The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #51
GM72K10
Next!

Re: new one for the herd.. a CUCV story

This is the cdr valve
Attached Images

86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #52
86c20

is that only on cucv's? i have one on my 6.2 but thought it was egr and didnt think more about it
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #53
GM72K10
Next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c20 View Post
is that only on cucv's? i have one on my 6.2 but thought it was egr and didnt think more about it
All 6.2s should have it, the one for a CUCV is on the side, my K30 dump has it mounted on the front.
86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #54
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ok so truck sat since the weekend when i fired it up last i went out today and she fired but in addition to the usual tap she started farting out drops of black liquid out the right exhaust pipe at most a foot. still had that popping out the carb... this happened about five minutes after being started and once revved the motor spewed out this large cloud of black smoke and it made a loud knocking noise, almost like when a gas motor throws a rod it went away on is own in a couple of seconds. Someone who knows diesels says its a bad injector but im kinda thinking it may be worse.. I am a quart low on oil.. I went today and bought a new filter and oil ( is it really true this thing only takes 7 qts with a filter?) and I was asking about the stuff to put in the oil and the auto parts store said to use seafoam... Im still looking for the stuff you guys recommended..
I ordered two injectors at like $50 each and figured id try to isolate which cylinder it is with a mechanics stethascope and try swapping those out..I sure hope that the injectors are the same as in the civilian units as according to the computer in my local AutoZone there is no difference
So please any other advice i can get here?

STILL have not recieved the SF97 too lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 11-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #55
GM-M1008

SF97s take 30+ days to receive. You should adjust you batter tray tops to fit your batterys.
86 K30 M1008 CUCV (wrecked)
87 V10 Reg. cab/ Long bed
GM-M1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #56
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Today we decided to throw some seafoam into the crankcase and let her idle a while. All told she ran for about an hour only at idle as I cannot take her on the road without a proper registration. Well shes been kinda like backing up through the intake and spitting out a black liquid through the exhaust smoking like the devil etc but after about 15 minutes of seafoam it started to stop knocking and it lightened up the smoke and started running well.
We dropped the oil after it ran an hour and changed the filter to an AC Delco one and put in Rotellat 15W40 oil I found a good used CDR valve and threw that in along with a new air filter and one of the generator belts that was flopping
I had to run out a bit but we shall see how it goes

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #57
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Spencer's Fun Fact of the Day:

If you ever hear anyone talking about the 'Tuna Can' they are referring to the CDR.

These motors are designed to run with positive crankcase pressure. This is what the CDR regulates.

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #58
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

OK so I finally got the SF97 which in this case turned out to be a State of Arizona title and a bill of sale so I high tailed it to DMV and registered my truck. Last night I got to take it out for the first time and she drove like a beast. This morning I went and had the wheel alignment as the toe out was off by like 2 degrees per side
We also changed the oil on her and she runs a lot better although in the AM shes still got that valve thing going.. Im guessing theres a lot of crud in the motor... ( a military guy tells me that a PM on these trucks is drop a filter and add a quart of oil so some of that oil is over 25 years old im guessing .. that being said, we took a bottle of seafoam and stuck it in the oil and ran it for about an hour at idle prior to doing the oil change.. Im guessing ill drive about 500 miles throw another bottle in there and do it again
I was thinking do you all think it would be a worthwhile thing to just drop the oil pan and throw a new oil pump in the motor just for kicks? im wondering if the screen ( and spring) would be all messed up after all those years..
While driving today I also had the exhaust on the driver side start to fall apart. I knew it was rotted but was hoping it would last a while.. Ive dropped it off at the local shop to have it replaced.. the both down pipes were shot and the mufflers and tails weren't a whole lot better

Lastly the other problem was the drivers seat.. we had to get rid of that When you sat in it it was completely split on the bottom so you were sitting kind of low and all so I threw in a nice suburban seat I had ( after swapping the tracks)
Im almost out of the free diesel the truck came with so ill be filling her up soon and changing the fuel filter.
The truck runs nice but the trans almost seems like it is a two speed. It goes up to 55 mph but seems like its straining. We manually downshifted it and it went into second The trans fluid is cherry red and the level is good but im going to have to change the pan gasket so Im going to do a trans service and diff service hopefully tomorrow.
The other thing that amazed me today was when I went for the alignment the guy there did an entire front end inspection and the front end was in excellent shape as well as the u joints.. all were pretty new and no play in anything.. I thought for sure that this old truck would need some front end work

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #59
HillbillyWizard

Hey Bob, Hope all is well with the build. I know you've been working on it a while. Glad the parts worked out.

I don't find the time to get on all the forums as much as I would like to but
I really appreciate all the kind words from the members here.

HillbillyWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #60
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Thanks Jon... I gotta get up there and get the parts we talked about there is more to the saga... Last weekend one of my workers stole my truck ( well not according to the law but stole it just the same) He was authorizes to use the truck to go home and come back to work but he decided to go off roading and then swamped the truck.. The seat is soaked he broke a rim and tire killed the batteries and got water in the trans not to mention the truck is covered in mud and needs to be thoroughly cleaned Im waiting to get the trans flushed to see if its still good

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #61
HillbillyWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Thanks Jon... I gotta get up there and get the parts we talked about there is more to the saga... Last weekend one of my workers stole my truck ( well not according to the law but stole it just the same) He was authorizes to use the truck to go home and come back to work but he decided to go off roading and then swamped the truck.. The seat is soaked he broke a rim and tire killed the batteries and got water in the trans not to mention the truck is covered in mud and needs to be thoroughly cleaned Im waiting to get the trans flushed to see if its still good
Holy smokes! Ouch! I can't believe he did that...well, Ok I can believe it but geez. I've been bringing more items to Halifax PA every week.
HillbillyWizard is offline   Reply With Quote