The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #776
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf781 View Post
Good work man. Gotta be a nice feeling to get to take out for a ride and to have the kids interested in it.

At the snail's pace I'm going on mine the kids will be in college by the time I get it back to being a driver again. The problem is one just started preschool the other just turned 1. I suppose that just gives me a few more years to try and warp their minds into this crazy hobby.
Of my 3 kids, only my son was was interested in a ride until it was painted. If you hadn't noticed the title of this thread, snails have been passing me by for years. My oldest is in her 2nd year of college and my yougest is a highschool freshman. This truck sat for years with barely a glance. It has been a very busy 3 years on this build and it's great to have a driver again.

Although, it continues to have issues. I advanced the timing a smidge and it runs better. I drove it this afternoon for quite a while and it never overheated, but it was trying to stall at idle. I nursed it home and open the hood to find a dropping fuel pressure. The line was very warm and I'm thinking vapor lock. It's out cooling down now and I'll check it later to see how it is. I have a hard time believing the filters are clogging. Everything was either new or completely washed out before installing.

If it is getting hot with that return line recircing at the pump inlet, I'll have to get another line back to the tank so it can mix and cool the fuel. Another day, another problem to solve.

I love driving it though. Every trip in town the past few days has been in the truck and it turns heads everywhere.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #777
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took it for another drive, just down to the school to watch my sons football game. It ran great, no problems. So I have a heat related fuel pressure problem. Yippee!

My daughter came to the game after her volleyball practice. She waited for me in the truck while I talked to the coach. When I got there she said the guys talking by the car next to mine were talking about my truck and that one of them said he didn't have the patience to do something like that.

Time to order parts. I need those little plastic nuts for the headlight adjustment screws. Sheesh, never ending it seems.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #778
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been a busy week between work, watching my kids activities and going to see the Foo Fighters wednesday night

Today I took some time to do a few things though. First I swapped the distributor and it is running smoother and more consistant. Now I can continue to adjust the EFI tune. Looks the same, I know, but you guys love your pics...

Finally got the wife out for a ride. She loves it but said the fuel pump is too loud. Considering the rear window isn't in yet and the side windows were down, I think it'll get quieter.

When we got home I figured I better get the headlights in, hich means touching up the paint on the grill. I got it masked off and sprayed some semi gloss black rustoleum, so maybe by tomorrow it'll be dry enough to touch. The headlight buckets were painted last weekend. I picked up new headlight adjuster screws and plastic nuts at Napa. So tomorrow I should be able to finish that.

While I was painting I figured it was a good time to do the kick panel vents. These were my originals and in surprisingly good shape. I cleaned them up and sanded the one side of one that had some surface rust. The paint on these things practically rubs off. All of the brackets, etc got sprayed also, so another bit I'll be able to check off the list soon.

I got another layer of insulation for the floor this week. I saw it on another thread (gringoloco's) and figured for the minimal cost, why not.
http://www.lobucrod.com/index.html
Gringo's thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...64#post4898864

That's probably it for today. I have to watch the paint dry. I'm not ready yet for the 50 mile drive to the show tomorrow in this, but I'm still going. Maybe I'll get to bring home some cool bits from the swap meet. Daburb is trying to talk me into buying his vac/tach dash. I'm trying to talk him into buying my 2wd blazer frame.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #779
78BO

Very nice work. Looked through the build and can't believe how much you've done. I think it would look cool to chrome those wheels.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #780
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good. Have fun at the show and hope you find some good treasures and have an uneventful ride
Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #781
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
Very nice work. Looked through the build and can't believe how much you've done. I think it would look cool to chrome those wheels.
Thanks. I can't believe it either. My wife can though. Chrome? Maybe, but I like how it turned out with just some elbow grease, and a buffing mini ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good. Have fun at the show and hope you find some good treasures and have an uneventful ride
Made it to the swap meet, didn't even go into the show area. Driving by though there was only one lonely 67-72 truck there. I got an incredible pile of stuff from the swap though.

You probably will NOT believe this, but everything in the first picture except the hub caps and 2 mini window cranks in the right upper corner I got from one guy for $50. The stuff mentioned above cost me another $12. I love a good deal. I turned down some body parts (door, fender, cowl) he was including in that price because they wouldn't fit in my car and they had some rust issues, etc. he recently finished his 67 truck build and was getting rid of everything left over in one shot.

Besides this stuff I bought a new mirror, brake pedal/trim, neutral safety switch and the correct headlight adjusters from Kevin (daburb) Gramentz of Bowtie Truck Stop, who was there. If you are looking for new or used parts for 47-07 chevy trucks around MN here give him a call or e-mail at 612-242-9925, daburb@gmail.com

Last edited by hgs_notes; 11-09-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #782
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went out to the garage to see if I could get the headlights in and working. I managed to get part way there. I had a box of headlights in the attic, went through and found a pair of halogens. One ended up being burnt. Plugged the one good light in on the passenger side and it worked on high beam, not on low. Swapped it over to the other side and neither worked. Test light confirmed lack of power on all those circuits. I have a couple grounds that need bolted up, but I think I'll end up tracing it out to find the fault because the test light didn't show power with it grounded direct to the battery terminal. So I have more work to do, but here is a shot of my partial success...

Here's a couple examples of what a few minutes with fine steel wool can get you.

Saw these at the swap meet and had to have them...

Not sure if I'll use them, but I wanted them anyway.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #783
VA72C10
VA72C10

Those window cranks are really cool!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #784
67chevy1series

im guessing impala cadillac vent window crank handles?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #785
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Those window cranks are really cool!!!
They cleaned upreal nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
im guessing impala cadillac vent window crank handles?
Yeah, I think so.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #786
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
They cleaned upreal nice too.

Yeah, I think so.
On your headlights. You should do the relay mod. Seriously. Very easy, they are brighter and less issues with the headlight switches.

On your interior vents that are down by your legs, i completely forgot about mine. ahaha. Do they sell replacement seals for those things?? Mine are shot.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #787
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
On your headlights. You should do the relay mod. Seriously. Very easy, they are brighter and less issues with the headlight switches.

On your interior vents that are down by your legs, i completely forgot about mine. ahaha. Do they sell replacement seals for those things?? Mine are shot.
Yeah, the relays will be set up soon, but I still need to figure out where my power loss is now because that still actuates the relays. LMC sells vent seals, part #38-7420 but the assemblies are available also # 38-2490. The extra sets I have probably need new rubber also.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #788
67cheby
67cheby

on the headlight relay deal..i am just installing a painless complete harness..do i still need to add the relays or did painless build these in ?? anyone know ?
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #789
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Yeah, the relays will be set up soon, but I still need to figure out where my power loss is now because that still actuates the relays. LMC sells vent seals, part #38-7420 but the assemblies are available also # 38-2490. The extra sets I have probably need new rubber also.
You turn the switch on and one light comes on, but not bright and the other one doesnt at all. Check your bright switch, and then just trace your power coming off the switch. Might find some melted wires behind the fuse panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
on the headlight relay deal..i am just installing a painless complete harness..do i still need to add the relays or did painless build these in ?? anyone know ?
Im not sure. I would imagine that they would do that. Its pretty easy to track down. See if power goes straight from the headlight switch to the headlights. If there is no relay setup inbetween then no they didnt. I cant imagine them not doing that though.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #790
67cheby
67cheby

cool i will check it out ! thanks
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #791
mcbassin
Still Learning

looks like a lot of good progress. I think you got your money worth at the swap meet too. Keep the pics coming.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #792
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
looks like a lot of good progress. I think you got your money worth at the swap meet too. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks, I have a little more progress too. As for the swap meet, I've almost sold enough of those parts to cover what I spent already. I have a special sale going now on a lot of the small bits on the parts board and more I still need to get listed.

The progress...found another halogen bulb and installed it. Didn't work on the wiring yet though. I'll do that this weekend. It sure looks better though. The only thing missing on the front is the little frame top bumper brackets. Maybe get those on this weekend also.

The rear window took longer to clean than it did to install. There are a couple small spots I'll have to touch up with black, but the wife is wondering if I can get a chrome one. Maybe I could just sand the black off the outer frame and polish that, leave the inner frame stuff black to go with the tinted glass. Any opinions on that? I was also thinking about getting the chrome trim for the rear window like the windshield. I also have a set of the trim for the back of the cab that was used to separate the colors for 2 tone, but can't remember ever seeing it on a truck that a single color. Might look cool.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #793
67chevy1series

i have seen plenty of two tone trucks. my dads 70 4wd custom cab truck was white and it had below the window trim and lower trim.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #794
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
i have seen plenty of two tone trucks. my dads 70 4wd custom cab truck was white and it had below the window trim and lower trim.
I should have worded that better. I have seen lots of 2 tone trucks with the rear cab trim. Can't remember seeing rear cab trim on a single color truck though. This truck was originally 2 tone. White cab top and medium green body, with the trim separating the color on the back of the cab. Might even have some old pics somewhere of that. I need to find those old pics, scan and post them. What a beater.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #795
67chevy1series

i read what you said correctly my dads truck was ALL WHITE top to bottom and it had the rear cab trim. it was "1 tone" lol not 2 tone.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #796
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
i read what you said correctly my dads truck was ALL WHITE top to bottom and it had the rear cab trim. it was "1 tone" lol not 2 tone.
Oh, alright. I'll have to look up some pics and see how that looks. Classic Industries has a 20% off sale right now, so I cleared most of my wishlist. Getting the tach/vac dash conversion kit and a bunch of other doodads. Buying a can of the vinyl paint in dark aqua to see how that matches up. Everything but the stereo which was not included in the sale or I would have had that too.

The only things left to buy is a chrome grill (classic industries doesn't have it), front bumper, headlight bezels, stereo. I need upholstory work done and carpet. Other than that it's just me finishing installation of parts.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-23-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #797
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took a few minutes to install the kick panel vents. They look pretty good, but now I see how terrible my brake pedal looks.

And I swapped my new door mirror in. It looks better. The old one is listed in the for sale section if anyones interested.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #798
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #799
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I can't say I figured out what was wrong with the head lights, but I fixed them. It might have been just a misalignment of the plug into the dimmer switch, because that was the only thing I messed with. Pulled the plug to check for power, it was good, plugged it back in, lights work. All of them. Just bolted down the ground wire for the driver side which brightened it up and called it a day.

Well, almost. I painted the brake pedal and installed the new pad with trim. I also installed the driver side door panel and arm rest. Swapped the green arm rests on both doors, installed my mini window cranks (they work fine) and took it for a drive.

It's running good and drives even better. Still need to swap the power steering pump, but you don't notice that on the highway. Took it for about a 8 mile drive out in the country without a hiccup. Couple things I'll need to do eventually is get the kickdown connected and adjusted (ordered a bracket this morning) and adjust the modulator on the tranny for a higher shift rpm from 2nd to 3rd. It's ready now. I trust it to go anywhere. There is still a short list of little things that still need attention, but nothing that keeps it from the road. I love it and just want to get back in it and go.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #800
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Hey post #800. That calls for a pic.

Punch list:
Front bumper top brackets (paint)
Polish other wheels
heater box
fat mat (almost there)
adjust e-brake cable
wire tie wiring on frame
tailgate letters
eustations to match panels
horn
inner fenders (need new nuts, paint bolts)
gas gage reads high
Cowl shims
power steering pump
Hook power lead to lighter
Washer pump
finish exhaust
manual throttle cable firewall clamp/clip (keep it in the right spot)
carpet/pad
upholstory recovered
alignment