The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #51
AirSpeed

Re: Smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
Sorry I just found the reports.....

With the HC jumping around that much it has got an issue somewhere. Check the valve adjustment (still the only thing you messed with since it passed the sniffer). Set the timing 2° retarded from the factory settings, it will be within tolerance for Cali and it will help but not fix the bigger problem. Throw an O2 sensor at it if you have not already, they get funky with a lot of miles on them and if you didn't change it out who knows how old it is. Alcohol is oxygen bearing (the reason they like it for emission in gas) and will help, and do not put acetone in fuel EVER it will cause detonation and kill the engien like now! Acetone works as a starting fluid but it is still a bad idea.
Thanks, I'm going to readjust the valves tomorrow, the day I originally did it was 105 degrees in the shade and I was hot and tired from working with a cheap piece of crap spring compressor while changing the valve seals, I may have rushed through the process in order to get to an icy beer faster! I will take my time next time. I will stay away from the acetone. Someone mentioned using some Restore engine treatment, I may even throw in a can, after all Restore is an overhaul in a can! (sarcasm) thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to spend the day on it checking everything I can. I am so glad I don't have to ever smog my trucks! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #52
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Thanks, I'm going to readjust the valves tomorrow, the day I originally did it was 105 degrees in the shade and I was hot and tired from working with a cheap piece of crap spring compressor while changing the valve seals, I may have rushed through the process in order to get to an icy beer faster! I will take my time next time. I will stay away from the acetone. Someone mentioned using some Restore engine treatment, I may even throw in a can, after all Restore is an overhaul in a can! (sarcasm) thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to spend the day on it checking everything I can. I am so glad I don't have to ever smog my trucks! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

And that is the reason the newest vehicle I own is a 1974....no smog for me but Cali will screw us over again by putting it back to 1966. That is just one of the reasons I am getting my butt out of this money grubbin state.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #53
wilbilt

I got rid of my '88 C1500 due to failed smog (also idle HC). I just non-opped another vehicle instead of taking it in for the biennial smog check because it has 265,000 miles on it and does throw a puff of smoke occasionally. I am tired of playing the smog game in this state.

Don't be too hard on the smog tech, though. BAR/CARB likes to bait them with marginal vehicles to trip them up. If he failed to note the puff of smoke and it was a setup vehicle, he could lose his license.

Check out the disciplinary actions beginning on page 5 of this newsletter.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...012_R4_web.pdf