The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #51
77ChevySharkBite

Re: Wasted Dragon's 79' Chevy K10

nice man coming along nicely!!!!

If you don't mind me being nosey why you moving?

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #52
Wasted Dragon

Haha I don't mind. I jus need something new. Right now, I ain't living in Humboldt County, that's just where I grew up. Eureka, CA til I was 18. Right now, I live in Chico, CA, and I've just had about enough of this place. I'm only 21 right now, figure I got a lot of time to move around. Gonna get a good job and just see what it's like.

I know it sounds like a random plan, but my life has been full of random ever since I moved from my hometown.
Wasted Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #53
Wasted Dragon

So today I went and replaced the radiator hoses. Also, replaced the thermostat, and the inlet.

Slightly bulged hoses

Weird old rusty spring in the lower hose for some odd reason. Needless to say, I didn't put it in the new one. Don't need more rust for no reason.

Old Edelbrock that's gonna need some major cleaning.

And of course I go and break something. Some vacuum/coolant pressure device off the inlet. Have no clue what it's function is, but I have to pick one up now.

Old Thermostat that was replaced

Dirty hole lol cleaned it up a little bit.

Old vs new thermostat

Puttin it together

Ready to go for tomorrow once I put in the replacement thing I broke.

And also, some interior pics. That green skull is my shift knob, and yes, it drives me nuts. Have yet to find a stock replacement. Also, I bought a metra kit so the stereo looks cleaner. Doesn't look as bad in the picture as it does in person.

When I go to the junk yard and try to find original vents for the dash board. Hoping it will give the heater an actual function besides defrost.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
77ChevySharkBite

Nice man!!

Staying busy!!

Well sounds like you got quite the plan going on man, yeah don't be afraid to change it up but my advise honestly man just stick it out when you get there and stay there for a while because you don't want to move too often man. I mean just enjoy being young is my advise.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #55
Wasted Dragon

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I'm movin. I've been unhappy with this town, but I'm still young. So I figure I'll just move to Wyoming and see if the grass is greener on the other side. I have multiple reasons why I want to move, but I don't want to hurt people's feelings with my opinion of Chico haha. Just tired of it all.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #56
Wasted Dragon

Today, I went through the fuse box, and checked to see if all the fuses were right.

After that I went and fixed my reverse light issue. They wouldn't come on at all. They do now though. Basically the plug that goes to the tranny had it's wires burned from the exhaust. I tried to save it by replacing a section of wire, but I couldn't get plug to go in. So I just gave up on it, and crimped standard female ends on the wires and got it in.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #57
Wasted Dragon

What I really want to do now is go to the junk yard and get a TBI setup. Figure it would be worth it for my trip to Wyoming. I'm still pretty good on the budget too. Really need to do more research though.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #58
77ChevySharkBite

Nice work man!

Yeah I'm waiting for the weekends I'm not going to have anything really planned and I have my "workshop" aka garage back if the job isn't too bad in my truck I'll leave it alone but I'd like to clean up my wires, I'm OCD when it comes to having them nice and neat and tucked and hidden.

Yeah a TBI setup would possibly be worth the money you could get a decent increase in mileage for your trip, begin that it'll be so long.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #59
Wasted Dragon

Yeah, the only thing that annoys me with wires is if I see them hanging down, because I'm always afraid of em getting caught on someones foot.

Went to the junk yard today. Was fortunate to come across an untouched '91 Chevy C1500. Had the TBI and everything all just waiting for me. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have much time since I went there at 4:30 and they close at 6. So I just got a couple things, really tried to get the harness and everything connected, but my time ran out.

Wish there was an easy way to get the whole thing out of there. I'm gonna search and see what people say, but anyways, how bout a pic.

And I also found a stock shifter which I was pretty ecstatic about.

Gonna probably go there in the morning since I don't have work until 2.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #60
77ChevySharkBite

Sweet!!! Nice score bro!!!! Hope your able to get the rest of the goodies tomorrow man!

I need to go visit a junkyard this weekend actually to look for a new front end clip for my truck!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #61
Wasted Dragon

Thanks man, good luck to you too.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #62
77ChevySharkBite

Thanks bro I appreciate it!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #63
MalibuSSwagon

Dont waste your cash on a disc brake conversion. the drums are easy to rebuild on these trucks, and cheap!

Also, check out rockauto.com for parts, the prices are great and shipping is usually fast.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #64
Wasted Dragon

Yeah, that's my thinking too now. I don't have the cash anyways.

I've bought from rockauto before, it is a great place to buy parts.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #65
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Dragon View Post
Yeah, the only thing that annoys me with wires is if I see them hanging down, because I'm always afraid of em getting caught on someones foot.

Went to the junk yard today. Was fortunate to come across an untouched '91 Chevy C1500. Had the TBI and everything all just waiting for me. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have much time since I went there at 4:30 and they close at 6. So I just got a couple things, really tried to get the harness and everything connected, but my time ran out.

Wish there was an easy way to get the whole thing out of there. I'm gonna search and see what people say, but anyways, how bout a pic.

And I also found a stock shifter which I was pretty ecstatic about.

Gonna probably go there in the morning since I don't have work until 2.
cool finds
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #66
Wasted Dragon

Hey guys, haven't really been able to do much lately. Sliced open my hand on the second to last day of work. Got a little cocky loosening a bolt and when it came loose, my hand slammed caught the edge of the skid plate. I was pretty angry with myself.

But before that happened I did get some stuff done. I managed to get the harness out with some sensors from the junkyard truck.

Also, my first order from lmc truck came in with my gas tank, tie rods, and steering stabilizer.

And some installed pics...

Sorry my ipod camera is so crappy guys.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #67
Wasted Dragon

If you wanna see how bad the tie rods were, you can click this link to a video of me moving the tie rod joint with my pinky.

http://s737.photobucket.com/user/was...265e1.mp4.html
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #68
77ChevySharkBite

Glad to see you get some work done man!! Sorry to hear about your hand that sucks! Hope it heals up fast!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #69
Wasted Dragon

Thanks man, it's not too bad. In fact, I managed to replace my transfer case output seal with little to no bleeding after. I didn't get any pics, but here's some stuff anyone might need:

* 33" Socket (At any auto parts store, but it'll probably be in the form of an large impact socket like mine)

* 2" PCV Pipe (What I used to get the seal in)

Hopefully it won't leak anymore, but guess we'll see how my install results go.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #70
Wasted Dragon

Dropped the leaky patched gas tank today. Didn't finish up since the fuel sending unit didn't come til later in the day. The one I bought is a tbi sending unit for an '87 chevy. Dropping the gas tank is simple like everything else with the truck. Only think that'll give ya a hard time is the fuel hoses, espcially if there's gas in em. My gas tank wasn't used for who know how long, so the only thing that came out of them was dust.

Here are some pics:

This is the new seal for the transfer case output shaft from last time

Unplugging fuel lines, you can see some built up residue from charcoal canister vent hard line.

Tank dropped, as you can see, I was pretty lazy and didn't really try to remove all the hoses. Still came out easy haha.

Here's new tank, with new sending unit, and new efi rated hoses. ( if I ever get to doing the tbi swap in time) Reason I went with the '87 sending unit is that it comes with the return line fitting. Plus I can still use the tank anyways, even if I don't use the return line. Just can plug it.

Again, sorry for the crappy pics, I need a better camera. My iPod has seen better days lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #71
Wasted Dragon

Oh and in the above pic, I got a fuel filter for it. That is what's on top of the gas tank. I couldn't figure out how to get the sock on the sending unit anyways so, figured it didn't matter. The thing next to it is the mechanical fuel pump block-off plate, which I didn't really think about until just now. Mine is gonna be a pain to get to, since I live in Cali and I have the A.I.R. Pump, on the bottom left of engine, in the way. I never really read about it, and I guess you can't just bypass the old pump, so it looks like I don't really got a choice. Just a little more work.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #72
Wasted Dragon

So I got good news and bad new. Good news is, I got the new tank in and ready to go, I even got a call from the job I applied for in Wyoming. I'm in looks like. Bad news is I have no time to attempt the TBI Swap anymore. So it looks like my efforts to save money went the other way. Still, I will probably get it done some other time.

All the hoses are EFI rated. Everything tight, no leaks.

You can see my fuel filter there, my return hose from the sending unit is capped with a bolt I found in the bed.

And just now, I got back from my journey for finding used tires. Everywhere I went they didn't any used 33 R15 tires. I was pretty disappointed, the size I thought was pretty common, but I guess it's not now-a-days. Maybe just depends on where you live.

Anyways I couldn't find any, even on craigslist, and all new tires were around $1000+.

But then I called this one place, they had a new set, and it was the only one with the right size. They were $650, so I jumped on it right away. Not good for gas mileage, but better then bald cracked tires.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #73
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Dragon View Post
So I got good news and bad new. Good news is, I got the new tank in and ready to go, I even got a call from the job I applied for in Wyoming. I'm in looks like. Bad news is I have no time to attempt the TBI Swap anymore. So it looks like my efforts to save money went the other way. Still, I will probably get it done some other time.

All the hoses are EFI rated. Everything tight, no leaks.

You can see my fuel filter there, my return hose from the sending unit is capped with a bolt I found in the bed.

And just now, I got back from my journey for finding used tires. Everywhere I went they didn't any used 33 R15 tires. I was pretty disappointed, the size I thought was pretty common, but I guess it's not now-a-days. Maybe just depends on where you live.

Anyways I couldn't find any, even on craigslist, and all new tires were around $1000+.

But then I called this one place, they had a new set, and it was the only one with the right size. They were $650, so I jumped on it right away. Not good for gas mileage, but better then bald cracked tires.

wicked lookin rubber!
yup, jobs call backs are good news
just box up the FI stuff ,keep it for next time
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #74
Wasted Dragon

Thanks Motornut

Just wanted to post and say I made it with no problems. Engine kept cool the whole way. Went 55 mph most of the way, kept the motor runnin around 2250 rpm. I 99% sure now that I got 4:10 in the diff. Which I kinda wish I had 3:73, but it helped get me up the hills I guess. Prob got around 10 mpg with the edelbrock carb. Not too bad I would think, plus gas got cheaper as I went. $3.49 per gal here believe it or not. Then again, it is a mining town so go figure. Only thing was, I had to put a quart of oil in the engine every couple hundred miles.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #75
77ChevySharkBite

Glad you made it safe bro!!

Gas is about the same here, but hope everything goes smooth with the transition and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off