The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #51
Isaiah92260

Re: Battery charging problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
The way this started with me was that my trusty original 35 amp Prestolite alternator and regulator on my 64 Rambler, after having traveled 145K miles, were finally worn out or rusted. A regulator alone, if even the correct one, was going to cost me over $180.

Figured out how to wire in a 10si. Didn't like it because the light would come on at really low idle. Tried another, the same. Sold one, still have the first one (spare). Maybe it will go into my truck when I do away with the regulator. Put a CS130 in the Rambler and now the light is out before the engine starts. I think the Rambler crank pulley may be slightly smaller in dia. causing the light to come on at low idle when the 10si was in there.

I helped another fellow by installing said fantastic alternator in his car and he is equally pleased with its performance.

Saw a CS 130 in a Mustang at a car show that won best muscle car. I asked the guy why the GM alternator. He said his friend, who owned an alternator shop, wired his car and used that alternator.

Isaiah, I think you are a little over hyped on this thing, as I was when it all started for me. A one wire like has been suggested in your new thread, might be the easiest for you. Whichever you decide on it is still just an alternator and they all do the same job in charging the battery. we'll help when it comes to the nitty gritty of hooking it up.
I was told it is better to go with a 3 wire because 1 wire is more for tractor that doesn't have any other accessories, 3 wire charges better, I'm asking so many questions because this is going to be my daily driver for a long time and I want to hook it up the proper way and last me a long time.... The CS130 you mention is a 1 wire?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #52
vince1

No, it could be considered a 3 wire, just like the 10 si. Terminal 1 on the 10si corresponds to terminal L (lamp) on the CS130. Terminal 2 on the 10si corresponds to terminal S (sense) on the CS130. The newer one just has a better way of naming them.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #53
vince1

I think that was good advice the fellow gave suggesting to shop locally. Just ask for the alternator you want. Rockauto has been OK for me but there is always the possibility of getting the wrong part, and then the fun begins. That 89 Pontiac Safari reference I posted is from reading it on the Internet, and from more than one source. I have confidence in it but no guaranties.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote