The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2018, 03:07 AM   #1
Scottish58chev

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Seriously impressed with how fast you have got to this stage, i'm 3 years in and still not back on my wheels lol. Good job man.
Scottish58chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
Advanced Design

That looks really good! Soda blasting then clear coating the aluminum components gives them a very nice look.

You mentioned you still have to replace the ball joints. Is that just to have new ones? Or is it necessary as a part of the kit application? Just curious.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
QBRacing

just to have new ones ... I ordered them ages ago with new hubs as well. figured I might as well do them then they are done for another 10-15 years...
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
QBRacing

This won't be a long update as I haven't really had the chance to do much with the truck over the last month.

I have however ordered the new C5 Corvette front vented and slotted rotors and some C5 calipers to match. (I dont like drilled as ive had them split before). In the rear I opted to stay with a vented and slotted C4 rotor setup and simply replace with new brake pads and shoes as well as new hubs.
I have also ordered the four-wheel disc version of the under cab brake booster / Brake Master System.
finally i ordered the 64 to 68 Mustang EFI fuel tank including 600 horsepower fuel pump and 0-90 ohm GM sender unit.

This should all be here in New Zealand by the end of March.

Until then today I decided to get in and do some work on the cab. i laid it back on to the rear panel and hit the underside of the cab with a rubberised underbody sealant to further protect it from the crap weather we sometimes get over here in New Zealand
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
QBRacing

I'll do a write up next post.
too hard on the phone
just a few pics of what I've done recently
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
QBRacing

Ok - Update time again.

Youtube link for those that cant be bothered reading the below :P

As I mentioned a few posts ago I have ordered some new stuff which was delayed in leaving and isn't now due to June. Grrrr. Being that I cant leave well enough alone I have ...

1) removed the rear x-member in preparation for the new tank and once thats fitted I will b able to remount the rear xmember at the rear.

2) decided I didn't like the missing gear box x-member so I located the brackets that had been cut by the previous owner, trimmed them up and had a flat plate welded to them. I have bolted them back in and once I make the gusset it will be a removable brace to strengthen the middle of the chassis.

3) began fabricating the front brace for lack of better wording. Because I removed the old engine x-member (didnt have too but wanted too) I have decided to brace between the old front leaf mounts and k frame back to one of the old rivet points. mainly to add so strength to the front again and keep everything aligned and square.

4) replaced the upper and lower ball joints and installed the new hubs. I have made up the bracket to adapt the c4 spindle to the c5 caliper and once thats test fitted it can be painted.

----

thats about it I think... Now I just have to wait until June for all my parts to arrive.

Q
Old 05-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Advanced Design

Nice work and good progress. Hopefully early June for parts? Spoiled here with two day shipping from Jegs.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
QBRacing

Finally received all my parts from the freight forwarder including

C5 front vented and slotted rotors
C5 front Calipers
C5 front Pads
C4 rear vented and slotted rotors
C4 rear hubs
C4 rear pads
C4 rear shoes
CPP brake master and booster setup
66-68 Mustang (Tanks Inc) EFI tank
Gm 0-90 sender
600hp fuel pump
body mounting stuff......

Video of everything that arrived

Next week I will be looking after a garage for a mate while he is on holiday so i will have access to a hoist. I plan to do the tank and rear brakes then to make it a bit easier.

You know me ... im sure to a make a video if something doesn't work as planned.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
QBRacing

forgot the pics for those that don't want to watch youtubes
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 AM   #10
QBRacing

Went to go and mount the C5 rotors and calipers today and hit a snag ......

Never checked when I received the front kit when i was shipped it last year and its an 84 C4 Corvette front end ..... NOOOOOOOO. Im 90% sure I asked for 85-87 but ive changed ISP's and cant find my old emails to hit Don up about it.

Regardless of that, I located an 85 LH front spindle (probably the only spare one in New Zealand and it was free) so I snapped it up. now to find a RHS one...

-----------

As you can see the 85 is slightly different to the 84. (refer attached image)

The 85 has 14mm mounting holes vs the 84's 12mm holes
The 85 slightly rebates from the hub mounting face vs the 84's flat face.
I know it not much but those 3mm are needed for the bracket/spacer to mount the C5 caliper which is 8-9mm thick.

If I cant find one local I guess Ill have to scour craigslist and ebay.

If i can find someone local with some 86-87s then ill just grab them as they are the same as 85s but with ABS holes (which i can blank).

So Annoying.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
QBRacing

So Don at Flatout has come to the rescue for me again .... He has shipped a RH 85 spindle to my forwarder and ill see it in about a month, sigh.

Made this video to show everyone how easy it actually is to do a big brake upgrade from a C4 Corvette to C5 Corvette brakes (reading the corvette forums about the upgrade could make a man could go crazy) .....

I designed some brackets to hold the fuel tank in place and if I get time this weekend I might try to fit it all up (but a have access to a hoist next week so it may wait till then

Q
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
murd969

Brakes look good. I did C4 to C6 Z06 brakes. They are much better than the C4 stuff.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #13
QBRacing

Murd969 -
I thought about that as well as the extra pistons look cool but in the end cost outweighed looks as the c6 calipers are so expensive

That said I got in and mounted up the 66-68 Mustang fuel tank today (Tanks Inc MU-HT). It was so easy and looks so cool in there.

Here is Another VIDEO of how I did it exactly.

Q
Old 06-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
murd969

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post
Murd969 -
I thought about that as well as the extra pistons look cool but in the end cost outweighed looks as the c6 calipers are so expensive

That said I got in and mounted up the 66-68 Mustang fuel tank today (Tanks Inc MU-HT). It was so easy and looks so cool in there.

Here is Another VIDEO of how I did it exactly.

Q
They are pricey. Especially after you get the brackets for the front and the custom brackets for the rear from Street Shop in Alabama.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #15
QBRacing

for the rest of this week I'm shop sitting for a mate. that means hoist access and boy does that speed stuff up.

today I got the cab mounted back on the chassis (almost). one of my captive nuts for the rear is missing. Now I just think I'll cut off the cages and use a panel washer and nyloc on it. that's tomorrow's job.

also stripped down both rear hubs and brakes. got the drivers side back together with new hubs , rear shoes, vented and slotted rotors and new pads. then i stripped it all down and painted all the brackets and calipers black. will reassemble tomorrow once paint drys.

on the passenger side i need to make a running repair as the small metal plate for the lower part of the handbrake shoe was broken. no chance of getting another one over here so im getting that welded tomorrow. ive already painted the brackets and calipers for this side so it should be assembly time tomorrow.

fabricated up the front chassis support gusset as I'm calling it. basically a tubular k frame to strengthen the front end after removing the factory cross member. gave that to the welder with the broken brake bracket so should get that back tomorrow too.

mounted the brake pedal intermediate section. no issues there.

drank his piss then come home.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #16
QBRacing

just another quick progress update (with pics this time)

C5 Corvette calipers and rotors fitted (1 side at least). mount the other side when the 85 spindle arrives in July...

Completed Flatout Engineering C4 Corvette front end. Also shows the newly made k-frame to strengthen the front end after removing the original x member

C4 Corvette rear end rebuilt. Haven't checked the Dana 44 internals yet but no clunking when manual turning..

66-68 mustang tank installed in the bed. so simple it's a must for anyone going EFI...

Finally im rebuilding the door hinges so I can remount and align them to the cab which is now refitted to the chassis

I have a video which I'll upload later
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #17
GreasyLikeaBurger

Where are you planning to put the filler neck at? In the bed, or out the side of the bed?
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:32 AM   #18
QBRacing

I thinking easiest to go up through the bed but once I get a bed I may use a few 90 degree elbows to get it off to the side rather than the middle
Old 06-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #19
QBRacing

somethings u can get away with but anything suspension or steering needs to be checked. they don't want u to grind anything away then cover it up basically
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #20
QBRacing

so did some more on the truck in the last week.

tried to remove the rear wellside panel only to find it was welded in a number of places as well as bolted. ended up just giving it a por15 coat in place and just spraying some rubberized underbody up into the underside of it.

got in and sanded the dash and firewall in prep for some filler... just a skim to help hide the welded in spots.

got in and actually applied the filler.... now for the messy bit..
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #21
QBRacing

oh.... and in the last few days I ordered an 88-92 S10 column, 4at, tilt, non intermittent wiper (cruise if possible).

I also hit up "classic parts Murika" and ordered a wiring harness, rear led lights, interior light, brake and clutch gromets, and some other random switches that don't come in the wiring kit.

Rockauto are sending me some new brakes hoses (front and rear) and some handbrake cables

by the time that all arrives I should have primed and painted the inside of the cab so can get it all wired and rolling and stopping under it's own power.....

then to start on the wellside....
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #22
Advanced Design

Good to see the progress. How long will it take the ordered parts to arrive?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #23
58 pache

Really nice progress so far. i'm planning on the C4 suspension myself, As soon as i find the vette parts.
58 pache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #24
QBRacing

You could try and find all the bits yourself or find a wreck to some but I just asked if Don could source it and he did. I would have to check what he charged me now but I did pay a bit more for the dana44 rear
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #25
wfojon
Chevy guy

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. It has given me the courage to start my own.
I'm doing a 57 short bed and I bought a 94 C4 that had the interior burned out but didn't burn through or catch the gas or engine. I paid $800 for the whole car. I'm in Cal too so just check Craigslist and you'll find a bunch of C4's. I have the rear done and next week I'll start on the front. I'm very impressed with the kit from Flatout and this build thread.
Thanks again for the build thread!
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote