The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
redsled87

Re: Anyone else regret getting rid of their first squarebody?

I don't miss mine as, I still have after 15 years. Its not going anywhere either. I do however every once in a while think about the second square that I had. But, I like my '03 Sierra better.
1/4 10.93
MPH 120
redsled87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #52
hitcher

another one to add where i didnt have a choice . my first truck was this 82 silverado . skidded on some spilt diesel from a semi and didnt stand a chance . completly totaled as you can see and 20 stiches in my face . im still trucking on with my 3rd square and hope to alwas have one .
Attached Images

hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #53
76Charlie

Lucky you are alive
Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #54
hitcher

yea i hit a bridge at 60mph and spun the truck round . walked away a bit dazed but lived
hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #55
76Charlie

The square body god needs you to keep square bodies in good shape.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #56
buckshot305

I haven't sold my first square yet... But I'm thinking hard about selling it to buy a house. It is a 83 K10 SWB 350/465/205/4.10 truck. It was my first truck when I was 16, and I spent every dime I made in high school to keep it running! I used to change u-joints in the school parking lot, got called every time a buddy got stuck, you name it. My brother was killed by a dump truck in 2005, and I did a full restoration on my truck in his honor in 2006. The money that was supposed to put him through college paid for the restoration; so the truck has a tremendous amount of sentimental value. I drove the truck for a year after the resto, but it has since been parked in a warehouse. I drive it 3-4 times a year now. It's always a hassle to get it out, and there's always something wrong with it. I don't enjoy driving it anymore. I love the truck, but it kills me to see it sitting, and I have lost interest in it. What should I do????

I did buy and sell another square all in one year! That was a mistake that I haven't really regretted yet; but I know someday I will. I had a 87 R10 SWB 350TBI/700R4/3.42 Silverado that was absolutely loaded and perfect. It was literally all original and rust free! I was going to do a LSX swap but got married instead.

I'm wanting to do a CC Cummins build, but can't seem to make the numbers work right now.

I know if I sell my truck; I'll regret it someday. Maybe not anytime soon, but one day I'll really regret it.

Before

After

Robbin parts off a upside down truck I found while trail riding in my dad's 77 K10 "8-Ball"

Mud pics from highschool

87 R10 - cleanest squarebody I've ever seen
buckshot305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #57
buckshot305

Wow those pics are big... sorry.

There are a lot of totalled truck pics in this thread, I've always worried about wrecking mine, but also about living to tell about it. I've wrecked a couple late model trucks and walked away unscathed. I'd hate to think what could happen in a older truck with no air bags.

To those who wrecked their squarebodies: how safe would you rate these trucks in major accidents? Just curious.
buckshot305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #58
96twodoor

I sometimes stay up late at night(tears opintional) missing my old 84. I think about it daily what makes it worse is my new square is such a piece compared to the first one

96twodoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #59
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Yep I miss mine as well...
Attached Images

CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #60
TDS-MN

My frirst square was a '75 Suburban 3/4 ton w/ 350 and full -time 4wd, and I actually don't miss it that much. Not saying I didin't enjoy it while it was around, but it was rusting away so quickly, my inner rear fenders were held on by bungee cords, the driver and passenger floor were fairly gone, the rear tailgate supports had rusted away, rendering it useless. PS front fender was falling off. One of the rear doors never did open in the time I had the truck. It had character, but was too far gone to even consider trying to save it.

The positives, it was big, and loud, and I couldn'tget it stuck no matter what I drove it thru. And it was reasonably reliable when I needed it to be. I ended up selling it off to a guy that wanted to salvage the drivetrain for his mudder truck.

Acquired the '85 I have now, and it was in so much better shape. Granted that I've still put a lot of time and parts into it, but my ties to this one are much stronger, so we'll see if/when the time comes to consider getting rid of it, how I'll feel. . . .
'85 K-10 w/ 305, 700r4, np208, and RUST!
SOLD Dec 2014
TDS-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #61
Dieselholic92

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot305 View Post
I haven't sold my first square yet... But I'm thinking hard about selling it to buy a house. It is a 83 K10 SWB 350/465/205/4.10 truck. It was my first truck when I was 16, and I spent every dime I made in high school to keep it running! I used to change u-joints in the school parking lot, got called every time a buddy got stuck, you name it. My brother was killed by a dump truck in 2005, and I did a full restoration on my truck in his honor in 2006. The money that was supposed to put him through college paid for the restoration; so the truck has a tremendous amount of sentimental value. I drove the truck for a year after the resto, but it has since been parked in a warehouse. I drive it 3-4 times a year now. It's always a hassle to get it out, and there's always something wrong with it. I don't enjoy driving it anymore. I love the truck, but it kills me to see it sitting, and I have lost interest in it. What should I do????

I did buy and sell another square all in one year! That was a mistake that I haven't really regretted yet; but I know someday I will. I had a 87 R10 SWB 350TBI/700R4/3.42 Silverado that was absolutely loaded and perfect. It was literally all original and rust free! I was going to do a LSX swap but got married instead.

I'm wanting to do a CC Cummins build, but can't seem to make the numbers work right now.

I know if I sell my truck; I'll regret it someday. Maybe not anytime soon, but one day I'll really regret it.

Before

After

Robbin parts off a upside down truck I found while trail riding in my dad's 77 K10 "8-Ball"

Mud pics from highschool

87 R10 - cleanest squarebody I've ever seen
You should get it out of storage and drive it! The more you let it sit, the more things you are going to find wrong with it. The time old trucks start having problems is when they go from a daily driver to sitting in storage.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #62
Dieselholic92

Well I am 20 and this is my first square body. I've been trying to get one for the past 3 or 4 years and I finally got one. I won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #63
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

My first square ( and my only) I truely miss, I bought it new( ordered it) from where I worked in 1985. It was a 1985 GMC Sierra Classic, it had everything you could get on a 2WD truck except it had a V6. I sold it when my wife and I found out we were pregnant.

She was 29 midnight blue, heavy half, 4speed auto, 3.42.

I would buy one right now if I could find one like it. I thought I found one yesterday but it was sold. sad for me.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #64
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I do not have any squarebody I am sorry I sold but do have a lot of 55-57 Chevys I am sorry for selling and wish I still had. All two doors and one was a nomad two door. All of them trucks that were wrecked could have been repaired very easy with just a little bondo. Glad to see where you made it out all right. I have seen trucks that were not near as bad as those trucks were and they were killed. I take it you all had your seat belts on?

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #65
Psycho71

Never regretted getting rid of my first square body truck. It was just way too far gone. And after I blew up the 454 in it, it was worthless.

My second square body on the other hand? Yes, I never got over getting rid of that '84 burb. I loved it and got rid of it for a better mileage truck. Will never do that again. Currently have another '85 burb, and this one ain't goin' nowhere!

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #66
BB72CHEVKT

Real simple "yep". My wife of 20 years took this pic over 20 years ago.
Attached Images