The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #51
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Your favorite thing about a 60-66?

MY ex wife hated it!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #52
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel714x4 View Post
there american you can beat that!!!!!! when i was little my dad got me 61 swb, for a project i used to go out in the feilds and just drive the gas out of that thing. the worst a** beatin i ever got was over that truck. the sun was in my eyes i was bout 10 and i came around the barn and BAM!!!!!!! my dads freshly painted 75 280z datsun. i thought it was a log or something so i just gave it more gas. i never have liked imports or leather belts since
Cool story! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #53
trevota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
MY ex wife hated it!

best reason right there. close thread!
trevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #54
REDNOSE65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav62 View Post
my favorite things about 60-66's are...

That there are two in our driveway...

chiflado!!!

LOS HITTERS C.C
DALLAS, TEXAS

The making of a Red Nose...
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=396518
REDNOSE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #55
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

To me it was the transition from traditional to modern. An exercise in styling that ran it's course succeeded then let go to the mundane. I enjoy it more, watching my truck being driven by other people. The smile on their face, a grin from side to side. A flat head screwdriver, a Philips screwdriver, 7/16" 1/2" 9/16", a hammer, spark plug socket,pliers, and you got the basic tool kit covered. Another Dealer Accessory I don't have yet. The colors and combinations that were available then, and the colors you can set yourself apart with now. The stance in stock form and the grace of the newer bagged suspension. Laying frame makes the truck look like the dog you grew up with, waiting for you to come and play. In stock form it displays confidence.
I like the idea that every panel allowed itself to be it's own feature. I like how all these features blend together. The thought of a group of guys together at a drawing board, looking at the present time of the advancement of the airplane and applying the ever futuristic memories of the excitement of the 50's.
I like that it catches your eye in an instant that you glimpse a section of it. You know what it is from a mile away, that you'll wait in anticipation to see if it is really, and the satisfaction when close to you, it is.
I like the inquisitive questions of others, who don't recognize those years.
I appreciate the guy who takes longer looking it over, looking in all the little corners, studying the layout of the interior. Steel where it needs to be, multi layered fabric and vinyl that draws you into the past. He once had one!
I like how she fit the seat, seated with her two little feet on the center hump,my arm around her shoulder. Were young again, were driving.
I like how he stands on the seat, eyes glued to the road, tiny hands wrapped around the immense steering wheel, that all others will be compared too. Yes, we'll do it again sometime. I promise.
I like how people point and smile, thumbs up, a wave.
I like that the old guy who had one just like this, but the year is off by decade.
I like when someone asks if they can touch it, as if a little of the magic that you have, can be transmitted to them.
It's really the feeling that you get from it.
The memories, the heartache, the rush.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 03-30-2010 at 07:49 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #56
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Wow, great observations. All of the above thoughts really summarize better than focusing on any of the specific features. Two of your comments particularly sparked my interest:

"To me it was the transition from traditional to modern. An exercise in styling that ran it's course succeeded then let go to the mundane". That really is why I like this series of truck. It stands unique between the curvy smooth Advanced Design, and the newer flatter smooth trucks that followed. Every piece of sheetmetal has character. I was in the Marines in 1967 and one of our duty trucks was a 60-66 Chevy 1/2 ton short stepside. We also received a brand new 67 Chevy 1/2 ton short stepside, and collectively the crew was disappointed it was so boring looking by comparison. It reminded us of an old Studebaker.

"I like the idea that every panel allowed itself to be it's own feature". As a pre-teenager with too much time on my hands, I was fascinated with the styling of my parents 1948 Oldsmobile 66 fastback. Divided into parts it was hard to imagine it could be assembled into a cohesive unit. The factory chopped top looked too small for the body, the hood was too long and deep, the front fenders looked too big, etc. But taken as a whole, it looked regal and powerful.

I recently read an article where I believe they claimed it was Harley Earl that came up with the concept - when a person walks all the way around a styling study, they should be constantly entertained by all of the individual details. Not sure that was ever applied to the 1960 Chevy truck, but it certainly does provide that level of visual interest. Later eliminating the jet pod hood and wrap around glass did make it more modern, at the same time migrating further away from what was originally a pretty radical design.

