The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #51
davebloomer

Re: anyone have something fall off their truck while driving?

back half of my drive shaft. motor wraps out quick when there's no rearend to deal with LOL
davebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #52
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Had a 1980 Cutlass(first Car) duals dumped right in frot of rear tires. On my way to school, one whole side detaches from the manifold and gets run over. I put a new engine in my 91 1/2 ton when I lived at Ft. Polk, LA. Lost my 10mm socket, and figured it fell off on the highway. 2 yrs later I had moved back to MN, drop the tranny and the socket falls from somewhere on top of the tranny!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #53
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

About 25 years ago I bought a '72 4X4, one of my first experiments in old Chevy trucks. I think the previous owner had converted it to a 4-wheeler with spare axles and junk he had around. It was definitely a Frankenstein truck.

On the way home from the purchase, I'm cruising down the freeway going about 70 and hear a tremendous WHUMP, so I pull over to investigate. Good thing I left it running because it was the starter that had fallen off. When it departed it must've bounced off the road and hammered the bottom of the cab. I looked up to where it was supposed to be and the wires were just hanging there swinging in the breeze. Since it was still running I got home okay, but it was funny, even at the time.

------------------------

Also back then, I was driving my wife's '76 Monza one day following an old 2-ton truck which was piled half-way to the moon with scrap metal. We're going down the freeway and a big piece of pipe falls off the top of the stack. It looked to be about 3 inches in diameter and about 15 feet long. It falls off, hits on one end, bounces up in the air, I slip through UNDERNEATH IT, then see it in the rear view mirror bounce on it's other end just behind me. I think that's about as close as I've ever come to soiling the seat.

--------------

Losing wing windows must be a pretty common occurrence. I had a '75 Chevy pickup once that was incredibly rusty. Holes I could stick my fist through in the bed sides, etc. I had a big patchwork quilt of sheet metal scraps pop riveted all over the rusted out cab floor. One day my wife and I were going to a friend's farm to cut some firewood and the right wing window suddenly departed. It was as if it had finally gotten tired of riding along all those years and wanted off. It was very cold that day, like in the teens, and man, the wind chill was wicked as soon as it fell out. Somehow I had some cardboard and duct tape kicking around in the truck so we didn't have to abort the trip.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote