the truck envy. What a find!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #57
leddzepp

Thanks guys...I really can't believe how it turned out to be! I do not think I am going to part it. It would be a shame. It was bought at Crest Chevrolet in San Bernardino, right down the street from where I grew up. I remember hearing their radio commercials growing up in the 70's....and they are still around today. One of the last dealers around. I want to drive over there later this week, and show it to them, and all of the original paperwork. The NOS seals were a nice find, and will go on my short-bed truck!

I took it out for a drive today...man, I love the big block! It has a lot of power, trans shifts smooth and solid. Of course, I changed the oil, and checked all the fluids. Everything looked great. The cruise control, heater, and A/C work!!! It still has R-12 in it, and is ICE cold!

I would love to put the engine/trans in my short bed...they are in tip top shape. I really do not want to hack this truck up, but the wife has spoken, and I have to do something. I pretty much bought this without her consent...when I was approved only to buy an engine. But either this, or my short bed goes, and I really love my short bed. I will probably end up selling this truck, I can't really bring myself to rob the drivetrain as planned. If there was not so much documentation for it, I would be easier with it. Also, the sheetmetal is in perfect shape, and untouched. The doors open and close great, and all the gaps are factory. Does anybody have any idea what it might be worth? I would love to sell it, and buy a Blazer (which the wife approves because it can haul the kids around and fits in the garage) or trade it for one (2wd preferred) even 4wd if it is nice and original. There is a board member local to me selling a 1970 2wd Blazer (bbaroo)...I would love to sell this, and buy his!
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #58
pcorriveau951

Very nice truck, where in riverside are you located? how much would you sell the truck for?
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #59
sleepertruck72

Scott,
IMHO I believe you should be able to get 7K at the very least.If I had that much extra cash to spend, I would pay it . I would ask for $11k if it were mine. I would just wait until the right buyer came along that would keep her on the road and treat her right. Bring it down to the Turlock swap meet and try your luck here. If you dont find a buyer you may find a BB set up and you can take it back with you.
You could also use the BB for your shortbed and sell the truck with your sb in it, or just part it out. You have alot of options there to play with.. good luck
Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #60
see ten
WTB this ad

Yep, On my side of the country it's probably a realistic 7-8K truck. Sure, I'd ask 11K for it and hope for the 7-8K. Shouldn't have a problem moving that at all. You might want to consider starting a fresh "What's it Worth" (WIW) post.

As I said before...That truck is already nicer then most peoples projects end up...let alone start.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #61
Slik69

Leddzepp,
This is a tough one, but let me first start by saying nice find. Looks a lot like the one I bought very very cheap. The tow truck driver thought I paid at least 10k for it. Very similiar as this one.. maybe even a little better. I myself could not figure out why the guy didn't want it and he gave me a list of everything that was supposed to be wrong with it. The truck belonged to his father-in -law that passed away. I think he made the stories up to convince his wife (her daddy's truck) that the truck needed to be sold. She fired the first day, I switched over to HEI, put new tires, new carb (that it did not need) and a few other small things. All in all, I don't hae over $400 in it. Was definitely a bran find and was right there in your backyard as well.

Regarding what to do. I think it first has to do woth how much you paid for it. You have 2 options. Take the motor for your truck. If you are 100% confident you can live with it's current state (meaning it needs nothing), That's a no brainer, I would snatch and switch/sell the truck. If you really want to get rid of it, let it go for 5k. You don't care, you got what you wanted. I would pull both motor and tranny. Take whatever else will improve your truck. OR you could sell the whole truck as is and use the money to build your own motor to your liking. I think the advantage you have here though is if your 100% sure about the motor you got. I would take it and use it because you have all thge breackets.. other necessary parts. What size BB is it. The reason I ask is because I know a guy that sells running motors ( I buy them to rebuild), but they are complete with brackets etc. should you decide to rebuild one on your own. They come complete with all brackets as well. I can pass this information along should you decide you want to build a motor. If you have brackets you can also hit the core yards and buy a block. I know a machinist that sells all kinds of blocks as well. There are many options.

When I get into situations like this, it becomes a numbers game.. and I try and come out on top.. even if it means moving the truck for a little less (if you decide to yank (motor/trans why break them apart).

The hardest thing WILL BE finding a buyer. You may have to even pass the sweet deal you got onto the new buyer at their surprise as well to get what you want.

My truck too was bought with flipping in mind, but after getting it home, cleaning it up, I thought where on Gods green earth can I find another truck in this condition for this price. I looked them up.. and they do go for over
10k in the shape that mine is in. It really does still puzzle me why the guy did not want this truck.. and like you, I was able to get the full history on it.

I'll end by saying my truck was on sale on Craigslist, I was in touch with him often, but never really had all the $$ to get it. I was browsing back through/cleaning up old e-mails from a year ago.. and I decided to ask if he still had the truck.. KNOWING that he told me it was sold. Almost a whole year went by. He replied saying he still had it.. and the guy that was supposed to buy it tried to rip him off (get for less) and he was not going for it. He said if I wanted it,it was mine for X amount of dollars. Mind you, had never seen this truck in person, only pics sent to me in e-mail. He said if I wanted it, I had a certain window.. I went to look at it, left a deposit and was back within a few days to pick her up.

I bought to flip to use the money on my other cars. I have decided to keep her in the lineup and give it what it needs along with my other cars. Out of all the classics I bought many have told me this is the nicest. I wasn't to happy to hear it, but it's true. My wife keeps bugging me for my truck. I told her no because it needed brakes.. did those last week, so now she's asking again. I can't believe it but it's true. If I listened to my wife or her mom about cars, I would have none. Grab 'em cowboy! I have to hear it initally, but it soon fades away.
Slik69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #62
leddzepp

Thanks for the input guys!

I did not "steal" this truck, as many think, although I did get it for a decent price. I just hate to pull the motor/trans when the rest of it is in such pristine condition. I would part it, but am concerned I would be left over with too many large parts that no one is going to buy.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #63
Slik69

When the hood is closed, the truck looks the same on the outside. If your truck has a running motor, yank it. The hardest thing will be finding a buyer for it. If you did not steal it, then not sure why you bought it other than using the motor. If you can start drive and use the other motor I would yank the BB. May have gotten into a pickle.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #64
see ten
WTB this ad

Swap your small block from your short bed in to it and keep the big un for your swb. It's not a matching #s big block vette or Camaro...It's a nice old truck that sounds like you got a good enough deal on that you were going to part it anyway. With it running (with your old motor) someone should still want it. Odds are, you've already got your mind made up as far as what you want to do is concerned....you're just wanting to hear if any of us have the same opinion. Go for it already!! Let us know how it works out for you when you're done.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #65
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

You will probably get more for it all together since it is so clean, and so well documented.
I've tried selling clean rust free body parts in So. Cal. and you have a hard time getting anything for them.(in fact I have some on the side of my house). Anything that is hard to ship is tough to get rid of, even if it is nice.
I think you would be money ahead if you sold it whole around here, might take some time though with times being what they are.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #66
Slik69

Either of the last 2 comments are what I would do. Yank it or sell whole and put your own BB together. Like I said, these things become a numbers game for me and I always try and make this stuff pay for itself. I think you'd be good either way. Sounds like it just depends on how much patience the wife has. Take it to the swap meets to try and get rid of it either before or after you yank the motor. Times are hard.. so chances are you may have to eat some $$ to get what you want.

You should also be able to sell the truck on the documentation you have. That speaks a lot and I was impressed more with that info. along with the truck.. because it says what kind of care was taken for it. Check to see if a family member would be interested in it. You'd be surprised.

Last edited by Slik69; 01-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #67
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
...It was bought at Crest Chevrolet in San Bernardino...
"....at Crest Chevrolet, today....do it, do it, do it, do it today!"

ya mean THAT radio commercial?. I remember it too!

BTW Great find!!

Last edited by 69sixpackbee; 01-13-2009 at 12:22 PM.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #68
pcorriveau951

well i had a chance to see this truck in person today, and i must say that it is a very clean truck, Scott is a very nice guy and got one hell of a truck too.
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #69
leddzepp

Thanks Phil...and I must say the same about you as well. I am going to keep this truck, and restore it to mostly stock. It is too nice to hack up...no rust, no dents, one re-paint. I am buying the factory trim from another board member, putting the Cheyenne 20 and Super badges back on, looking for factory rims, etc. I just swapped in a tilt column and added the 400 badges back on. When I replace the front end components, I am going to swap in 1-ton springs to level it out with the rear. I will post pics of the progress soon. Phil, would love to see pics of your project, as you are going the lifted instead of lowered route to get a level ride too.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #70
lowbucktruck

Sounds like you made a good decision. There are just not that many of these classic trucks still around in original condition. My preference is that we should save a few original stockers, and mod/custom the rest that are incomplete trucks. (okay, I will duck now, someone is sure to fire back at me for that comment!)
Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #71
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Talking Re: My "Barn Find" C-20

It is refreshing to hear that another Cheyenne 20 will be saved, and not parted out for a wimpy 1/2 ton short box..
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #72
DREW67

Nice!!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #73
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Neat story and cool find
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #74
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

I'm JEALOUS!!!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #75
neba

curious minds would like to know what you paid. nice truck!
neba is offline   Reply With Quote