The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #51
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
... but at the same time it was built correct.
so why don't the wheels fit?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #52
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
so why don't the wheels fit?
off the shelf $350 a piece wheels don't fit and there's no way in hell that I'm spending $1000 a wheel for a billet.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #53
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverter View Post
Thats the problem w/low end(off the shelf) wheels,,they are for unmodified vehicles and dont offer bs to accomodate. If the trucks worth keeping,its worth a proper set of wheels.1K a wheel sounds like alot but its worth every penny when you consider all the benefits.
Keep lookin,,I guess,or run some small steelies...I like that look.
I'll more than likely run a small wheel.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #54
Shane
Account Suspended

Pretty sure there is a very valuable lesson in planning that can be learned because of this post.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:09 AM   #55
leftcoast66

Quote:
Pretty sure there is a very valuable lesson in planning that can be learned because of this post.

Good luck.
Seems to be a recurring theme.

Good luck finding a wheel that will fit with what you've got off the shelf. You've gotta pay to play, cuz your going to spend the money one way or another, so might as well make it with the simplest parts.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #56
The Big Green

Sooo, what you guys are saying is that it would have been best to have a under a big shade tree bag job and $1000 a piece Intro wheel? I'm a go big type a guy but not a type that wants to take a loan out for wheels. I still need a bed floor, along with a lot of stuff that's way up on my list of priorities but I gots no wheels lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #57
The Big Green

I'm almost correct, Intro Twisted Vistas, $4495. I've thought about it and my morgage is way more important. Looks like I'm unbagging my truck and going hot rod again.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #58
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I don't think anyone here is trying to tell you to unbag your truck, or not to run 24s. I do however think that it aggravates people when you won't acknowledge the advice they are giving you.
WHICH IS: you are going to have to find a wheel that fits. If u want I'd be happy to meet you over at jj's or you could come over to my shop and I'll help you measure to find out exactly what backspacing will work.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #59
The Big Green

I am listening to most of these guys, the ones that know what they are talking about. I know that I can't afford wheels like Billets, can't afford a DM, and won't cut my frontend to allow these 24's. I do know that this trucks not going with less than 22/24 because that's what this truck was built for. I've got a LOT going on and I know I sound like a butthead but I can't afford anything recommended. However, I have money for 22/24 but nothing specially made or designed for me. I can't run 20's again and have like 6inches of notch that's not used. Now, I know a wheel that can be bought from a store will fit but with my budget as far as wheels go im limited. People can say that no standard wheel will fit but they will. The wheel is 10in wide and 6.29, or anything that's equal to that if a different width.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #60
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I give up... I'm out
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #61
The Big Green

I'm done, I give up with this forum. There's a reason I always built fast trucks and not bagged trucks. Bye bye Chevy forum!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #62
greystoke

I'm sure you can get what you want, just have to figure out how. I'm not going to give advice cause I'm like a new born deer when it comes to suspension and backspace. Just don't get frustrated...step back and the answer will come

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305629
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #63
bedsled71

Quote:
This has crossed my mind. There's atleast 4-5inches on the back.
Only thing is there's a lip where the lugnut holds the wheel to the rotor that can't be taken off.
i dont understand this part of your wheel. and why it cant be machined? can you show a picture of this "LIP" ?
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #64
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I'm done, I give up with this forum. There's a reason I always built fast trucks and not bagged trucks. Bye bye Chevy forum!
I really don't understand what you want us to say. Everyone has offered advice along the way, but it's not what you want to hear so you ignore advice from the amateur as well as the professional. Twice now bagged74 has offered to give you hands on assistance. You ignored his offers. I'm not sure what more can be done.

I understand things change in life and unforeseen financial issues arise. I don't feel this was the case here. You went in to this project with goals that were above your financial capability. We all do that from time to time, but at some point you have to accept what your limitations are.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #65
FnLow69

Quote:
I am listening to most of these guys, the ones that know what they are talking about. I know that I can't afford wheels like Billets, can't afford a DM, and won't cut my frontend to allow these 24's. I do know that this trucks not going with less than 22/24 because that's what this truck was built for. I've got a LOT going on and I know I sound like a butthead but I can't afford anything recommended. However, I have money for 22/24 but nothing specially made or designed for me. I can't run 20's again and have like 6inches of notch that's not used. Now, I know a wheel that can be bought from a store will fit but with my budget as far as wheels go im limited. People can say that no standard wheel will fit but they will. The wheel is 10in wide and 6.29, or anything that's equal to that if a different width.
So its a catch 22 then, theres nothing you can do! Either order wheels with proper backspacing or narrow your control arms (make'em fit, might not be the best but it would work). Those are your only choices the way i see it?

Justin
FnLow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #66
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Quote:
I am listening to most of these guys, the ones that know what they are talking about. h.
N2trux.... Apparently this is not me. Lol
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #67
tucn1ton

i listen to you tracy..lol..i mean bagged 74..
tucn1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #68
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green
People can say that no standard wheel will fit but they will. The wheel is 10in wide and 6.29, or anything that's equal to that if a different width.
Do the wheels need to be tucked more to avoid hitting the outside sheet metal? The cure is narrowing the track width (either shadetree/budget or other method). If the issue is interference w/the inner structure (hitting the a-arms or frame) you could always narrow the wheel from the back side for less over-all back-spacing.

Quote:
Looks like I'm unbagging my truck and going hot rod again.... I know that I can't afford wheels like Billets, can't afford a DM, and won't cut my frontend to allow these 24's. I do know that this trucks not going with less than 22/24 because that's what this truck was built for.... I can't run 20's again.
One last thought.... There's no reason to give up just because you can't get an off the shelf wheel (that was never intended for your truck) to fit. Why is it soooooo critical to have the wheels this freakin' second? My personal observation is you sound like your pouting because you can't have what you want RIGHT NOW. If the truck was built for a 22/24 combo, stick w/your plan & start saving up for the purchase a little @ a time vs. running out & buying whatever right now.

One last departing thought: Just because it has 24" wheels all around (or a 22/24 combo) does not mean it will be great. 24" wheels can look great if the right back spacing & tire sizes are chosen...... but 20's; or dare I say 15's..... can look just as good . . ....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #69
bedsled71

my thought would be shave down the back of the wheel at the hub mounting surface. thats how most off the shelf wheels get their backspacing anyways
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #70
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Save up your money and get a wheel thats works. Be patient it will have a much better result. You plan on keeping the truck right? Whats the hurry? Let it ride as is for awhile if you need too.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #71
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sooo, what you guys are saying is that it would have been best to have a under a big shade tree bag job and $1000 a piece Intro wheel? I'm a go big type a guy but not a type that wants to take a loan out for wheels. I still need a bed floor, along with a lot of stuff that's way up on my list of priorities but I gots no wheels lol.
What they are saying is don't order Filet Mignon if you only have the funding for Quarter Pounder.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #72
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I really don't understand what you want us to say. Everyone has offered advice along the way, but it's not what you want to hear so you ignore advice from the amateur as well as the professional. Twice now bagged74 has offered to give you hands on assistance. You ignored his offers. I'm not sure what more can be done.

I understand things change in life and unforeseen financial issues arise. I don't feel this was the case here. You went in to this project with goals that were above your financial capability. We all do that from time to time, but at some point you have to accept what your limitations are.
I never said I didn't want help. I know I need any help I can get.

It's hard to see moods and facial expressions thru words. I can be fully understanding and listening but if I don't type every word correct people get mad, that's why I hate forums unless I know people and they know my sense of humor. I'm a 4x4 guy, along with hot rods, and the bs is simple on the 4x4, the less bs the better. It doesn't have to be correct to the inch, no limit on wheels, and they are cheap even beadlocks. I went into this project with Bagged74's buddy aka tucn1ton, and everything he said that needed done or needed done better I said yes. In the end it was better than any job around this pos town, and the only '67 laying pinch weld. I still need lots of bodywork done, and the bed floor by this guy, so the wheels needed to be ones I liked but the budget part of my build, but it seems it will be the most expensive part, more in my wheels than the truck laying frame on a 4-link and notch for a 32in tire. The wheels would be more than all that and the labor, and thats not even tires. I do listen to people, may not like hearing it but my ears are open. After I say I can't afford anything but a stock bs off the shelf wheel people still tell me what I already stated I could never buy. I the billet wheels were $300 a wheel I'd have to ask if I can make payments lol. This tire dealer in town lets me pay on wheels and tires for as long as I need, so thats a huge plus for my wheel purchase. If I can't use any of their wheels then I have to unbag the truck via frame swap, or pull the 3in spindles, run 15's and not lay and I don't want to have something not laying out.

So, I'm sorry to everyone, and when I get into my new house on Jan. 29th I can slowly do my floor and bodywork and very possibly a frame swap back on 15's. Truck looked just perfect with that setup for the 13 years I've had it, until the day I just had to bag it. Trucks useless, can't dd it, and can't haul anything, may as well be a car lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #73
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedsled71 View Post
i dont understand this part of your wheel. and why it cant be machined? can you show a picture of this "LIP" ?
I suck at words on the computer. Ok, when the lugnut goes in theres the lip on the wheel in there that allows the tightening of the wheel. I haven't measured but I bet there would be nothing left for the lugnut to grab a hold of if I machined this.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #74
The Big Green

Quote:
What they are saying is don't order Filet Mignon if you only have the funding for Quarter Pounder.
May be, but there's always the option of washing dishes?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #75
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Do the wheels need to be tucked more to avoid hitting the outside sheet metal? The cure is narrowing the track width (either shadetree/budget or other method). If the issue is interference w/the inner structure (hitting the a-arms or frame) you could always narrow the wheel from the back side for less over-all back-spacing.

One last thought.... There's no reason to give up just because you can't get an off the shelf wheel (that was never intended for your truck) to fit. Why is it soooooo critical to have the wheels this freakin' second? My personal observation is you sound like your pouting because you can't have what you want RIGHT NOW. If the truck was built for a 22/24 combo, stick w/your plan & start saving up for the purchase a little @ a time vs. running out & buying whatever right now.

One last departing thought: Just because it has 24" wheels all around (or a 22/24 combo) does not mean it will be great. 24" wheels can look great if the right back spacing & tire sizes are chosen...... but 20's; or dare I say 15's..... can look just as good . . ....
Yes, by and inch, but I've thought about it and I'm not cutting my arms up, and having it in the shop once again. This was a dd until the bags. The rest of the work will be done by me, trucks seeing no more shops, but mine, I get it Jan. 29th.