The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #51
tommys72

Re: ridicoulus prices for trucks

This has turned into a good thread...valid points on both sides I guess
Posted via Mobile Device

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #52
66skylarkpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
A lot of popular cars have become off limits, Chevelle's, 1st gen Camaros, 1st and 2nd gen Vettes. But if you are flexible in your requirements you can move to a newer gen car, or a different make.

I've been wanting a Chevelle for a while myself, and I ran across this one family owned Skylark for about 1/3 the going rate of a Chevelle.

nice 66, ive always had buicks where i couldnt afford camaros or chevelles. yet my first was 70 gs455 then i got my 66 with 47,000 miles in 1993 and built it into a nice rare car that would walk on a 396's most 454's
Attached Images

'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car

Last edited by 66skylarkpost; 01-21-2013 at 07:17 PM.
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #53
big mike71

I'll sale mine for $14,000
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #54
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66skylarkpost View Post
nice 66, ive always had buicks where i couldnt afford camaros or chevelles. yet my first was 70 gs455 then i got my 66 with 47,000 miles in 1993 and built it into a nice rare car that would walk on a 396's most 454's
My first was a 70 GS STAGE I also. Buicks have an image right up there with brown shoes, but they have a great performance history.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #55
Gmichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
Been a couple priced like that around here on CLs, dont see them selling.
Posted via Mobile Device
In the Barrett Jackson price guessing post, there is a pickup that was for sale locally on Craig's list for 35k. It was re-listed numerous times. It sold at BJ for 55k. Personally, I don't think it was even worth 35k... So yeah in a way I think it's Barrett jackson. But it makes people think their rust bucket is worth 25k because they saw the best of the best go for 50...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #56
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael View Post
In the Barrett Jackson price guessing post, there is a pickup that was for sale locally on Craig's list for 35k. It was re-listed numerous times. It sold at BJ for 55k. Personally, I don't think it was even worth 35k... So yeah in a way I think it's Barrett jackson. But it makes people think their rust bucket is worth 25k because they saw the best of the best go for 50...
That's real interesting. I generally subscribe to the theory that a vehicle is worth what a seller will take and what a buyer will give, but B-J shifts the paradigm - the seller gives up his right to say what the vehicle is worth (no reserve) and leaves it up to the buyers that B-J gathers to make that determination, so a vehicle is worth what a buyer is willing to pay to get it.

I think what your story proves is that it pays to know how to reach an audience of buyers that is willing and able to pay the amount you want. CL is good for $1500 clunkers, not so good at expensive stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #57
72chevynoob

You guys are lucky you can still find these old trucks for so cheap. Mine had more hidden rust than I want to admit and the drivetrain included a 305 . And it still cost around 3500. And that is considered a really good deal around here. The local wreckers have zero parts for these trucks, but do have one for sale out front. An old rusty dented up k10 with a sign that says "for sale- $9000". It has been there for a while without moving, but im sure somebody will end up buying it. Maybe for less, but still more than double what a lot of you guys are paying for trucks.
Just my $.02
Justin
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #58
Ironangel

I was layed off a couple weeks ago and got to watch BJ all week...There were some steals made early on during the week and for some reason this one stood out, a 55 Cameo Chevy truck sold for 26K! That truck was a 50K truck all day long! A low mileage one owner 72 Grand Torino Sport with a 429 under the hood went for 21K. There were several vehicles including a couple of 67-72 trucks that went for less than 20K...I gave $500 for my 72 three yrs ago and have dumped another 4K into its ongoing resto...Somebody used the term "tribute" another more common term "clone" ...I've been mulling over the idea for over a year now on just where I want go with my truck...After hearing what the stock options were on the 72 Chevelles I had an "epiphany" ...A 72 SS C-10! A Chevelle Tribute Clone to the lost COPO SS/396 C-10, with badges, stripes, air dam spoiler and Cowl Induction hood! I already have the 12 bolt posi under it...What do you think? Doable? That way I have my $100,000 Chevelle, and my priceless $500 C-10 Chevy!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #59
nobolt

one point that no one has mentioned:

the truck prices are going up because the DOLLAR is worth less and less every day.

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #60
JWall
Frequent Flyer

With the prices trucks were going for at Barrett I wish I would have applied to run my truck thru the auction.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #61
coyotedave

i am begining to think its "supply and demand". i have been looking for a 70-72 short wide for a few weeks now and only finding rusted out trucks. so! if anyone knows of a rust free truck please let me know!!!
coyotedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #62
54belair

I spend a lot of my spare time these days on the internet watching such meaningless (according to my wife) things as pricing trends, pricing variations and how they are effected by weather or economy etc.
If youre first question is why?----the answer is "something to do rather than watch tv"!
Anyway, we can all complain about prices (which I do daily), but the bottom line is: prices are going up this year on the thngs we love. There are many factors, many have been listed here already, but--its gonna happen. And, the price of junk will increase accordingly, as will the price of restorations. People are tired of waiting for things to get better and they are ready to get back to their hobbies regardless of the cost. Everyone is seeing that you can put more money into a project cause you can always take it to an auction and recover the cost (??) With our economy, there will continue to be the unfortunate cases where someone Has to sell his project to pay bills---these cases may be the only good deals this comming year. Prices on decent complete trucks are going to go up because there are sooo many salvagers who are dismantaling soo many trucks now. Thats good and bad----lots of parts but forces prices up.

Just over a year ago I started my 68 project, confident that I could do the frame off resto for a total cost of $10K. Today, the cab is still on the rotissary and Im very near my estimate and surprisingly for me, Im resigned to the fact that it will cost what it costs!
Now, back to something real---what I really wanted to say was--buy your toys this year cause Im afraid we are all going to be shaking our heads at prices by this time next year. Inspect your prospects well and expect to be pissed at the asking price and dicker on the price well. Last thing is-- call me if you have any excellent parts to sell Really cheap!!! LOL
good luck to us all.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #63
myyamr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotedave View Post
i am begining to think its "supply and demand". i have been looking for a 70-72 short wide for a few weeks now and only finding rusted out trucks. so! if anyone knows of a rust free truck please let me know!!!
My thoughts as well, and of course an over inflated NADA value to add to it.
I searched for a few months before I finally bought my truck. It was a shocker to see the asking prices when I first started looking. There was a lot of junk, and a few good trucks listed. It took me a month of haggling over the price of the truck I bought, the seller started at $7k and was firm, after a month, I finally got the truck for $5k. It was the best buy I could find, and I still plan a full frame off restoration. When I first got it home and looked closer, my first thoughts were I paid to much....but the good outweighs the bad on this one. I'm sure I'll find hidden rust, but I can deal with that. The selling points to me over the others I looked at were only small amounts of rust showing, a new GM goodwrench 350 engine, and a rebuilt TH350 transmission.

I saw several trucks in the $2-3k price range, but none were complete trucks.
myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #64
72chevynoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
one point that no one has mentioned:

the truck prices are going up because the DOLLAR is worth less and less every day.
In Alberta its not the economy. In fact, our economy has remained nearly unchanged. However, many who live close to the border will buy some things like clothes in the U.S. because it is still way cheaper to buy there. I would say the reason these trucks are so expensive is supply and demand, due to how rare these trucks are in Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #65
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
A lot of popular cars have become off limits, Chevelle's, 1st gen Camaros, 1st and 2nd gen Vettes. But if you are flexible in your requirements you can move to a newer gen car, or a different make.

I've been wanting a Chevelle for a while myself, and I ran across this one family owned Skylark for about 1/3 the going rate of a Chevelle.
I've been eyeballing a '65 Olds F-85 as well... Lots of nice B.O.P.'s out there for way cheaper than Chevelles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Anyone can ask whatever they want for their stuff....its their choice, its a free country.
I love these trucks but they seriously run out of financial 'worth' (ie: steam) after $15k...and great examples can be found in that price range all day long in about 15 minutes on line.
If someone decides to sink...and I do mean sink...$30k into one...knock yourself out, its your truck. However do not expect someone else to pick up that tab should you decide to sell it.......you are one your own and should get comfortable with not seeing that money again. Hopefully the money was spent out of love and interest...thus providing full payback I suppose.
Just my two bits guys.
Coley

Great post...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #66
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotedave View Post
Try this one Dave....looks like a good starter and a good price based on whats showing here.
Give it some elbow grease, a very heavy cut wax....some new wheels, rims or caps and ba-da-bing you're in the club!!
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3553936186.html
Would make a nice weekend trip for ya'
or....maybe a short bed project...with 'some' of the hard work done:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item3a7dbd974b
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #67
yote1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Try this one Dave....looks like a good starter and a good price based on whats showing here.
Give it some elbow grease, a very heavy cut wax....some new wheels, rims or caps and ba-da-bing you're in the club!!
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3553936186.html
Would make a nice weekend trip for ya'
All Good
Coley
thx for the heads up. but im looking for a short cheyenne. really like the one in your avatar!! thx,dave
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #68
cjb70chevy

theres a guy in my town thats got a 71 gmc fully restored, custom paint job, built 350 with nos, built trans with overdrive, ford 9 inch, hotchkis full suspension, billet wheels. its won some awards at car shows and wants 23,000 for it an he's been selling it for about a year atleast.
cjb70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #69
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

After watching a rousing weekend of Barrett-Jackson auctions and feeling extremely poor and inadequate in the funding department for hot rods and old trucks. It will take me several months to be able to even consider buying another truck part.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #70
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
My other beef is cats that will build a "tribute" car, but want actual car prices. Like taking a '66 Lemans and turning it into a '66 GTO. Or taking a plain jane 6 cylinder Mustang and turning it into a GT 500. Or a Chevy Malibu and turning it into an "LS6" Super Sport.

If you're building a "tribute" rig, you should expect "tribute" prices.

Gary
In the case of the muscle cars, VINs or PHS documentation in the case of Pontiacs, can quickly identify a clone vs. the real deal. If someone is willing to pay good money for a tribute car and the car isn't being represented as the real deal, then I say it is their money to use as they see fit.

We have become somewhat spoiled by how available and reasonable restoration parts are for our trucks when compared to what stuff costs for the muscle cars, especially if the part isn't reproduced or if it is for one year only. For example, the tail light bezels for my 65 GTO are re-proed and are $350 a pair. The lenses are another $205. The sail panel trim piece isn't re -proed and it is generally about $500 to have refurbished. So, $1000+ across the rear of the car not counting a bumper if needed.

I was surprised by the prices at the BJ auction. Perhaps it was an abberation. Future auctions and sales will show whether it will be a trend or not. In any event, I bet the sellers were very happy.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #71
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Sold doesn't necessarily mean Sold at BJ, I've posted on this before as my family are all Auctioneers. I watched a lot of Scottsdale an didn't see alot of our trucks go across.
As far as price goes I have about 30K in mine, full on nut and bolt resto with a ton of nos and cherry oem parts, and I did most of the work. But it's a brand new 70 bb short stepper....so whats it worth...and if someone else falls in love with it whats it worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #72
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Sold doesn't necessarily mean Sold at BJ, I've posted on this before as my family are all Auctioneers. I watched a lot of Scottsdale an didn't see alot of our trucks go across.
As far as price goes I have about 30K in mine, full on nut and bolt resto with a ton of nos and cherry oem parts, and I did most of the work. But it's a brand new 70 bb short stepper....so whats it worth...and if someone else falls in love with it whats it worth.
Would you elaborate please? What exactly does Sold mean at BJ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #73
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Sure, if it's yours you tell BJ what it takes to sell it. If it's off the money your helper is the last bidder. Sold! ...back to you, you have to pay both the buyer fee 10% and the seller fee of 8%, so for 18% of the Sold price you get to take your car home. Quite the $$ maker for BJ.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #74
72chevynoob

...isnt that illegal?

Last edited by 72chevynoob; 01-22-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: thought my phone didnt post an earlier reply.
72chevynoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #75
j3162978

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
What is really strange to me is that I never ever seen a 70 chevelle SS sell for more than 18-20K prior to Barrett-Jackson, now every one wants 100,000 + for one. I like to call it the millionaires playground. No offense to anyone who has sold one for high dollars but I think it moved the market to a higher level and us middle class working people don't have a chance.
Great point!
j3162978 is offline   Reply With Quote