The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #51
rsavage

Re: what do you guys do?

I have a BS and MS in education along with Principal certification (about 8 years of college overall). Obviously, I prepared to be a teacher and did so for a number of years in Corrections instead of a public school. Worked my way up through the ranks over the years and retired as a Superintendent of a large Correctional Facility with 1800 inmates and 800 employees a couple of years ago. I also always had a second job of some sort to feed my toy habit. Whatever you choose for a career, make sure that you can do as much for yourself as possible with your hands, such as remodeling, plumbing, mechanical work etc. when not working. I have always hated having to pay someone to do something for me. If you can do something for yourself, you will have more disposable income to use on other things. You don't necessarily have to go to college to make a good living. In fact, college can saddle you with thousands of dollars in debt that can take years to repay, and there is no guarantee that you will have a job at the end of your schooling. If you are mechanically inclined, you might look into a trade and/or trade school. There will be great future demand for those that can fix or build things, because it seems to me that fewer and fewer people know how to fend for themselves. If you are truly fortunate, you will be able to make a living for you and your family doing something that you love. Good luck in whatever path you follow.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #52
dougo

BA in Communications with a emphasis on Marketing/Advertising. Worked in the Outdoor Sporting Industry for a clothing manufacture when I graduated from college. 3.5 years into that, joined up with two other friends and we started up an online credit card processing company. I was responsible for operations, human resources, cash flow, etc.

From there, we created an incubator company and started a second company, an online search engine. We sold that company, I moved to a 3rd start up (we provided payroll check stock, with advertising on the back-side of the stubs) to companies like: United Airlines, Red Lobster, Kroger Co. Lost our financial partner... I closed down that company. I then joined another start-up - we developed an online platform for trading/selling online advertising. We sold that company to Microsoft. I had a 2 year post acquisition contract with Microsoft. I now work with a publishing company, responsible for the marketing and publicity of new book releases (with a focus on digital platforms). I'm also working on starting up another company in the pet industry (hopefully to go live within 120 days).

The college degree did get me in the door (required as part of the job), but it did not get me the job(s).

My advice - if you're young don't be afraid to take risk. Change is good, and often change can be unexpected (embrace it when it happens). Don't be afraid to push yourself into situations where you may not have all the answers or know what to do (you'll realize real quick that you have to improvise and just do it - and that will build confidence, give you the experience and answers you're looking for... and set you up for the next big thing). You can take more risk when you're younger (no family to support, or fewer obligations when you're young), but have a plan in place - a career path and set personal goals to achieve.

Be selfish in your career... nobody cares about you as much as you care about yourself, but be smart - plan. Manage your cash flow, stay out of credit card debt (on average the US american has about $5K in credit card debt).

When I graduated college ('94) I immediately bought a house - I needed a place to live, and I did not want to throw money at rent, and looked at it as an investment to get me to the next chapter (sold my '84 K5 Blazer to use as the down payment, road my bike to work for 1.5 years before I bought a car). Things are different these days (price of a house, hard to qualify for financing), but with the right plan - you can start young, and accomplish a lot.

One thing to keep in mind... is when I say "take risks" those risks have to be educated risks. Too many people take risks and end up with no return because they did not have a succession plan, or worst case - a plan to fall back on.

If you're passionate about something... research that industry/market and identify a ninche to focus on (but avoid over saturated markets/positions). If you're just interested in making a ton of money and chasing the dollar... go to school and get a degree in law and focus on family law (specialize in divorce), or get a job on wallstreet (both will be 90-100 hours + per week when you start to build your portfolio).

In the end... network. It's all about your network. People get the best jobs because they know somebody who get's them in the door. Business is built on relationships... and networking. Don't burn bridges... you never know when you might need that one person to open a door for you.

If you make money early on in your career - reinvest it... make that money work for you. Don't over spend.

I think I've rambled enough... but that's what comes to mind.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #53
Rich916

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Regretz View Post
Job wise how do you afford paying for all these trucks. I know you do a lot yourself but you gotta have a garage with tools. Jus wondering on what i should look into going to college for

I own a window cleaning business.
My advice would be get into any thing in the medical profession...Nurse, x-ray tech
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #54
POPO1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Measure, design, and sell wholesale to custom cabinetry. Also demo jobs and install sometimes.... Sample of a recent job...

I will echo the comments about living within your means. That being said...I buy and sell truck parts to not only fund my projects but give my family spending money each month. I always buy a part I see on here, craigslist, or ebay that's around half or less than what I've sold the part before....knowing I can either use it or flip it for a profit. Also will buy good parts that are ugly and clean them up to sell....especially a parts lot...

....more often than not though...having cash on hand when you go to look at parts means you can negotiate a good deal and many times the guy has a garage full of the stuff they're trying to get rid of so I make an offer I can live with it for it all....sometimes I get it...sometimes not....

Also have bought several parts vehicles with the plan the whole time to either part it out or to finish and sell it. Right now I own two trucks but neither will stay with me and neither runs (for now) I have a dream truck and I've been buying parts/tools for it as I find them for 2+ years. I eventually will build it when I have all the parts and tools needed.

Finally, networking and horse trading have been mentioned. Great idea. Found a great guy on craigslist who's super cheap on welding and on mechanical repairs. He has a 35+yr painter friend, a body guy friend, glass guy friend, tranny guy friend.... that helps out BIG time.
We also swapped out things for work...like I would take his welding tanks and fill them and he'd take the price of the refill plus $30 or so for my time off my labor bill. I also used an acct with a metal company to save him a couple hundred off some steel for a project and fronted the money for the steel. He took a lot off my labor bill for that...in the end I gave him a couple hundred cash for thousands of dollars worth of work and he and I were both happy with the deal!
Nice work man.
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #55
POPO1984

I planed on being a Firefighter and went to the local Academy right out of Highschool then completed my EMT course. While waiting for a job I started working as a Laborer for a small cities Street and Bridge department. I quickly became and operator and decided I wanted to be a Police officer.

I went to night school at U of H downtown and got hired as a Police Officer for the city I already worked for. So I basically transfered department and have been an Officer for 5 yrs now.

Im 26 yrs old i have 7 yrs in the texas municipal retirement system I dont make great money but I love where I work. Its a small town outside of Houston that I grew up in. I spend all my extra cash on my truck and now on stuff that I will need when my baby comes in May. I also put money in a deferred comp program offered through the city

Last edited by POPO1984; 11-29-2010 at 11:45 AM.
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #56
bigkountry
Family Man

Floor level supervisor at night, chicken farmer by day (part time working for the in-laws).

Currently going back to school for BS in organizational management in my "spare" time...lol.

I havent touched my truck in 6 months, but I have a nice pile of parts waiting for me in my shop.
bigkountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #57
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I work'd in a small engine shop for 11 yr's then at a NewHolland dealer ship for 7 yr's , work'd at a few other farm equipment shop's , left that to work as a "wheel'd vehicle mechanic" as a contractor at Ft.Campbell, Ky. last yr I took a Job as SoCom mechanic in Afghanistan .I have several cars/trucks that could of been really cool if I'd had more money back then, but I was also raise'n 4 boys. I've been colect'n tools for 30yrs now. one thing I've never done is let my self get in dept over my head.
with my current job I'll be able to biuld a nice (BIG) garage and finish pay'n off my house.
one thing I can say is I alway's had a job I loved and work'd with good people so it was always more like hang'n out with freinds rather than work !
here I have a 3 bay garage and a decent work shop and office, I have two local's that work for me that are great guy's we have a great time every day, I will actualy miss this place when I do go home .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #58
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

I install real estate signs and clean out REO properties. Signs are consistent money and the REO stuff is extra. Unusual job but owning my own business is kinda fun and the money is pretty good...

My newest venture is biotech stocks. My buddy is a freaking genius with stocks so going off his tips I'm up 70% in a month! Might start doing it a lot more.

If I had a dream job it would either be rocket science or project car/truck design. However, if I had to pick a growing field to get involved in for a career it would be green energy - Here in Cali everything will be going that way very soon anyways.

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #59
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Engineer. I skimp in a lot of areas (my home interior is done in Early American Dorm Room) in order to spend more on trucks and bikes.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #60
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Systems Engineer ... very little formal education past HS ... got most of a degree (just needed to take Engllish and pay a fee for an AS but I flaked on it) by way of getting my education in the Navy credited... have part of a degree in fine arts... (yeah, get a job off that bugger!)

I went from tunnel rat to network management to web development to building distributive, multi-tier applications in my 21 years with one client (and 5 employers.) Eventually experiance counts more than sheepskins... but it takes time to pan out.

My money management is not so great.. but Im getting better. Took the scissors to all the cards .. we'll be debt free (except out mortgage) in 4 years.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #61
Gobbles

I'm another Engineer, well engineer in training. I have eight more months of University to do next September. I'm on work experience right now doing process engineering. We extract and purify proteins from various meats.

I am considering getting a base welding degree after I complete my Undergrad, just for fun.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #62
notrailerqueens

i sell parts for peterbilts.
not a bad job. get to be around what i love, and do what i have a passion for. plus its cool to be a chick in a guys world.
gonna go back to school to get my associates and then bachlors in buisness management and inventory systems. good applicable degrees.

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #63
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Military for 20 years and still enjoy what I do, been 3/4's around the world and so many memories for a lifetime.....

Been collecting tools for 20 years and hoping my boys will enjoy my toys......

It does help that the wifey enjoys my projects.....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #64
pritch

I'm a construction superintendent. Commercial stuff-mostly schools up to $20 mill or so. I still laugh about that, someone like me in charge of a $20 million project. Oh well. A million dollars don't get you much of a building anymore. I started out finishing concrete. Did that for many years, until a bad fall woke me up and I knew I would need to get paid from the shoulders up from then on. I'd like to get out of it, maybe get into safety or something like that, something with less stress. One good thing-my wife works for the State of Utah, managing one of their' liquor stores. Gotta love home delivery!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 AM   #65
butternut1972

I am a project manager for a roofing and sheet metal contractor. We do mostly commercial and industrial work, alot of federal jobs, state jobs, and school districts. We cover an area from southern Oregon to Nome,Alaska. I worked my way up from the bottom of the ladder, lots of hands on and taking some night classes(online). My wife has always had a great job as well in a Pathology lab, We have always tried to stay out of debt and lived within our means. I agree with everyone here, do something you enjoy, save your money to enjoy life. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
butternut1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #66
lytemup454

I am currently working in the DE MIL world. We destroy old chemical weapons that the us had had in storage since the 40's. I joined the Navy as a welder and fabricator, traveled the world and loved it. When I got out of active duty I hired on the railroad. It's good money and the easiest interview I've ever had. He found out I was Military and filled everything out for me. I wanted to try something new and got on at the chemical weapons facility. With over time depending on how much I want to work, a 100k Isn't impossible. Plus I work 14 days a month. My advice would be join the military, It was the best thing I ever did personally and Professionally. The doors fly open for you when you say I just got out of the military. Good luck
lytemup454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #67
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Im 18 and a senior in HS, this thread is interesting..keep it comming guys

I dont make the best grades B's and C's mostly, a few A's

Considering vocational classes locally electrician/welding/automotive and considering military also any ideas?

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #68
Ironhorse

Just freshly retired this past Sept. and LOVING IT!! Spent 36 years working for the Boeing A/C Co. here in Wichita, Ks. Worked there as a tooler, mod mechanic and the last 31 years as a heavy equipment flight line operator. Cranes, aircraft tow tractors and lift trucks or fork lifts as some call them. Had some really interesting times moving aircraft in and around the ramp. Had security clearances up the whazzoo. Air Force One Presidential takes a very squeeky clean back ground.

Find something you are interested in and really like to do. Money isn't everything. Learn to live within your means and know the difference between "a want and a need".

My wife and I never owned but one new car in our life, '74 Dodge Charger ordered from the factory. After that I always bought nice vehicles but never a new one again. Never owned the fanciest house but it is comfortable and clean. Just put up my retirement playhouse, 35 x 50 on our two acres. Two oldest boys are thru school and working. Youngest son graduates college in Dec. (FINALLY ) No school loans, house is paid, no credit cards, vehicles paid. Now I get to play with my truck, '71 Chevelle SS, '57 Chevy 2dr and a '55 Chevy 2Dr. wagon.

Again, there has been a lot of good advice already said but I can not stress enough, learn what is a need and what is a want. Save for that rainy day as I guarantee sometime in the future it WILL pour. Good luck with your decision and have a great life doing it.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #69
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post

Considering vocational classes locally electrician/welding/automotive and considering military also any ideas?
Brother I can tell you that it is getting harder and harder to find any plumbers or electricians that do quality work. I have heard so many friends and family members complain about the same thing...no one to ca to help.....
nasqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #70
LEEVON

High school guys if you're thinking about going into the trades, I will tell you that elevator mechanics are consistently the highest paid tradesmen on all my projects. I review certified payrolls regularly and have yet to see a journeyman elevator mechanic banking less than $50/hr (burdens and union dues included). The ones I know personally are well educated professionals who are content with their work.

Elevator contractors generally do not get hammered like the other trades also because they are well established and they rule the roost so-to-speak. In the politics of commercial construction this means more stable hours, less drama, etc.

Last edited by LEEVON; 12-01-2010 at 11:57 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #71
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I flip burgers for a living and I do OK. Right now I'm off in Santa Rosa, CA opening the new store here. Its not the most glorious work, but it pays well enough and I enjoy it. Great company.

Even though school wasnt really my thing I miss it sometimes. Remember that they can never take your education from you.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #72
Mike Bradbury

I am a Facilities Manager at a large church in So Cal by day and a welding instructor at a local college by night. On the weekends I have a side welding business where I fab mostly gym equipment and some lighting trusses.
Make good money that pays the bills comfortably and enough to take the wife to Hawaii regularly. "If mamas happy everybody's happy". Daughter is going with us next time.

I have an AA degree and got it because my dad encouraged me to finish what I started. I did not see any point at the time because I knew I was not going to do anything that the Junior College was teaching me. Turns out that in order to be an instructor at the college you need to have at least completed some college yourself. Duhh! Glad I did instructors make $45 an hour. I love instructing much more than I thought I would.

Great advice here for young and old. Being in debt to someone is the pits. Live within your means. Save your money and pay with cash as much as you can. I can happily say that I am debt free except for the house, cars all paid for with cash, no C.C. debt.

Life is a series of choices, where you are tomorrow depends on the choices you make today.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #73
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I do process serving and legal support in business for myself. My wife works with me also.. I also used to have a small construction company and made money flipping houses when the real estate market was good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #74
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post

I got lucky---truly I did. I have a HS education with some college courses in math and physics. Mostly I have a mechanical/electrical background in HVAC and automechanics to add to that. I did 6 years in the Navy and worked steam propulsion plants and HVAC while there. I now work at a Nuclear Power Plant as a federally licensed Reactor Operator, but the people that they are hiring these days have one of two things--either a college degree in engineering OR people that have gone through a Power Plant Technologies course at a Technical school. This background can lead one to an imcome that has no end to it. I have Operators and mechanics in my plant making $40.00+ and hour and that is NOT with the overtime added on. With my license and Shift Manager position, my income also includes what we have as monthly license bonuses to maintain the license requaification requirements.

After my military time, I did a lot of everything---Heating and Air Technician, Custom kitchen and Bath installer, Heavy Equipment mechanic, managed a Farm Store/hardware outlet, but all of that led to me not being happy with my accomplishments and income. I went back to HVAC school to get caught up on what I had lost over the years and got a job working for a large contractor doing inductrial HVAC at the power plant that I now work as an operator.

Last edited by piecesparts; 12-02-2010 at 11:33 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #75
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Im a team leader and forklift driver for roguevalley door I really dont make much but I do love my job..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote