The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #51
64fleetside

Re: Ol John Lee is hurt

If you have uninsured "property" coverage, it will cover your truck. Hit and run semi claimed my old black 64 and State Farm paid for my truck.

http://m210.photobucket.com/albumvie...WmF34VXnxF8%3D
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #52
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I do have the uninsured motorist. That would be my last avenue. Mostly its irritating as the other guys insurance so far refuses to communicate with me. But, I'll keep contacting them daily and I should know more on lawyer options this week.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #53
64fleetside

You might call your ins man-lots of times they can light a fire under another ins company with the threat of subrogation-they will pay for your truck, then sue the other company for reimbursement. Ins companies have lots of lawyers.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #54
jamesrussell26

they are going to do that if they have to pay anyway.chances are they have already started the process
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #55
Sharps40
Account Suspended

First lawyer says no dice, won't take it. Have to call the BAR now. So, pretty much throwin darts at the phone book. Hoped to avoid that but it is what it is. Maybe with an initial consult or two I can narrow it down to a good lawyer if I need one. What a joruney this will be.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #56
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Success. Called HQ asked a human to help a human and contact another human. Humans now speaking and all drivers and all owners interviewed, police report acquired instantaneously on line, contact information verified and witnesses added, statements made and inspection of the vehicle scheduled at the body shop in the next 2 to 4 days...hmmmm...All I did is call HQ and when they said what can we help you with Mr. Not Our Customer? I said, How about getting hold of Mrs X and we actually have the conversation that was scheduled by you for early afternoon EST on 15 Feb? They did and we did and me and Ol John Lee are a mite happier now, not much, just a mite.

Still awaiting professional prognosis on the damages.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #57
Indian113

Hang In there,there's a lot of us hoping for the best for Ol John Lee.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #58
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I will be much releaved when the shop calls to announce the frame is repairable at a price I can afford. Insurance payments are secondary and will be a hell cat to fight with. Its the frame that eats at me. Is it fixable and can I afford it. I saw two beauty trucks on craigslist and right now if feels like steppin out on a good woman but I'm only lookin and lookin ain't cheetin even if it feels like it. I gotta stay calm and wait it out. Damn its hard to do.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #59
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Wow, suddenly the tree is shakin. Had a message this AM that the appraiser is headin to the shop to look at the truck did I wanna come along. Hell yeah if I can get outta work I'm goin. Called em back and left...ya guessed it, another damn message. But, we'll see. Might get to go along and see the inspection process, course, what I think at this point don't count for much. But maybe soon we'll know if its fixable and if the insurance is gonna make a reasonable repair offer or be buttholes.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #60
shortbed70

I don't want to be the barer of bad news but I think there's more than meets the eye! I would bet if it goes on a frame machine there going to have to pull the frontend back to te passenger side.. Is it salvageable, yea but its going to get pricey... Dr fender, inner fender, rad support, grill and grill backer, bumper and supports and I would throw in a hood hinge or two an to me it almost looks like the steering shaft might be bent a bit. The frame will be the tough part for a insurance guy to say fix with cracks. They are tough on that side of repairs... They are used to all the new stuff. Hope they cut you a good break.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #61
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yer right. Keep or sell, it all hinges on the frame. The insurance check is just a means to pay for some or all of the repairs.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #62
tincan1966

When our '66 GMC was totaled, it took over 2 years and 9 court appearances to get a settlement. Teenage driver, using a cell phone, not to mention was the Fire Chief and Clerk of the Court's son. Of coarse, we had medical bills to repair her broken shoulder, etc,etc. We were offered $800 for ours, but held out and finally got $2300 and kept it. Our appraised value was $4350- it was an original 50K mile truck-one owner before us.

being in the body repair business for alot of years, frankly, that frame damage looks bad. it's not a "just pull it out and weld it" repair.
Also, you could be in for a surprise, since you've removed parts since the wreck. We couldn't touch ours until the adjuster showed up.
I do, honestly hope for nothing but the best outcome for you, it's sad to see these vehicles discarded in these situations, simply because they are old.

