The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #751
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Good idea leaving the windshield to the pros...I've heard too many stories of guys breaking 1-2 before ending up paying someone anyways

Cruise....did you say cruise? How sweet will that be???
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #752
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Good idea leaving the windshield to the pros...I've heard too many stories of guys breaking 1-2 before ending up paying someone anyways

Cruise....did you say cruise? How sweet will that be???
That's right. Even the body shop that painted it wasn't interested in doing the windshield install. They were relieved I didn't ask. I wonder if I can talk the installer into staying to help with the Jimmy windshield?

The cruise, aka the shakedown run, will be sweeter than honey on a caramel roll. I already know it's drivable and will idle for quite awhile without overheating. The brakes work and I'm pretty sure the lights will be good. I'm not so sure about the charging system though. I switched to an internally regulated alternator, converted the wiring myself, and have a used alternator from an unknown car. I had it tested before install, but who knows if everything else is right. I plan on packing my tool kit, jumper cables, fluids, some of the most common sized bolts, fuses, etc. and hope for the best. If I'm comfortable with it over the weekend I'll try and enter it in the show/swap at St Peter for the following weekend.

Didn't get much time today, but I got the seat belts ready to bolt in. They were in pretty bad shape. I cleaned the belts up and think they came out nice. I'll see in the morning after they dry. One of thwe retractors was jammed, so I pulled it apart, cleaned it up, reassembled and it should be good now. The retractor covers were all bent out of shape, but a heat gun works wonders for working the kinks out of the plastic. Really easy, just warm up the area you want to straighten (or bend) and when it gets soft and pliable, just move it around to how you want it and then cool it with a damp rag. I use a putty knife or flat edge of a screw driver or spatula to use as a flat then just press the rag against it to hold it flat while it cools. Another tip is that when you push the cover over the retractor and it doesn't seem to want to fit right, just get it on as best you can, then use the heat gun again and finish the fit with it warmed up, then it will cool into the right shape over the retractor.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of how they turned out. The male ends for the buckles are rusted on mine. I'm going to see if I can get someone to stich new buckle tabs into them later. For now I just need them clean and functional and legal.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #753
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Pics...These started out as stained, oversprayed, deformed, and jammed.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #754
VA72C10
VA72C10

Those look very good! Nice work!!!

By the way....did you lock the thread so only you and I can post?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #755
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Those look very good! Nice work!!!

By the way....did you lock the thread so only you and I can post?
Thanks! C'mon, diesel posts also, and some others. But I know I can always count on you for a or a . I know people are looking though, it's getting up there for views.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #756
VA72C10
VA72C10

Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #757
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I'm here too. The details you accomplish just leave me speechless.

Great work.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #758
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I'm here too. The details you accomplish just leave me speechless.

Great work.
Yes you are and I appreciate the feed back. I'm pretty excited to get the glass in today. I might just bolt the license plates on and see where I end up this afternoon.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #759
Steve Carda

Just read your tread....wow. You are inspiring. My 68 has been in process, ground up for 15 years and not worked on in 10.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #760
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carda View Post
Just read your tread....wow. You are inspiring. My 68 has been in process, ground up for 15 years and not worked on in 10.
Thanks for checking it out. I'm in Sleepy Eye btw. Time to resurect the build after a 10 year break.

Need any parts? I have a 68 front clip I'm selling on the parts board and a 2wd blazer project I'm parting out.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #761
Steve Carda

I have all parts. Frame is done.I rebuilt big block, trany, transfer case. brakes etc. Cab blasted new floor and corners and in primer. I just lost time with the kids and life. Kids grown and gone and other projects getting completed. I've gotten the spark to start again and your tread has helped start interst again. You have done many wonderful thiings!!! Should get togther some time I'd like to see in person.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #762
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Anytime.

Windshield went in this afternoon, but may just be temporary. It's not fitting well in the corners. We're going to let it settle for now and if it doesn't pull in they might have to try with another windshield. Along the top edge you can see waves in the glass and I don't think the sides are curved back enough.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #763
67cheby
67cheby

just out of curiosity, on cost of a windshield, did you go with the top of the line model or ?? i work at a carlot and the guy that does our windshields has about 3 diff levels of each glass..just wondering when i get to that point which one i should go with !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #764
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
just out of curiosity, on cost of a windshield, did you go with the top of the line model or ?? i work at a carlot and the guy that does our windshields has about 3 diff levels of each glass..just wondering when i get to that point which one i should go with !
No idea. I called safelite and they used one they had in stock. Glass was listed at $175.61, gasket at 23.34, labor was 60, plus 24.99 for mobile service.

The windshield has SGC on it, which I believe stands for Safelite Glass Company and a part number of DW-685. I don't know who really made the glass. I do know it doesn't fit well. But it's guaranteed.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #765
67cheby
67cheby

cool just curious, thanks
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #766
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I don't think the windshield fits right. I'll have to call and have them redo it. There is no way it'll seal out rain, let alone a car wash.

Spent part of the evening working on lights. The brake switch got replaced and the pedal hieght adjusted. Started installing the manual throttle cable. The hole is cut in the bezel, the cable is run through it, but it doesn't have enough threads showing through for the little chrome round thingy to grab onto. I ran out of light, so I'll have to pull it tomorrow and try again. Front parking lights are working (mostly). I need to put in new bulbs. This weekend is going to be busy finishing up a lot of these little things. Sorry no pics tonight. The sun just isn't staying up like it used to.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #767
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sorry about the windshield. Hope they get a better fitting one installed or get it fitting right.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #768
jkorbes

Awesome project and looking great so far!

Your truck is the same color as mine that I bought a couple of weeks ago:

According to the PO, the color is a 1969 Chevy color, code 55, "Azure Turquoise".
jkorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #769
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks a lot. Yours looks great too, congrats on the purchase. What color is the interior and could you post some pics of it? I'd like to see the SPID in the glove box also if you could.

Back in my navy days I was stationed at Bangor, WA and one of my friends had a neighbor with a 69 4x4 shortbed that was the same color. All original and original owner. I wanted that truck badly, but he decided to keep it. I was going to sell mine at the time if I could get his.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #770
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today I worked on getting all the lights working. Had one bent tab in a socket and a couple bad bulbs. Cleaned up the front parking light lenses and put in the new gaskets. I finished up the manual throttle, but need to find something to anchor the cable to the firewall, it slips. Bolted on a license plate and headed down the highway.

I didn't get far though. I was short one exhaust clamp, and well, it slipped and drug a bit. And it just isn't running right yet. It's wierd because you can be rolling along at part throttle and it seems like it's missing or bogging, then all of a sudden it smooths out and the power is back. I'm beginning to think the distibutor is shot and the advance is only working part of the time. Oh, and I ran out of gas a few blocks from the house. I need to fix that gas gage.

I advanced the timing a bit, fiddled with the ECU settings and it's better, but inconsistant. The power steering pump is shot and nobody within 100 miles of me has it in stock. Totally serious. I need to order one in.

I got the seat mounts just about all done, just need to jack it up so I can reach a few of the bolts and tighten it down. Laid in some more fatmat under the driver side seat and onto the foot well area. I'll do the passenger side before the seat is bolted in tight. The seat belts are in now too. Painted the headlight buckets. They should be dry tomorrow so I can get those installed.

The best part of the day was when my daughter came out and asked for a ride to a friends house. She was hoping it would be in the truck and it was. Before we left she was looking at the door locks and asked if they work. I said sure, but you have to use a key on the outside. She asked if I was going to put buttons in. I laughed and said no. We don't need no stinking buttons.

Then I went to pick up some food at the hardees wher my son works. He was just finishing his shift and asked if I brought the truck. I did. He asked me to wait for him to clock out for the 3 block ride home. He put his bike in the back.

So I need to order some parts, tighten some bolts, get the rear glass in, install the door panels, visors, etc. and then just tinker with it to shake out the little problems. It's almost there.

Punch list:
Front bumper top brackets
Polish other wheels
heater box
fat mat
adjust e-brake cable
wire tie wiring on frame
headlight buckets, clean and paint, adjusters?
tailgate letters
door panel upper trim and panel screws (need to order)
kick panel vents, paint and mount
rear window
horn
inner fenders (need new nuts, paint bolts)
gas gage reads high
Cowl shims
power steering pump
distributor

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-11-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #771
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sorry about the couple of setbacks....but overall sounds like an AWESOME Day!!! That's so cool that you were able to give your son and daughter a ride and they were looking forward to it
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #772
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Some pics of my recent progress.

Kitty checking it out.

Manual throttle knob.

Passenger door panel. Ignore my color scheme, it will be changed later.

Wipers

Seat and fatmat
Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #773
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice progress! Love how you're plugging away at it!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #774
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Plugging away is all I can do at this point. It's just a task list of: find this part, clean and/or paint it, install it. I ordered a new distributor. Skip White 65,000 volt HEI for $48 delivered. No brainer.

Punch list:
Front bumper top brackets (paint)
Polish other wheels
heater box
fat mat (almost there)
adjust e-brake cable
wire tie wiring on frame
headlight buckets, adjusters?
tailgate letters
Need some door panel screws, eustations to match panels
kick panel vents, paint and mount
rear window
horn
inner fenders (need new nuts, paint bolts)
gas gage reads high
Cowl shims
power steering pump
distributor (ordered)
Hook power lead to lighter
Washer pump
finish exhaust
manual throttle cable firewall clamp/clip (keep it in the right spot)
carpet/pad
upholstory recovered
alignment
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #775
jf781

Good work man. Gotta be a nice feeling to get to take out for a ride and to have the kids interested in it.

At the snail's pace I'm going on mine the kids will be in college by the time I get it back to being a driver again. The problem is one just started preschool the other just turned 1. I suppose that just gives me a few more years to try and warp their minds into this crazy hobby.
jf781 is offline   Reply With Quote