Thanks for putting your thoughts in writing.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #57
Hulk Will Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
To me it was the transition from traditional to modern. An exercise in styling that ran it's course succeeded then let go to the mundane. I enjoy it more, watching my truck being driven by other people. The smile on their face, a grin from side to side. A flat head screwdriver, a Philips screwdriver, 7/16" 1/2" 9/16", a hammer, spark plug socket,pliers, and you got the basic tool kit covered. Another Dealer Accessory I don't have yet. The colors and combinations that were available then, and the colors you can set yourself apart with now. The stance in stock form and the grace of the newer bagged suspension. Laying frame makes the truck look like the dog you grew up with, waiting for you to come and play. In stock form it displays confidence.
I like the idea that every panel allowed itself to be it's own feature. I like how all these features blend together. The thought of a group of guys together at a drawing board, looking at the present time of the advancement of the airplane and applying the ever futuristic memories of the excitement of the 50's.
I like that it catches your eye in an instant that you glimpse a section of it. You know what it is from a mile away, that you'll wait in anticipation to see if it is really, and the satisfaction when close to you, it is.
I appreciate the guy who takes longer looking it over, looking in all the little corners, studying the layout of the interior. Steel where it needs to be, multi layered fabric and vinyl that draws you into the past. He once had one!
I like how she fit the seat, seated with her two little feet on the center hump,my arm around her shoulder. Were young again, were driving.
I like how he stands on the seat, eyes glued to the road, tiny hands wrapped around the immense steering wheel, that all others will be compared too. Yes, we'll do it again sometime. I promise.
I like that the old guy who had one just like this, but the year is off by decade.
I like when someone asks if they can touch it, as if a little of the magic that you have, can be transmitted to them.
Man, what well written comment. I mostly lurk and rarely post on here, but this just got me. It's been a few years since I sold my '68 ramp truck and I'm dying to get a '62 - '66 Suburban. I hadn't made the effort at this point to answer my wife's question "why?!" But man you answered it so many different ways. Nice job.
Hulk Will Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #58
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

"when a person walks all the way around a styling study, they should be constantly entertained by all of the individual details. "

Do you not find that feeling looking at all the variations of what is supposed to be, all the same truck, on this forum. Each member has crafted his own styling exercise. Can you honestly say, that you can't tell one individual truck from another. Each have their own personal signature. Whoever was the one to have created the original, must surely smile at the little, to knock them over the top versions, that the members have contributed.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 03-30-2010 at 08:08 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #59
Broke1

they are a little different in looks but have there own style i like truck as a whole
Broke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #60
Deryl

"when a person walks all the way around a styling study, they should be constantly entertained by all of the individual details"

At least for me, when you see any individual body part, you know what it is and where it goes.

The best descriptor I have heard was last weekend when I got out at a convenience store a guy walked by and said "that's class". He was right. That's why I drive the truck.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #61
collins10672

i read a article a few years back about harry bentley bradley the man who designed the 1967 chevy truck.he went to work at the chevrolet truck design studio in 1962.they were starting new design ideas for the 67 truck then.he came up with a set of sketch drawings for the 67 truck and showed them to his boss.the drawings were a facelifted 1964-66 truck.as it goes when his boss looked at them,he was so taken by the great art work and design that he told him to throw them in the trash because they were wanting a completely new truck and that if gm corporate officials saw them they would never let the styling studio design a completely new truck.also he said that after they came up with the new 67 that gm officials still wanted to use the 55-66 rear stepside fenders on the new truck.so he took it upon himself to design the 67 rear stepside fender and mock it up in clay and that after gm bigwhigs saw it he won them over to the new style rear fender.i read this in truck magazine a few years ago about how the new 1967 truck design came to be.i would love to been able to have seen the sketches of the new facelifted 64-66 truck,too bad it did not get into production.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #62
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

yeah that would be cool to see what harry could do to facelift the 64-6, he does some great work
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #63
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I agree, I'd love to see what his redesign looked like. I wonder what someone like Chip Foose could come up with for a newly designed hood, leaving the rest of the truck stock. It would have been nice if GM had redesigned the hood in 1964 to go with the new windshield. At least that would provide one more to pick from.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #64
jbgroby

For me and my GMC it's the roof lip, and the fact that there truck were the bridge between the fat fenders and modern slab sides.

Our trucks are the last years of any deep curves on the main body for quite awhile until the mid '90's when Dodge popped out the new fat fender design.

But all that's been said.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #65
chevyrestoguy

From what I remember, the 60-66 trucks were the "stepchildren" of the Chevy truck line back in the 70s, and I could never understand why. Maybe it's because when the 1973 models came out, all of the previous designs became much less popular. The 1973s were a ground-breaking design that started the trend where trucks became less of a workhorse and more of a sport truck. As far as the 60-66 models, I always liked the look, especially the roof line and the grilles. My uncle owned one back in the day, and I used to always look it over. I was an adolescent who was a car nut, and I always wanted to build a 60-66.

I went through a Camaro and Chevelle stage, and back in 1985, I saw a '63 at a local cruise night that was lowered and I fell in love all over again. To me, the low headlights look awesome when the truck is hugging the pavement. I also like the dashes and the factory options that were available. I've driven Fords and Dodges of the same years, and the Chevys and GMC trucks were LIGHT YEARS ahead in every aspect. Even to this day, look at how many 60-66 trucks are still on the road versus the Fords and Dodges. The numbers are huge, and it's a true testament to how well the trucks were engineered and built.

I've owned and built very many 1955-present Chevy and GMC trucks, but the 60-66s hold a special place for me.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #66
DaddyMack
Wide Eyed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav62 View Post
Thanks!

Actually, my favorite thing is the body style, especially 60-63 with the wrap around windshield and the forward leaning a-pillars. The 64-66's are also very sexy in my opinion, just a little more 'modern' feel to them, where as the earlier models still have a taste of the 50's.

What he said and the suspension, being way ahead of its time...

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=294723

Final (as final can be ) Pics: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393441
DaddyMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #67
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
The 1973s were a ground-breaking design that started the trend where trucks became less of a workhorse and more of a sport truck.
That's a very astute observation I hadn't really thought about since 1973. I knew several people that bought new trucks between 1962-1972, and most were used as trucks. The few that were well optioned were purchased to haul campers, almost always being a long bed fleetside, and the owner wanted it to be upgraded since they would be living in it.

But I remember clearly when the 1973 Chevys came out the neighborhoods and parking lots were crowded with brand new short bed stepsides. It was a cool truck to have and started a trend. It seemed like every other one was painted black, with metallic blue or turquoise close behind in popularity. There was a black one a couple houses down from us I certainly lusted after. I always liked the styling of the 60-66 trucks, but in retrospect I believe it was the overwhelming popularity and cool factor of the 73 that actually got me thinking about owning one.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #68
JRBECK64

You just cant beat the lines of this truck. The whole truck Screams Classic.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #69
creep
Registered Loser

I have to admit, I didn't really care too much for them until my buddy sent me pics of the 63 GMC his uncle was selling. I guess I just never paid too much attention to them before I bought one. Now I notice a lot of things I like. It would be easier to list what I don't like, the fact that it's in pieces right now and I can't drive it yet!

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #70
shrunken66stroker

Long straight body lines, roof lines, small back window(yeah I said it), bed wood and the lines on the hood that come to a point in the front.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #71
andyh1956

for me it's what has already been said: short front fenders, roof lines & last of classic chevy lines before the round fendered trucks. also not to take away from the 67-72 trucks & owners but it is no secret that 60-66 trucks are less expensive to buy- just not as popular as the round ones. but i spose that is part of my fondness for them, kinda "black sheep" of the chevy family.
lastly, the look you get from folks you pass by on the street. like from the guy in the 1980 ford f 150 sitting at the stop sign leaking oil on the pavement. that just does it for me!
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #72
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I like that the hood includes a good portion of the sides, making it easier to access the engine compartment.

I like that theses trucks are modern enough and still classic old enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #73
broey
Square

smog exempt!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #74
fasteddie1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
You just cant beat the lines of this truck. The whole truck Screams Classic.

JRBECK64
I agree....
Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #75
MisterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
Thank to you Aero, for writing this and Thanks to LostMy65 for bringing this thread back. I had never seen this one before and it most definitely was an emotional read.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote