The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #51
Mr.Hyde

Re: Mr. Hyde's Ride

Only doing a 3" drop don't wanna go too low
Posted via Mobile Device

Member of tailgate association of manitoba
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #52
Mr.Hyde

ok so as it stand this project seems to be a collection of building up to being ready to be built, I just picked up a lincoln 140c for the body work and I maybe picking up some the body panels this weekend so when summer comes its ready to go even without the motor work. atleast this way I can do some body and patch work. I need some information from you guys tho hopefully you can help me, all i have is a 2005 jimmy for transport at the moment.

-What are the rough dimensions of the cab, I need to know I may have to rent a uhaul for transportation.
-Does the bed come apart into seperate smaller parts or is it welded/riveted together?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
Mr.Hyde

Hey so it's winter here in winnipeg and was wondering if its a bad idea to do some of the body patch panels in the cold? It's about -10c/50f this would help me get a head start for spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #54
gdavis

I did some patch panels when it was cold here in Florida about 40 and it helped to cool the welds. But i am not the person to ask. Keen lives in the cold weather ask him. So I sorry could not help.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #55
Mr.Hyde

Well I talked to a couple body work guys and they said the warping and stuff is controlled by the way you weld it so I'll be starting the patches tomorrow on the inner fenders and outer front fenders then the tail gate just small stuff I have kicking around its less I have to do in the spring. Also hopefully I'll be getting the motor to the machine shop this week.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #56
Mr.Hyde

Well the little 283 is in the shop and ready to get hot tanked. We talked and it turns out i may have a good combination of parts, 305 heads, 327 cam and the 283 block. He will let me know exactly what i have going for me and what I will have to do. The thing is that I kind of want to assemble the motor myself for the learning aspect of it but at the same time I want it done right so I'm at a crossroad here, do i build the motor myself after the machining process and possibly same some money or do I let him do it all?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #57
gdavis

If you have someone that has done the motor rebuilt before then it would be ok. But there are things that rebuilding book can't and don't explain to good. I myself would have the machine shop do it. But that is my oppppppion
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #58
Mr.Hyde

I do have multiple people who have rebuilt that I can call essentially any time for advice. I'd hate to not get the experience or knowledge when it's there waiting for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #59
gdavis

There is nothing like rebuilding your own engine. By all means then rebuild it. And get the experence of doing it yourself.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #60
Xeen

It will tell you right on the label of the body working product what the working temperature range for it is.
As far as welding goes there are no ambiant temperature limits that I am aware of.
Its nice to see another 68 being put back on the road.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #61
Mr.Hyde

Self rebuilt motor it is! And I will be waiting till spring to do the bondo and paint. Appreciate the advice much appreciated. And you don't see too many in winnipeg it's nice to be a bit different
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #62
Mr.Hyde

So this friday I will be picking up the sheet metal to do some of the body work, closest i could find was 18g. I hear its better to go thicker then thinner is this correct? And the motor is still in the shop just waiting on the crank to see if it can be ground down or not and I will save that portion of the project for the rainy days and days I cant work outside. Cant wait till Spring!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #63
Rusbuilt

I wish I had that bed!! lol I'm on the hunt for an original dark blue bed for my project! Keep up the good work!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #64
Mr.Hyde

Haha thank you although not enough work being done! It's -33c -45c with the windchill right now it's hard to work when you can't feel anything. I'm going to pick up my sheet metal today hopefully maybe to some work on the panels. I appreciate the awesome advice and comments when spring hits bet your dollar ill be I the garage every time I have a spare dollar, unfortunately that means parking my motorcycle. Here in winnipeg from April-September we pay rough 400/m for insurance so I making some sacrifices to work on this truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #65
Mr.Hyde

So I just found out the block for the truck was cracked... I will be searching on the local sites to see if I can pick up a new drive train, I already have a 4 speed trans lined up for 400 and I will be looking for a 350 hopefully a runner I can plop in and go with from the wrecker. I guess I'm sticking to work on everything else until I can find a drive train.

Last edited by Mr.Hyde; 02-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #66
Mr.Hyde

two of my best friends for these cold nights alone in the garage

our snow here in winnipeg its been pretty nice so took the oppurtunity to work out in the non insulated or heated garage

heres some of the work i did

Old 02-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #67
Mr.Hyde

Doing more patch work today, it's not as nice it's -20c with the windchill I'm saving all the gring for after the sand blaster if anyone is wondering. I found a whole in the driver side fender looks too squared off to be rust wondering if anyone would recognize it. I'm thinking just a small gm badge. I'm hoping to get both these fenders done by the end of the weekend then move onto the tailgate at another time. On top of that some good news I recieved a promotion at work from welder to a lead hand hopefully this will lead upto more finances for the new addiction. I will post pics when I get back to my laptop at home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #68
Mr.Hyde

So I was going through my thread looking at the progress and over time it seems I've been spending more on the tools then the truck hopefully with my arsenal of equipment now that won't be an issue, it's more space at this point. Another thing I've noticed is I never really gave you guys a background on myself, experiences through life and mostly a "why". Since this build thread seems to be more so a blog for myself I think I should explain and this may brin up some emotions personally which will re-inspire myself and give you guys an idea "why".

When I was young I spent a lot of time in the garage with my grandfather he would give me silly things like hammering nails into a board and painting with water strangely enough I feel this is the reason why I'm so comfortable it my crappy garage it looks exactly the same as the one we would work in together. He passed away in 2001 a huge loss in my life. In 2004 me and my grandmother went to Ireland to bury his ashes in his home town of bray. I learned a new lifestyle a roof a meal and a good woman and good friends are all that is needed in life.

Fast forward to 2002. At the age of 12 my dad got sick we spent the whole night I the hospital. After going home with my family when he was admitted we found out he had kidney failure, causes unknown. As a child I didn't fully understand this but I knew I was scared. This restricted a lot of the things he could do, he gave on life but not on living he's still around to this day but a ghost of his former self. This left me doing all the renovations and work around the house from age 13-20. I learned a lot, I soaked in the information that he gave me that was passed from my grandfather to him in the ways of carpentry. At the age of 16 I wanted my first car I didn't care if it was a rust bucket I wanted a vintage a classic a muscle car something that set me apart from all the Honda civics. I was pushed into a safe choice of a 1991 Chevy Corsica what a heap I should have got the 78 camaro with an inline 6 or the amc javelin. But needless to say I bought what I could afford because my family didnt have a lot of money. It was earn what you want or you will never fully respect it.
In 2008 I bought a 2005 gmc jimmy I liked the idea of a 4x4 in winnipeg(we have tough winters)
In 2009 I took a welding course learning a trade was just what I knew. I've been doing it for 6 years good money and always have a job I'm in. Even the schooling I had to arrange to be in payments while working as a bouncer doing a warehouse job and doing renovations at my parents. This is also the year my dad was declared terminal. A social was held for him in Weston tradition and it gave him a chance to see all his old friends as a final goodbye.
Growing up in a family Based on making the safe choice and never following your ambitions I went against the grain. I went for a trade instead of university it's what I love working with my hands getting dirty and earning your dollar in sweat blood and smoke. I grew up being told don't smoke don't drink don't buy projects don't take chances, my world was full don't.
Today I'm still a welder/lead hand, I have the truck and 2 motorcycles. I love shooting guns, drinking scotch and smoking cigars I guess you could say I'm a bit of a black sheep. But back to the answer of "why", well it's basically a representation of all the things we didn't do father and son, all the don'ts, tradgedy and pain. It's the quiet, hearing the bacon like sizzle of the welder. That time I miss in the garage with my grandfather. Another lesson I have to teach myself in life. And hopefully it won't be the last.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #69
Mr.Hyde

thank you and i feel everyone must have a reason, pictures as promised

Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #70
Mr.Hyde

More pictures coming soon. Just finishing up the tailgate for some reason none of the water inside the tailgate never went near a drain hole so I may have to add one in the center just for good measure. I stil have tons of holes to fill from the trim I'm just going to assume when I go to weld them the rust thinned out the metal and it will burn away. It's a bit tricky welding since I'm only running a 15a breaker but I was told only do tacks so shouldn't be an iussue. Never thought I'd be doing body work like this yet a project this size.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #71
Mr.Hyde

pictures as promised...

Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #72
elf w/capital T

Lookin good Hyde hope that weather warms up for ya!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #73
68 Four on the Floor

Man i hope your using that trim. love that stuff
68 Four on the Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #74
Mr.Hyde

Thanks and its about -7c so it's not too bad right now I just layer and crank the propane heater. I'm learning body work is extremely tedious and needs tons of patience which they don't sell with sheet metal. Haha.

And no I'm going trimless. I'm kind of going clean I want to try and do this build with 0 outside inspiration design wise I'm hoping I can make people question the classification of the truck. Ill be be removing all the trim and emblems and either painting my own or milling something out. I know I want Chevrolet handwritten on the rear end flat black with a white top and maybe something different with the grille a combination of black and white. Chances are anything I don't use will get sold to someone who will need it I usually pretty good about that.

I appreciate all the responses and I may start doing a video blog so keep posted when spring rolls around I will be working on the cab and bed hopefully in more detail then when that's all metal worked ill tackle the chassis while the body is at the blaster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #75
Mr.Hyde

I have some more trim holes to fill up and I'm clearing the yard out this weekend to I can pull the frame out and put the cab and bed in for body work. Snow clearing and welding. Also I'm trying to decide if a I should buy a tarp or one of those temp canopy garages.
Posted via Mobile Device