The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
87Jimmy4JP

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I think you will be happier with the results this way!..looks great.

dash pad is slick....this is such an inspiring thread.

JP
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Jimmy4JP View Post
I think you will be happier with the results this way!..looks great.

dash pad is slick....this is such an inspiring thread.

JP
Happier with the results, but a lot more work.

Dash pad is bolted in now. Looks alright. I oblonged one of the holes so the pad would settle in better.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
RatRod68

it is a little more work, but the peace of mind knowing there isn't places where the metal can flex, shrink, expand or anything else under your gorgeous paint is worth the extra time. You will most definitely be happy with the result in the end.
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Exactly what these guys are saying. Your dash pad turned out nice. Is it getting chilly up there yet?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
it is a little more work, but the peace of mind knowing there isn't places where the metal can flex, shrink, expand or anything else under your gorgeous paint is worth the extra time. You will most definitely be happy with the result in the end.
Gorgeous paint? You did read the part where I'm doing it myself and it's my first attempt right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Exactly what these guys are saying. Your dash pad turned out nice. Is it getting chilly up there yet?
Not yet. Supposed to be 40's or warmer for another week or more. BTW, I'm working in Iowa next week. I have to go to Des Moines tuesday for a plant visit on wednesday.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here is what I meant by the weld wire being rolled like crap. I just bought a new one but set them side by side to show the obvious difference. The unruly wrap on these small wire feed welders causes problems with how smoothly it feeds. It has more drag so you have to loosen the nut holding the wire spool and tighten the tension on the feed roller. The problem with doing that is if the wire hits the work without an immediate arc it can cause the wire to snarl at the feed rollers where a little looser tension there might be enough for the feed to slip and not snarl for better wire spools.

Went to an auction this morning and won the bidding for a leg vice. For those not familiar, it it commonly used by blacksmiths. The leg will go to the floor and brace it for serious hammering. For $50 I figured it was worth getting now and storing until I have room for it. It will pair up well with my multi-function vice I just got that has the rotating head on it. Eventually I'll have a shop where I'll be able to form just about anything I want.

Also won the bid for this cooler. I plan on polishing it up some and painting a chevy logo or script or something on it. I already have the one painted to match. For some reason I can't identify, I really dig these old coolers.

Oh, I did work on the Jimmy a bit too. Just kept tacking away on the driver side of the hood. I did most of the grinding and its about 95% done.

And here is a better pic of the dash pad.

I'm dragging my feet installing the rest of the dash parts. Mainly because I want to paint the kick panels first, then do the heater, then the rest of it. Once the paint is done though I might just mask it off and spray the als liner on the floor in the front half of the tub so its done and I can mount the seats. During all of this I still need to work on the hood. Egads that's a lot of work. Not sure I'll be painting the outside by New Years at this rate.

One more thing, I found that my horn relay was killing my battery. I think I have the horn parts messed up in the steering wheel. It doesn't move like it should and I thinks it's stuck on. I unplugged it for now but at least my battery will stay charged.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 12-01-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Also won the bid for this cooler. I plan on polishing it up some and painting a chevy logo or script or something on it. I already have the one painted to match. For some reason I can't identify, I really dig these old coolers.
That cooler is awesome! Nice score.

I love old coolers too...I found this old Kampcold that is going to take up permanent residence in the back of my K/5 when it's done.

2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
jaros44sr

Nice coolers, i like it...looks like i gotta start looking for one, nice accent piece

Truck is looking awesome, nice budget build. Wished my would stay on some sorta budget

Are you going to put a seam sealer in the toe kick area? or just use the liner as a seam sealer....

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks VA.

This morning I finished welding out the passenger side of the hood. Not ground yet. Front next. Might be able to finish the welding today and get the top piece fit up and ready to glue down. Between weld passes I prepped the kick panels for paint. Sanding is done. I need to mask it all off and I can maybe spray it today.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 12-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I was able to get the front of the hood welded today. No grinding though because I was going to be spraying paint. Which I also got done. I really wish I had sprayed the kick panels when I did the dash. Would have been so much easier. I just had a different plan at that time. Anywho, pics...

After sealer...

Painted.

I messed up a little on the driver side. Last coat of clear and the spray gun got hung up under the dash and I held the trigger too long, so it made a run and kind of made the gold look like it melted in a spot or that the metallic flake shifted. I can live with it. No pic of that.

Been a pretty productive week. This week won't be. Too much work (job) to do.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Spent about an hour tonight masking stuff off on the floor and kick panels. I got a bead of seam sealer along the floor edge by the kick panels. Removed the gas pedal assembly. Now I just need to get the tint, wipe the floor down good and it's ready to spray the als liner. Probably have to wait until thursday or friday though.

Sometimes it's hard to say which I dislike more. Sanding or masking.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
RatRod68

sanding. that **** gets everywhere.
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This morning I picked up some tint for the Als liner. Just got done spraying it on. I'm having bad luck with the stuff not spraying evenly. I end up having to use a roller to even things out, which is a normal method also, just a bit of a pain.

Good enough for gov't work.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went out this morning to check on things. Its all still there. Waiting. Saying stuff like "Come on already, finish this up." and "What did you forget?"

Anyway, its setting up fine, but before I pulled all the paper out I figured I should spray those foot pedals black. Details, details.

I remembered to paint the transfer case shifter too.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 12-07-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Low Elco

I had a heckuva time with open time with Al's. It'd gel on me before I could get it on. Tends to leave quite a bit in the gun, it seems. Good product when done, though. Yours looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I had a heckuva time with open time with Al's. It'd gel on me before I could get it on. Tends to leave quite a bit in the gun, it seems. Good product when done, though. Yours looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been able to get it sprayed, but its a manic few minutes. I really think it covers more evenly with a roller though. And since the yellow is so light and I can sort of see through it in areas, I think I'm going to get a coat of paint in the bed before I line it, so it looks more even if the liner is a bit thin. Just a single coat for a base color. Probably should have done that with the front. I think it would have looked much better.

When I did my truck bed it wasn't as much of a problem because it was a darker color. But even there in the sun I can see small little dots that weren't completely covered and should probably be touched up.

I think if I was just using black I would just use one of the cheaper off the shelf bed liner kits. But when you want to color match you have limited choices.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Next phase of the floor. Bed liner floor mats.

Without the masking you can see the floor is a bit to yellow. It needs a second coat anyway, so I'll try some tint that is more orange.

This has been one of those days where I just need to end it with one or 3 of these...
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
Low Elco

Got the front of yeller dropped tonight, have one for me, I'm out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last night I had some extra black bed liner. Decided to stick with the theme on my cooler.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last of the front floor work is done. The ford grabber orange was fairly close, but I thought I could do better, so I went through the body shops color chip books again and found a nissan color that was very close. Had the parts store mix up the tint and it was just a bit darker, so I added some of the grabber orange color to it until I thought I couldn't match it any better. It was really just looking brown because it doesn't have nearly the pearls or flake in it that the paint has, but that is actually a good thing because the pearls and flake don't work as well in coloring the liner mix.

No sprayer this time. I just don't like how it flows. I used a roller method. I had 3/8" mat rollers today, but I think the 1/2 would have been better. My method is to roll on a coat, then go back a few minutes later and coat again and keep doing it until I use up the mix. It worked for me.

Pics...

before...

Probably won't do much more today. This stuff needs 24 hours to cure and What I need to do next to the hood is grind welds. Don't need that dust settling on my tacky liner. Besides that, I need to move some stuff around so we can finally get our christmas tree up.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
87Jimmy4JP

I would have to say, I think you nailed the color...and, with that many layers on there, I would say its protected!

looks great

Jp
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks Jp. Putting the liner on with a roller actually makes thinner coats I think. Its almost like painting with household paint. I'm using up some of my vacation today. In and out of the garage. So far I got the heater box in, heater hoses (need to paint the vents yet), gas pedal, radio (not wired yet), heater control (need to find and hook up cables), gauges (need vac line and oil line through firewall), transfer case shift boot (need to find the screws) and glove box in.

Currently working on painting seat brackets, kick panel vents, console, etc. Will need to work on wiring and the other things in the parenthesis above, but its actually going together.

Check out my old radio. I bought this for my C-10 in the summer of 1984 I think. I used it until I tore my truck apart for the paint restoration. The aluminum mounting plate is the same one I made in shop class all those years ago. It just covers the holes and strengthens the mounting a bit.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #24
71swb4x4

Looking great!!

Interesting lighter, it looks like it's billet, is it?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
Low Elco

Maaan, that's comin out nice! Are you hauling it to the bodyshop to shoot the outside?
Posted via Mobile Device