The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #776
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Got a little work done on the door, in between cleaning up the garage and raking leaves, and getting some parts ready and listed for sale. Welded in the outside corner patch first...

Then did the inside one...

Then made the patch for the front bottom corner. It is just about ready to weld in, but ran out of time. So next update will be that, and then shooting some epoxy primer to seal it all up.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #777
superduty_59

Nice steady progress!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #778
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last rust hole patch for the door is now welded in.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #779
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got a couple hours in the garage this afternoon. I cleaned up the welds on the door a bit more, found a couple more pinholes to put a spot of weld on and called it good enough. Then pulled out a fender to use for the driver side. One dent that had the metal stretched pretty good got hammered out. It was popping in and out though so I heated it up with the propane torch and quick cooled it with a wet rag. Hammered a bit more and torched it again and it cured the oil canning. Then I spent some time looking it over for rust holes and other damage. Then I spotted some holes drilled in the wheel arch, probably for some kind of flare, so welded those up.

The emblem holes were for a 68 chevy and wouldn't work for the K5 emblems, so I welded those up too.

It was a pretty clean fender and should look good once its stripped of paint and smoothed out with some filler and primer.

Hoping to get primer on both the door and fender tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll get the fender stripped in time. Just have to see how it goes. Because I still have to cut off the cup and weld in the plate for the bumper mod.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #780
67chevy1series

those holes werent for a flair. if you look at it those are way to nice and evenly spaced to be done by a PO. (from what i gather) all the 67 and 68 front chevy ( GMC may not be the same) fenders had the 5 trim screw holes drilled in them whether or not the truck the fender was on would have side trim or not. the beds however were only drilled if the truck was going to have side trim since not every truck used 1 bed, and there were 4 bed choices.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #781
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
those holes werent for a flair. if you look at it those are way to nice and evenly spaced to be done by a PO. (from what i gather) all the 67 and 68 front chevy ( GMC may not be the same) fenders had the 5 trim screw holes drilled in them whether or not the truck the fender was on would have side trim or not. the beds however were only drilled if the truck was going to have side trim since not every truck used 1 bed, and there were 4 bed choices.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info. They are just potential rust growth areas for me.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #782
71swb4x4

I just went out and checked my 67. It's a 67 C30 that is bone stock. The holes are in my fenders. I had never noticed them.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #783
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Confirmed then.

Just to let you guys know, I'm having a slight jimmy progress delay while I fix some issues with a 2wd blazer frame I have so I can get it sold. Almost done with the repair work, just need to repair one more rusty area, bolt on the good brackets/mounts, sandblast and paint and hopefully find a buyer soon so I can get it out of my yard. Its been listed before in the classifieds but everyone that was interested lost that interest when I said there were some rusty areas. I can understand that, so I will get it all fixed up and try again.

It was going to be the base for a future build for me, but between my C-10 and the jimmy, anything new I want to do I could do to one of those. Anyway, I'll be back to primer and body work and paint soon enough on this bad boy.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #784
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The 2wd blazer frame is fixed up and listed on ebay. I've had a bit more free time available, so I finally got a day in the garage to get back to work on the Jimmy. I was really starting to miss it. Then I started sanding again. Feelings of missing working in the garage all gone.

Have I mentioned before how much I hate sanding? Pretty sure I have.

Anyway, I muddled through. I started getting the filler work done on the door. It is pretty well roughed in at this point. Next step is to spray it with some epoxy primer, which I picked up last week ($50). I was hoping to get it sprayed today, but just ran out of time.

I also worked on the fender some more. I cut out the filler piece for the front bottom where I cut it off, got it welded in and cleaned up.

I spent quite a lot of time cleaning it up, stripping some of the paint, etc. Still have some work to do there, but by next weekend I think I'll get be spraying the paint on the insides of these panels and mounting them up.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do after that. The hood would be the obvious choice, but I'm thinking about doing a modification with that and might wait. When I spray the next paint I think I'm going to do the kick panels too. Then I need to get some paint tint for the als liner and get the front section of floor sprayed so I can start putting the dash together and mount the seats. Speaking of dash, I have to remember to paint the top of it. Then get the windshield installed. And wipers. and heater. and dash pad, which reminds me that I need to get the vinyl paint for the one I have (gray now, going to be black). Cripes theres a lot to do yet.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #785
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The 2wd blazer frame is fixed up and listed on ebay. I've had a bit more free time available, so I finally got a day in the garage to get back to work on the Jimmy. I was really starting to miss it. Then I started sanding again. Feelings of missing working in the garage all gone.

Have I mentioned before how much I hate sanding? Pretty sure I have.

Anyway, I muddled through. I started getting the filler work done on the door. It is pretty well roughed in at this point. Next step is to spray it with some epoxy primer, which I picked up last week ($50). I was hoping to get it sprayed today, but just ran out of time.

I also worked on the fender some more. I cut out the filler piece for the front bottom where I cut it off, got it welded in and cleaned up.

I spent quite a lot of time cleaning it up, stripping some of the paint, etc. Still have some work to do there, but by next weekend I think I'll get be spraying the paint on the insides of these panels and mounting them up.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do after that. The hood would be the obvious choice, but I'm thinking about doing a modification with that and might wait. When I spray the next paint I think I'm going to do the kick panels too. Then I need to get some paint tint for the als liner and get the front section of floor sprayed so I can start putting the dash together and mount the seats. Speaking of dash, I have to remember to paint the top of it. Then get the windshield installed. And wipers. and heater. and dash pad, which reminds me that I need to get the vinyl paint for the one I have (gray now, going to be black). Cripes theres a lot to do yet.

Good job man. keep it up. Im rebuilding a 69 bug for my wife.. Im just not on the body work.. NOT looking forward to all the sanding.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #786
Low Elco

Not for nuthin', but I'd pop a good size drain hole in those flat bottoms before I painted em. Looks great, as always!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #787
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I would if they could hold liquid but its flat and open to the inside when mounted. The original bottom can collect stuff. This is like a shelf.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #788
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Have fun with the bug Lyrikz. The only kind of bug I want is a dune buggy, like a Manx style. Might be a future build for me. Thinking of the possibility of 4 wheel steering using a front wheel drive engine/tranny combo in the rear. Maybe its already been done, I haven't given it too much thought yet.

I got a couple hours in the garage tonight to start spraying some primer. First time spraying the CP-400 epoxy in my new gun and it came out very heavy. Even but heavy. I finished stripping the old paint off the fender first.

I also cleaned up this old oil bath air cleaner and sprayed it. I found it at the junkyard on a chevy truck, but it is not the OEM type for our trucks. I could not find a single mfr stamping or part number. No old decals or anything else to ID what its originally from. It fits a 4 barrel carb too. I like the way it looks though. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Might be more wall art.

Looks like I'm on track to get the inside surfaces painted this weekend and mount these up.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #789
Low Elco

Lookin good! What kind of gun didja get?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #790
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm using devilbiss starting line guns, same ones I had for the past year or so, but I never sprayed this particular epoxy primer through it before. I just had my cheapo guns before. These are not as high end as iwata or sata, but way better than the typical 3 gun for $50 sets or the harbor freight ones. I've got those too and wouldn't use them for anything but primer, and don't really like them for that either. The starting line guns were about $140-150 for the pair.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #791
Low Elco

I had one, my current "good gun" is a Finex by Sharpe. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #792
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took the day off, only got a couple hours in the garage. Oh well, at least I got something done.

Still don't know what I'll do with this. Probably sell it. I just like the look of it. Now in satin black.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #793
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I thought I was going to have my fender and door painted and mounted this past weekend, but mom came down for a visit and so that didn't happen. And I got my C-10 in storage for the winter. Which meant an inside parking spot for the wifes denali, but the floor under the jimmy was a big greasy mess, which meant some cleaning was in order. So, C-10 gone, Jimmy moved to the other side of the garage, and floor cleaned up (as well as I could do without a pressure washer).

I did take some time to try and hammer out some dents in the grill I plan on using. There was one in the middle that was pretty bad, even tore the steel and it was rolled over. I hammered most of it out. I'll clean it up and have a plan to change the look of the grill that might help hide the dings. If I want to get a nice grill later on I will.

Then I took some more time tonight to prep the fender for the upcoming paint. I sanded the inside part and taped up the outside. Just need to wipe it down and spray it.

Next I'll finish whatever body work I need to do to the inside of the door and prep it for paint. So hopefully this coming weekend.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #794
Low Elco

Don't waste time masking your outsides. You'll sand off any overspray in your final prep. No sense wasting the time and paper, plus you get another hard line to deal with. Lookin good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #795
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Don't waste time masking your outsides. You'll sand off any overspray in your final prep. No sense wasting the time and paper, plus you get another hard line to deal with. Lookin good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the tip. Makes sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #796
1949gmc

Lookin good brother! Seeing what you've done may actually inspire me to get back to work on mine!
Posted via Mobile Device
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #797
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
Lookin good brother! Seeing what you've done may actually inspire me to get back to work on mine!
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought you were selling yours. Every man needs something to work on when he has the time. My progress has been slow on this build by my standards. I'm getting to that point though where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The worst of the body work is done (unless I modify my hood). It runs, it drives, it still leaks around the tranny pan

I'd like some see more progress on yours. It'll be a nice truck.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #798
1949gmc

The only progress I have to report would be that I moved it from one side of the garage to the other. As for the sale, it's really going nowhere fast. Paint has really been my biggest hurdle...just can't get it done. Glad to see you're making progress, though. Someone should be!
Posted via Mobile Device
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #799
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
Glad to see you're making progress, though. Someone should be!
Posted via Mobile Device
Might as well be me then. I finally got to spray more color. But first, there was more prep work. Primer and sand, etc.

Couple pieces needed to be blackened...

That was yesterday.

This morning I went out early and kept at it til it was done.

Even mounted a piece back on the truck.

I've had this idea for quite awhile now, and had a little left over paint in the gun, so I went for it. Didn't come out real nice because I did almost no prep on it and its kind of a beater cooler. I had a big run on one side. I'll fix the bottom cracked plastic up later on so it matches the jimmy. I might respray it too down the road. Planning to do another one to match my C-10 also. My daughter said I should put a GMC emblem on the lid. Not a bad idea.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #800
87Jimmy4JP

subscribing...just read this all the way through before work....wow

I will continue to use this for inspiration on my build...First new part...starter rebuild.....17.00 for the kit..9.00 in shipping....total spent so far....26.00

sound familiar?

thanks for keeping this thread going...its awesome!

JP
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote