The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #51
Willys47

Re: Where did your love of 67-72's come from?

It was back in 1982. I had just started driving and my buddies father had a 1968 3/4 GMC custom that he would let me use to take us swimming. He was just happy he didn't have to drive us anymore. Well my bud Jim got to talking to this girl. Jim could talk about anything and he started talkin about his dads truck. She countered by talking about her boyfriends 1965 Chevell that she had drove to the pool. They both thought they had the best things on wheels. Well wouldn't you know it we saw her after swimming at the stop light on the main highway. I was driving and Jim got her attention. The race was on. I thought it was a joke at first. My mistake. She got me on reaction time off the light and pulled ahead through the first half of the intersection. I put the hammer down to the floor and the 396 came to life. I had never felt that kind of power before!! The front drivers side of the truck lifted like it was driving over a large speed bump in the road. By the time we were through the lights we were neck and neck and movin fast past the 65. I think that was the moment that I had it. The want, the need to have one of those trucks with a big block. Crap- 28 years later I have never gotten over that.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #52
Robert Bergstrom

Needed a truck to haul my life in when I went to college in 1980. It was a blue 70 stepside with a 250/4 speed (stock) and I was the second owner (68,000 miles). Could haul my whole life in that thing. Kept it for 20 years and then sold it (kids, ect..). Now have a 72 SWB Cheyenne Super which I am totally restoring. I like this body style and the fact it is for me and one other person only (my wife). It is also old school and something I can fix, whatever the problem is.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #53
cheyenne shortstep

I got it bad from my uncle Brysen, he always said '72 Chevy trucks were the best trucks ever built. He got his first one when I was 15 [1983 ? he was probably 22] it was a K-20 Cheyenne with 350/4spd, buckets/console, tilt, tach, A.C. and factory 8" wheels and hubcaps. I went with him to buy it and it was love at first sight for both of us. He bought it from the daughter of the original owner who had recently passed away, and the thing was beautiful white w/blue interior and orig. paint. When I got my D.L. he would let me drive it sometimes and once or twice I even got to drive it to school, boy did I think I was hot stuff as these trucks were considered the baddest truck you could drive at that time. This truck met a tragic fate and my cousin was killed when the truck went of a cliff in '85. My uncle got another '72 K-20 a few years later but it was a well worn no option, rusty ex-lifeguard stepper that has been restored twice and he still owns and drives.

Fast forward to '98 and my desire to own a short step '72 has not gone away. Well a friend buys a real nice partly primered '72 Cheyenne short step from a co-worker and tells me he plans on cutting it up to build a pre-runner. I could not let this happen so I talked him into selling it to me, finally a short step '72 and a real Cheyenne to boot. Was originally a I6/4spd but someone had done a half decent 350/350 conv. so a minimal of straightening and finding the correct truck bracketry was all that was needed to make it look right but swapped that motor out for a '71 Vette 350 hp that I scored. P.O had installed factory tach and I added tilt w/'65 Vette wheel and buddy buckets as well as power windows to round out the interior, drop spindles and heated rear springs give it the right attitude. The truck came with Ansen Sprint slot mag wheels which I think are the only way to go with these trucks so I was stoked, just a little polish and a lot of elbow grease and the were lookin' good. I put 100k mi. on it in 5 yrs.

Still have this truck and just got her back on the road after a 7 yr sit. In between I had a couple more as drivers, the most recent was a '70 Longhorn BB, A.C. O.G paint, my uncle still has the K-20 stepper as well as a '69 GMC short wide w/'72 Chevy clip and 5lug.

The love affair is still going strong.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #54
ebry710

Funny. Except for a 57 Chevy and a 63 Impala (new at the time), my dad always bought Fords or Dodges. In high school auto shop, I worked on my parent's Dodge Polara 383 4brl Card Duel exhaust. But those guys working on the 350 chevy had it made. Point adjustment from outside and other feature that showed Chevy learn to improve their engines, but kept them simple and fast.

1971 Chevy hood and grille is modern, sleek and beautiful. Matched with an engine that made Camaros sound great and move like a bat out of "!", left a great, lifetime impression.

"Torque Is Controlled Power"
ebry710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #55
scott's69
WORTHLESS CRUISERS

My love for these trucks came from back in 1969 when my Pawpaw bought his new. I was his only grandson and grew up riding in that truck with him. He loved that truck so much. He had so many offers from people to sell it. He refused every offer. When Pawpaw passed away, I got his truck. Now it still gets offers and obviously all are turned down. My kids will get this truck one day.
If you don't live for something, then you'll die for nothing. www.xclusive-images.com
scott's69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #56
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

Well... I have been a die-hard VW guy for 20 years, never owned any car that wasnt a VW--but, started going to Muscle car and rat rod shows around here and fell in love with the 67-72 body style- especially the 67-68- so I knew I had to have one - looked and looked for a 68 that fit my price range and the rest is history

btw, this used to be a local truck that made me fall for these trucks, it had exactly the look i'm going for -
Attached Images

Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #57
Tim Christian

My first ride is the 67 GMC I still own today. My Great uncle bought it new in 67 and it always sat under his carport. As a young boy I mowed his yard always drooling over the truck when he died I was 13 and he willed it to me. I have had this LOVE affair every since. She is the other women. Heck it even lead me into the job I have today!!! Love these trucks and Love this board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #58
BIG ORANGE

My dad had a 72 Cheynne Super 2tone Orange and white, L88 hood scoop and long sidepipes and slot chrome wheels. That truck was so fast!
I learned how to drive in that truck and some other things that I want mention here!I bought my 1st truck 16 yrs ago when my son was born and I still have that truck today and my son and I are in process of building him a 69 swb truck that he can drive back in forth to school.
Keep on truckin guys!

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #59
redbaron69

im in my early 30s and seems like someone in my family has always had a 67-72. just part of my family to me. just wouldnt be the same without a reunion, holiday dinner or cookout, and not seeing one parked outside. i love these trucks and so does my 2 year old, that to me is priceless. keep the old iron alive guys!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #60
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

we (3 kids) all grew up riding in my dads 67 short bed, all strapped in the front seat.

And the movie "ground hogs day" when bill murry drives one off a cliff, i was pissed because i was looking for one to buy at the time
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #61
05crewcab

I've always liked how these trucks look, but 4 things cemented the love affair with 67-72's:

1) the truck chase in Groundhog Day

2) Obannion's black truck in Dazed and Confused

3) The rusty old half blazer half swb plow truck in Beatiful Girls

4) Stacey David's Copperhead

I've also had a dream for quite a while...

my great grandpa had a 41 gmc 3/4 ton that sat in a barn from about 72 to 95 when we rescued it....prior to that he farmed with it for 30 years. My Aunt did a light resto on it and now drives it on the weekends.

My dad bought a 91 extended cab 4x4 new that I took my driver's test in and drove in high school quite a bit, and he now has a 2001.

and I was born in 81 and now have a 71, so...

I'd someday like one 3/4 ton of each decade: 41, 51, 61, 71, 81, 91, 01, 11, 21, etc
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #62
71 super

I like so many others on this board have owned several of these trucks over the years. My first truck was a 1972 short fleet cheyenne- 3 speed 350 with power brakes and power steering. My dad bought it for me when I was 15. I always had been around fords and he actually owned a 70 sport custom that he bought new and hated from day two, but he would not pass up a deal so he kept it, but i digress, he always liked the chevy body style and as the owner of his own body shop he was always running up on deals. The 72 was an original truck, one owner full wheel covers and seat belts still in plastic under the seat. He got it for $750 as a total and we rebuilt it. My first experience with it was him pulling it out of the paint shop and saying"I'm going to show you what this thing will do so you won't do it"- yeah right, he proceeded to do doughnuts etc. banging the old 3 speed around like no other. Fast forward to 1995- 8 motors including a tunnel ramand two fours nitrous m22 four speed and two tci manual valve body trans brake equipped transmissions, I wound up with a truck I could not drive in anything but a straight line. Truck had 408 sb that dynoed at 575 hp at crank, full roller valve train with solid roller .635 lift cam, pete jackson gear drive, 4.56 rear gear with eaton posi, s&w ladder bar set
up, 4000 stall etc.etc. Little motor was nasty! It also was very nearly the death of me, I broke my neck in a major accident in that truck in May of 2006, which sucked pretty hard but it pushed me to the other side of this hobby, because if it had not happened I would not have found my bb truck. Dad and i were going to restore it when he became ill and was discovered to have brain cancer, I started and finished that truck becuase of him and since 15 I have had at least 1 of this model truck and currently have 3. It is an addiction and I think I have a problem.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #63
Nova70

I've always liked the look but after driving mine I fell in love.

My uncle got it on an impound and I checked it out in his yard and told myself, "I want that truck." Well I kept talking to him telling him I really really wanted it and I would buy it as soon as I could get the money. My parents were looking for a truck to get me for graduation and after my dad saw the way I reacted to it, he said he knew that was the one. So a couple months later I graduated and got my '70 K10. Love my truck to death and wouldn't trade it for much.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #64
BIGBLU 72

My Dad had always had 67-72 chevy trucks for as long as i can remember. I rode in everything from a 72 CST K5, an ex-ambulance 71 Suburban to a 68 dump truck...it was ingrained on me early. Dad also had a 67 Nova SS so when i turned 12 i decided i wanted a Chevelle so i got a 67 on my 13th bday....for $300. well the chevelle never got off the ground and got sold. after that i asked my Dad for the 71 K5 that set in our yard but half way through the project my Dad's cancer preogressed and the K5 got sold. Dad gave me my 68 (his DD) when i turned 16 and after a week of driving it (illegally) i was in love. My dad lost his fight with cancer in May of that year and with the money i had saved for the 71 K5 I bought my 72 Jimmy which shared time with my 68 as my DD through highschool.
Ohh and my Dad had a parts biz (my profile pic) that focused on these trucks so i was always going to swap meets and stuff selling, looking for and buying parts.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #65
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
I like so many others on this board have owned several of these trucks over the years. My first truck was a 1972 short fleet cheyenne- 3 speed 350 with power brakes and power steering. My dad bought it for me when I was 15. I always had been around fords and he actually owned a 70 sport custom that he bought new and hated from day two, but he would not pass up a deal so he kept it, but i digress, he always liked the chevy body style and as the owner of his own body shop he was always running up on deals. The 72 was an original truck, one owner full wheel covers and seat belts still in plastic under the seat. He got it for $750 as a total and we rebuilt it. My first experience with it was him pulling it out of the paint shop and saying"I'm going to show you what this thing will do so you won't do it"- yeah right, he proceeded to do doughnuts etc. banging the old 3 speed around like no other. Fast forward to 1995- 8 motors including a tunnel ramand two fours nitrous m22 four speed and two tci manual valve body trans brake equipped transmissions, I wound up with a truck I could not drive in anything but a straight line. Truck had 408 sb that dynoed at 575 hp at crank, full roller valve train with solid roller .635 lift cam, pete jackson gear drive, 4.56 rear gear with eaton posi, s&w ladder bar set
up, 4000 stall etc.etc. Little motor was nasty! It also was very nearly the death of me, I broke my neck in a major accident in that truck in May of 2006, which sucked pretty hard but it pushed me to the other side of this hobby, because if it had not happened I would not have found my bb truck. Dad and i were going to restore it when he became ill and was discovered to have brain cancer, I started and finished that truck becuase of him and since 15 I have had at least 1 of this model truck and currently have 3. It is an addiction and I think I have a problem.
Great story harold....
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #66
Rob68c10

My story is a little different. I am turning 22 on Nov 7th. Way back when my go-cart was my mode of transport I would wake up every Saturday morning and watch Trucks with Stacey David. (Bet ya can't guess where this is going haha) So when project copperhead came on, I fell in love. I begged my dad to let me buy one for soooo long. I bet we looked at 12-15 trucks until I gave up. Then here I am ten years later and I have a project 68. And boy is it a project......
Rob68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #67
dan42

I gotta say, my dad never owned one of these trucks - he actually had a '69 International 4WD 3/4 ton he bought new and put a camper on - I remember going to the dealer with him and picking it up. I grew up in a (then) farming community - Ventura County, CA - and I always liked their look, though after the '69's came out, I thought the '67-'68's looked a little dated. In '80, after graduating college, I bought a black '72 Blazer that I drove to Utah and moved to the mountains. I remember shoveling 40" of snow off of it several times, and the old 350 would fire right up, even at 9000 feet. Drove it out to Iowa from there, back to California, and back to Utah. I traded it in for a '84 Nissan P/U - that's the one I regret getting rid of.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #68
capev86

When I was 3 years old (back in 1983) my dad bought a white on blue '72 Suburban C10. it was a custom deluxe model with 350/350 combo but it was also one of those upscale dealer promo trucks and included front a/c, tilt wheel, chrome cab lights, and those fancy plaid pattern seats. he put in a 305 with rv cam and hei, swapped over the stock q-jet, dual exhaust, 3/4 ton rear coil springs and modified a class 3 hitch from a salvage yard to fit.

since then he has had an 84 c10, an 87 c10 and just picked up a '99 c10 so it is only natural that i like burbs after 27 years of riding around in them. i picked up my 72 C20 custom deluxe model last year to pull the old '71 holiday trav'ler that we've had since 1984. i hope to take the pair traveling in the years ahead just like when i was a kid. i am replacing the sport mirrors with tripod mirrors like my dad's 72 and i installed the 7 blade fan from his truck. i salvaged the cab lights after we found his 72 in a local junkyard. they need to be re-chromed but they will look awesome installed, especially with that old trailer hitched up!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by capev86; 11-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #69
67cheby
67cheby

my grandfather raised me under my 67 , i learned how to drive in it and have always loved it , he drove it for 26 years , it has been mine for the last 7 years ,i hope by next year to see him cruising in the baddest 67 he could have ever possibly dreamed of !!! if i let him drive it much i will have to put some cheap tires on it ....he kinda like to burn the tires!! heres my grandfather and "Ol Blackie"
Attached Images

67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #70
LilD

My very first vehicle was a 72 long bed with a 6 and 3 spd. It was a shriners parade truck and only had 48,000 miles on it. My parents asked if I wanted to go to college or get a car? Duh! Stupid question to ask an 18 year old kid. I loved that truck though. I wouldnt even drive it in the rain. I bought $500 beaters and drove them in the rain and snow.
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #71
Cdshinne

I started admiring these trucks while watching Dazed and Confused when i was 13 or 14. Those of you that have seen the movie know what i am talking about and if you haven't you need to! I just knew i was going to end up with one someday. I started out with a 71 chevelle I got when i was 15 that i drove through high school until 2 years ago I loved that car and had to get rid of it for something more practical. Well i hated not having something to work on and i had acouple extra bucks so i went on the hunt for a 67-72. My buddy pointed out a 72 k20 in the autorv and i immediately fell in love! That next day i drove 2hrs with a trailer and hauled her home with my 2000 silverado, I am currently prepping the truck for paint and have no plans whatsoever of selling it!!!!
Cdshinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #72
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshinne View Post
I started admiring these trucks while watching Dazed and Confused when i was 13 or 14. Those of you that have seen the movie know what i am talking about and if you haven't you need to! I just knew i was going to end up with one someday. I started out with a 71 chevelle I got when i was 15 that i drove through high school until 2 years ago I loved that car and had to get rid of it for something more practical. Well i hated not having something to work on and i had acouple extra bucks so i went on the hunt for a 67-72. My buddy pointed out a 72 k20 in the autorv and i immediately fell in love! That next day i drove 2hrs with a trailer and hauled her home with my 2000 silverado, I am currently prepping the truck for paint and have no plans whatsoever of selling it!!!!
yup, daised and confused did it for me also.

i also think they rock on the race track See avatar
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #73
70c10-08

Thumbs up Re: Where did your love of 67-72's come from?

Actually no one in my family had one of these i grew up with 73-87s and 88 and 89 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had a lot of great memories in them my dad owned a constuction company so we had 4 or 5 of em we had a 76 custom deluxe that was so abused the passenger door would fly open on ya at random times lol anyway when i was 18 my mom decided i could get a project vehicle for my graduation gift i wanted something modern yet classic and after seeing many 67-72's in Classic Trucks Magazine it was a no brainer lol and parts are plentiful for em 2 and after i got my 70 c/10 long fleet my love 4em has grown and i wouldnt be where im at today if it wasnt for this site

Last edited by 70c10-08; 11-02-2010 at 12:03 AM.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #74
SIXT8LOU

my dad bought a brand new 69 c-10 custom in riverside at the auto center, and i used to drive it when he would let me when i was 15, it had US mags with 50 series tires, and was green on green. we all had lots of good times in that truck, camping, and driving all over the place... i wanted that truck so bad, he sold it to his sister cuz she needed a vehicle, the next thing i know its wrecked.....i was so ticked off.....i know one day i will have a 69 c-10 again......for now my 68 will do.
SIXT8LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #75
72shortstep
lovin' the lowcountry

When it came time for me to get my own vehicle, I really wanted an older chevy 4x4 to play with, but since most of those were rusted up or too expensive where I am, my dad looked for trucks while he was traveling on business. He spotted my '72 on the side of the road and took pictures with his camera (film) so I had to wait for him to get them developed before I could even see the truck, haha. I decided I wanted it, and he went and haggled with the guy on his next trip. We went to pick it up, and it was the first time I had ever ridden in a 3 on the tree and that 292 was a beast. It made the trip home just fine and I have loved that truck ever since. I have almost owned it for a decade now and finally can put some money into it after it sat during my college years. I will never forget learning how to drive it with my dad beside me on that bench seat laughing and cheering me on until I got the hang of it. I also just picked up a 71 short-stepper and a 70 cab and front clip with a title I want to use for a 4x4 build. Gotta love the addiction!

72 SWB stepside
71 SWB stepside

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
72shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote