The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
ricott

Re: 55 TF Stretched Cab/Fleetside/LSx/Trailblazer Frame

Dug, to answer your question, I plan to use a short wheelbase Trailblazer tank. I thought the long wheelbase probably would not fit after shortening the frame by several inches. The fuel pump assembly should have two connectors on it, one for the pump/fuel gage, and a second that is the "tank pressure" sensor. The third set of wires goes to the fuel vapor filter system. The tank pressure and the fuel vapor system work with the switch on the top of the intake manifold. When the pressure gets to a certain point, the PCM triggers the intake manifold switch which opens and pulls some of the gas vapor from the fuel tank. I plan to run this part of the emissions system to (hopefully) eliminate the gas smell - but it can easily be programmed out (we did that on the GTO).

One big issue with using the stock canister type fuel pump is the fuel level sending unit. From what I recall, after around 2000 GM began using a sending unit that sends its signal to the Body Control Module, the BCM then "translates" the information and sends it to the fuel gage. An aftermarket (or traditional ) fuel gage will not work with the signal. I have thought of two possible solutions: 1) graft an aftermarket fuel sending unit into the fuel pump canister, but clearances are tight getting these pumps into the tank, or 2) find a fuel pump canister from a 1998 (or possibly) a 1999 Camaro. They look like they would work, and the 1998 pump still powers the fuel gage independently of the BCM.

Since you are a lot closer to having to deal with this issue, let me know your thoughts.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
dug224

....or, 3) don't have a fuel gauge and never pass a gas station. Thanks for the lesson. No matter what, if I understand you correctly, if I keep the factory system in tact in the PCM, the 5.3 will run. The (empty) fuel tank is a breeze to drop so whatever the end solution is, it won't be that much rework. Hopefully, since you did the GTO, someone is producing a gauge that reads this modern signal.

Still struggling to find the TAC and gas pedal (with connectors). I got close the other day and when I got ready to pull the trigger, the guy said he would have to ask his boss if he could cut the connectors. Can't imagine them selling the wiring harness out of an '04 T.B.. Will call them back today. According to what I have read, the '03 and '04 5.3 LM4's require gas pedal part #15145758 and T.A.C. AC Delco part # 12588922. Does not appear to be much interchangeability. Once I get these in hand, the PCM is off to the re-flasher. Did you re-flash the 6.0 in the GTO or did you pay someone? dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
ricott

All you really have to have is the fuel pump wires (hot and ground) hooked up for your truck to run. The other stuff just makes life more pleasant. I had Jesse at wait4me reflash the GTO computer (from a 2001 Silverado to a 2000 Camaro/6 speed manuel). Because the GTO was a mash up of parts (truck manifold/injectors/MAS instead of the Camaro parts), I had to use a local tuner to ultimately get the car to run right. Since you are using a complete trailblazer system, a mail order tune for that car should be all you need. Good luck, I can’t wait to see the video of your running!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Kim57

Coming along real nicely.
Kim
Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Purcell69

Very impressive Ricky! I'd vote for the '59 dash as well. It has so much potential. My hat is off to you. When I first started playing with my'57 years ago, (about 20), I had envisioned an extended cab. I have the wisdom to know I lack the skills to pull it off, so I am enjoying watching your handywork. Subscribed.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
ricott

Thanks Kim and Joe for your comments - as others have said, it helps keep us motivated when we get feedback from fellow enthusiasts. I hope to get back on the truck this weekend - life (and a wife) kept me out of the garage last weekend. I'm really itching to get started melding the cab to the floor. I also sent my computer (out of a 01 pickup) out to be reflashed as a camaro/six speed manuel. I'm off for a week in June and I want to see if I can make it run that week.

Last edited by ricott; 05-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
ricott

The latest issue I’m dealing with is setting the truck to its final ride height. Right now (without any weight on the frame) the Trailblazer suspension is fully extended. From two reference points on the front end, the number (fully extended) is 14 5/8 Inches. My Wife’s V8 Envoy, at the same reference points, is 13 inches. I have decided that I want to adjust the suspension ride height down to the 13 inch range before continuing the mockup of the cab. I pulled the front struts/springs from my frame, then used a hacksaw to cut a hole in each strut. THE STRUTS ARE FILLED WITH OIL AND 300 psi OF NITROGEN – you should never use a flame to cut these!!! The small hole released the nitrogen (and some of the oil) that was under pressure.

I then cut the bottoms of the struts to use for my adjusters. Below is a picture of the finished “adjuster” After installing these I set the final suspension height to 13 inches (using my reference points).

While I had the front struts out, I installed my V8 frame motor mounts.

I also pulled the 6.0 engine out of the corner. I still need to fab the rear adjusters (maybe over memorial weekend).

Once I have the ride height set, I will begin mating the Task Force cab and Trailblazer frame. As always, more to come.

Ricky

Time spent on Saturday, May 17: 4 hours. Total time: 75
Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
dug224

You're out of control...dug
Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
ricott

Well the best laid plans. I had vacation scheduled last week (and planned to work all week on the truck), but work continues to get in the way and I had to put that off until next month. On top of that, the GTO got backed into on the Driver's Quarter/door. After a week of back and forth with State Farm (other person's insurance), the insurance check hit my account yesterday. They estimated 57 hours to fix the car - we will see.

I started on it today, so the truck is again on hold until the GTO is fixed.

I worked on it 5 hours today - and it was pleased with the progress.

The Quarter is pulling out nicely.

I do want it completed by July 10 - because I plan to take it to Good-Guys Columbus that day. As always, more to come.

Ricky

Last edited by ricott; 06-14-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #10
hotrod1
56 - autocross

can you explain how you did it? Looks like you welded a piece of metal to the dent area for pulling, is that correct?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
can you explain how you did it? Looks like you welded a piece of metal to the dent area for pulling, is that correct?
Yes, I welded a small piece of metal (actually a number or pieces) to the affected area. I am using the techniques laid out in a small book called "Metal Bumping". It is a handy guide and works quite well. Their method uses a hammer and dolly, and has you begin at the last damage, and work your way back (you pull the dent in reverse order from how it was created). The dent folds back out and, if done correctly, can result in minumal bodywork. The quarter was so damaged that I was unable to get at it with the hammer and dolly on this round, but I hope to take Tuesday off and get this close.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #12
dug224

Man!!! How fast was the guy backing up?? Working on one you already had finished is not as fun as a new project. Keep us posted on the manhours.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Man!!! How fast was the guy backing up?? Working on one you already had finished is not as fun as a new project. Keep us posted on the manhours.
Actually it was a college age girl in an XTerra. My son called from school and said I wouldn't believe what happened. What I couldn't believe was she didn't cut and run - props to her for doing the right thing! You are so right about a redo. I just wanted to work on the "new" project (my truck), but several body shops would not take the GTO, and the one that said yes said it would not be complete until August 1, so I figured I would do the work and be done with it. Eric is coming up to help me next weekend.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Kim57

That sucks.
Was the guy driving a semi?
That's one huge dent.
Kim
Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
Bomp

Sorry to see all the damage to the GTO.
By the looks of what you've done so far, the right guy is doing the repair.
I will have to check out that book ,"Metal Bumping", sounds like a few good tips are in there.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
ricott

Took this afternoon off and got the quarter almost completely pulled out. There is still a dent in front of the wheel well, but that should come out pretty quickly this weekend. Saturday I hope to make the final pass on the sheet metal. There will be some metal shrinking going on to get it where minimal body filler will be needed. I hope to get it close enough on the bulk of the panel to just use Slick Sand - but the part at the top of the door will need filler.

I have 10 hours pulling this to this point. As always, more to come.

Ricky
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
Baldeagle SR

Looks good. How do you plan on shrinking the metal? Thanks Rich
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle SR View Post
Looks good. How do you plan on shrinking the metal? Thanks Rich
I use a #2 tip on my Aceletene tourch. I heat a spot cherry red about the size of a nickle, then using the hammer and dolly strike the center part of the heated area, next work around the heated area with the Hammer/dolly. last step is to cool the area with water (or you can air cool it - it just takes longer). I think it will take 20 to 30 spots to get the affected area where I want it.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #19
dug224

Save some of the fun for you son! dug
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #20
Baldeagle SR

Thanks for the info on shrinking. Rich
my build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576185
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #21
dsraven

hey guys, post up some pics of sheet metal work. I am stalled out since feb and need a kick start. was hopefully gonna get going again today but the work phone just never stops. gotta learn to say NO. ha ha. oh well,a couple of brake jobs and I'll be back at it, hopefully.
dennis
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
Low Elco

The Key to Metal Bumping. Here's the link- Nice work!

Martin BFB The Key to Metal Bumping Manual... Martin BFB The Key to Metal Bumping Manual...
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
ricott

Thanks Low Elco for posting that link. That is a great little book and the results are obtainable if you just take your time and think it through. I hadn't really planned to post additional pictures of the GTO, I just wanted those that follow these builds to know I wasn't sitting at home watching TV instead of working on my truck in the garage. Since my last post I've only worked on the car for an additional 3 hours (moving my college age daughter from one apt to another, ect, ect!!!). But I think that is all behind me now. I'm off all of next week, so beginning Saturday evening I will post a picture of the status each day (mostly to hold me accountable), through next Thursday. I would like to have the car in final primer by next Thursday (before we take off for the 4th).
Insurance Co estimate to fix (time): 57.5 hours
Total time to date: 13 hours

Ricky

Last edited by ricott; 06-25-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #24
shadow1967

Sorry to see your bad luck. Good luck for Columbus deadline. I save a link to your GTO build for when I get to mine.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #25
Bomp

You're a better man than me on working a large area.
I'd a cut out a big chunk of it and messed it all up with a patch.
Following your thread I bought that Metal Bumping book and have since re-watched all the "favorited" vids on YT.
Your build has again got me learning new things or at least a good refresher course. It keeping me keep my game up.
Thanks.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote