The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #76
96Indyram

Re: You shouldn't have but it worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT
Fuel pump failed just down the street from home on a 72 Catalna that I had in high school. I walked to the house and got a can of gas, walked back to the car, had my girlfriend drive it with the hood up whole I sat on the fender pouring gas into the carb. Got a fuel pump the next day.

We (my father and I ) was a little farther from home when my fuel pump went out on a old 79 f150.
We was lucky and had a small one gallon gas can in the back for the lawnmowers. my dad poured the gas into the windshield washer container, then pulled the lines from the hood and put them where they would shoot into the carb. push the squirter, start the truck, start driving home hitting the windshield washer button when it started to die.

I learned alot of neat stuff from my dad..
96Indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #77
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiaslim View Post
....but I did once see on a show a guy had a cut spark plug wire and he used a wet tree branch as a replacement. Apparently the current will travel thru the wet wood.
Now *that's* Flintstonian!

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #78
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

My third car was a '52 Chevy 2-door Deluxe (with doorposts).

Looked like this one (I stole from the web and then P-Shopped) when I was done dumping ALL my money from work as a laborer the summer between HS graduation and college.

My parents were pissed because every check from a real-man's salary went into painting it, brand new interior from the dash to the package tray, floor to headliner, in either gloss
black lacquer, carpet, or black naugahyde. Big steel wheels, reversed (a new thing back then) and painted white... with blackwalls.

Three on the tree was solid....but the IL6 smoked...so off to a place we used to have around the States called Automotive Engineering (this was 1964)...I think it was just a franchise
rip off for local shops to hang out a sign and get the benefit of national advertising and price fixing.

So, I dumped four weeks salary into a rebuild. at Automotive Engineering on Fourth and Lincoln in San Rafael, Ca.

It made two full trips to University of Nevada, Reno from my family home in Novato. I was really dumb. My parking off campus netted a ticket every day of the week.
Which I happily threw in the glove box.

I lived off campus, too. At a rooming house full of non-students, miscreants, people "taking the cure" (waiting out the six-week residency required for a divorce),
working stiffs, drunken grandmothers, and gamblers out on their luck.

Third trip from home, I was dropping off a friend at Sac State on the way back to Reno and an Automotively Un-Engineered piston and rod went bye-bye.
Of course, they laughed at a seventeen-year-old's trying to collect on their sheety guarantee.

I took the bus the rest of the way "home" to Reno.

Two brothers, Dept. of Nevada Transportation road workers that had lived for over two years at my Reno home, Scotty's Guest House, offered to tow the Chevy to Reno from Sacramento
for gas money. On the trip back to the flop house, the younger brother and I discussed a sale to him...and agreed to a price of $375. About an average month's salary for a real person back then.

He gave me $75 to bind the deal with the rest coming the next day. I gave him the pink slip. I forgot about the tickets. Back then, the tickets went with the car...but I wasn't thinking
about that. It was only paper to me.

The next morning, they were both gone. So was the car. Poof!!!!! Thin air.

I heard, some years later, that they ran away to Redding, CA. Somehow, I felt avenged for my $300 loss. No way he was going to re-register that car in California without paying some
big bucks in back ticket fees.

And, that car taught me:

1)... to never dump too much money into something that could go south...
Oops! Check that! I didn't learn that! RAT proves that point;

2) No money, no pink slip;

3) Trust only with verification. At least when it comes to material stuff.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 06-04-2014 at 10:49 PM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:38 AM   #79
70Custom10Nut

Used JB Weld on my radiator to fix a bunch of pin holes that had corroded through. That was in 1998. Never leaked a bit till I replaced the radiator last fall, because the bottom finally rotted out. Never intended for it to be a long term fix, but as we all know "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". The JB Weld repair? Still sealed.
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #80
Fatherof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Indyram View Post
We (my father and I ) was a little farther from home when my fuel pump went out on a old 79 f150.
We was lucky and had a small one gallon gas can in the back for the lawnmowers. my dad poured the gas into the windshield washer container, then pulled the lines from the hood and put them where they would shoot into the carb. push the squirter, start the truck, start driving home hitting the windshield washer button when it started to die.

I learned alot of neat stuff from my dad..
Love this! I assume the hose from the washer was filling the float bowl, not going straight in the venturi?
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #81
96Indyram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof3 View Post
Love this! I assume the hose from the washer was filling the float bowl, not going straight in the venturi?
I actually think he had them shooting into the venturi, but I agree ... going into the float bowl would have worked much better. it had the 300cid straight 6 with a 1 barrel carb so it didn't take much to keep it running to get us home.
96Indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #82
Old Truck Man

Here are pictures of my cobbled together homebuilt old wrecker. It was a 64 chev 3/4 ton. 250 six granny 4 speed. I moved unblieveably heavy loads with it. The 66 bus still has the 292 engine & drivetrain and it was filled with parts. I pulled it three miles from my old place to my corner. I placed the Front wheels of the bus on a homebuilt dolly to keep from pulling wheelies. the old international 2 ton I just carried it on the tow sling. We used the rig for ten years and drug hundreds of vehicles around. I took it to verasallies mo and brought back a 51 chev sedan delivery. went to Noxapader Miss and towed home a 55 GMC Pk.
Attached Images

Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote