The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #51
ixnay

Re: My Slap-my-hand-to-my-forehead 68 fixer-upper

One thing I forgot to mention:

I bought a rubber gasket from Bill's Truck supplies in Canada. Also picked up two floor vent handles. Not the cheapest place, but I got 'em quickly. And better than Ebay. This was before this parts forum came up and when searching was not the easiest.

Tonight, I picked up a radio and door sills. Now I need a speaker and to locate the radio harness from the place I hid it in the garage. Note to self: don't hide stuff in garage. You end up buying two.

MJH
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #52
ixnay

Latest work:

Installed a battery cut-off. Well worth the money. Mine was full price, $21, from my friend's NAPA. Installs in 1 minute and saves you a hassle.

Removed the grey-brown armrests and painted them black. Thanks to Scott who sold me my radio for the tip. Used SEM paint from Industrial Finishes (down the highway in Eugene, Ore.). Works well. Also repainted the dash pad from faded black (?) to black. The door panel is next.

Funny thing about the driver's armrest. It wouldn't come off. Phillips screw kept camming out. Thought about hack-sawing, but I finally got it off. Turns out it was a standard slot. Funny now. Not so funny then.

Working on installing the radio. Bought a speaker and bracket from Brian in Calif. Hopefully I'll be in business tonight listening to the Cards and Rangers.

Rattle can painted my rockers. Got tired of the grey primer. No idea when I'm going to get this thing painted. It's got to fit within the budget. Thinking about doing a rustoleum red with the foam roller. Tempting for the cost savings. Besides, now the paint doesn't match. And I sorta like the candy-apple red.

Anyway, here are three pics. Better pics probably tomorrow.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #53
ixnay

Speaker didn't work but Brian has been gracious and a big help. TY Brian. Picked up a speaker from a local auto stereo store, Stereo King. Will try to retrofit the bracket Brian sent me. Went to a friend's place last night. Friend is an electrical engineer who puts together controls for sawmills. His shop is a wire-lover's heaven. Me? Sparky and I don't get along. I can plumb, do fuel lines, etc., but I get a lot of resistance from Mr. Ohm. Nonetheless, I can locate wires. So last night, got the power cord ready, and modified the antenna lead--the male was too small (no jokes please) so we had to, ahem, beef it up. Nice snug connection, and now she's grounded.

And some pics, I promised some pics. Here's a shot of the radio, the radio slot, and the rebuilt tail gate. You can't even tell that I cut the tailgate, dropped in the pipe, welded on a skin and coated it. I would like to say it was brilliance, but mostly it's that I'm so inexperienced at this stuff that I didn't know you couldn't do it.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #54
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good! Nice progress
Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #55
ixnay

Just ordered a speaker from Electro-Tech. http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm Saw the warning about the 4 ohms v. 8. The speaker I bought last night runs 4. So I'll install everything on Monday once I have the speaker in hand.

Now if I can get the vent windows repaired before next Saturday's elk hunt.

After that, it's rubber in the windows and a passenger door panel.

MJH
Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #56
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
Just ordered a speaker from Electro-Tech. http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm Saw the warning about the 4 ohms v. 8. The speaker I bought last night runs 4. So I'll install everything on Monday once I have the speaker in hand.

Now if I can get the vent windows repaired before next Saturday's elk hunt.

After that, it's rubber in the windows and a passenger door panel.

MJH
Electro-Tech shipped me that speaker within 2 days. It works so well, I can actually hear the radio clearly at highway speed.

Vent windows will probably wait until after the elk hunt because (drum roll) I found the rubber inserts for them and the felted door rubber in the box-o-parts that the PO included when I bought the rig. So I saved myself some hassle about buying new parts. Maybe I'll get them installed before Friday's hunt. Yeah, right.

Meanwhile, here's the radio.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #57
ixnay

So I get to the elk hunt camp, pull in, kill the engine, and never get the rig started the rest of the weeked. Got fuel. Got spark. Don't have fuel and spark at the same time.

It turns out last year's HEI was a conversion, not a full HEI. Distributor broke loose after one year. Spark plug wires broke too. Shoddy.

We towed it off the mountain. Tow truck got lost 2x. I'm a tad upset with my now-former mechanic. Since Monday, I've spent $375 for the new sparky and $100 for the tow.

Did I mention that no elk were harmed in the making of this trip?

But the radio sounded nice.

MJH
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #58
ixnay

Unhappy Re: My Slap-my-hand-to-my-forehead 68 fixer-upper

What a winter! The ignition was the last straw for the Mrs. She wants the truck gone, so tonight, I've posted it for sale.

The computers I use, died--both of them--so I've not been on much. I could occasionally surf from another computer, but didn't have the password to log on. Finally I was able to recover the esoteric password and unlock my account. So for those of you who wondered what happened to me, I'm still alive, but it's not been a fun couple of months.

Going over what I've done to the pick-up, the money, time, and hassle, I understand my wife's position. But still I feel as if I were kicked in the gut.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #59
ixnay

Great news: the car didn't sell. I received lots of interest and low-ball offers, but no way could I recoup much of anything, so I didn't sell.

I've a rod bearing that's getting noisy, so that's my next project, but hey, I get to work on my rig. What's not to like?

I'm heartbroken, really, can't you tell?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #60
ixnay

The painting has begun. As this is a work truck, I'm doing the Rustoleum special. I figure if I goof it up badly, I can always head to a paint shop. The engine work starts this upcoming weekend, so I'm just doing the bumpers, wheels, easily-removed-brightwork stuff. The phone's camera didn't take the best photo, but here's what I did yesterday.

Color Scheme: The bumpers will be the same color, just refreshed. The body will no longer be oranged red. Now it will be Rustoleum sunset red. The wheels were black when I bought them. I'm painting them white.

I busted the bulb out of the Barden bumper. And the license plate is getting old. Perhaps I'll have a new one done some day. But the Rustoleum hammered silver took well. I'll do a second coat tonight and work on the front bumper.

Still need to do the cab interior and windows. I've got the rubber; I've just not installed it yet. What's your favorite recommendation for floor mat?
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #61
ixnay

The smart thing, of course, would have been to paint the wheels before I mounted the tires. But I liked black back then. Now I want 'em white. The bumpers turned out fine. Tomorrow the engine work starts---going to take care of a rod bearing (and whatever else turns up).

I'm using my camera phone at the moment. The quality of the photographer is not the best. I shall get out the real camera when I finish the paint.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #62
67chevy1series

Nice work, bumpers look good, so do the rims, are you going to put original hub caps back on?
Posted via Mobile Device
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #63
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Nice work, bumpers look good, so do the rims, are you going to put original hub caps back on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. The spare tire is the one mounted on the rig for the moment. I wasn't as careful with it as with the rubber on the four on the floor. They should be solid black to contrast with the white rims.

Regarding the hub caps, I plan to put 'em back on. I always wanted baby moons, particularly on the 1972 Dodge Charger I used to salivate over. If you look at previous posts, you'll see that i put those on the rims instead of the dog-dish hubcaps. No fuzzy dice though.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #64
Tinkermc

Glad you got to keep her the work is starting to shape up and the truck is lookin good, now get it running corectly
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #65
ixnay

The transmission was a pain, but the engine is out. Now for the diagnosis and a trip to the machine shop. Photos tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #66
ixnay

Good news: It wasn't a rod bearing. But one of the rear lifters was concave, not convex. And the camshaft? Nice and round. Which would be fine, except it's like that breakfast drink--supposed to be ovaltine. And the bearings? Oh, boy were they bad. Federal-Mogul supposedly fail early and these did. So, I'll not be replacing the camshaft with the same type as the PO did.

I learned something new too. The PO's widow's neighbor friend handled the sale. Neither the widow nor he knew the exact history. The engine was supposedly a 350 SBC. Nope, it was a rebuilt 305. Possibly the closest this beast will ever come to match the 1976 orange fiberglass Corvettes of yesteryear. Certainly it won't have the same acceleration.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be handling the clean-up while we find parts and pennies to pay for them. Meanwhile enjoy the photos. The first 3 are from this afternoon. The last two are from yesterday.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #67
ixnay

Today's post-engine work progress: Door panels are on their way. TY SpecialtyRetail. And I'm looking at an eyebrow for the hood. Brothers will probably be on my credit card bill next month for the floor mat I'll pick up. Still need to install the window rubber, but I'll wait until painting is done before I do that.

Then it's off to the hunting camps . . . .

MJH
Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #68
ixnay

Washed parts today. I'm black, but they're clean. Here's a photo of the camshaft. Fourth from the right is the bad one. Should have the engine block back Monday, so we'll start re-assembly then.

I also put the first coat on the letters on the tailgate.

Time for the sis-boom-bah. A blessed Independence Day to you all.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
ixnay

Today's follies: First, the morning's fun with the girls. Then painting the block (not pictured), the headers, water pump, and tail gate hardware.

And to you Francophiles, vive la republique!

MJH
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #70
ixnay

We also did the tailgate, as you can see, and now I'm off to wash the pushrods, rockers, etc.

MJH

PS. Those archers make pretty good painting assistants, too.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #71
ixnay

Picked up the drive & camshaft from the Portland Engine Rebuilders Friday. Installed them Saturday. Cleaned the heads. Probably do some work this week at night, depending on my friend's schedule. It's his garage, tools, and expertise.

Hoping to have things running by next weekend. Then I'll work on painting.

I've got that "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" feeling.

Concerning my rustoleum paint job, it's definitely going to be a C10 rig. If you see it from 10 feet, it's not going to be so bad.

Aren't new parts pretty?

MJH
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #72
ixnay

Slowly but surely. Last night my friend finished cleaning the heads and we put 'em on. Also did the final coat on the tail-gate.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #73
Low Elco

Looks great, and I'm glad to see you back! I was wondering how this truck was doing. I love them all hot-rodded, but it's nice to see one just being cleaned up and used like a truck.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #74
Tinkermc

looks good and a lot of progress since I was heere last.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #75
ixnay

We put the lifters and pushrods in tonight and bolted down the rockers. A PO had the oil pump pickup scraping the oil pan floor, so my mechanic mentor took a measurement and will press the fitting to give the screen a proper clearance.

Meanwhile, as I have time, practiced my wet-sanding technique on the tail-gate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device