The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #51
blackmopar

Re: Tunnel Ram

way cool dude! sounds like it turned out well! just looks bad azz! im jealous
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #52
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Those main bodies are a little different. You need to take off the air cleaners and look at the list numbers on the choke horns to make sure they are the same. You don't want to run 2 carbs that meter fuel differently. Also, check all the numbers on the tops of the metering blocks and post those here. Then, pull the rear bowls and look at the number stamped on the center of the metering plate. Should be a "6" or a "9" depending on if you are standing on your head or not! LOL
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #53
CVA59

C10..... Here are the only numbers i can find.

Front Carb
Top of metering block right side: 10884
Top of metering block left side: no numbers
Metering plate number: Looks like a no. "6" or an "06"
Choke Horn: 1850-4 (0527)

Rear Carb
Top of metering block right side: 1947
Top of metering block left side: L18502
Metering plate number: Can't get it to break loose, scared i will break it.
Choke Horn: 1850-2 (3508)

The rear carb looks real nasty inside. I am sure it can be cleaned up but it appears that it has been sitting a long time. The front carb looks real clean with fresh gaskets. It looks like it was a running carb recently. Thanks again for helping me with this.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #54
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

hmmmm.....those carbs are about 8 year apart in age. The -2 should have a 25 shooter and the -4 a 31. If you get a chance, post a pic of the top of the metering blocks so I can get a good look at the well plugs. Some of the older Holleys actually used a emulsion TUBE as apposed to just the main well. If that is the case and also the one that is really gunked up, it can be super hard to get the emulsion tube clean which will make it run really rich and not very good. Is the junk in the one really dirty or is there white crap in there that looks like dried concrete? Mainly need to make sure those metering blocks have the same size idle feeds.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #55
CVA59

Here ya go. I am wondering what is the most economical route to get me going is. Should I look at getting these rebuilt? If you could rebuild these i can get them shipped to you and back. That will not cost me anything.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-13-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #56
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Oh boy......notice those jets are plugged solid? Chances are those main wells are super plugged and stuff is almost impossible to clean. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft. pole. Pull the jets and look up into the main well to see if the problem continues.

Looks like your seller had a carb and then got a carb to make the package look right. That carb is junk in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #57
CVA59

I guess i should just wait and buy yours then. I don't want to throw good money into junky carbs

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-13-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #58
blackmopar

bummer those things are rough! looks like that one was used as sunken treasure in a fricken fish bowl!

C-10 from what im understanding even if those were good thats too much carb for a small block - right? doesnt CVA want 390's?

it would be nice to have good 600s though to sell or trade for the right application. Sh*t man - I certainly didnt wanna steer you down the wrong path - i was just randomly searching your area on C-list at the start of this cuz I have tunnel envy!

im searching my area for 390s for ya (or whatever c-10 will recommend for your app if im wrong here) Ill also have an edelbrock available shortly once i build my holley and i wouldnt be opposed at throwin that to you to use as trade/barter material too just to keep this goin!

Last edited by blackmopar; 01-13-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 AM   #59
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Well this thread kind of started to jump around and then got out of hand. When I joined, it was about tunnel ram clearance on our trucks and then I started to talk a little about my setup. Next thing I know he has this tunnel ram and I actually have no idea what kind of a motor he is running, or trans or gears.

CVA.....please understand, and I think you do, that this has nothing to do with selling you my carbs. My setup will last 1-2 days on my ebay site and then they will be gone. You own the tunnel ram now so it really doesn't matter what has led to this. We just need to make it work now. That other 600 has a power valve plug in the metering block which is a complete NO NO on the primary side. Who knows what is up with these guys.

Bottom line is that 390's just might be the ideal carbs for your setup because smaller is not a bad thing when it comes to tunnel rams. The smaller carbs will give you more throttle response which is what you fight on a ram. What sucks is that all the jeep and other small 4WDs guys are fighting for those which makes decent ones going upwards of $150 plus shipping on ebay EACH. Listen.....you got my number. Let's talk tomorrow afternoon and do a little brain storming as to what we can do to make this work for you. Sound good?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #60
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

BTW......If you look at my avatar.......that is actually me and not Will Ferrell. I am starting the brain storming proccess as we speak!! lol
Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #61
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Well this thread kind of started to jump around and then got out of hand. When I joined, it was about tunnel ram clearance on our trucks and then I started to talk a little about my setup. Next thing I know he has this tunnel ram and I actually have no idea what kind of a motor he is running, or trans or gears.

CVA.....please understand, and I think you do, that this has nothing to do with selling you my carbs. My setup will last 1-2 days on my ebay site and then they will be gone. You own the tunnel ram now so it really doesn't matter what has led to this. We just need to make it work now. That other 600 has a power valve plug in the metering block which is a complete NO NO on the primary side. Who knows what is up with these guys.

Bottom line is that 390's just might be the ideal carbs for your setup because smaller is not a bad thing when it comes to tunnel rams. The smaller carbs will give you more throttle response which is what you fight on a ram. What sucks is that all the jeep and other small 4WDs guys are fighting for those which makes decent ones going upwards of $150 plus shipping on ebay EACH. Listen.....you got my number. Let's talk tomorrow afternoon and do a little brain storming as to what we can do to make this work for you. Sound good?
I understand. Yes, this thread has moved around alot, LOL. I still am happy with my purchase. This ram has never been bolted up. Checking Jegs, the same ram sells for $349.95 plus shipping. When i add the custom machined spacers, splash pan, & linkages i still feel good about buying it. I will give you a call today and as you said maybe we can figure this out.

Thanks

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #62
CVA59

MOPAR.......LOL, NO problem at all. I appreciate you giving me the link. I am still happy with my purchase. I knew before i bought it that the carbs were questionable and may or may not work. It's all good man.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #63
glos55

I have an Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram on my Street Rod and the guy who set it up made progressive linkage, so when cruising the back carb is feeding only. When you nail it the front one kicks in opening all eight barrels. The carbs are two 500 cfm edelbrocks I get good gas mileage if I behave
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #64
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I have run the 390 and 450 on the street they did very well. On a BB 402 I had twin 660 CS and they ran well for racing however huge PIA for normal driving. I took it on a cruise and I smacked the throttle just a bit and had to lift very fast. It pop and blew the stack off and it laned on the hood of another nice Buick GS that was behind me. Guy was cool about the deal. But like Pro street said the 660 is a flat out race carb only. At the track my little 71 nova was a screamer and flat out moved. mid to low 11 sec time slips where the norm..

Off topic a bit but the new tri power set up from demon looks well thought out and from what I have heard run great and give you good MPG.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #65
blackmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
MOPAR.......LOL, NO problem at all. I appreciate you giving me the link. I am still happy with my purchase. I knew before i bought it that the carbs were questionable and may or may not work. It's all good man.
cool chief - I will still keep an eye out for some 390s though for ya - I wanna see this!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #66
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos55 View Post
I have an Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram on my Street Rod and the guy who set it up made progressive linkage, so when cruising the back carb is feeding only. When you nail it the front one kicks in opening all eight barrels. The carbs are two 500 cfm edelbrocks I get good gas mileage if I behave
Can you post a pic of the setup/linkage. I'd like to see how that was done. I prefer the simplicity and cost advantages of Edelbrock carbs, and was wondering why that wouldn't work on a tunnel ram. On most standard manifold 2x4 setups I've seen the primaries on the rear carb do most of the normal driving.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #67
glos55

It's a really simple setup, The linkage has a round hole that is connected to the back carb but the linkage has a slotted hole for the front carb. When you press the accelerator the rear carb opens and the front stays closed until the secondaries on the rear are opened thats when the slot in the linkage make contact and opens the front carb. I can tell when the front opens and then again when the secondaries on the front carb open, Thats when its time to concentrate. I will try to get pictures.
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #68
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos55 View Post
Have you been keeping a good eye on all 8 spark plugs?? You are going to have all eight cylinders fight for the fuel charge. Problem is that the back ones will win because the primary carb is sitting over them. Good way to lean out the front of your motor and hurt parts real bad. Only time I am ever in favor of a progressive setup is on a try power where the center carb is the primary. This wasy you have much better dispursing of fuel but I'm still not a fan. Only thing I really like that is progressive is a vacuum secondary. It may somehow be working for you but the next guy might hurt parts really bad. I'd really pull those front and back plugs and compare them.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #69
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Tunnel Ram

JEGS:

Edelbrock/Holley/Weiand Tunnel Ram Carb & Intake Kits
http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...62674/10002/-1
ALSO:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=10002&Nty=0

Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0177/
ALSO:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...am+carb&RC=100

Shotgun Bill Small Block Chevy Tunnel Ram Kit
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shotgu...-Kit,3791.html

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313588
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #70
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Well now that 1BAD posted pictures of those Jegs and Summit packages....

ProstreetC-10's sideways mounted carb's are totally Bad A$$. And you can actually work on the carbs when mounted sideways!
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 01-13-2011 at 07:13 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #71
CVA59

I love this stuff. These T/R's look AWESOME!!! Nothing sets off an old nostalgic rod better that a T/R (except maybe a hillborn injection).

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #72
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

No benefit to mounting the Eds sideway since they are about square. I don't think the Holley look bad when inline but you can really just get to the FRONT jets only on the FRONT carb. Make no mistake though.....didn't do it for easy jetting. Did it because all cars at the track have then sideway and I flat out love the looks of the linkage when you are revving up the motor. Cool but not as cool with an auto. Has to be a 4 speed. Thanks for the kind approval!!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #73
shortbed70

I wanted a tunnel but went this way instead...
Attached Images

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #74
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
I wanted a tunnel but went this way instead...
Looks awesome. I really like those scoops!

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #75
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Talked to CVA tonight and we are going to get this figured out. We are going to make this work and I am going to send him some parts to get that other carb up and running. He is going to S can the block and bowls. I will supply him with good ones and he will clean up the main body to work. He and I talked for a little bit about how the tunnel ram is not idea at all for his application and the carbs are too big but he is fine with that and realizes that its not a good performance combo. Just saying this for all the silent people that might read this thread.

Nice talking to you CVA and well at least get it so you can go get a gallon of milk or something. Above that you are on your own. ;o)