The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #726
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Not yet. Just got home from vacation in Idaho. I should be getting back on this very soon.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #727
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

All I did today was scrape down and sand the runs in my botched paint job. And I think I have a plan for the respray now, but I'm going to use a white sealer to bring out more of the orange tones in the paint. The wife likes the color over the biege primer better than over the gray. Just need to return and swap sealers, scuff the rest of the area to be resprayed and try again.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #728
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I finally got out and resprayed my paint. This morning I wet sanded most of my first paint job with some 400 grit. Then used a scuff pad over everything. This gave me a good smooth base to start over with. I retaped everything, this time I'm not painting the firewall though, it was good enough. Then sprayed white sealer (looks kinda grey here, but it's bright white). Just a few sentences but about 4 hours of work.

The sealer works great. I used my primer gun to spray it because it's fairly thick. As advertised it covers real good. Wait 20-30 minutes, then start on the paint. This time I used no reducer and used my new devilbiss gun. Everything went pretty smooth. Only 2 problems. One is the tip of the gun clogged for just a second and it sprayed a few small droplets in the door jamb. The other was that I bumped the air hose on a rocker on my last coat of paint. Kind of a bummer but then I realized its an easy fix and in an area that can be resprayed with the outside of the body. The droplets ended up blending in and I can barely see them even knowing where to look.

I sprayed 2 coats of high solids clear over all of it and 3 coats over the dash and front of the windshield frame and the rockers (then ran out).

So overall I'm real happy with it and it seems I've learned my lessons, at least until the next complications. As far as I can tell I had no runs.

Pics!

Hose rub (can barely see it here but its there)...

Out in the sun (it really pops in the sun, unbelievable really)...
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #729
71swb4x4

Wow Mike, that looks really good!! What does your daughter think? I am sure she is chomping at the bit to get it done.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #730
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Everyone (wife and kids) loves the color. I just didn't have the drive to work on this one this summer enough to really get it on the road. There is still so much to do that she probably won't get to take it for a ride until she comes home from school this fall. And thats a big maybe. I need to get busy on the doors and fenders.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #731
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Huge update. Got half the dash back together...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #732
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Ok, so not that huge. This ones a little bigger. I pulled out a fender to get ready to bolt on. My future plans call for a fabbed front bumper. I have a couple different ideas of what I want, but they all call for tucking under the fender, which means the front cup needs to go.

My cut line matches where the grill bottom is.

Then I traced a pattern on some paper after fitting the fender up to make sure I would have the clearance around the corner of the radiator support.

Got that cut out of some scrap steel and fit into place.

Did some welding...

Cleaned it up a bit...

Filled some holes I don't need.

And this fender just needs some minor body work, cleaning and its ready for paint.

The cup on this fender was banged up a bit, the inner sheetmetal brace was rusted, so this mod saved me the work in repairing it.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #733
Pife

The paint looks great. I didn't like your paint choice in the first pictures that you posted but now I love it. My wife has seen it and thinks we need to paint ours sparkly. Keep up the great work.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #734
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Great idea on the fender mod.
Posted via Mobile Device

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #735
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glovebox looks great!

Looking forward to seeing this bumper you create...nice work on the fender.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #736
Low Elco

Looks fantastic! I wish I had your kind of dedication!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #737
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
The paint looks great. I didn't like your paint choice in the first pictures that you posted but now I love it. My wife has seen it and thinks we need to paint ours sparkly. Keep up the great work.
Its not for everyone, but it's the look I'm going for right now. I always try to get a look that fits the vehicle but you don't see everyday. Bright gaudy colors, especially gold makes me think 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
Great idea on the fender mod.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not exactly my idea. I've seen it done before and figured why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Glovebox looks great!

Looking forward to seeing this bumper you create...nice work on the fender.
Right now I have 2 completely different ideas and eventually I'll have to build one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks fantastic! I wish I had your kind of dedication!
Posted via Mobile Device
What kind of dedication is it that I have?

Building things and working with my hands makes me happy. Learning to do new things gives me a sense of accomplishment. I'm just feeding my wants and needs. I don't think of myself as dedicated to the projects. I get a lot of positives from doing it. Getting that paint to lay down nice made my week.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #738
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I have to work saturday so today I'm goofing off. In the garage. I started cleaning up the pass door. It's in real nice shape.

Before, showing the surface rust...

Door parts, glass, etc...

The vent window is pretty rough, rubber is cracked, might need to see if I have a better one. I stripped the rust and paint off the bottom of the door and up where the mirror mounts and on the top part of the window frame. Basically anywhere I saw peeling paint or surface rust peaking through...

No surprises found, which is a nice change of pace. This side fender and door are a piece of cake to do body work on. I just need to do some sanding and scuffing, spray some primer, a little more sanding and I can get the inside panels painted and mounted on the jimmy. Maybe even by this weekend if I'm lucky. Then I'll fire it up and get it turned around to do the driver side.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #739
swyfor5

Looking real good! Going to do same type front fender fang mod!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #740
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Looking real good! Going to do same type front fender fang mod!
Thanks, it was fairly easy to do.

I had to work this morning, so I didn't get as far along as I wanted, but I did get something done. I wetsanded and scuffed the pass door inside and out. I also welded up some extra holes that were drilled for some kind of mirror. I got the outside sprayed with some epoxy primer. I'll let that cure overnight, then spray the inside and prep it for paint in the morning. I might tackle the fender too so I can spray paint on both of them together and be able to get both back on the truck. It takes a hour or 2 to clean, sand, clean, etc to prep for the primer. Then probably another couple hours for paint prep per panel.

Anyway, here's a pic of a grey door.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #741
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today was productive, but everything always seems to take longer than I figured. Yesterday I just got the outside of the door in primer. Today I wanted to get the primer done at a minimum and possibly some paint. I got the minimum done.

The fender needed sanding and scuffing inside and out. I wire wheeled the rusty spots. Got it all cleaned up and ready to get primer. A couple hours of work there at least.

Then realized my door hinges were a mess. They got stripped with the wire wheel and cleaned up. Then I noticed the top hinge had some damage to those 2 slide plates that are supposed to work like a stop. The plates were torn about 2/3 of the way through. Not wanting to risk my door flying open and hitting the fender or something later on, I pulled one out of the parts stash that seemed tight. It had a newer pin in it and was in good shape. So, I cleaned that up and thought, "ok, I should be about ready to spray.

Then remembered that the bolts need to be cleaned up and sprayed too so I don't have stupid looking bolts holding my nice fresh painted parts together. 12 door hinge bolts and the 2 fender bolts where it attaches at the cowl, the rest are black or hidden. So some more time was spent with the wire wheel.

Finally ready to spray and it went well. I used up the rest of the epoxy primer I had and it was just enough for the job. The inside of the fender (outside was done first so I could flip it over)

Inside of door

Hinges and bolts

After this I mixed up a batch of 2k high build primer to spray the areas that will be normally visible on the door and top inner part of the fender ( I had enough to do 1 coat on the entire inside so I can sand it a bit and paint it also). That leaves me at the point where I need to do some more sanding, a little filler work on the lower part of the door where it got dinged up a bit, then I can paint the insides and they will be ready to mount. I'd like to do it tomorrow, but after spending so much time out in the garage lately I'll have to see what my better half has planned first.

Enjoy the weekend everybody! It's not over yet!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #742
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good! I know what you mean...some days you have plans to do certain projects and only get through 1/2 of them...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #743
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got some painting done today. I think it turned out pretty good. No obvious problems I could spot.

Started out with some filling and sanding. The fender was fine as is. The door needed some dings filled.

Then I papered over the outside...

Sanded and ready for paint...

Wiped it all down with wax/grease remover and sprayed the white sealer...

Then mixed some paint and got it sprayed with some color...

Didn't forget the hinges and bolts this time either...

Sometime in the next day or 2 I'll mount these parts up. Yesterday I realized my rad support is looking kinda rough, so I'll try and clean that up and spray bomb it to at least make it presentable for the nice shiny painted bits mounted to it. There is a bit of rust below the battery tray. Trying to decide if I should fix it or ignore it.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #744
71swb4x4

Looking very good Mike!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #745
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Looking very good Mike!
Thank you. It feels good being able to do this with some measure of confidence.

Here's a few more pics. Just showing the panels in place. They are hung, but barely and that door is so far out of adjustment it won't even close. Just 2 bolts holding the fender on. I need to remove that to adjust the door but didn't want it sitting on the floor.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #746
71swb4x4

Why didn't you paint the kickpanels? Do you have speaker pods to cover them?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #747
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Its going to be covered in color matching bed liner with the floor and bed area. I might change my mind on the kick panels though and paint them. We'll see how I feel when the time comes.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #748
Low Elco

This is gonna be awesome! Next summer cruising should be sweet!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #749
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Just din't let the overspray get that sweet c-10.
Posted via Mobile Device

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #750
PD1292

WOW!!! looks great!. Really motivating.
Keep it up, and more pics..
PD1292 is offline   Reply With Quote