The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #51
cyberpine

Re: Is my Truck okay?

Back on this post.. so

87 R10 (c10) 305 TBI.

There is an air line into where the oil is dispensed. I suspect there was an L-shapped connector where orginally where we now have gooey duct tape. How can I find that part number? and will I need to pull up the cover to install it?

Also, any creative way to check oil pressure if my oil gauge in not working?

Thanks for any help or information!

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #52
cyberpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
a vac leak will definately the surging at idle because it will completely throw the map sensor out of wack. unplug the map sensor and see if the idle straightens out. ..
If the map sensor pulg is green, that did in fact straighten out the idle.

Just got my error codes and I'm getting a 34 - MAP sensor(voltage low) / MAF sensor. Looking up what this could mean.

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #53
cableguy0

the map sensor is probably bad. its plenty old enough that it could be bad. also if it was replaced with a non gm unit its probably bad. the aftermarket ones dont last
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #54
chevymotocross

Nice truck. Looks like you have some nice mods on that TBI. Looks to be performance intake manifold and Ultimate TBI mods.

I would not run open headers on a TBI truck... it will sound horrible.

Also, with long tube headers and TBI, you will probably have to get a 3-wire O2 sensor since the stock TBI o2 sensors won't work correctly in headers since they don't heat up good enough for o2 readings.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #55
Desert1957

I know you guys have answered his question about the hard brake booster line but here are some pics off my 87 350 (forget about the 92 engine) the intake and wiring is all stock 1987.

The hard line keeps the check valve away from engine heat. Also nothing can restrict this line or brake booster performance will suffer.
Note: location along firewall, this is the factory setup.

These engines run crappy with a bad map sensor (full rich) any slight vacuum leaks will cause iratic idle speed and lean engine ping / which can lead to cracked exhaust manifolds.

Do not forget to disconnect the EST wire at the firewall before setting ignition timing / seen this mistake alot.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #56
Sparkplug79

looks like you got a holley tbi unit on there, idk if anyone else said that already, i didnt see if they did.
Sparkplug79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #57
Ricky78045

hey, im 26 feel 16 lol with my truck. its an 88 5.7 350 small block.. my exhaust sounds kinda beefy, except the fact i dont have any after market cams/crank, or anything with a rough idle.. I run headman headers, each side has its own muffler *no y-pipe or x-pipe* into its own 40 series flowmaster, dumped right after the cabin of the truck, personally i think it sounds beautiful makes me feel like a kid at a toy store, let me see if i can get a video of it here.. or at least a link to youtube where i have mine, (keep in mind that im recording with my phone on the other one, so the sound gives it no justice lol)

1988 Chevrolet Silverado Single Cab, Short bed, 350, 5.7L: daily driver/on a budget restoration

Last edited by Ricky78045; 04-24-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Ricky78045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #58
87gmcsierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpine View Post
map sensor ? ff14 below?
long overgrown contraption? where? with the lid? mm53
Brake Booster ? uu52 = Round thing on the right near the firewall?
pcv = ll37? where the duct tape is now? Where can I get that or the part number?

sorry.. I need autorepair for Dummies.

Really do appreaciate the help and information!

BTW, not sure if it's been done or exist, but it would be a huge and valuable service to have a picture (online) of the Chevy Small block with every component labeled. If I knew enough, I would do it.
Is that a holley TBI? If so get rid of that right away those holley TBI's are junk man i went threw 2 of them had nothing but bad luck with em, it made my 87 ping and run sluggish as hell i just rebuilt my stock tbi and the pinging went away. Screw those holley tbi's tho man lol

Last edited by 87gmcsierra; 04-24-2010 at 09:01 PM.
87gmcsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #59
cyberpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87gmcsierra View Post
Is that a holley TBI? If so get rid of that right away those holley TBI's are junk man i went threw 2 of them had nothing but bad luck with em, it made my 87 ping and run sluggish as hell i just rebuilt my stock tbi and the pinging went away. Screw those holley tbi's tho man lol
It is, and I now have two mechanics telling me to do the same thing. What would you go with? a carb? which one? Should I keep the Edelbrock intake manifold? if I do go with a simple carb do all those sensors go away too the Map sensor and EGR?

How tough of a job to do the swap?

Thanks.