The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Yeah, they do look alike. But it doesn't have the deluxe cab trim yours did. The seat did look just like yours.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Number 9

Dan, what is your tire size and wheel width? Thanks,Art
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

235/75x15 Hankooks bought virtually new as takeoffs from an F150 for $60. STOLE the vintage 15x7 Torq Thrust knockoffs from Craigslist for only $150 including polished aluminum center caps.

I wanted 70 series or even 60 series but these were SO cheap I couldn't pass them up. And they kinda give the truck a cartoonish "Roger Rabbit" car look!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Number 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
235/75x15 Hankooks bought virtually new as takeoffs from an F150 for $60. STOLE the vintage 15x7 Torq Thrust knockoffs from Craigslist for only $150 including polished aluminum center caps.

I wanted 70 series or even 60 series but these were SO cheap I couldn't pass them up. And they kinda give the truck a cartoonish "Roger Rabbit" car look!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks dan. That is the same size I just got and do not have my front end on. Was concerned they would be to to big but yours look fine. Mine are on 9" daisy's.
I have 255x70's on 9" rims on the back.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Wow, 9's fit in back w/o rubbing? Did you have to order special back spacing? Maybe I should ask what rearend you've got? Mines a 10 bolt but I don't know out of what.

A buddy of mine has offered me a set of 15x8 Rally's with rings & caps cheap. I want them but I'm afraid they'll be too big.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Number 9

Quote:
Wow, 9's fit in back w/o rubbing? Did you have to order special back spacing? Maybe I should ask what rearend you've got? Mines a 10 bolt but I don't know out of what.

A buddy of mine has offered me a set of 15x8 Rally's with rings & caps cheap. I want them but I'm afraid they'll be too big.
Posted via Mobile Device
They rub. I still haven't had the truck on the road. The last owner flattened the inside lip of the rear fenders so it didn't rub there but they did rub a bit on the bed side. It also has a dana 60 from a f--d with the 5 on 5 1/2 " lug pattern so the width is not the same. It is within a inch or less. They are old tires on the rear so I will go smaller by one size when I change them. I have two 5 1/2" lug pattern on back and 4 3/4" on front so I need two spares. I hope my fronts don't rub when fenders on. I like your old americans.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so I visited The Truck Shop in Orange, CA today. Planned to buy the V8 fender emblems for my truck but they were outta stock - natch!

But being the chrome whore I am I couldn't go home without SOMETHING shiny, so I bought replacement chrome wiper bezels. Mine are totally cloudy and rust pecked. While I was there I went ahead and bought the rear big window rubber as mine is hard as a rock and cracked, chunks missing, etc. ALMOST bought the "chrome" lock strip for it, but I don't have the stainless trim on the windshield and I want the front & back to match. I keep thinking about whether I want the deluxe trim around the windows? Seems like even for me that trim AND the windshield/back window trim would be gaudy.

But I DID forget to buy the CHROME bench seat handle! lol

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks, but they're not really Americans. No idea WHAT they really are.

Any chance you'll swap rear ends to get matching lug pattern AND narrow up a bit?

Two spares? UGH! I'd carry a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat! I'm carrying NO spare but I've got a AAA card!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Number 9

Quote:
Thanks, but they're not really Americans. No idea WHAT they really are.

Any chance you'll swap rear ends to get matching lug pattern AND narrow up a bit?

Two spares? UGH! I'd carry a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat! I'm carrying NO spare but I've got a AAA card!
It is 3/4" narrower then the stock one so that is fine and also bullet proof. The wheels are all american s200's and look right.I may at some time re drill the axles to 4 3/4" as I have the extra wheels but not high on my list. I wont carry
a spare unless I go on a long drive.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, I guess I misunderstood and though the rearend was too wide. Sounds like your tires are the culprits. You think one size smaller will be enough for cornering with radials?

255's down to 245's is only going from 10.1" wide to 9.7". A little over 3/8". Won't the sidewalls on radials flex that much?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Number 9

Quote:
Ok, I guess I misunderstood and though the rearend was too wide. Sounds like your tires are the culprits. You think one size smaller will be enough for cornering with radials?

