The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Subscribed. Nice Progress! Graveyard Shift: Been there, done that...
Good to hear from you. I haven't seen you around for a while. Have you been working on other projects?
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
pdxhall

I didn't get as much done as I wanted this weekend but I managed to get the floor panel/inner rocker piece welded in that I've bee working on and started fitting up the inner kick panel patch to get welded in next.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
mark 66

nice job. looking good
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Good to hear from you. I haven't seen you around for a while. Have you been working on other projects?
Yep, the Minx is still in the works. Soon to test drive I was travelling quite a bit over the last year...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
theastronaut

Love the cut down bench-to-bucket idea! The floor patch looks great too, I've got to do the same repair to Goldilocks eventually. I like the way you're saving the outer rocker, much better than using repro parts. Keep up the great work!
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Love the cut down bench-to-bucket idea! The floor patch looks great too, I've got to do the same repair to Goldilocks eventually. I like the way you're saving the outer rocker, much better than using repro parts. Keep up the great work!
Thanks John, I'm going to pick up some bench seats hopefully tomorrow and I'll have enough pieces to do it up right. I just mocked this one up to see how the dimensions are going to work out. This cutting, fitting, and welding body panels is all new to me. I'm learning as I go.
I'm a big fan of your work and I've been following Goldilocks since you started her. Your attention to details is where I'm trying to get someday.

Here's what I did this afternoon. The kick panel is fitted and ready to weld in tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
theastronaut

Thanks man. Your panel fitment looks spot on! The kick panel patch panel looks good in the pics, any advise about getting them to fit? Looks like everything lines up well, would you use them again or did you have to do alot of work to make them fit?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Thanks man. Your panel fitment looks spot on! The kick panel patch panel looks good in the pics, any advise about getting them to fit? Looks like everything lines up well, would you use them again or did you have to do alot of work to make them fit?
Thanks, these panels fit very well. They're Triplus parts and I know a lot of repo parts are crap but these were the proper thickness and it took very little massaging to get them right. Maybe I was just lucky. The only thing I have found is that the bolt holes on both panels are a little off so if you go in to it with the idea of fittinig the panel and not the holes it's easier. They're close enough that I'll be able to drill them out a little when I bolt things together and it will be fine.
It would be nice to have the floor patch include the firewall seam but it's an easy piece to fab up if it's needed.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
theastronaut

That sounds great, I had to make that panel from scratch on the blue '65 and it was a pain, glad the repro's fit well!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Bomp

Don't know how I've missed this build so far. Did a full read and subscribed. Looks great and I'm trying to get to this stage were your at.
Great build
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
pdxhall

I got a little more done on the passenger side. I got the lower door pillar patch fitted, welded in and ground down, and drilled out the 4 bolt holes so they all line up correctly. Finished welding the inner rocker/floor panel along the vertical side, and started cleaning up and fitting the outer rocker. The outer rocker ended up having a couple of small places that I need to patch before it goes back on but the initial trial fit is great at the front and the rear is unchanged so it is fine. I also need to spray some epoxy primer on the bare stuff before the outer rocker goes back on. Then it's on to the driver side. I'm still looking for a driver side floor/firewall piece (toe board) so I don't have to fab one up. If anybody has a cab they are cutting up or parting out that has a rust free floor section that I can get a patch from, let me know.
I'll post some more pix soon.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I love how you've adapted that horn button. Gives a real vintage quality to the wheel.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I love how you've adapted that horn button. Gives a real vintage quality to the wheel.
Thanks Mark, When I got the wheel the original horn button (plastic) was cracked so I was looking for a replacement. I found this one on ebay and decided to give it a try. A little modification and it fit great.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
Iron-Butt
454 club

nice build
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Butt View Post
nice build
Thanks. It's a long journey but I'm having fun.

Here are a few pics of my cab lights and steering wheel all epoxy primered and the test fit of the outer rocker. I've got one more small spot rusting from the inside that I'll patch and then I'll tack it in and test fit the door.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
Bomp

Really like your build. After my cab is back together I'm going to do the floor sections. Ive read your post over and over again and again. You really got things turning out NICE.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
pdxhall

Well, I had to go to page 3 to find my thread so I guess I've went too long without an update. Anybody following is going to start thinking I"m never going to get this passenger side rocker on but I think I'm finally ready. I have put more time on this than if I'd just bought a new after market rocker and massaged it to fit. I had a couple of places that were pitted that I just couldn't let go and with my lack of skill at welding it has taken me some time. I also coated the inside areas of the inner and outer rockers with rust encapsulator for protectiion and then weld-thru primer on the areas to be welded. The primer is drying and I'm out of time for this weekend. I go to work tomorrow so I will start the final welding on Wednesday. If things keep taking me this long to do I'm never going to get Sanity done. I need to step it up!
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
66farmer

Looking good
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #19
Lokin4AReason

what did the steering column come out of ?
also nice progress on the truck ....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
pdxhall

Thanks, Bomp.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
DoubleL

.....and we got plenty of rainy season here!

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835095
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Excellent work on the floors and rockers, I wish I had your welding skills. That steering wheel is going to look great when its finished.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
pdxhall

Mark, you probably have my welding skills and just don't know it. I just got a welder, bought a book, watched u-tube videos, and started practicing. I'm a long way from knowing what I'm doing, that's why it takes me so d#$m long to get anything done. With your skills, I'm sure you'd do great.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
pdxhall

Just a quick update. I worked a lot on Sanity this weekend but I'm still just as crazy as ever. I know I didn't save any time on reusing my original outer rocker but at least it's good steel and I knew it fit when I took it off. But, it took a lot of patching and fitting all the same. Most of the spot weld holes I drilled when I took it off were just welded back up on installation but I had to cut and fit several small patches to get everything aligned properly. The factory assembly on these trucks leaves something to be desired in many areas. I am smoothing the rocker into the door posts for a cleaner look so that also took extra time. I am finally finished and I hung the door again for one last fit check and it is good. I'll post some pictures later. Now I need to get busy on the drivers side and tear into it and see what patch panels I need to order. I know the floor is worse and the kick panel is about the same. The outer rocker looks good on the outside but I'll have to see when I get it off if it is reusable. No idea on the inner rocker or front lower door panel until it's apart.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #25
mark 66

Congrats on finishing up on the one side.The other will be a walk in the park.cant wait to see the pics. maybe that will get me going again on ours.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote