The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #51
jdheff1982

Re: Need some help with noise laws

I have never dyno'd my truck. When I bought it, it already had the modified engine and exhaust.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #52
andrewmp6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud slut 350 View Post
and willett thats when ya go put that guys car on bricks will all 4 flat tires. dont cut them just let all the air out and leave them leaning on his front door so he cant open it. One of my neighbors had my k3500 towed cause it was in the road for a week which it was but its in a neighborhood not a subdevision with any rules it was just parked right in front of my house and she had it towed no warnign or anything. I just changed the oil in my bike and my wifes car and well had to get rid of it and she had a pretty nice lawn with some expensive bushes in it... now theyre gone hahahaha
You might want to look up the abandoned car for your city most if it sits on a publicly owned road/street over 48 hours they count it as abandoned and tow it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #53
Chevrolet4x4s

Walmart sells resonated stainless tips for around 12 bucks..... But if it were me I'd just leave it alone.
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #54
lazypineapple

I like this one.

[QUOT] ...............when he starts goin off just say well your wife likes it[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #55
jdheff1982

I found a shop that will work on my catless exhaust. I may have them run pipes out the back of the truck and dump behind the rear wheels.

Would be nice to reduce the drone I hear in the cab some.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #56
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdheff1982 View Post
I found a shop that will work on my catless exhaust. I may have them run pipes out the back of the truck and dump behind the rear wheels.

Would be nice to reduce the drone I hear in the cab some.
If they give you grief, I have a guy in Emporia that will build you what you want.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #57
jdheff1982

Well, here I go again. Stuck in a neighbor feud. My neighbors are now playing their music later at night up until 10pm or so. I can't afford to get different mufflers. So what is the next best thing until I can get new mufflers? As of now, the mufflers are still behind the rear axle somewhere between 6 inches to a foot roughly. Will running pipes to the rear of the truck quiet it down or just change where the the sound exits and still be as noisy as before? I need a quick fix before someone goes ape **** that won't break my bank.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #58
wyattglock

If you can do it, run some smaller pipe out the back of the truck. A bend will help reduce the noise output. Be cool with the neighbors, you definitely don't need a physical fight. Remember that noise laws go both ways. There may be an ordinance in your city that restricts loud music after a certain time.
If all else fails, pull their meter base and run like h*@@!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #59
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Well, here I go again. Stuck in a neighbor feud. My neighbors are now playing their music later at night up until 10pm or so. I can't afford to get different mufflers. So what is the next best thing until I can get new mufflers? As of now, the mufflers are still behind the rear axle somewhere between 6 inches to a foot roughly. Will running pipes to the rear of the truck quiet it down or just change where the the sound exits and still be as noisy as before? I need a quick fix before someone goes ape **** that won't break my bank.
I would put a trash can up agianst thier door full of water, lol but i wouldnt recomend it

but having more pipe run to the rear will help some for my truck with the cam i showed my other nieghbor how the noise from my big tube headers was the culprit and not just mufflers, maybe try adding some cheap glasspacks in addition to your mufflers since they generaly dont decrease flow
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #60
jdheff1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
If you can do it, run some smaller pipe out the back of the truck. A bend will help reduce the noise output. Be cool with the neighbors, you definitely don't need a physical fight. Remember that noise laws go both ways. There may be an ordinance in your city that restricts loud music after a certain time.
If all else fails, pull their meter base and run like h*@@!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
How small of pipes? 2"? 2.5"? I'm getting this done this morning after I fix the tranny vacuum line.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #61
hairlesshobo

I know you aren't looking to spend much money, but one thing that I can personally recommend is a pair of Thrush Turbo Mufflers. They are very small, have a nice tone to them, and best of all.. very inexpensive. The pair that I recently had put on my truck cost me $25 each. This is the second pair that I have run because I also had a pair on my '86 Trans Am before I wrecked it.

If you're concerned about loss of power, don't be. I have an SWB '84 Chevy C10 with a 350 4 bolt main bored 60 over with a crane cam, Weiand high rise Aluminum intake from a 69 corvette and roughly 10.5:1 compression. Also there is a 700R4 with the factory 2.73:1 rear end. I am running 2" dual pipes from the manifold (not headers) back through a pair of these mufflers and then coming straight out under the bumper. When I am running my holley 600 carb on it, it will light up the tires off the line every time. When cruising down the highway, I punch it and within seconds I have my speedo pegged out. This is by no means the worlds most powerful small block (that's for damn sure), but apparently the mufflers I have are not keeping it from performing like it should be.

Also, I will say that at first, it was really quiet at idle (kinda disappointed at first to be honest), but after driving it for a couple weeks like that, I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, when idling or just steady cruising down the road, it's nice and subtle. I can actually hold a conversation in my truck and hear my system the way it's meant to be heard. When I get on it, the motor starts breathing and that's when the exhaust will start singing. In my opinion, it's a great balance of quiet and noisy

Just my $.02.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #62
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

I put one of these Hooker resonators on the end of my yota v6 w/a cheap welded flowmaster copy.....took out a noticable amount of the raspy tone especially on deceleration

RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #63
jdheff1982

I got the tail pipes installed. I had them use 2.25" pipe with a 90* bend. they dump behind rear wheel now. I like the change. the rumble in the cab is gone. plus the exhaust is quieter. hopefully it will be enough to keep the peace.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #64
wyattglock

Quote:
How small of pipes? 2"? 2.5"? I'm getting this done this morning after I fix the tranny vacuum line.

Thanks.
2.5" should take care of it. That shouldn't look bad coming out the back of the truck either.
There are a couple of really good suggestions about some cheaper mufflers on here also. I have thought about running a second set of mufflers on my truck also, but I figure for now I will just keep it as is. Fortunately for me,the only neighbor that is complaining is also the one with a car on jack stands that has already been ticketed once.
You could also get a couple sets of earplugs for when your neighbor comes around complaining. Put them in and hand him a pair with written instructions on where to put them.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #65
jdheff1982

I tell ya, I like the new tone! For some reason or another, the 2.25 inch tail pipes have deepened the tone. If I cruise at 1500 rpms, it sounds deep and grumbly. I might have to set idle near 1500 just so I can hear the new tone.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #66
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
I put one of these Hooker resonators on the end of my yota v6 w/a cheap welded flowmaster copy.....took out a noticable amount of the raspy tone especially on deceleration

Where can I buy the resonator?
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #67
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Where can I buy the resonator?
http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/exha...tips/b/hooker/
Old 10-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #68
Kerlijah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
Your neighbor is an ass. Nothing you will do will help.
Couldnt agree more. I've got the same kinda situation. I just put new headers, 3" true duals with Flowmaster 40s, no cats. It's definitely loud when I get on it, but at idle it aint nearly as loud as she makes it out to be...some people just have nothing better to do than piss and moan about stupid insignificant crap like that, just to be a nuisance!!
1979 C10 SWB, shaved bed rails, drip rails, tailgate handle. 350 w/ Comp cam, hydraulic lifters, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, Flowtech headers, Flowmaster 40s, turbo 350 w/stage 2 shift kit...so much fun!

Kerlijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #69
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

With the act that I have run the Flowmasters on my truck, with no cats and true duals, I have to believe that there is a small factor here that may in play. You do not poop next to the nest, it tends to stink up the neighborhood and you soon don't like the result. I have a truck that can be loud, but AI don't do it at home. So with that stated, do you by chance rev your engine at home and make serious noises just to get the attention. If so, then don't do it and things may or should heal over some.

If you truly want to go quieter, then spend a short time at your local muffler guy and see what he has on his shelf. As for the neighbor, somehow you have insulted his ego and he is going to do what it takes to get his mojo back. Short of a knock down in the street, you may never get him back to a norm.

"Tact and political correctness are things that are used when one does not have the testicular fortitude to say what he really means."
Old 10-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #70
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
With the act that I have run the Flowmasters on my truck, with no cats and true duals, I have to believe that there is a small factor here that may in play. You do not poop next to the nest, it tends to stink up the neighborhood and you soon don't like the result. I have a truck that can be loud, but AI don't do it at home. So with that stated, do you by chance rev your engine at home and make serious noises just to get the attention. If so, then don't do it and things may or should heal over some.

If you truly want to go quieter, then spend a short time at your local muffler guy and see what he has on his shelf. As for the neighbor, somehow you have insulted his ego and he is going to do what it takes to get his mojo back. Short of a knock down in the street, you may never get him back to a norm.

"Tact and political correctness are things that are used when one does not have the testicular fortitude to say what he really means."

Yes, and the more i read, it appears that your father approached this neighbor first about the "noise." So in retaliation he is attacking the noise from the truck-----if your dad had not approached most likely the neighbor would have not said anything about the truck............

This is indeed a touchy situation. What type of music does he play (in an attempt to learn more about him/her)?

2) UPDATE: "My" guy STILL honks his dam horn everytime he passes!!! i know the guy is pizzed at me. i wish i had never said anything and instead called authorities.

3) What i actually did one time----for a temporary and cheap solution:

i had a test stand in the backyard once and it was pretty loud. i took 3/4" thick plywood maybe cut into 5"x5" plates or so and then attached them to the outlet of those useless(in my opinion) large chambered mufflers with very small angle iron. The pre-drilled kind you would use to build a small shelf. i also put old carpet on the side facing the muffler.

Well, it did work and i don't think there is any fire hazard if only used temporarily---i.e., driving in and out of the neighborhood. There is enough of a crack to let the gases out.

i'm not saying you should do this as well, but you did say you were down on money.

4) After watching a south park episode last night dealing with this exact issue, i think i may start a seperate thread entitled "The psychology of noise" or something like that.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #71
jdheff1982

The guy's music isn't loud to my ears. Him, a drummer, and a bass player play in his garage with the door closed. Some how or another, the plumbing between our houses is connected and the noise travels thru it into my house. I'm a guitarist myself, so their playing doesn't bother me.

No, I don't sit out in my truck a recklessly rev it, maybe occasionally. In the mornings, I have to rev it some to keep the engine going while it is warming up, but that is an issue I am trying to resolve (see My truck versus the cooler air thread).

I try to be as polite with my truck as I can. There are times when things can't be avoided.

He hasn't complained about the truck since that night. However, he plays his music at odd times out of spite.

I think my folks are just acting senile (sp?). 8)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #72
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

If I was as nice as you my bail-bonds man wouldn't have so much of my money
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #73
jdheff1982

Dude, I have to ask, where can I find a flat bed like yours? After seeing pics of your truck (Rushnbobo), I think my fleet side would look good with something like that. Having something like that would certainly cheapin up painting my truck.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #74
Axle

Quote:
My neighbors are now playing their music later at night up until 10pm or so.
Sounds like he is staying legal by the letter of the bylaw. Locally, the bylaw says "noise" (usually construction) can begin at 7am and go until 10pm if working in a residential neighbourhood.

Quote:
I don't sit out in my truck a recklessly rev it, maybe occasionally. In the mornings, I have to rev it some to keep the engine going while it is warming up, but that is an issue I am trying to resolve (see My truck versus the cooler air thread).
Thats just a fact of life for a carb'd vehicle. Mine sits a minimum of two minutes before I even attempt to kick it down to normal idle. (2 minutes = design time for the electric choke on a qjet to stay on--give or take). So other than making it managable for you, don't try to fix something that may not be broke.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #75
mdb

This isn't directed at the OP (who's making an effort to quiet things down) but to you other guys with the "My truck's legal so go f--- yourself!" attitude. Being 'that guy' is nothing to be proud of.

Sure, if it's your weekend cruiser, go wild. But when you're out getting her warmed up everyday at 6am in a residential area... it gets old.

And of course you might be dealing with unreasonable neighbors and whatnot, but a little common sense and respect goes a long way.
mdb is offline   Reply With Quote