The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #51
ekgguy

Re: The "I Have a Vision" but very little knowledge Build

Rebuilding inside the cowl piece...

and the kick panel remodeling...

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #52
ekgguy

Re: Penny

After much consideration,

Out with the old

In with the new(er)

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
Old 10-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #53
ekgguy

Now that it isn't 100 degrees in the shade, I am finally getting to put some of the parts on that I have been hoarding over the summer.

Got the New-To-Me replacement cab on with the new cab bushings. Lines up pretty well.

Loosely bolted everything back on, test fitting the cab, fender, core support that are all replacement parts, making sure they all play nice.

Sprayed the inside of the cab with undercoating.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #54
ekgguy

While the sanding and painting of the inside of the cab is going on, I will be updating all of the front suspension parts...

Old 10-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #55
ekgguy

This is what the inside of the cab is going to be painted with. It is a matte copper metallic.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #56
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

[QUOTE=ekgguy;7195733]As the title says, I have a "Vision" of what I want the truck to be when it is done, but I have very little experience and just enough knowledge to make me dangerous.

I bought this truck 6 months before my youngest daughter got her drivers license in March of 2012 and the intent was to have it ready for her Senior Year. Needless to say, that didn't happen, but life did. Today, she is a Sophomore in college, with a little economical gas saver car to get around with and she has no interest at all in the truck.

But I do..... I have putzed around with it over the last few years, going this direction, changing this, changing that, but never have had a real direction in where or what I was going to do.

A couple of weeks ago, I found a thread that Elliot949 started about a board member here named Chad "Hellaflush3d" that did 3D renderings of our trucks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661301 I contacted Chad and through several emails, tried to give him an idea of what I was wanting, and the vision I had for my truck.

Here is what I started with. This is the day that I brought it home.

and with a little input from me and a lot of Chad's magic computer pen, this is what I am hoping for in the somewhat near future

I hope that I can come even somewhat close to these renderings.

I am going to go through some of the things that I have done.... whether they are the good, bad, ugly, right or wrong. It is all a learning experience for me.[/QUOTE
Rendering reminds me another members truck (slick67) I think . Color was similar and he was in Texas . Truck got totaled and he's building a blazer .
2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #57
ekgguy

Changed ends in the garage. Going to take a break from bodywork and sheetmetal and do some suspension work.

Got it up in the air at a good working height, ready to scrape who knows how many years of gunk and grime off and replace, refresh and repaint everything.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #58
ekgguy

Over the past couple of weekends, I have made a little progress on the front end.

Managed to get everything off.

Scraped a TON of who-knows-what off the crossmember

Starting the frame cleanup while waiting for the A-Arms to be sandblasted

Got the A-Arms back from sandblasting. Coated them with some Eastwood Rust Resolver, primed, then painted. Left is complete with new ball joints and control arm bushings. Right is waiting for the ball joint dust cover. For some reason, it came without one.

Lower arms are coated with Rust Resolver and are dry but need some more time. This weekend they will be primed and painted with the same black frame paint as the uppers, then ready for installation.

Side Note: I have been stockpiling these front end parts for the last couple of months. As the $$ was there, buy a couple of pieces here and a couple of parts there. Since I was not in a hurry, I purchased all of the stock replacement parts (tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, etc) from Rockauto.com.
The pricing was pretty good, they beat the local parts houses around here. However, their customer service leaves something to be desired. One of the upper ball joints came without the dust cover/grease cover. I called Rockauto, figuring they would just ship me another one. No such luck. I could do either one of two things: 1. Remove the installed ball joint, send it back and upon them receiving it, they would ship another one. 2. I could purchase it again. Neither of those options appealed to me, as I really wanted to get the front end back together. So, I bought one locally and will not buy from Rockauto again.

Side Note II: I found a really good option for removing and installing the ball joints, both upper and lower. The uppers just bolt right in, no issues at all, although I did manage to put the first one in upside down. The local Autozone here in town has a tool lending program. You leave a deposit, take and use the tool, bring it back, they give you back your deposit, 0 out of pocket cost. Easy peasy. The entire process took maybe 20 minutes, getting the old ones out and the new ones installed.

Finally, since I was in a parts ordering mood, I decided to go with the Classic Performance Drop Spindle Brake Kits 6370SWBK6OE from Summit Racing.