The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Nice! Thanks a lot.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
1956cameo

The progress looks good. Those dust masks are worthless. Where I work they aren't allowed to be used unless you want to use them when no mask is needed at all (so whats the point).

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on the Blazer! It is looking awesome! You're getting really good at that body work stuff! I've had the same problem with grease and wax remover and my thought was the same as yours. Now I try to let that stuff flash for a while before I spray. Pretty annoying.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Bomp

Nice body work. Your gonna be done in no time at all.
I use a respirator. When I set up a temporary blast booth I use a positive pressure full face. Having a shovel full of dirt in your lungs isn't any fun.
Can't wait for the spray fest!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
The progress looks good. Those dust masks are worthless. Where I work they aren't allowed to be used unless you want to use them when no mask is needed at all (so whats the point).
I hear ya. I got them to make the wife happy. Time to rethink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work on the Blazer! It is looking awesome! You're getting really good at that body work stuff! I've had the same problem with grease and wax remover and my thought was the same as yours. Now I try to let that stuff flash for a while before I spray. Pretty annoying.
When I did my C-10 I was using brake cleaner to wipe down before spraying. It worked great and flashes off in seconds. Think I might go back to that unless its hot in the garage, like in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Nice body work. Your gonna be done in no time at all.
I use a respirator. When I set up a temporary blast booth I use a positive pressure full face. Having a shovel full of dirt in your lungs isn't any fun.
Can't wait for the spray fest!
4 hours in a respirator would suck. I think it would clog the filters pretty quick with the amount of dust too. I use one when I spray primer/paint and it works great for the fumes, not sure I'll use it for sanding though.

A positive pressure mask? Got a pic? Does that keep the lens from fogging up? Thats my biggest problem when I sandblast.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Bomp

I use one of these or something really similar. I also use tear aways so I can always have a clear view of what I'm working on.
It doesn't fog up and I don't end up with dirt filled lungs or paint spray in the eyes. Nothing like hackin up dirt clods in the shower and feelin like you still have half a lung full.
I modified mine a little bit cause their fresh air pump and stuff is a little bit more $$$ than what I could afford.
I use a different fresh air system and hose but it works great.

The initial cost is more but in the long run it saves money and your respiratory system doesn't get so hammered.

Diggin' your build!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
notsolo

This is what I use, (Also retro fitted full face mask on it instead of the crappy hood)www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=5
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Low Elco

x5 on the respirator. I've done so much dusty stuff over the years, I lock up anymore at the first smell of dust, esp. grinding Alum. I keep my old paint respirators and wear them. Yeah, it sucks, but I can breathe tomorrow, and actually, they stay in place a lot better than those dust mask things, and do a hell of a lot better job, if you want the particulates gone. Lookin' good!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Low Elco

Quality attracts quantity! Congrats on the views.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_nothing View Post
x12 on the respirator. Harbor freight has a 20 dollar-ish one that just covers your nose and mouth. It has to be more effective that the paper one

Your truck sure has come along way since this

Most sane ppl would have passed on that kind of work.... awesome job so far.
Man that was a long time ago. In a way, I did give up on that one. Nothing left of it here but the hood.

Here's what I wear during spraying, 3M I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Quality attracts quantity! Congrats on the views.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you seen whats on TV the past 10 years? The most popular shows are freaking train wrecks of humanity.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got back out to the garage to make some progress. Been a rough week. Not looking like paint by end of the month right now, but soon enough anyway.

Took the hood off, and the cowl cover, wiped everything down and sprayed with a qt of feather fill. Even with some acetone added that stuff can be a bear to flow. At the end, I had about half an ounce in the cup and it wouldn't spray. The screen at the button of the cup was clogged. Went past the pot life, which is relatively short for this product (55 min). Most other primers and paints I've used have like a 2-3 hour pot life or more.

Everything is now in black except the tailgate, which doesn't need anything but a scuff to prep it. So now its time to start sanding again and see where I'm at. Hopefully its good enough, but won't surprise me if it needs more work in some spots. The sanding blocks will show it eventually.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got a couple hours in the garage to start sanding again. Figured I'd start with the hood. I used 180-220 grit on a 16" long block. The biggest hurdle was the sandpaper getting clogged up super fast, like 20 seconds fast. Went to the body shop to see if I could get some tips. I was told to use less pressure, constantly blow off the paper with the air nozzle, and given a softer block to try out. What I think is happening is the start of sanding a new area clogs the paper, but as you get through it, that problem went away. PITA, but anyway, the hood is blocked out. Came out pretty flat eventually, but will need another coat of primer and resanded. Too many high spots showed up.

Thats it for tonight. Got a little snow storm rolling in and wanted to get the wifes truck in the garage. Should get more sanding done over the weekend.

Yeah for me!

Took this pic yesterday. It just caught my eye as looking kinda cool.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #13
Bomp

Your getting there. I've used a big flat paint mixing stick to slap the paper to free it up. That and a big blast of air.
Like the snow covered grill too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
Low Elco

Good plan to go wet 320 and up. A friend has a trickle hose on a mag base that works awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Did more sanding today, couple hours worth. About half way done with the passenger side. It's looking pretty good so far, but I think I'll need to spray another coat of primer down before the next round of sanding. There are just too many high areas that the block is revealing yet. Should be able to finish this side tomorrow, then spray it again for the final time before paint.

I know I've done a lot of work so far and should do as good a job as I can, but it just doesn't need to be that great. It's already straighter than any factory panels were new. Its about as good as my C-10 was. I'm not building a show truck here, so don't give me too much grief if I don't take to the next level. I'm getting seriously tired of this process and just want it done.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Hang in there, don't rush. You'll be sooooo much happier with the finished product if you out the time in now. You've hit the point when some guys give up and sell a project, but you don't strike me as "some guys."
Posted via Mobile Device

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
turp mcspray

If you're getting burnt out, step away and let it sit for a week or two, or whatever you need. You will never get it done and say "I wish I wouldn't have blocked as much, it's too straight". But after you get it done, and have a break from it you WILL say "I wish I would have blocked it one more time". I've been working on my blazer project for 4 1/2 years now, and I know what it's like to be soooooo close to paint! I go 100 miles an hour working on it, and it still isn't getting done fast enough!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
Hang in there, don't rush. You'll be sooooo much happier with the finished product if you out the time in now. You've hit the point when some guys give up and sell a project, but you don't strike me as "some guys."
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the encouragement. The fact of the matter is that it really is as straight as I want it, and then some. I'm not saying that I'm just gonna say the hell with it and spray it as is. But if I have a few spots that ain't quite perfect, it's close enough that most people would never notice it. There's no chance I'm giving up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
If you're getting burnt out, step away and let it sit for a week or two, or whatever you need. You will never get it done and say "I wish I wouldn't have blocked as much, it's too straight". But after you get it done, and have a break from it you WILL say "I wish I would have blocked it one more time". I've been working on my blazer project for 4 1/2 years now, and I know what it's like to be soooooo close to paint! I go 100 miles an hour working on it, and it still isn't getting done fast enough!
Not burned out, just f'ing bored. I'm not the type to take a break when I'm getting down to the end. I usually push harder. I'm going to end up blocking it one more time as it is. It's not where I hoped it would be at this time, and that's where the mounting frustration is coming from. I had hoped this was the end of spraying and sanding, but I have one more layer to go.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (Just watched part of Animal House )

It really is looking good. There are no major problems. I have bare metal on a couple spots the size of a dime. I have a few lows about the size of a quarter. Thats why I'll be spraying another coat and blocking again. I know it will be as good as I can do it at that point. Hell, it's gonna be fantastic! When you guys see this ex-junker with the paint, all cut and buffed and sparkling in the sunshine with the top off and the black accents, no one would ever believe it got there from what I started with for about $5000. Done in my home garage, and parked next to a corn field, and out in some guys backyard, and in the driveway. There will be no regrets.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I had to go back 5 pages to find my punch list. Latest total spent is still at $4322.

Punch list (in no particular order, * for priority items):
*finish body work on the outside
*Finish roll bar install
*tranny o-rings and kickdown cable
*change fluid in both differentials
*install windshield
*make sure wire for gas gauge is hooked up to sender
*lights, lights and more lights
*tranny cooler lines
*seat belts (have them)
*e-brake cable
Al's liner inside of tub (half way done)
inner fender tubs, repair, paint, install
rebuild vent windows
door glass, handles, locks, mirrors, etc.
mark/drill holes for single wall top in bed rails
Fab front and rear bumpers
electric fan install (got it)
plumb vac and oil gauges
seat bracket spacers
replace rear lift blocks with taller ones (need new u-bolts)
heater control cables and vents
rebuild carb
heater install (half way)
wiper washer pump
manual throttle
door panels, dash pad, visors, etc. (have them, need paint, cleaning, etc.)
stereo (radio in, need marine speakers and antenna)
paint (getting there, summit racing mayan gold metallic)

Future plans, as time and money and ability permit:
Long travel link suspension front and rear
lockers
rock sliders
roll cage
skid plates

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-23-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I won't blaim you for not getting it perfect. After all you do plan to wheel it so you already know what could happen to the sheet metal. And, like you said, it's a huge improvement over what it once was.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I finally finished blocking out the passenger side and whats the next thing I do? Add more filler

I'm a glutten for punishment.

Pics after the blocking...

Added some filler, couldn't leave well enough alone...

I'll knock the filler down, clean it all up again and spray some more primer. I'm just going to use the finer grits after that and get it ready to spray paint on. Then spin it around again and do the same to the driver side. Paint in March. I have a firm goal now. If it's not painted by the end of March I will be very disappointed in myself. It's just too close now to make excuses.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-28-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Bomp

Admire your determination. Looking good.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Keep at it man! It'll pay off in the end. If you keep nit picking it, you may have to buy a beater to build the wheeler out of.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Admire your determination. Looking good.
Thanks. It comes and goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Keep at it man! It'll pay off in the end. If you keep nit picking it, you may have to buy a beater to build the wheeler out of.
As bad of a case of the "might as well's" as you will ever see. No more beaters. (unless it's a really sweet deal )
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
No more beaters. (unless it's a really sweet deal )
That's funny. I tell myself the same thing.
1969 Chevy milk truck