The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
gmcdeadhead

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

taped the template to the frame, and started to drill. then installed gear box , just left it loose, need to get new rag joint and reconnect steering shaft. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
VonDog

Installed my manual steering box that I just had rebuilt by Benchworks. They did an awesome job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Look what the man in Brown dropped off to me today.. They will be installed in a week or so.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
robber grin

Man-o-man Steve your truck looks bad to the bone setting there!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robber grin View Post
Man-o-man Steve your truck looks bad to the bone setting there!
Thanks!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
ratrod11

A big day... finally arranged transportation to haul my project the 30 miles to my house... a quick overall pressure wash to get years of farm dust and dirt off of everything... got the trash out of the cab and vacuumed it as well. Bonus find! A brand new set of AC Delco spark plugs new in the box for the 283!

Just a heads up for those who may be interested... my plans do not include the long bed frame or 4x4 components, I will alert you all when I get the truck apart!
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
ratrod11

A special thanks to Jack Quesenberry for the transport!
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
1964Chevy

Good luck RatRod11. Keep the pictures coming and wecome to the board.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
endlessearth

I bought a dent puller from Northern Tool today. Tomorrow I am going to try and remove most of the dent from each of the (lower parts of the) doors on my truck. Last in is first out and work around the dent is what I have been told by those who know more than me...wait, that is all of you.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
jtrichard

ratrod if you are not using the frame and 4x4 gear what are your plans for what you are using? (boy that truck has a LOT of patina LOL and less sheet metal) welcome aboard!! PS if you don't use the mirrors keep me in mind thanks Richard.... if it wasn't so far away i would love the frame and gear

Last edited by jtrichard; 08-27-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessearth View Post
I bought a dent puller from Northern Tool today. Tomorrow I am going to try and remove most of the dent from each of the (lower parts of the) doors on my truck. Last in is first out and work around the dent is what I have been told by those who know more than me...wait, that is all of you.
Don't forget to make another useful dent puller for flat panels; was taught to me by an old-timer body man. Drill a hole, approx. 3/8-inch, in center of a 12-inch X 2-inch piece of flat steel(1/4-inch or a tad thicker) about halfway the length. Drill a small "pull-hole" into dent. Screw a metal screw into this dent-hole. Place hole of flat steel over the screw with length of flat steel flush against the body. Using a claw hammer, pull gently until dent hits the flat steel. Drill and pull successive holes as needed. It's hard to pull the dent too far, this way.
HTH,
Sam
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
ACK

Saturday's goal was getting the weather stripping around the drivers side door installed. When I lifted the carpet, I found so much rust on the floor pan that the game plan changed. I hit the rust with a grinder and a wire brush, next came the rust converter. Sunday I spent priming and painting, today the weather stripping went in. Both doors are now done! Also installed a thermal sender for the dummy lights, now I have a separate temp gauge and the stock lights, too.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
ratrod11

Thanks 1964Chevy and jtrichard! Seems to be a great bunch of guys on here! JT, if you know any truckers who come to the east coast, maybe you can get one to deadhead the frame back to you. I have a 79 Chevy shortbed frame lined up that has already be redone, including 3 inch dropped spindles! No plans for the mirrors, like the rest of the truck, they're a little rough too. (patina! LOL!) We'll see what we can work out
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
1964Chevy

Spent half a day at discount tire trying to find rims for my 6 lug pickup.
Vintiques is 6 weeks out. and dt do not have simple steel wheels.
I want to run in the Good Guys rally race Oct 4-6th here in Texas and want to lower my pickup, install all new hardware up front, but can't start until I find rims and tires......
But I'll tell you what, if that is my biggest concern in life, well then, life is pretty good.

Last edited by 1964Chevy; 08-27-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: picture no show
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
gimmy 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Chevy View Post
Spent half a day at discount tire trying to find rims for my 6 lug pickup.
Vintiques is 6 weeks out. and dt do not have simple steel wheels.
I want to run in the Good Guys rally race Oct 4-6th here in Texas and want to lower my pickup, install all new hardware up front, but can't start until I find rims and tires......
But I'll tell you what, if that is my biggest concern in life, well then, life is pretty good.
try summit they carry wheel vintiques
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
robber grin

Hey ratrod11 WELCOME aboard and another 62 to boot - can't beat that.

Too tired to get too serious today so I ran to my favorite parts store and picked up the intermediate cable and routed my e-brake cables which is a bit snug but should be okay.

I changed all the 62 stuff out for 66-68 front and rears & drilled the trailing arms for LMC cable brackets.

I pulled some e-brake hooks and hardware out of my spare parts, spotted and then drilled the frame and routed the cables through a "special bracket" I made up from an old factory exhaust hanger, a old cab mount washer, and a 3/8" bolt.

It anchors the front cable inside the DS boxed frame securely ("like" the original) only there are differences in the conduit length and clamping methods from 62 to 66 sooo...

this bracket bolts where the 62's frame clamp bolted and extends forward into the boxed area to allow the 66 cable to snap into the flat washer much like it does on the ds frame rail. No drilling of the frame required. Used a piece of 3/8" fuel line to insulate the 66 front cable where it passes into the boxed frame just aft of the firewall.

Routed the intermediate through the slots that formerly held the bars at the center of the frame and it looks nice tucked up in the frame.

After I was done with that I decided to mount up a GMC grill I had for some years now without the letters I gave to my buddy for his GMC. So I welded a couple of fender washers onto the letter bar and made some spacers to mount a 58-59 Apache hood badge to see how it might look.

I'm not sold on it yet but I'll give it some time... Let me know what you think.

rg
Attached Images

Last edited by robber grin; 08-27-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Speling
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Hey robber grin,
I like what you've done with the GMC grill and the early Chev badge. It looks different but that's what this is all about. Make it like you like it.
I notice you have a "62" only grill surround/mount with the shallow frame horn cutouts. What is it about the "62" frames that makes this work? I have tried to use one on my "64" but the frame horns hit the sheet metal. All other years are much more open/deeper than the "62". Thanks and nice truck.

64 Chevy Short Step LS
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
iceship

I snuck out and got some door panels at the junkyard and put them in storage... So the wife wouldn't see them. .. some time you just have to hide the parts...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
robber grin

Bench bled the master cylinder and bolted it on the booster and cleaned up another throttle and detent cable bracket I found in our parts. Cleaned all the bolts to put the front sheet metal back together and etched them.

rg
Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
tincan1966

Cut ground and chiseled 22 welds the previous owner decided needed to be there to hold the bed on after doing a steel floor conversion. Apparently he was allergic to bolts! LOL. And did not own a square. bed was off to drivers' side about 1 1/2" and 1" too high in the back.
Anyway, bed is off, Suburban tank w/ EFI in tank pump is ready to install tomorrow.
yesterday, installed the alarm and worked on fabbing up power door locks. Not satisfied with the result, but will get it worked out.
other than that, we've just been enjoying it!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
rickywideglide

installed harley halogen headlamp looks real good alot brighter ,i will try to post pics
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #22
robber grin

Dollied some dings out of the inner fenders and touched up the primer before putting the driver's side inner on the truck. Rubs on the steering shaft coupler so I have to figure that out yet... could be it needs the firewall tab bolted up to get straight for clearance sake.

Flared and routed the brake lines down to the proportioning valve - done with tubing for now and ready to bleed brakes.

rg & ray~ray
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywideglide View Post
installed harley halogen headlamp looks real good alot brighter ,i will try to post pics
Still no pics Ricky? I'd like to see this!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Adjusted the rocker arms and drove my truck today. Found some bad lifters and lobes on the old tired cam. Still does great at 4300 rpm! Love cruising at 2500 rpm I reckon that's about 45-50. Good-ol-chevy!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
gmcdeadhead

yep , 292 motor. just got done for the night . put new motor mounts on right after work. gonna hit it hard tomorow. put brakes back on, steering box and shaft back together , power steering and hydro boost brakes. we'll see how far i get on it tommorow.
Closed Thread