The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #851
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

Re: My 1965 build thread

they only make 1 standard (non select) oil pump and thats a m55 the high volume is a m55hv. when i worked at parts plus that is the pump we sold for all sb chevys
you shouldnt need a high volume
BTW did you have any cam clearance issues
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #852
Chevysdominate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thanks for the input on lifters. My cousin called me back plus I got some help from the engine forum to reinforce what my cousin said. I over tightened the lifters by about a round and waited for the oil to bled out of it. That was the problem they were full of oil. It was simple but confused me

I found out my cousin has a 68 camaro with a 540 Kieth Black engine. He's coming to the next cruise in. I want a ride. I will get pics.

Also found out today that the federal government had the oil makers remove certain components like zinc. Because the stuff was plugging catylitic converters. That has resulted in alot of flat tappet cams failing. I've heard it from 3 different people in the past few days (2 engine builders). My cousin runs rotella diesel oil. It still has the ingredients in it. Has anyone else heard of this? Or you could ad this for about $12 a bottle. One engine builder uses it, I think I would use rotella

Got my oil pump and pan on tonight.
All the big automakers have internal service bulletins warning against using new oils in flat tappet camshaft engines (I've seen the GM bulletin with my own two eyes). I had to rebuild my 400 two different times because of a flattened cam. The third revision of the engine is still alive and kicking strong after i used an additive given to me by a gm mechanic. You don't need to use additives all the time, but you should use it for the first couple hundred/thousand miles. With all that being said, I have seen a fair number of engines do just fine with no additives at all. I personally wouldn't risk it though
Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #853
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The absense of zinc in most motor oils, including diesel specific oils, has been discussed several times over in the Engine and Drivetrain section. Personally I wouldn't risk a flat tappet failure and use the additive all the time. It would be cheaper than a rebuild.

That oil pump issue has me stumped.....never seen that. As jgh64pkup said all SBC oil pumps are interchangeable regardless of the crank. The only thing I can think of related to the oil pump that would need to be different is the intermediate shaft between the distributor and the pump needs to be correct for the 3.75 stroke crank. Is that an aftermarket crank Alan? Is the interference a large amount or could a little grinding on the oil pump take care of it. Yeah I know that shouldn't have to be done. Can you get a hold of another pump to check to see if it is just an oddball pump?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #854
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Missed my edit window.....I see you have the correct intermediate shaft. It
could possibly be the pump being the M55A as jgh64pkup also mentioned. I've always used either a M55 or M55HV pump.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #855
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

go down to your local parts store get a melling m55 (usually cost around 20 bucks) and slap it on there i bet it will fix your problem
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #856
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
If I knew anything about anything I would offer advice, but I don't. So I'll just sit here and watch. Good luck I know you'll get it figured out. Can't wait to start on my engine.
Thanks, and yes it did get figured out today. Read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
they only make 1 standard (non select) oil pump and thats a m55 the high volume is a m55hv. when i worked at parts plus that is the pump we sold for all sb chevys
you shouldnt need a high volume
BTW did you have any cam clearance issues
I'll try to condense everything down today into a short story. I ordered the M55A pump from Skip White. They said it fits all small blocks. I called Melling and emailed the pic to him and he said "Wow". He looked into it and emailed me back saying my crank is out of spec. I went to the local parts house and got a M55 and it looks and fits great with no interferrance. I called Skip White and he said He has seen this before with certain cranks with this pump. I can't tell what crank this is. I bought a 383 kit and can't locate the paper work. He said just send the pump back. So that issue is resolved, now I just need to clean everything back up and start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevysdominate View Post
All the big automakers have internal service bulletins warning against using new oils in flat tappet camshaft engines (I've seen the GM bulletin with my own two eyes). I had to rebuild my 400 two different times because of a flattened cam. The third revision of the engine is still alive and kicking strong after i used an additive given to me by a gm mechanic. You don't need to use additives all the time, but you should use it for the first couple hundred/thousand miles. With all that being said, I have seen a fair number of engines do just fine with no additives at all. I personally wouldn't risk it though
I will run the additive all of the time. It's just not worth the risk. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The absense of zinc in most motor oils, including diesel specific oils, has been discussed several times over in the Engine and Drivetrain section. Personally I wouldn't risk a flat tappet failure and use the additive all the time. It would be cheaper than a rebuild.
Thanks captain, I don't venture away from the 60-66 section that much unless there's not much going on in it. I just don't have the time right now. I would love too read everything this forum has too offer. Maybe someday I will have some time.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #857
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Weird stuff, I'm glad you got it figured out. The latest problem I had with this 59 Ford Panel I'm working on. The customer gave me a 302 engine with a C-6 tranny to install. First problem was the 302 had the wrong flywheel. It was too small and the starter wouldn't mesh with the ring gear. I had to research, and buy the correct flex plate. I installed the new flex plate and put the trans back on the engine. Then when I went to bolt up the torque converter it didn't fit. The guy said it was a special made converter for the C-6 transmission, and his 302 engine with an RV cam. I took the transmission & flex plate off again, and brought both the converter, and flex plate down to the local Transmission Shop. He said the torque converter wasn't even for a C-6 or a C-4. It was for an early Mustang. My customer got screwed. He bought this converter for $500.00 years ago, and the guy he bought it from died, and went out of business. What I hate is I'm stuck with the problem, and the customer wants me to feel sorry for him. I spent all this time for no money. Good thing I found it out before I installed the engine and trans in the truck. Now I have to get a new converter. You bet I'll make money on it. F**ken FORDS!! Sorry for ranting on.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT

Last edited by Strodder; 04-25-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #858
daverod
SSN 706

Nicely put and I hear ya. Damn people anyways.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #859
64Fugly

Wink Re: My 1965 build thread

Hey Alan, Heck of a job your are doing there, I am so very jeleous that I had to convince my fiance to let me get my 65 out of storage put new tags on it and park it in the garage to start working on it. I got the deed done. It just cost me updating one of the rooms. new walls, new floor, etc......

Name:  P1010117.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  51.2 KB

64Fugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #860
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Weird stuff, I'm glad you got it figured out. The latest problem I had with this 59 Ford Panel I'm working on. The customer gave me a 302 engine with a C-6 tranny to install. First problem was the 302 had the wrong flywheel. It was too small and the starter wouldn't mesh with the ring gear. I had to research, and buy the correct flex plate. I installed the new flex plate and put the trans back on the engine. Then when I went to bolt up the torque converter it didn't fit. The guy said it was a special made converter for the C-6 transmission, and his 302 engine with an RV cam. I took the transmission & flex plate off again, and brought both the converter, and flex plate down to the local Transmission Shop. He said the torque converter wasn't even for a C-6 or a C-4. It was for an early Mustang. My customer got screwed. He bought this converter for $500.00 years ago, and the guy he bought it from died, and went out of business. What I hate is I'm stuck with the problem, and the customer wants me to feel sorry for him. I spent all this time for no money. Good thing I found it out before I installed the engine and trans in the truck. Now I have to get a new converter. You bet I'll make money on it. F**ken FORDS!! Sorry for ranting on.
Rant on Brother get it all out. I dread those days. I have only done mainly collision repairs for family members. I did do the Miata for someone a little while back. All I had to do was the paint and body work. If I ever get my truck done I will be in the market to do someone elses restoration. I was thinking it would be up too them to locate and pickup all parts for their restoration. Unless they want to pay me by the hour to do so. I know how much time I spend locating parts for my project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Nicely put and I hear ya. Damn people anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Fugly View Post
Hey Alan, Heck of a job your are doing there, I am so very jeleous that I had to convince my fiance to let me get my 65 out of storage put new tags on it and park it in the garage to start working on it. I got the deed done. It just cost me updating one of the rooms. new walls, new floor, etc......
Thanks Fugly, Congrats on digging it out of storage. Make sure too take lots of pix and show us what your doing. I hear ya about updating the house. Read on......

Things are kind of slow in the shop due too getting the walkway done from the house too the shop. No more walking thru mud and hearing about it later.

Now the time has come to get the kitchen cabinets done. If ya'll don't remember she wants them painted black. Did some experimenting with spraying oil base paint thru my automotive gun. It makes the job a little easier. But it is going to take some time to get it all done. We have to roll the base cabinets with a foam roller, because it's too much trouble to remove. Here are the first doors that got painted.

In between all of that I got the engine lower end buttoned up and painted. Still have to adjust the valves and install intake.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #861
shortbed70

I'm gettin ready to do the walkway myself especially after today with 2.5" of rain or more.....

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #862
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I charge $40.00 pr hr, and here in So Cal that's cheap. But I'm a sucker. I still charge them what I thing it should be worth, even though I spend a lot of time on it. Like today I took apart a pedal cluster, then wire wheeled it. Then I sand blasted it, primered it, and painted all the parts. Then put it all back together. What should I charge for that. It took me 4 hours. Should I charge the cheap bastard $160.00 for it? It doesn't sound right. I think around $50.00 would be fare. I loose!! And to top all that he will probably think that it's too much. At least I have work during these bad times.
Walk way looks nice Allan. I did the same thing with paving bricks. The wify was complaining about the dirt in the house. I also got side tracked by planting some fruit trees.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #863
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

glad you got the oil pump figured out
what type of tranny and rear gear are you goin with
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #864
70 Suburban
Rods

I dont remember did u weld up the seams in your hood.
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #865
Alan's Classic

Quote:
I charge $40.00 pr hr, and here in So Cal that's cheap. But I'm a sucker. I still charge them what I thing it should be worth, even though I spend a lot of time on it. Like today I took apart a pedal cluster, then wire wheeled it. Then I sand blasted it, primered it, and painted all the parts. Then put it all back together. What should I charge for that. It took me 4 hours. Should I charge the cheap bastard $160.00 for it? It doesn't sound right. I think around $50.00 would be fare. I loose!! And to top all that he will probably think that it's too much. At least I have work during these bad times.
Walk way looks nice Allan. I did the same thing with paving bricks. The wify was complaining about the dirt in the house. I also got side tracked by planting some fruit trees.
I agree with everything you said. Every situation I guess is different. I look at it like this. They come to us for a service. They have the option to do it them selves or pay the price. I know I sound like a hard A$$, but it's just the way I see it. Like on the Miata I gave the owner a choice. He could take the power mirrors apart (pita on miatas) or he could pay me to do it. He did it himself.

Quote:
glad you got the oil pump figured out
what type of tranny and rear gear are you goin with
I get to work this morning and Melling had sent me an email for me too call them. I had sent them an email with the new M-55 pump installed. I called them and he recommended that I didn't run that pump on a performance motor. He suggested that I run the 10553 pump. He said the M-55 pumps are prone to breaking. I told him my engine is balanced and is on rubber mounts and it is all together and painted now. I told him I will take my chances. Now that will always be in my mind everytime I stomp on it.

I will be running a TCI350 with a 2500 stall and a 3.42 eaton posi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
I dont remember did u weld up the seams in your hood.
I haven't done it yet, but I will when I get to that point.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #866
shrunken66stroker

a little red pin striping would look nice on those cabinets.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #867
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

it should be alright what hp numbers is it going to make
Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #868
70 Suburban
Rods

I just did my good yesterday. way e-zer than the bed...I think I am going to do the fenders too.. I like alot of what you have going on here. Giving me lots of inspiration and ideas to work with.. only problem is you inspired me so much I stopped working on my blazer.. I guess the grass is always greener.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #869
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker View Post
And don't forget the BILLET handles, or should I say CHROME handles.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 04-27-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #870
70 Suburban
Rods

opps hood I did my hood yesterday
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #871
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker View Post
Not a bad idea.

Quote:
it should be alright what hp numbers is it going to make
I would guess around 375 at the crank. I built it like Hotrod magazine did years ago and they got 400. When I had it in a 75 vette with a Turbo 350 and a 3.08 gear it felt like a dog. It never felt like I thought it should. It could have been the vette. The trans may have been wore out. We'll see when I run it in the truck.

Quote:
I just did my good yesterday. way e-zer than the bed...I think I am going to do the fenders too.. I like alot of what you have going on here. Giving me lots of inspiration and ideas to work with.. only problem is you inspired me so much I stopped working on my blazer.. I guess the grass is always greener.
Thanks, I've only got one bedside done so far. Still gotta do the hood and fenders. Concentrating on the cab and engine and trans right now. Not too mention the kitchen overhaul.......I mean restoration. You know why the grass is greener on the other side of the fence............The septic tank is over there.

Quote:
And don't forget the BILLET handles, or should I say CHROME handles.
I can't stand chrome.

Quote:
opps hood I did my hood yesterday
It took me a second, but I got it figured out.

Back too the kitchen I go. My wife has been doing alot of it, she is a big help.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #872
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post

Back too the kitchen I go. My wife has been doing alot of it, she is a big help.

Yea my wife helps too. She points and says "you missed a spot".
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 04-27-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #873
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Alan what factory gear came in your rear end. Mine has 4.10's and I want to change to a 3.42 but not sure if I can use my same housing.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #874
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

I got my frame in DP90, SD crossmember in, and motor and trans painted and put in. a lot of long hours for 3 days.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #875
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Your frame looks really good Ruffrida. Why don't you start a build thread? Or did I miss it that one?
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE: