The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Not really a build update, but worth posting. My mom came down for Thanksgiving and it's the first time she got to see my (nearly) finished truck in person. She was amazed and said that my dad would have loved it. He died about 6 years ago and for many years didn't understand my love for his old truck. My mom said that after a while he did come around and thought it was a worthwhile project. He never got to see how it turned out, but a piece of him is in every part of this build. All that I have learned, the roots of my passion for things mechanical began with his influence on me. My life has been built on those beginnings.

Anyway, this morning before she was going to head home, I took her for a ride. She loved it. It's entirely possible that she hadn't been in it since the late 70's. From then on we had a 2nd car and the only time we used the truck was for hauling wood and garbage, etc. By that time I was old enough to help my dad with these chores and she just would not have been in it. She said it brought back a lot of memories and one I had yesterday was of my whole family from back then stuffed into the cab. My parents, me and both sisters, and thought I should try and recreate that.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Anyway, this morning before she was going to head home, I took her for a ride. She loved it....
so you didn't go up to 105+ with her in the car I reckon

great story btw. and the truck is awesome!
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
67cheby
67cheby

thats awesome man, congrats on bringing back old/good memories and starting many more new ones !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Super cool story about your Mom and family history. I'm sure you are making your old man proud. your truck just keeps getting nicer.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

very cool story
Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Wow, those pieces you painted matched pretty nicely. Congrats on the memory lane trip, that is pretty cool!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
KEH
Better late than never

Great job!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks for the kind words. On another front, I am a die cast collector of these trucks, and also have a few models. Last winter I built one of them to match what my truck would look like. I had it pretty well wrapped up except the wheels. I had a hell of a time finding 1/24-1/25 scale cyclone/turbo/huricane wheels to match mine. Yesterday I was at a Hobby Lobby store and scanned the pics on the model boxes and found this...

Got the wheels on, but wasn't a direct fit. Different manufacturers of models and different sizes of tires/wheels means I couldn't just slip those wheels into the tires from the original kit. Mounting was different, etc. but I got them on it eventually. I got the grill bowtie painted and installed and also the door mirror. So here is the comparison with a shot of the real truck.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Great work on the model!!! Now you just need to polish up the rest of the wheels on the real thing
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Great work on the model!!! Now you just need to polish up the rest of the wheels on the real thing
Man, what a ball buster! Where'd your thread disappear to anyway?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Man, what a ball buster!

Would you like some cheese with that whine???

Quote:
Where'd your thread disappear to anyway?

Ouch! That one hurts!!!

(the truth always hurts the worst)

I have had to switch gears from working on the truck to working on parts to sell to pay the bills. My part time/independent contractor work (main source of income for the last year) has slowed to next to nil with the holidays...combine that with having one of those places owing me $2,400 in commission....and I've been having to provide for the family with the restoration and sale of truck parts.....

I have found some great deals on the last main parts needed for it and have the tailgate for it at the body shop being worked on by someone 10,000 times more qualified than me to work on it
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

While I'm at it......

When are you going to do the van marker conversion on the model???

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
While I'm at it......

When are you going to do the van marker conversion on the model???

I guess I should have sanded the side molding and emblems off too. I'll need a different tailgate also, and I'll have to find a 99 or so truck model with a split bench, and.. oh hell, it's close enough.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
I guess I should have sanded the side molding and emblems off too. I'll need a different tailgate also, and I'll have to find a 99 or so truck model with a split bench, and.. oh hell, it's close enough.
I noticed all that too....but wasn't trying to be toooo picky

Both projects turned out great! and I'm sure the blazer is going to be nice as well!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Ummm, no. But I don't think she would freak too much. When she met my dad he was driving a brand new 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with a 390 and 4 speed. He would street race my uncle (her brother) with his new 1969 GTX with a 440. My dad also had a 1967 GTO with a 400 and 4 speed in the early 70's. She was as mad as me when he sold that car without telling her. My dad had an eye for awesome car styling. He did buy this truck afterall.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I've been concentrating lately on the Jimmy but decided today that I need to try and finish up some things here too. I installed the driver side inner fender and made a new vacuum line from the carb to the brake booster. I used a section of left over aluminum fuel line and just used a couple bits of hose to connect it together. I think it looks a lot nicer than my ratty old hose it replaced.

Next will be getting the heater box back together and painted up nice, so i can get the other inner fender installed. The other under hood details are the headlight relays, paint touch up on the black bolt heads, etc., installing the new plug wires and wire holders and make a better fan mount and get the windshield washer set up installed.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
jf781

Glad to see your still keeping at it. Looking great.
jf781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Pulled the gauge cluster out of the truck, brought it inside and did the tach/vac conversion. Pretty simple kit to install. Comes with everything except the little foam pads that go between the lense and bezel, which I bought separately. I'll install it later today, have to take care of other household things first. Looks good though huh?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Steve-W

Quote:
Pulled the gauge cluster out of the truck, brought it inside and did the tach/vac conversion. Pretty simple kit to install. Comes with everything except the little foam pads that go between the lense and bezel, which I bought separately. I'll install it later today, have to take care of other household things first. Looks good though huh?
pfff are you crazy? it looks great!
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
pfff are you crazy? it looks great!
Nah, not there it doesn't. Now it looks great...

Tach and vacuum working...

The only issues during the install was having to buy a fitting for the vacuum gauge, 1/4" female pipe thread to hose barb. I routed the vacuum hose through a hole I drilled in the floor just to the left of the heater floor outlet. It goes behind the carpet then ties into the vacuum line to the shift modulator on the tranny. I routed the wire for the tach through the same grommet as the oil pressure line. Looks like I might have to replace some bulbs because the ones on the right side did not seem to be working right. Otherwise no problems with that.

Driver side door handle is a problem. I can't believe how crappy the reproduction parts are. My new one I put on this summer broke. The plate that holds the spring in for the button fell out because they just use a small crimp on it to hold it. The new one they sent me is just as much of a piece of $%&+. So my options are to see if I can find a good NOS or like new original, or modify the junk I have now. I have a couple ideas to try, and if any of you readers have made a repair to these, please let me know.

Outside of that, progress ended with me cleaning up the heater box. Just need to degrease and scuff it and should be ready for some paint.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Brief update, just put the second coat of paint on the heater box. The back side was cleaned up and has an etching primer on it. I'll spray that with some black once the front is cured. Should be able to get it back together this weekend, then the inner fender. Just trying to plug away at the punch list.

Punch list:
Polish other wheels
heater box
adjust e-brake cable
horn
inner fenders (need new nuts, paint bolts) driver side done
Cowl shims
Washer pump
finish exhaust
upholstory recovered
alignment
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
jaydelriotx

Great job! Loving this build
Posted via Mobile Device
jaydelriotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydelriotx View Post
Great job! Loving this build
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, glad to hear it.

I got the heater box installed today. It's not that complicated, but takes longer than you'd think. First task was to put the heater core in it. Simple enough, but before that I wanted to make sure it wasn't a leaker. There was some green around the bottom nozzle so I cleaned it up, put a short piece of hose on one nozzle, clamped a plug into the end, then sprayed the core with 409 or windex in the joint areas and used some compressed air on the other nozzle. No leaks.

Then I pulled out my new gasket set for the heater and got the correct gaskets out for this heater (the kit has stuff for AC trucks also) and used some caulk to hold the gasket to the heater box. Then I found a push on clip thingy for the heater control damper cable.

The next part is sort of a PITA, because you have to move the hood hinge forward to work the heater into place. The rubber seal for where the fan blows into the firewall doesn't want to stay in place during this so it's better to leave the blower fan off when installing the box. Also have a pliers handy to help push the cable end onto the pin for the damper. There is just a couple inches to work in here, then push the little clip onto the pin to secure it.

With that done you can set the box in position on the 2 studs sticking out of the firewall. I put the stamped nuts on those studs and started the bolts on the heater core side of the box. Then I worked the rubber seal back onto the flange from the inside where the blower goes. It's not to hard, once thats done then tighten everything down.

Now the blower fan can be installed, there is a gasket in the kit for that also. A few dabs of black silicone will help hold the gasket in position. The hood hinge needs to be out of the way for this step also. There are 2 flat sides of the fan flange, one goes up the other in the 3 o'clock position. I also tested the fan before I installed it, test sat. There is a ground wire for the fan that goes on the top right screw for the fan, the other end goes to the bolt holding the heater box to the firewall just behind it. Don't forget it, the box is fiberglass or some other composite so the fan will not run without a ground.

Then just re-install the hood hinge, plug the fan wire in and hook up the hoses. I still need to do those last couple things, but it may be a while before I actually hook the hoses up to it. The gasket kit also has a couple foam gaskets for the heater core nozzles coming through the holes in the box, I got those in.

Now I'm ready to install the other inner fender, at least after I get some bolts cleaned and painted and a few more clip on nuts for it.

Also worked on my driver side door handle. Not having much luck finding a good original or an NOS one, so I decided to try a fix on the reproduction. There is just a small crimp on there to hold it from the factory and it can come loose easy enough. Dont bother trying to recrimp it, the tabs will break off (ask me how I know). I have found a few handles on parts trucks that had holes drilled through the back and wires ran around the little plate that holds the spring and guides the button. It looks funky but it works and is not seen anyway. But I wanted to do something different.

I cleaned up the area with a wire wheel and some brake cleaner, then mixed up a small amount of body panel adhesive (I suppose epoxy could work also) and put that over the area where the spring retainer plate meets the body of the handle. As long as it doesn't chip off it will at the very least keep that little plate from moving around and popping off. Once it hardens up for a couple days I'll get it back on the door. I had 2 handles and I did this to both of them. Ready spare.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
VA72C10
VA72C10

Dash and heater box look great!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #25
David67

^^X2
Looks awesome!

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015