The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 AM   #51
Trackbar

Re: gas tank location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.sisk View Post
How can I get more than one pic at a time?
Posted via Mobile Device
what tank are you using?
Trackbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #52
In The Ten Ring

"cdowns" is good at getting people's hair in a mess (he has mine before) but he's a straight shooter and that's a valuable person to have around. In this case, he's right.

My dad drove my truck for 20 years and never had a problem with the in-cab tank. The tank is better protected since it's inside another layer of steel and if you get hit hard enough to rupture an in-cab tank you are going to have the same sort of impact problems with your body BEFORE anything made of metal does.

Putting the tank under the bed will invite road debris damage and greater likelihood of rear-end damage.

Now all that aside, I'd like to move my tank to the rear, perhaps when I get the truck a frame-off restoration. It'll suck though as I (or my hired man) will have to fabricate a useful filling method, such as out-of-the-side marker lamp. I'll also run afoul of the trailer hitch.

Pros:

1). Tool bag room behind the seat. Also good for the truck carbine and yes, we carry those where I come from.

2). Um....I am out of positives.

Cons:

1). Fabricating the way to fill the tank without putting a filler cap in the bed. It's a truck and people haul things in the bed!

2). Room for trailer hitch?

3). Possible road damage

4). Rear-end damage

5). No place for a fuel shut off valve.

Remember, I want to do it myself sometime but I'll have all those things planned out way in advance.

OP: if your tank is causing your filters to clog, your tank is probably flash rusted inside. You are also going to have to replace every inch of fuel line and the pump because those are also rusted inside. I just yesterday completed replacing all of my lines. You can get your tank "renewed" at a radiator shop (not cheap) and you can make your own fuel lines. If I can do it ANYONE can do it. Heck, it's even fun.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 AM   #53
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackbar View Post
what tank are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry.sisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 AM   #54
Larry.sisk

I'm not sure what brand I know that the sender isVDO the PO had started this and the mounting was wrong etc. any way it is a square 22 gallon stainless steel tank and it fits nice in between the fram on my 72 I'll get a pic of the rear but it does not hang down too far in my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2015, 02:05 AM   #55
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackbar View Post
what tank are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 02:07 AM   #56
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure what the brand is but the sender says VDO. It is a square SS 22 gal. Tank and it fits nice between the frame rails
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2015, 02:14 AM   #57
Norgermish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
WOW...! I have to ask Just why you believe a fuel tank located 5 inches behind a flammable seat is anywhere near a good idea or safer than relocating the tank to a proven safe zone , And how you didn't see the heading "GAS TANK FIRES THE 4.9 BILLION DOLLAR VERDICT " ? You may have to read more than the heading ! More lame shirtless crappola ? 21,282 posts and your not a paid member ? really ?
Is this what you are talking about? In what is believed to be the largest award ever in a personal-injury lawsuit, the General Motors Corporation was ordered today to pay $4.9 billion to six people severely burned when the fuel tank of their 1979 Chevrolet Malibu exploded after a rear-end collision.

"Besides, how many million people drove a VW Bug, with the gas tank sitting in an unprotected trunk LITERALLY less than 1 foot from their legs? And how many of those old VWs had a gas heater - with an open flame - less than 1 foot from the gas tank?
We might also want to recall the (I think) NBC expose on these trucks, where they showed video of a Chevy pickup exploding in flames as a result of being T-Boned. The only problem is that somebody picked up on the fact that the pickup burst into flames BEFORE it got hit." In other words it was staged and proven a hoax.
Norgermish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 AM   #58
swamp rat

Dang, i thought this thread died a much deserved death.. LOL!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #59
Craftsmen

All I know is that since I mounted my tank to the back I no longer have to use anymore of those scented Christmas trees😏
Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #60
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Dang, i thought this thread died a much deserved death.. LOL!
Flame war aside, I'm just trying to find an answer to my question, which is why I even responded. What it sounds like by the responses is that *no* conversion kit allows the tank to be in the back but route the filler back to the cabin where it's originally located.... :-/
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #61
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Flame war aside, I'm just trying to find an answer to my question, which is why I even responded. What it sounds like by the responses is that *no* conversion kit allows the tank to be in the back but route the filler back to the cabin where it's originally located.... :-/
There probably isn't a kit for that as it's such a rare thing. Kits are going to exist for common things in order to make selling the kit worth the trouble.

If your truck is a fleetside, I'd think you could do it yourself.

If/when I do it, I want it to come out the side of my left wheel fender (I have a stepside).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #62
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'll leave mine in the cab. If there's a leak simply get a new tank. I am. I understand Spectra is a great tank and think I've read where they bolt right in. Besides, if I wreck my truck enough to blow the tank up then I don't want to live anyway.........JK.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #63
MaineHugger

What about using one of the burst-proof polyurethane tanks? Titan, for example, has them all the way up to 50 gallons. The geometry is designed for various newer trucks, but I'd be curious if anyone has installed one in a C/K? The idea of an extra large, non-metal tank appeals to me.
MaineHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #64
swamp rat

Quote:
there is no "Kit" for that but there is somebody here was working on that a while back, he mocked it up using white pvc pipe and drilled a hole in the lower back wall of the cab and ran the pipe back to the rear mounted tank, i have no idea if it was ever finished, no idea how well the gas may have flowed ect.

If i ever tried that it would be with using exhaust pipe, the pipe leaving the cab would have to be higher than the inlet on the tank, plus the burp hose could be a problem if it was not also in a direct line and with no dips for any gas to pool up in it. I'm not convinced it would be a good idea, it may be better if you must retain the stock filler location to mount a saddle tank on the outside of the frame under the bed.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #65
Larry.sisk

Hey electric, did you see any of my posts on my conversion I was trying to show you what I had done and it turned into a Flame/ explosion discussion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #66
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Hey electric, did you see any of my posts on my conversion I was trying to show you what I had done and it turned into a Flame/ explosion discussion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #67
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry Elektrik my auto correct kicked in
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #68
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya, I did. Was looking for something not quite so drastic. Would like to relocate the tank, but not if I have to cut into the bed and/or close the original hole. Was looking for a kit that allowed me to reroute the tank but keep the originality of it....

Thanks though, I'm sure it'll look awesome when you're done!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #69
Norgermish

Quote:
Ya, I did. Was looking for something not quite so drastic. Would like to relocate the tank, but not if I have to cut into the bed and/or close the original hole. Was looking for a kit that allowed me to reroute the tank but keep the originality of it....

Thanks though, I'm sure it'll look awesome when you're done!
I saw on one of those car shows, I think it was FantomWorks, where they actually ran the fuel fill pipe up through the bedside extender hole in the left rear corner of the bed, then used a flush mounted spring loaded filler cap. Looks like you just have to knock out the stop tab down inside and possibly mess around underneath to get a tube up inside there.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #70
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgermish View Post
I saw on one of those car shows, I think it was FantomWorks, where they actually ran the fuel fill pipe up through the bedside extender hole in the left rear corner of the bed, then used a flush mounted spring loaded filler cap. Looks like you just have to knock out the stop tab down inside and possibly mess around underneath to get a tube up inside there.
Cool! Will do some Googling! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #71
kell490

I'm going to relocate my tank when my truck is ready, but it seems to me the location is prime for a rupture if you get into a rear end collision which is far more common then side impact which mostly happens in red light T-bones. I guess at least you have a chance to get out of the truck before gas is on you being under the truck.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #72
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgermish View Post
I saw on one of those car shows, I think it was FantomWorks, where they actually ran the fuel fill pipe up through the bedside extender hole in the left rear corner of the bed, then used a flush mounted spring loaded filler cap. Looks like you just have to knock out the0 stop tab down inside and possibly mess around underneath to get a tube up inside there.
Hmm...did about an hour worth of googling and even on the FantomWorks site and I don't see any links to the gas tank...
Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #73
Norgermish

Quote:
Hmm...did about an hour worth of googling and even on the FantomWorks site and I don't see any links to the gas tank...
This is all I can find on it, http://fantomworks.com/project/1965-chevrolet-c10/
Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 AM   #74
Norgermish

I am searching for the episode looks like season 2 episode 4 "Size Does Matter". Here are some screenshots. It turns out that it was a 1965 C10
Name:  HiddenGascap.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  HiddenGascap1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  HiddenGascap3.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  HiddenGascap4.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  Hidden Gascap5.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  24.5 KB

Last edited by Norgermish; 05-19-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #75
Norgermish

In this pic you can see the mounted tank and how they ran the filler line

Name:  IMG_7414-640x427.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  47.8 KB