The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #51
BurnoutNova

Re: Why we buy Craftsman tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut67shorty View Post
Their breaker bars are junk...
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a 1/2" and a 3/4" craftsman breaker bar in one of my tool boxes. Never had any problems with them and I frequently put the jack handle on them for more leverage. These are breaker bars that are at least 15 years old, so that may be better than you can get now, but I still think craftsman breaker bars are just as good as anything else in that price range.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #52
special-K
Special Order

Two summers ago I swapped axles from my 3/4t Suburban 4wd to my Jimmy. My 25 year old Craftsman floor jack had been funky for years after lending it out and the guy had a car fall off of it. Let's say it was tweaked but usable. I really needed two anyway,one to lift the vehicle and another for under the axles. I git a bigger and a smaller one. The smaller one had to go right back after the first time using it. I pumped it up to the axle and that was all she'd do. Wouldn't lift a thing. Took it back and got another. Got the jib done and only used either one a handful of times since. Well,just after a year had past,the big one messed up. The pin that goes in the handle u-joint broke,rendering the jack useless. All I have is the small one so I grabbed that. It worked fine till I realized once I stopped pumping it started dropping slowly. So,both jacks worked a handful of times before crapping out. And,don't forget the third one I returned the day after I bought.
I also bought a cordless multi-tool for the carpentry work I do. First,the allen bolt that holds the blade on stripped out the first time I changed the blade. I used Channel locks to get around that. Then,the battery started working it's way loose causing the tool to cut off,you had to push it in while you used it,and if you let up it cut off and you had to turn the switch off and on again. Then!...One of those times I did the routine and it didn't work at all. This is a very occasional use tool that I hadn't used a dozen times. It was also just out of warranty. So I'm not too keen on Craftsman tools these days. I hope the wrenches and all don't follow this route.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #53
dieseldawg142

old craftsman is where it's at. i have probably a thousand craftsman sockets, wrenches, ratchets, specialty tools etc. from mid to late 80's, early 90's. love 'em, well made (USA). was in sears the other day with my 8 yr old son to get some tools for him, could'nt belive how much china i was seeing, & the quality does not seem to match my old stuff, depressing. great return policy though. 2 sockets-no problems, 1/2" drive ratchet, gave me a new ratcheting mechanism, funny thing was, there was a price of $26 on the mechanism, why would you pay for it, when you get it for free with a lifetime warranty
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #54
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Not to rain on your parade but...... The last ratchets I tried to trade in didn't go very well. The lady said they didn't swap ratchets any longer, They have to ship them off and have new ratchet mechanisms installed which takes 2-3 weeks.

I told her I didn't want new head kits installed in old handles with worn splines, I need these for work. I CANT work with no ratchets !!!

She said sorry that's all I can do, I snatched them up off the counter and told her I just lost 2 hrs work and made a 90 mile trip for nothing, I'll NEVER step foot in another sears.

They were trashed and replaced with Snap-on......
ALL parts are replaced. There are no "worn splines." The ratchet is just a hole that stuff is put in. I just get the rebuild kit and do it my self. My 3/8" ratchet has held up, but I striped my 1/2" and thus the rebiuld. I have broken a couple 12 pt sockets, but never a 6 pt.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #55
Orange Crate

I bought a 3/4 drive ratchet at a flea market with a bad drive for $40 and returned it to Sears for a new one no questions asked. Here is a pretty good history of Sears tools, too bad about sourcing most from China now.

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artif...-tools-p3.html
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #56
dpruim

I worked as a plant mechanic in Detroit for years and always had a problem with tools "walking" away. I would go to pawn shops and buy tool boxes that had a lot of Craftsman tools because at that time you could return anything that didn't look like new and get it replaced no questions asked. I was able to keep a pretty decently supplied tool box that way. Now I go into a Sears store and see mostly other brand tools. Makes me feel old.....
dpruim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #57
FetchMeAPepsi

I couldn't agree more with the Craftsman stuff being good. I know, some of their stuff isn't so great anymore (some say) but I've never had anything but good luck with them. See my build for how I tore up a set of Stanley vice grips in short order. The Craftsman just kept on jawing, snagging, and turning. Not a mark on 'em.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #58
bighaas79

Interesting info I recently found out. Craftsman, Kobalt, and Matco ratchets are all made by the same company. The replacement ratchet mechanisms are the same kit for all 3 ratchets. Not sure if it was real but I also saw a pic of a Matco swivel head ratchet with a Craftsman handle the had supposedly just been taken out of the package new. It had been part of a Matco ratchet and socket kit.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote