The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #51
tiggamonsta

Re: the rebuild begins next week for the 1966 c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xratt View Post
Well first attemp at a steering shaft did not work. FYI, using a rag joint at the steering box as a u-joint will not work. So i ordered a splines u-joint today. It comes in Tuesday. ...
Be careful on your final angles for the u-joints. Most steering u-joints are only designed for an angle of up to 35 degrees. Since you are adding a third u-joint I believe you will also need to add a support. There was an article about this in the November 2009 Vol 16 issue 11 of Custom Classic Trucks. It was a good read.
tiggamonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #52
xratt

I will try to pick up that issue. Tried to install the motor today. It was a no go. Seems I have the wrong motor mounts. Lucky i saved the old ones. I will carry them with me tomorrow to compare at the parts store. Its sad, guys at Autozone know my name.

I did buy more ply wood to finish the bed floor. Not the fanciest bed material, but it works for now. I plan on painting it make it look decent.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&goto=newpost
xratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #53
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you used just 2 u-joints, would the upper control arm contact the steering shaft?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #54
xratt

I've tried the steering shaft several different ways. Three joints is the only way I found that works. My last part should have came in Friday. I will pick it up Monday. Then I should be able to finish that part up.

Still have to bleed the brakes some more.

The motor is in. Only the exhaust pipes are left to hook up. Some odds and ends wiring is left and the motor is ready to fire.

Installed the battery. Was able to fire up the air compressor. Tested out the air bags. I must have mixed up some of the wiring on the back of the switches. Should be a easy fix tomorrow. Not sure I'm making either one of the big car shows coming up. (Moultrie, and Daytona)Need to kick this rebuild into high. gear.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #55
c10Mang

Nice xratt!! Love this build, can't wait to see it done..
c10Mang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #56
xratt

WOW, what a week! Worked on the truck Monday, before heading to work my real job on the night shift. Only to arrive and be told we are all getting laid off from work. So now I'm unemployed. So, I've had time to work on the truck this week. Got a lot done too.

Finished the steering shaft. Works great to far. Still need to get a power steering pump, but all the hard parts is done.

Rewired most of the truck. Thx to the guys I got wiring diagrams from. They helped a lot. Rewired the head lights, tail lights, blinkers, installed new head light switch. Cut out all the speaker wirings used under the dash for factory wiring. Replaced most of it with color correct wiring and tried to run in near factory locations. Not perfect, but at least i know whats what.

Got the air compressor running and got to test out the air ride stuff... Fixed a few cross wires I did on the back of the switches. Now I have one seloniod that is not working. I contacted airbagit.com and they offered to replace the bad part, and offered me a upgrade for a added charge of course, to the newest air valve they now offer. Just losing my job, makes this a sick time to offer me new toys for a small price. I will figure out a way.

Finally got ready to turn over the motor. Poured antifreeze in the radiator, and watched it run out from under the thermistat housing. Added gas to the tank, and started turning it over. After a few tries, and setting the carb on fire. I figured out the timing was set 180 degrees out. So pulled the distributor out and turned it 180. Got a few secs of it tring to crank up. But no go. Now gas it leaking from under the carb. So tomorrow I'm getting a new base gasket, and going to try again. The carb seems to be pumping lots of fuel. Like too much. Not sure whats going on there. So far, I'm leaking antifreeze, gas, and trans fuild. I'm on a roll. Not leaking oil YET. One plus.

Finished bleeding the brakes today. This was the third time bleeding them and this time I'm feeling really good pedal pressure. Finally.

I really want this on the road Friday. I have two friend that are going to help Friday to finish it off. Still need to install the wind shield. I was going to pay someone to come out and install it for me. But, seeing how I'm now poor. I'm doing it myself, with the help from a few friends.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #57
xratt

It's running, It's running. I'm stoked. New carb base gasket. A little tuning. A few large backfires shooting out of the carb. And bam, it started running. I have no timing light, so I sort of had to guess at where to set it.

So just bolt on hood, finish installing the bed floor, install wind shield. And oh yeah, I still need a power steering pump. Then I'm on the road. Not making it to the GA show this weekend. But should be good for Daytona. Saturday night, the Publix parking lot in N. Daytona Beach.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #58
c10Mang

Nice!!!
c10Mang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #59
tiggamonsta

That steering setup looks much safer. Nice work.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #60
xratt

Finally got the wind shield installed last night. What a nightmare. Took a few tries. Did my best to keep the stock chrome trim in the install process. But it was a no go. Was able to get the glass installed with the new LMC gasket. But was unable to install the chrome trim. The seam does not fit worth a sh@t. I will have to get some sort of sealant and go around the edges. I think in the future I will be buying another gasket to replace this one. One without the groove for the chrome. Maybe it will seal better. I swas just happy we did not break the glass with this first attempt .

Hoods on, got blinkers working on hood. My custom cut hood hinges work great. Real close to driving this thing.

Still lacking a power steering pump. Tried to junk yards today. Every one i found was full of water, or had the lines cut. Or were not from a sbc 350. And not knowing what exactly crosses over bracket wise. I did not want to buy anything I would have to guess at. So I'm headed to another junk yard in the AM. But its the high priced, body search as you enter and leave, junk yard. But I'll take one for the team, if I can get my truck driving.

Also seems like my transmission has leaked all the fluid out of it. I put it in drive or reverse and nothing happens. I knew i lost some fluid but, but not enough to make the trans not work. Will figure that out tomorrow also.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #61
xratt

Made it to junk yard. Got my power steering pump, all the brackets, lines, and even a belt. Thought i was golden heading back to the garage. Well of course, the pressure line and return line i got have different ends then my steering box. Just my luck. So I bought a pressure hose that fits the steering box, and I have the hose that came with the steering pump. Tomorrow I'm going to get a hose shop to cut and splice them together. Hope this works.

Topped off all the fluids, oil, trans, and antifreeze. Everything was looking good, till ATF started leaking out from under the radiator. No idea what this is from. Feels like theres a crack in the metal under the trans. cooler. Wondering if I can just bypass the trans. cooler and hook the two lines together. I'm going to be bald after this build. Oh, did I mention, a car hood slammed on my head while I was digging around the junk yard.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #62
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

keep up the good work it will be worth the effort when you are driving the truck again!!!!!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #63
tiggamonsta

You should be able to pick up an external trans cooler pretty cheap. The one on my DD was 30 bucks installed.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #64
xratt

Down to the last few finishing touches, before i drive the truck home! Put a coat of sealer on the wood in the bed. Both sides.

Got a new power steering pressure line made. Oring style on pump end, flare style on the steering box end.Works like a champ.

Bypassed the trans cooler with a section of tubing. This will work till I get a after market cooler.

Should be driving tomorrow. Hope it's not raining. I need to install wind shield wipers. I'm also fairly sure the wind shield will leak, so I would like to reseal it with some sealant before i drive it full time.

Can't wait to post pics of it washed up and parked in the street.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #65
tiggamonsta

I would be cautious how much you drive it with no trans cooler. Hate to see the tranny get smoked, before you can enjoy the truck.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - Ben Franklin
Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #66
xratt

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to get one before I drive it much. I plan on being Daytona Saturday night for sure. I have to work during the day and driving down as soon as I get off work.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #67
xratt

Well Daytona is not looking so good. I have not even made it around the block yet without the truck breaking something. First it was a transmission leak. Fixed that with a new cooler hose. Then the drive shaft carrier bearing support broke, while trying to drive it around the corner. It was a brand new part. So I'm not sure what caused this. It's the two part drive shaft with a new bearing and carrier bearing support. Also installed two new u-joints in the drive shaft. One problem I know I have is the front half of the shaft is stuck in the back on the transmission. I've tried everything to get it out. Tonight I got it to move about 1/4 inch out. Pryed and wedged and banged, and all it moved was 1/4 inch. Can't figure this out. I can tell this is a home made drive shaft. When they swapped in the 350 trans., they welded the splined output shaft to the old drive shaft, and about 6 inches behind that the must have shortened the shaft too. So my thought is, the drive shaft is out of balance, or not straight. This vibration must have been what broke the carrier bearing support. Still odd cause i made it to 10 to 15 miles an hour. The old carrier bearing support was all wore out with most of the rubber missing. I thought this is what caused the vibration in the old support. I must have been wrong. I now think it's from the front drive shaft. Any suggestions on how to get this stupid thing out of my tranny? I'm sure I can't get all this done tomorrow, so looks like I'm missing Daytona Turkey Rod Run. But I need my truck on the road big time!!!!!!! Here's a few pics I took right after I moved it out of the warehouse, and into the parking lot. Did not even make it around the block and it's back in the warehouse.
Attached Images

Last edited by xratt; 11-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #68
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

I just read through your build. You have made some great strides in a short period. Truck looks nice laid out.

Wish I could offer some help on your driveline issue... Keep at it!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #69
816allen

Dam man that truck is S!CK
72 C10 Sold
87 Short Bed Lowered Daily Driver
http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt314/sswagon/
http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/forums/forum.php
816allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #70
xratt

Well it's driving. Keep finding little things that need attention. But I guess thats normal. One brake line leaked. Bad tag light kept blowing tail light fuses. All the air line fittings leaked. So, I fixed all of those. OH YEAH, had to get the drive shaft rebuilt. So, they had to rebuild the front half of the 2-part shaft. Plus a new splined tail shaft. So who ever made my old one in their back yard with a stick welder, really did me wrong. To the tune of $246. But it's all good now.

Still need to get a trans cooler. I'm also pretty sure my distributor is off one tooth. I cannot get the timing light marks to get near the timing tab. So, it pings alittle while I drive sometimes. So, I'm playing with that tomorrow.

Now thinking I might be looking with stock steelie wheels, instead of the mismatched wheels i have now. At least in steel wheels, it will hide the fact I have 5 lug in the front and 6 in the back a little better.

More to come
Attached Images

Last edited by xratt; 12-04-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #71
xratt

those pics are the old drive shaft. I forgot to get pics of the new shaft before I installed it.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #72
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

wow thats some perty weldin
Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #73
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

No wonder it broke......

Quote:
Originally Posted by xratt View Post
those pics are the old drive shaft. I forgot to get pics of the new shaft before I installed it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #74
sams60gmc

Wow now thats some talent right there. I arc welded for the first time in probably 5 years the other day on my buddies Jeep and turned out pretty damn good lol I guess its like riding a bike. Great looking truck btw.

1960 GMC short fleet, full frame build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329718
sams60gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #75
ravens65

What a nice lay! no the truck , is that all you guys think about? yea me too!!
sorry to here about the job -that happened to me a month ago, just now going back to work , at a new job . nice progress, funny what we will do for an old truck , mine won't be done for a month or two , needs about 4-500.00 to finish - might as well be 4-5,000.00 after not working for a month. I'm about an hour and a half from daytona and plan on cruizin' there now and then . a couple pics for ya showing a Trans-am rear end fitting in this model truck and a flip hood so you can lose the inner fenders , when you air it out. ok back to work! Eric
Attached Images