The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #51
harpo231

Re: To buy or not to buy

[QUOTE=HO455;8025365]In my world 30k means the undercarriage looks as clean as the engine compartment.

Like mine ?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1503792932
Attached Images

harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #52
HO455
Post Whore

[quote=harpo231;8025759]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
In my world 30k means the undercarriage looks as clean as the engine compartment.

Like mine ?

Exactly!
The seller sounds like someone who wants to get back every cent they put into the truck. Even if it was ten years ago.

Now you have moved on. Post up your dream truck and let's see if the power of the forum can locate it for you.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:06 AM   #53
Puscifer

This truck is basically exactly what i want. My dad had one exactly like this when I was a kid. Everywhere we went people would comment on it. The only difference was that his had two tone orange/white with a white top, everything else was exactly the same 396, a/c, the wood grain on the dash, loaded. The only option that truck didn't have was the little bumperettes (Because he thought they were feminine). I figured I could easily make this truck two tone like my old mans. I live in western Colorado so the pickings are slim. The last one I looked at was a 68 base model with LOTS of rust and a bad purple paint job. Those two things can be dealt with, but the major deal breaker was that the truck had a sunroof installed VERY poorly. he wanted $12k!!! Maybe more people smoke in CO than I thought, i don't know.

I don't want a major project as i already have one of those thats killin me. My wifes 68 suburban that she wants me to magically make into something similar to HART_RODS beautiful burb. I am a great mechanic, but a body man I am not! I don't have the patience, or the time.

Any help from anyone locating a truck would be great but I'm in no hurry to buy anything. I watched this one on CL for over a year before i called. You guys are awesome, thanks for all of your help and advice.
Puscifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #54
Puscifer

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...-PICKUP-198079

$37k!!
Old 08-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #55
rob32472

If the truck were 100 per cent rust free it would be a good deal. You can not do a full restoration on one of these trucks for 30k. A good paint job will be 10-15k easy. Lets don't talk about rust repair on these old rusty cabs. Most of the guys here do all of the work themselves and it helps keep costs down, but I would be willing to bet even at that a full restoration would be in the twenty thousand range. Stuff is just expensive in this hobby. Keep looking and you will find your dream ride.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #56
72 tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puscifer View Post
Looks like a nice truck- the steering column would look a lot better if it was black, like it should be
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #57
tutone

On the other hand you need to think about this as well. You seem committed to finding a factory swb , loaded 396 auto, with NO rust and in pristine condition and no flaws. Those trucks arent on every street corner. In fact they are rare and people who own them know what they have and know what they will bring. The avg guy looks at 30k like it is a chunk if cash and a millionaire looks at it like its pocket change. You want a truck like that, then your competion to buy has stepped up a few notches. I personally didnt like the 72 door but the truk isnt that far off money wise to me. I hope you find your dream truck.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #58
Puscifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
On the other hand you need to think about this as well. You seem committed to finding a factory swb , loaded 396 auto, with NO rust and in pristine condition and no flaws. Those trucks arent on every street corner. In fact they are rare and people who own them know what they have and know what they will bring. The avg guy looks at 30k like it is a chunk if cash and a millionaire looks at it like its pocket change. You want a truck like that, then your competion to buy has stepped up a few notches. I personally didnt like the 72 door but the truk isnt that far off money wise to me. I hope you find your dream truck.

Don't get me wrong I am not completely against rust, it is just every truck that I have looked at is covered in it. This truck as far as I can find with my bondo gauge only has Bondo under the passenger door and on the front right fender.
things I could repair fairly easily and still be able to drive the truck while I am doing the repairs. Something that I've never had with my other hot rods which have immediately come into the shop and been stripped down to the frame. ( I am a horrible person and have yet to get one of them back together to where it is drivable) I have no issues buying the truck in this thread for the right price. Which is why I came to you fine gentlemen. If there was a consensus that this truck was worth $30,00 I would've paid up. Numbers matching is not that big of a deal to me, but the guy was advertising it as it was #s matching. I basically told him that if it had the SPID tag I would've brought him the money immediately, but when he tried to pass the truck off for something it was not,
It made me worry about what they were trying to hide.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #59
panhead59

You did the right thing. As many have said, 30K is a TOTALLY restored, perfect truck!!! No flaws at all. On the east coast, you can buy one of these for 20K all day long, in excellent condition. Just sayin'........ They just don't bring 30K unless of course they have a new LS motor, chrome everything, etc. Basically a show truck.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #60
leddzepp

If this truck were a "deal" it would already have sold and nobody would be posting a thread asking about it. Do you want a "deal" or a nice truck? It seems most people are more concerned about what someone else thinks than buying what they want, or they want to make a ton of money when they resell it. I wouldn't pay $30K for it because it isn't exactly what I want...not because I think it's a pile of junk. The combination you seek (swb, big block, etc, etc) is hard to find as original, most trucks have all that stuff added. If you do find all that on a spid, expect to pay top dollar for it...and it will be more than $30K if in restored condition. If you don't like this truck, don't buy it...but ask yourself how long have you been looking and how long are you going to keep looking? Nice ones are hard to come by and the prices aren't coming down in the meantime.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #61
tutone

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I am not completely against rust, it is just every truck that I have looked at is covered in it. This truck as far as I can find with my bondo gauge only has Bondo under the passenger door and on the front right fender.
things I could repair fairly easily and still be able to drive the truck while I am doing the repairs. Something that I've never had with my other hot rods which have immediately come into the shop and been stripped down to the frame. ( I am a horrible person and have yet to get one of them back together to where it is drivable) I have no issues buying the truck in this thread for the right price. Which is why I came to you fine gentlemen. If there was a consensus that this truck was worth $30,00 I would've paid up. Numbers matching is not that big of a deal to me, but the guy was advertising it as it was #s matching. I basically told him that if it had the SPID tag I would've brought him the money immediately, but when he tried to pass the truck off for something it was not,
It made me worry about what they were trying to hide.
Ok, I agree with you. I'm not one of the wealthy elite that goes to Barrett Jackson and sits in the front with a mixed drink and overbids on every car that I like. I , like you and most everybody here, work hard for my money and never seem to have enough time to enjoy the cars and trucks I do have. I looked at the truck you posted on CL and tried to be as objective as possible, But these guys are right about one thing. You can buy a nice truck for thousands less. May not be what you want. The 69 is what I would call a super nice driver, not quite a trailer queen, but not far from it if you wanted to pour some more in it. What would I do? If it was exactly what I wanted I would go to the man and take the truck to a reputable body man, and have him look at the trouble spots for a 67-72. Like I said , the passenger door didn't just fall off, so it was replaced for an accident or rust, one of the two. Numbers matching? Check the partial vin on the engine and see it it matches the partial vin on the frame and door post. That's about all you can ask for on a 48 year old truck. If it does, the rust isn't beyond your scope of repair and you can live with the lack of a factory spid, then its not a bad buy in my opinion. A BB factory short bed doesn't grow on trees. There are SEVERAL people on this forum who own them in like condition. It would be easy for me to value their truck, but just ask a few of them what they would want out of theirs 'if they were to sell. You might have a case of sticker shock. I fooled with 67-69 Camaros for 35 years until they did exactly what these trucks are doing. Going through the roof. Soon, just to own a beater will cost you.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #62
tutone

I meant to include this in my reply . It is the best deal that I have seen out there and I'm sure lots of folks will think its too high. Numbers matching? Probably not. Paint suit you? Probably not. But its a good indication of what is asked for a truck that somebody poured a lot of sweat into.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/6277629193.html
Old 08-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #63
Big Block
Big Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
I meant to include this in my reply . It is the best deal that I have seen out there and I'm sure lots of folks will think its too high. Numbers matching? Probably not. Paint suit you? Probably not. But its a good indication of what is asked for a truck that somebody poured a lot of sweat into.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/6277629193.html
Looks like a nice truck. It isn't hard to put $20,000 into anything you build these days.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #64
Boog
laying low

I do not usually comment on threads looking for price opinions, etc but I will on this one.
If you know a vehicle has been on the market for a long time there is always a really good reason for it. Really nice vehicles don't usually sit around for long.
There is plenty of help here as for the things to look for when evaluating a potential purchase.
Values vary by options, colors, even geographic location.
Limiting the search to very specific colors and options limits the search field.
I caution against buying with your heart.
I agree the first one is well over priced.
The last one posted in Missouri appears to be more reasonable.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #65
el_fantasma

Maybe this one for $10k less, but you would have to pay shipping. https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/c...281644755.html
Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #66
ho70

I felt the truck you were interested in the seller was misleading you and when you have questions about a 30k truck he stopped talking to you. I am sure there are honest sellers out there. Those trucks big block, swb are hard to find and dishonest sellers are cashing in on them. Keep looking.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #67
clay68c10

I'd pay 20+ for that blue Springfield truck all day long

Go buy that one!!

Or the red one, if you're ok with a SBC
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #68
cooperhw

Quote:
This truck is basically exactly what i want. My dad had one exactly like this when I was a kid. Everywhere we went people would comment on it. The only difference was that his had two tone orange/white with a white top, everything else was exactly the same 396, a/c, the wood grain on the dash, loaded. The only option that truck didn't have was the little bumperettes (Because he thought they were feminine). I figured I could easily make this truck two tone like my old mans. I live in western Colorado so the pickings are slim. The last one I looked at was a 68 base model with LOTS of rust and a bad purple paint job. Those two things can be dealt with, but the major deal breaker was that the truck had a sunroof installed VERY poorly. he wanted $12k!!! Maybe more people smoke in CO than I thought, i don't know.

I don't want a major project as i already have one of those thats killin me. My wifes 68 suburban that she wants me to magically make into something similar to HART_RODS beautiful burb. I am a great mechanic, but a body man I am not! I don't have the patience, or the time.

Any help from anyone locating a truck would be great but I'm in no hurry to buy anything. I watched this one on CL for over a year before i called. You guys are awesome, thanks for all of your help and advice.
You might want to try Search Tempest. Enter ur zip, C-10, cars/trucks for sale, "any" for the distance to search. It'll bring up ur area Craigslist, next town, county, state, etc. Circle keeps getting bigger and bigger. Last search in Hawaii. You'll see every C-10 4 sale in the U.S. might find exactly what you r looking for in some small obscure town u never heard of.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #69
Puscifer

Thanks, that's exactly what I've been doing for the past few days. I did find a truck that I'm looking at buying now. I'll keep you all informed. By the way the seller of the orange truck did call me back so I drove the four hours to look at it again. Truck ran and sounded good, then I climbed underneath and found that the frame has been cut and welded back together. Didn't even use a step cut or fish plates just a straight line. I also found a lot more corrosion I didn't see previously. So if anyone sees the truck on the Denver cl now you know it's not worth it. I'll try to post the pics I took when I get home.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #70
Puscifer

Of course you can see the better in person, but here are the welds right behind the cab.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #71
Puscifer

Here are some of the corrosion and the custom two piece upper bed moulding (Same on both sides).
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #72
Boog
laying low

Aren't you glad you took the time to go look it over more deeply now? It really is over priced and you can see why it has been for sale for so long. Good for you.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #73
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

If your still looking and want a short box this doesn't look to be a too bad nicely optioned original truck for the price and althought it says "Buy it Now" for 19,995 there is some wiggle room with the "Make Offer" option there. The truck is really a Cheyenne not a Cheyenne Super as the fender badging shows . Its about 900 miles ( using Denver as a starting point ) from you and I'm sure there is a knowledgeable board member in that area that would be willing to go check it out for you if you got serious on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Chevrol...1ZpzD5&vxp=mtr

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #74
Puscifer

Well gentlemen, I found the newest edition to the family. I paid a great price, (little over 10k less than the first) but had to drive over half way across the country to get it. No rust anywhere!! Here are a couple pics. I will start a build thread for it as I have a couple custom touches I want to put on it. Thanks to all who put in their two cents in this thread.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #75
Ad Cam

That is a nice looking truck. Congrats!
Ad Cam is offline   Reply With Quote