255's down to 245's is only going from 10.1" wide to 9.7". A little over 3/8". Won't the sidewalls on radials flex that much?
It should handle like a slot car. 78 camaro front frame clip with sway bar. I am going to run the 255's for a while to figure it out. They didn't rub in a straight line and I will do what I have to to make it work. Tub it a bit if needed. The outsides never hit. The flex is usually at the bottom.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about THESE bending tools:

Amazon.com: Eastwood Brake Line Tubing Bender and... Amazon.com: Eastwood Brake Line Tubing Bender and...

...cause I JUST ordered them! Hope I won't regret the expense. There were cheaper ones, but...

Old 08-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
G&R's57GMC

Quote:

Amazon.com: Eastwood Brake Line Tubing Bender and Forming Pliers Kit: Automotive

...cause I JUST ordered them! Hope I won't regret the expense. There were cheaper ones, but...
I've got those too. They're the way to go.

Also nice Bling you scored.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Denee007

Hi Dan! Have you had a chance to use this Eastwood bending tool? I have mixed emotions on it. The most irritating part of this tubing bender (pliers type), the rubber handles slip and move. As for doing what they're designed for, tight turns, I give a mediocre score.

Quote:

Amazon.com: Eastwood Brake Line Tubing Bender and Forming Pliers Kit: Automotive

Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Baldeagle SR

I got to order 2 of those mirrors for mine. My pass door doesn't have the holes or the plate inside the door for the mirror. Who did you get your mirrors from? Thanks
Rich
my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576185
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle SR View Post
I got to order 2 of those mirrors for mine. My pass door doesn't have the holes or the plate inside the door for the mirror. Who did you get your mirrors from? Thanks
Rich
my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576185
Whoops, you must have posted as I was writing that last post. The mirrors came from The Truck Shop in Orange, CA. I guess I was lucky because my truck DID have the threaded plate inside it. I used tiny chrome carriage bolts from OSH because I didn't want a Phillips head showing.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
LDO

Dan, where did you pick up the chrome letters for the tailgate? That looks sweet.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Same-same, The Truck Shop in Orange. I THINK it's actually called The Car and Truck Shop.

It's surprising how many people really like those. I went to buy white or off white but it turned out they don't carry off white and were out of stock on white. The had black and the chrome ones....so 'ya know!

Spent some time today TRYING to polish the lips on my old Torq-Thrust wannabe's. Only partly successful. The previous owner told me he coated them with something. They were/are uniformly dull. I don't mind on the spokes but the lip has always bothered me.

I did this by putting the truck on jack stands and running it in gear - yes, dangerous. Turned out there was a thick film of SOME thing on it. It was so thick I started out sanding with emery cloth but that wasn't getting it so I shut it off to find I'd exposed an edge of the film. I used a combo of a carpet knife and a box knife while running to sort of "cut" the film off. Some of it came off in 3/4" x 5" or 6" long strips!

Anyway, it's not (yet) to my satisfaction but I did polish this one up. I really only want a machine finish or a little shinier. It's almost there but not quite uniform enough yet.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Russ,

Nah, "piece of cake"....once I figured out how to do it, lol.

I have a 48" aluminum straight edge I held up to where I wanted the top of the letters.
I balanced one of those little bullet levels on it. Then I very lightly drew a sharp pencil line.

When I applied the letters I just eye-balled the side to side spaces, then I JUST covered the pencil line.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Hi Russ,

Nah, "piece of cake"....once I figured out how to do it, lol.

I have a 48" aluminum straight edge I held up to where I wanted the top of the letters.
I balanced one of those little bullet levels on it. Then I very lightly drew a sharp pencil line.

When I applied the letters I just eye-balled the side to side spaces, then I JUST covered the pencil line.
Thanks Dan. I was wondering if you had drawn a reference line like that or if you had just centered the letters on the raised part of the tailgate. I like the pencil line idea.

The wheels look good.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
Kim57

The rims are going to look nice when done.
Kim
Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #22
Daze57

wheels look good !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
Baldeagle SR

like the wheels , The old school look.
Rich
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #25
Dan in Pasadena

Received these today in the mail:

Bought from a guy in Massachusetts for $100. They're aren't truly "perfect" - you can see the minor pitting in the background area but they are very, very nice for being 60 years old. They're SO good compared to mine that I'm not sure I'm going to paint the background white as it is supposed to be.

Opinions on leaving them all chrome? I'd hate to have to sand that area but if I did want to, how to paint it and have it not look amateur-ish?