And for those wanting to know the outcome of throwing a 2000 Forf Focus at the side of one of our trucks at 30MPH, refer to the last pic! Ours was fixable.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #63
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I expect the worst case for the frame and from the insurance company. Having been down this road before with lawyers and legal fees, I have a cut my losses line in mind. Its pretty much just a waiting game at this point.

As for the removal, I only pulled bumper to get the car in the garage. In the absense of communication (documented with my Insurance) I followed my insurance companies instructions...get it in for a professional assessment.

Really, in this old world it's hard to have and keep anything nice. But, we'll come out the other end and start over on this truck or another.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #64
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Met the appraiser and looked over Ol John Lee....no disassembly done...thats the good news. Plenty of oldies in this experienced shop. Appraiser says a solid and sound truck worthy of restoration and my valuation is reasonable. So, for what its worth (wish in one hand, crap in the other and see which one is full...) the process is moveing forward. Frame damage is initially evaluated. Fixaible but in the range that frame swap may make sense. So, while wait for the insurance company to call, I fret and fume and plan and dream.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #65
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm glad to hear a little good news in your situation.

Just from seeing the pictures of the frame damage, I would say a frame swap would be the better option. That is if you can find one in your area or close by. Remember to check with your local DMV or LEO to be sure you have all the necessary paper work for a different frame, so that you don't have any legal issues later on. As in having a frame with a different VIN than your cab and title.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #66
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I've never seen a number on the frame and been all over several. I've heard this discussion before where is this number located? Though if it comes to it, the shop knows what they are doing. Meantime, we may have one or two already located so just waiting on final numbers and discussions with insurance.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #67
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Wongeroo, thanks for the pm. Left front upper frame rail in front of the upper forward control arm mount. We'll keep it in mind if a frame swap is needed!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #68
Woogeroo

Check the laws on the frame swap/legal issues in your state, before you do it!

That is, if it is necessary.

-W
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #69
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I'll talk with the shop after the insurance company makes their offers and we see what if anything can be done by way of repairs. The shop does restos and collision so I'm sure they have the scoop and I don't have to go ask the dosn't know a thing correctly contracted clerk at the dmv. My guess is the simplest NC engagement is to issue salvage title, but ya never know. Funny, all the dmvs check the window/door tag if they even check...bet only 1 in 100 frames ever gets checked.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #70
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I understand your point. However, we are just looking out for ya and trying to avoid a bad situation for you down the road. Here in Idaho, if a VIN inspection happens to be performed, and the frame and body VIN numbers are not the same, and you don't have the correct paperwork, your vehicle can be confiscated and possibly crushed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #71
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I know yer lookin out for me. I appreciate it. I did a quick scan of the DMV Site, looks like it may fall under either salvage title or more likely in NC Custom build. Custom build contains words like substantially repaired and new and used parts. Although a quick scan shows none of the words frame, replacement, etc. So, may or may not be an issue. For now I think its not in my top 5. It'll get to the top 5 if a means (money) toward repair is made available. Sorta reached a calm stage now...trucks been looked at, resting comfortably among his peers in a garage that does fine work, got lines of attack on frames/front clips and multiple trucks. Nothing much more I can do pending insurance. It it happens right, then the steel chips and rusty bolts will start flying, you bet!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #72
rifraz

Glad to know that things are looking up. Hoping for the best possible outcome. I know I would not be as calm about things if it had been me. I just don't deal with with stupid very well. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
Sharps40
Account Suspended

This makes 5 uninsured driver hits. Three for me, two for Dad. He had two brand new trucks smashed in one year by uninsured drivers, the first wreck landed him in a water retention pond with a broken back and broken eyesocket. My first was a 1937 Dodge sedan Flathead 6 that I'd driven daily for nearly 20 years. We're both gettin kinda tired of the whole affair!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #74
gimmy 64

sounds like NC needs to crack down on uninsured drivers. here in cali they kinda did but why do i still have to have uninsured clause on my insurance?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #75
Sharps40
Account Suspended

VA and PA too, we been clobbered across three states!
Closed Thread