The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #51
JORGIE95961

Re: Have you guys seen this roller pait job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
well said
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #52
Asshat

This looks like it might be worth a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #53
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'm glad you found this and brought it up! If I could buy the right color of orange for even $100 I'd try it. Not desperate for paint yet, but the ~30 year old clear coat is peeling in places. Paint from the local supplier is way more than $100.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #54
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I'm glad you found this and brought it up! If I could buy the right color of orange for even $100 I'd try it. Not desperate for paint yet, but the ~30 year old clear coat is peeling in places. Paint from the local supplier is way more than $100.
The biggest con to this type of paint job is durability. I have heard that it may not last much longer than a year, depending on how long the vehicle is exposed to the elements. I'm still on the fence - I don't really mind the patina on my truck, however, it would be nice to have a nicer two-tone paint job.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #55
SkinnyG

My daily driver ('77 C10) is rolled Tremclad, unthinned, three coats. Tremclad is an Alkyd Enamel, and the Canadian Equivalent of Rustoleum.

It has enough orange peel to cause cancer sores, but it's an old Chevy and it's just going to keep rusting, and I'm not in love with it enough to make it prettier.

It's been 7 years since I painted it, and it's holding up well in areas that are not continuing to rust. It does slowly go chalky from the sunlight, which makes it look like an old truck, which it is. Touch-ups are easy, just scuff, dip, and roll.

While you can thin the paint, and sand between coats for the most luxurious shine, it all depends what you want.

I'd do it again on something I'm not worried about.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #56
AcampoDave

I painted this with a mix of Rustoleum Royal Blue, Hunter Green, and White. I shot it thru a Harbor Freight syphon gun over various kinds of primer. Its been over a decade now and has spent most of it's time in a carport. The pics are older and the truck could use a re-spray now, but it was my first start to finsish paint and body job. I did it all myself in the carport.
Even today it still looks good but the paint has gotten a bit rough and a little dull. People can say what they want but for a grand total of around 300 bucks I would do it again.

As a matter of fact...I did do it again on a shortbed this time with Almond.
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #57
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I painted this with a mix of Rustoleum Royal Blue, Hunter Green, and White. I shot it thru a Harbor Freight syphon gun over various kinds of primer. Its been over a decade now and has spent most of it's time in a carport. The pics are older and the truck could use a re-spray now, but it was my first start to finsish paint and body job. I did it all myself in the carport.
Even today it still looks good but the paint has gotten a bit rough and a little dull. People can say what they want but for a grand total of around 300 bucks I would do it again.

As a matter of fact...I did do it again on a shortbed this time with Almond.
That looks pretty damn good! I would do mine just like that two-tone, except red.

Did you use a clear coat?
Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #58
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
My daily driver ('77 C10) is rolled Tremclad, unthinned, three coats. Tremclad is an Alkyd Enamel, and the Canadian Equivalent of Rustoleum.

It has enough orange peel to cause cancer sores, but it's an old Chevy and it's just going to keep rusting, and I'm not in love with it enough to make it prettier.

It's been 7 years since I painted it, and it's holding up well in areas that are not continuing to rust. It does slowly go chalky from the sunlight, which makes it look like an old truck, which it is. Touch-ups are easy, just scuff, dip, and roll.

While you can thin the paint, and sand between coats for the most luxurious shine, it all depends what you want.

I'd do it again on something I'm not worried about.
You gotta post some pics.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #59
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yeah - I hear what you are saying. I'm not in a big hurry, still have things to do to make the truck easier to drive. But, eventually, it would be nice to heave a clean-looking truck to cruise.
I did paint a car about 20 years ago, in a garage. I'm surprised I got away with it; had a few a-hole negihbors. Really a lot of work for a garage though, probably damaged my lungs a bit, even though I used a mask the whole time. And, it pains me to think about that, since I never should have sold that 1972 Malibu Chevelle... damn.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #60
AcampoDave

No clear for me, just good ol' wax and polish and most importantly...now I'm parking them in the garage.

Even with cheap paint, good prep work is still very important. The nice part is that if you get done and find you wish you had done a better job with bodywork or blocking it out, or whatever, it's easy and cheap to redo a panel and shoot it again. I actually had to shoot the entire torquise color on the longbed again because my primer wasn't as smooth as I thought. And, I shot the roof of the shortbed again because I forgot about my White Birch tree and all the damn seeds that fell into the fresh paint when I pushed the truck into the sunny driveway to speed dry the white.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #61
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
Yeah - I hear what you are saying. I'm not in a big hurry, still have things to do to make the truck easier to drive. But, eventually, it would be nice to heave a clean-looking truck to cruise.
I did paint a car about 20 years ago, in a garage. I'm surprised I got away with it; had a few a-hole negihbors. Really a lot of work for a garage though, probably damaged my lungs a bit, even though I used a mask the whole time. And, it pains me to think about that, since I never should have sold that 1972 Malibu Chevelle... damn.
I repainted the roof of my truck after I cleaned it up (removed the CB antenna, etc.) in my parent's-in-law's garage a little over 5 years ago. I used catalyzed polyurethane so I got a Tyvek coverall and a filter mask for the paint. That stuff can kill you. I've painted many a vehicle with lacquer and actually prefer it. I shot them in my parent's and my own driveways over the years. Can't get it in California, now. I think. I never wore a mask when painting with lacquer, but that was all outside. Nice crisp, dry morning in southern California, it's a piece of cake.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote