The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #51
paintslinga2010

Re: 83 swb thats been sitting awhile (pics)

Felt unproductive working on the motor and not getting it to run any better so I decided to change the oil in the rear.

Not sure if these numbers mean anything. Counted the teeth and divided. Came out to 3.07xxx. So 3.08?

Painted the cover, not sure why since everything else is still rust.
paintslinga2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #52
white82
White 82

yep 3.08 open... good time to chase down a 3.73 with posi.. or 3.55s
Old 10-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #53
paintslinga2010

Just a little update for you guys:I didn't give up yet. I haven't worked on the truck at all since coming back to college until this weekend. I went home and my dad said get that truck out of my yard before it becomes permanent. So I went with my grandpa and he bought some new shocks to put on before we put the bed on. I powerwashed all the mold and junk off the bed and we put it on. It was actually easier putting it back on than it was taking off. The truck fired up easily but it still won't idle. I drove it about 3 miles to my grandpas house by throwing it in neutral while going downhill and staying on the gas. It actually drove decent when opened up on the highway. It just won't idle and I'm out of ideas. Hopefully he gets someone to look at it while I'm gone. When I get home I will take more pictures. I'm excited to work on it again but I'm at school so all i can do is look at this forum. haha
Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #54
Axle

How apart did you take the carb?

1.Did you blow out all the passages with carb cleaner? Namely the idle feed passages?
2.Where any of the pitot tubes loose on the air horn? Did you tap them back into place?
3.What did you find in the float bowl when you took it apart? any black particles?
4.Do you have the fuel filter in right way around? Hole toward the exterior of the carb. Black flapper to the inside against the spring?

Don't get discouraged with it, especially since you are absorbed with school. When I was in college, cars took a very far back seat and didn't get much more attention than gas & oil changes during that time unless something actually needed repairing.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #55
Your41Plague12

The bottom section of silver looks to be original or really well done. The roof, however, is not original. I still think it looks great though, original or not. I would re-do the roof as just red and keep the red/silver two tone look. Then drive the wheels off of it!
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #56
paintslinga2010

Just an update, I have no pictures so it is not very exciting but I got it to run and idle. I even drove it down the street and back without it dying so I am pretty excited. Im not sure what did it. Ive rebuilt the carb and it still didn't idle. Last time I was home I ran some seafoam through the brake booster. Still didn't idle. I came home today and messed with the timing and some carb adjustments and now it magically idles. I was just about to pick up an edelbrock but I guess I will give the Q-jet a shot. Tomorrow I will give it a tune up and see what I can do about the awful belt squeal. Pics to come.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #57
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Sweet!
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #58
texastruckjunky

Kool project, and nice that you saved that truck.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #59
paintslinga2010

I've done a full tune up and I thought I was moving along but I went out the next day to start it and it won't idle. I messed with idle settings and timing. Nothing. Next day i go out and it not only idles but it idles at 1500-2000 rpm. This thing is ridiculous. I really want to get a 350 slap an edelbrock on it and call it a day but right now cash flow needs me to get this 305 going for the time being.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #60
paintslinga2010

Well the q-jet is out. I was getting so frustrated with no idle and running rough. I found a Holley street dominator, edelbrock 1406 and carb spacer and breather for 300. The carb had was bolted on ran, then taken off. Seemed like a decent deal to me. The only thing that worries me is the intake is like spread bore or square bore. seems weird to me. A couple days ago I pulled the inner fenders to clean up and make it easier to work on.

Today i pulled the old intake. The lifter valley and rockers all looked pretty clean. Looked good to me for a 90k motor that say ten years. I forgot to snap pics. I put the new stuff on and started buttoning things up. Hopefully tomorrow after work I can get a filter, fuel line, and a gasket for the distributor, and find out if the carburetor was the problem. My only worry is I tore off all kinds of vacuum lines and have no idea where they go now. My two main concerns are the deal that taps into the water jacket next to the water neck. It has four prongs for vacuum lines. The other is the fitting that goes into the intake behind the carb. It has three prongs on it. Two are big and one is little. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #61
paintslinga2010

No replies but in case anyone is following this, I got it running very smoothly with the new intake and carb. Its so nice to have an engine idle without struggling and no idle. I hooked up what vacuum lines i thought were necessary I'm still confused on a couple. here are some pics.
This T goes to the intake, cruise control?, and the ball in the next picture.
Not sure what this ball does but the hose is broken down and collapsed. I'll replace it if it is important.
Here is the fitting on the intake. If someone can point out where these hoses goes that would be great.
My next task is hooking up the throttle and TV cable. I just have to find the right brackets. I'm unsure of how my cruise control works so Im not sure what I need there at this time.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #62
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

looks much better
that threaded rod with a hook thats for the cruise diaphram
aluminum piece faceing your carb,holds the vacume for cruise

gona need a breather for the valve cover
you can leave the fittings alone/empty in the water jackets till you find replacements
of course blocking any loose lines to the carb
my Holley pushed the kickdown and throttle cable over
it was extendend,works ok tho
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #63
paintslinga2010

I scratched my ankle while working on the truck last week and then swam in the river. My ankle was triple the size in three days due to an infection. A couple shots in each butt cheek and a bunch of pills and i'm ready to work on the truck again. Got the truck to idle great and I think the timing is close. I'm waiting on the brackets for the tv cable before I drive it back to my garage to do the brakes.
This is the first time this truck has idled on its own in over 10 years! I'm pretty excited to work on it more and get it on the road. Its such a clean truck. I got really lucky to get to work on a 99% rust free straight truck.
Here is a quick crappy cell phone video I made of the truck. Remember this is the same motor that was completely dry of oil when I got ahold of it. Amazingly its held oil for about 9 months now with only a couple of drops here and there.
Anyway here is the video. I was excited but its pretty boring.
Struggling to get the video in my post. heres the link. http://youtu.be/WeGS4s39xgE
The interior needs work! haha

Last edited by paintslinga2010; 05-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #64
paintslinga2010

Here it is
Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #65
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

nice,i'd bet that feels real good after waiting 10 years
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #66
legendman

Nice score, good to hear you got it running good.
Look forward to updates, just brought a 84 SB to restore myself
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #67
paintslinga2010

Ive been really plugging away at this truck as of late. I really wish I had taken more pictures along the way. All it lacks is exhaust, a windshield, and decent tires. Here is a short video I threw together in literally 2 minutes. Just to give you an idea of how far it has come. The burnout at the end is with open headers. Enjoy!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #68
Chevy350V8
Semper Fi!!!

Sweet!

"IT ONLY TAKES EVERYTHING YOU GOT!!"

Semper Fi
Chevy350V8 is offline   Reply With Quote