The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #51
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: What Urks you when looking at a used truck?

I know its been already mentioned on here but a 25/30k truck where the seller says the A/C is there and just needs a recharge, really your asking 25/30K for a nicely restored truck and don't want to spend a 100 to recharge the A/C. The other is its and original truck just needs a few things to get it back to normal and the underhood shot shows a chrome air cleaner ,yellow Accel wires and all the A/C stuff including the brackets missing.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #52
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I know its been already mentioned on here but a 25/30k truck where the seller says the A/C is there and just needs a recharge, really your asking 25/30K for a nicely restored truck and don't want to spend a 100 to recharge the A/C. The other is its and original truck just needs a few things to get it back to normal and the underhood shot shows a chrome air cleaner ,yellow Accel wires and all the A/C stuff including the brackets missing.
Exactly,

There is a big dollar truck here that is suppose to be "Professional Restoration" and it doesn't even have a gas pedal on it in the pictures....

I always love the ones that are "Rust Free" along with the guys who start acting like they know nothing after you start pointing out issues.

Lots of fraud in these trucks today and if you don't research you will get burned.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #53
pappy 2

What urks me when you are looking at my truck, and can't say enough about how nice it is, and ask what all was done to it, how much I spent getting it to look the way it is. I take the time to detail most of what I have done, the hours, the cost, ect. Then you ask if you could buy it for 1/4 what I have in it.
pappy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #54
cliff67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy 2 View Post
What urks me when you are looking at my truck, and can't say enough about how nice it is, and ask what all was done to it, how much I spent getting it to look the way it is. I take the time to detail most of what I have done, the hours, the cost, ect. Then you ask if you could buy it for 1/4 what I have in it.
I'm with Pappy on this one buyers are a joke sometimes and waste sellers time just as much
cliff67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #55
FL71C10

Re: What Urks you when looking at a used 67-72 truck?

Rusty, but i have all if the parts to fix it....
Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #56
mosel70

Not knowing what cam is in the engine or what the differential gear ratio is.
mosel70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #57
Speedracer39

This is what really irratated me when I was looking for a short box. The seller would post all the upgrades and cool stuff that they had done to the truck they were selling and never mentioned that the frame had been chopped from long to short until I would ask and verify. Thanks to the info from the people on this site I also learned to check for the stake in the middle of the bedside a true giveaway for the low budget chop. I’m no way against cutting the frame as long as it’s done correctly.
Speedracer39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:11 AM   #58
ShortHaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosel70 View Post
Not knowing what cam is in the engine or what the differential gear ratio is.
This... also when they tell you it runs great, and has “tons of power” and when you drive it, it’s garbage, barely idles, vacuum leaks like crazy, stumbles on acceleration...

And they try and tell you, “yeah thats just that sweet race motor I built for it”.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:43 AM   #59
Vortec69

I hate when the option list on the glove box door has been painted over or scraped off. Last one I bought had been painted. Got lucky when I pulled out the seat and the build sheet was in the seat frame to confirm what it was. Another I have came with a chrome box door. Both trucks where pretty decent but for some reason that sticker is one of the first things I look for.

69 CST20
70 CST10 SWB
Vortec69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:47 AM   #60
Myoldtruck

Rare, one of a kind, limited edition, very few were made this way, only one I know of, Ive only seen one other that came thru with this option, this was a one year option only.

They all pull to the right when you use the brakes.

My buddy had the same truck that came that thru with a experimental carburetor that got 25mpg, the factory made him give back the carb. B.S...

"Back in the day I had one with a corvette Lt1 that would pull the wheels of the ground". B.S...

"I was clocked in this truck doing 140mph back in the 70's". B.S....
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #61
mike16

I hate the e bay adds where the seller describes the history of General Motors rather than describe the truck itself. Or spending all that effort telling you what you ought to do with the truck. Usually a red flag...

or those 100.000 dollar restorations. Why not charge 100,004.99 and buy some correct hose clamps... or save 4.99 by not spray bombing the whole drive train except for the chromed diff cover.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #62
jmking9

[QUOTE=GASoline71;8309018]Any seller that says... "Short Wide"

Why does "short wide" bother you? Just curious
Old 08-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #63
mike16

[quote=jmking9;8311196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Any seller that says... "Short Wide"

Because we ought never to talk about religion, politics or other peoples wives.

Last edited by mike16; 08-02-2018 at 08:09 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #64
Coley

Wink Re: What Urks you when looking at a used 67-72 truck?

Well, whether the owner likes it or not...how much they have invested in the truck is largely irrelevant.
If you have 1284 hrs polishing bolt heads...you own that, not the buyer....lol.

The market decides what its worth...not the seller. Supply and demand...it always works.

On top of that....where was this money spent and on what?....$3500 stereo?....$3000 worth of rims and tires?....for me I would say take those off the vehicle and drop the price by $6500 ....I'll bring my own wheels...lol.

What some owners want to get paid for often does not have any linkage to the market or truck value. Sometimes it was just their personal choice within their own build....but that is good to remember what will pay you back...and obviously what won't, so be prepared to eat those costs.

On the flipside if you don't get paid what you think its worth...then hang on to it.

My opinion is these trucks can be had in very nice condition in the $7500-$12,500 range all day long so I work from there.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #65
1972RedNeck

[quote=mike16;8314477]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post

I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #66
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post

I was followed home from Walmart one day. The guy said he followed me cause he wanted to know if I would sell my truck. I explained that it wasn’t for sale, but everything has a price. I started showing him the work i had done. I pooped the hood and showed him my LS swap. I did a clean job. The guy looked at me and said “oh, I thought maybe it had a 6 in it”. Then he said “well, I’d have you take all this out”. I laughed at him and closed the hood. It’s not for sale. The guy was a cheap ass and wanted something for free. This is not a cheap hobby. It cost money. What someone wants for their truck shouldn’t irk you. Go find one you like and can afford and buy it! It’s that simple. If you don’t like the truck or what they want, guess what? You don’t have to buy it. This whole thread is rediculous. This is community aimed at helping one another and were in here whining like a bunch kids.
Funny story, I had a 1990 Toyota pickup that was in a fender bender so I took off the damaged grill and hood. Next day a car going opposite way locks his brakes, makes illegal u turn, passes other cars dangerously to catch up with me and ask if I’d sell it. He obviously thought he could get it for cheap and the look of disappointment after my refusal to sell and anger in himself for risking his and others lives to catch me was priceless.

I won’t return home if I see someone following me, especially if I’m driving a Classic. Call me paranoid but I’d rather them not know where the vehicle is stored. In my experience people who randomly come up to you while driving a classic have no intention of buying, let alone buying what you’re driving. They either don’t have the $, don’t have the space, don’t have their spouses approval, don’t know cars, or just don’t have a clue in general. These people just want to talk and a Classic seems like something cool to talk about.

There are lots of ups and downs in this hobby. Is it petty to talk about some of the downs, maybe some of the complaints are petty. But you know the old saying about opinions and whatever the plural is for anus. You’re right, this is a community, a community that helps and discusses things so others can become more knowledgeable. Maybe some of this discussion is helping the less knowledgeable while providing an outlet to vent.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #67
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
OH CRY ME A RIVER ! None of them are over priced if they are restored correctly , If you can only afford junk ...Well that's what you'll get ...JUNK . Just because you can't afford to pay for it doesn't mean it's over priced ,It means you want more than your wallet can afford . They are 50 years old you want them cheap ? You better be able to build one yourself or break out your wallet ! I'm so sick of hearing OH they cost to much ! Well You buy everything to rebuild one or a dozen and see what they really cost. Go buy a Kia and quit complaining ! ...
Dang...you ARE grumpy!

And BTW I agree with you!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #68
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Wiring
Definitely! Before I bought my truck pretty much all the ones I looked at had red wires taped into green wires taped into blue wires etc. Horrifying.

That and crappily replaced rocker panels...and having the third, fourth, or whatever engine in the truck...and sellers that believe that since their truck is old then it’s worth a lot of money (condition of the truck is a minor consideration to them).
Old 08-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #69
jabborabbo

Quote:
Any seller that says... "Short Wide" or starts quoting Blue Book or NADA values... I'm out.

Also... "numbers matching" adds no value to a truck.

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post

Old 08-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #70
dirtyjim

the thing that always gets me when I go look at a truck or really any vehicle is the owner never wants to include an all expense paid trip to the strip club with the purchase of the vehicle. if you want to get 3 grand for a $500 parts truck that's the only way you'll get it from me
Old 08-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #71
Grandview

I don't like to see where someone has cut the dash to install a CD player or modern stereo, not a big fan of short bed conversions but I have owned one. Don't care for the newer beds put on these trucks. I seen a nicely restored 71 step side a while back a guy had installed a sunroof.... ruined it for me but hey if its what he likes then go for it we don't build these so other folks will like em
Grandview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #72
dave`12

Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, the before and after pics of my truck will say it all.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #73
rjs53

What Urks me? A lot.... but I usually get past it
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #74
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Flippers: trying to turn a double buck on a truck they recently purchased to sale at a swap meet or car show. You can pick'em out a mile away with the shinny single stage paint job and fresh over spray on the window gaskets, tires etc... Usually I will engage them in casual conversation, then start gracefully dinging there BS after we start talking about their all "original survivor" , which is over priced about 5 to 10K. My wife just kind of moves back and laughs. But, I can pick out the true survivors, they're still out there.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #75
indymachinist

Heres a fun thought for all of you saying the buyer decides the price...

If you decide the price is lower than the seller takes, you leave with nothing.

Fact of the matter is the seller decides what he will take for the item he is selling. You don't like it? Take a walk.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote