The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #76
COBALT

Re: Sad day indeed....wrecked the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcoaster View Post
...pay $300 for a lawyer, Jeannie, and have her do the fighting for you. You will not regret it... www.mucklestone.com....
I'll think about it. Thanks again.

PM sent.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 10-17-2009 at 05:21 AM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #77
COBALT

Update:

Contacted Mucklestone, and explained the case. They'll happily take it on for $350 flat. I called the other insurance company to file a claim and they already had one. They took down my info, and the next day I had a guy from their adjuster/appraiser look at my truck for damage. I also got my court date for the pre-hearing to contest the citation. So basically I have everything the lawyer needs to help me out.

On the insurance side of things I have to compile and hand over a list of all of the things I've done to my truck since I bought it. Very few of you probably remember but it was actually salvaged out of a hay field in 2001. Hardly drivable I rebuilt just about everything except the body. I totaled it up today and....wow: $9000 worth of stuff. I've been busy.

Anyway, I probably forgot a few things, or over-estimated on others, so it most likely comes out even in the end. We'll wait and see what they decide.

Just curious: what's the process if they (whoever) decides to total my truck? I realize they pay me for the "value", but then I buy the truck back from them? For how much? I suppose I have to fix the truck and go get a new title from the state after an inspection??? Just not clear on all of that.
Seattle, WA.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #78
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

IF they total it, they will offer you a buyback for whatever they want to charge you. Could be 200 bucks, could be 75% of the check they hand you.
As far as getting it retitled, you'll want to talk to your DMV before you spend another penny. I would take any info from other sources and consider it hear-say, and not as fact, unless they have been through this, and in YOUR state.
All I'll say about the way they do it here, is it is a total PATA.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #79
70rs/ss

Agree w/LHM, in AZ they call around and get a salvaged value by calling wrecking yards, then sell it back to you for the highest offer ($200 sounds about right). Then it is a matter of an inspection (to verify it is safe to put back on the road) and in AZ they issue a salvage title. Really not a big PIA, but deffinately an ordeal!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #80
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT View Post
In the mean time I have to go fight U-haul now. I tried tracking down a trailer on Monday morning for that same day. They made a reservation for me, but couldn't tell me where the trailer would be, and said someone would call within the hour. I didn't have time for that so I found one locally at a local rental place. I never got a phone call.

Today I get a $50 charge from U-haul as a "cancellation fee" on my credit card. They're giving me the brush-off.
I just want to say that U-haul sucks they pulled some stupid S like that on me. I got a car dolly to get a Camaro home from puyallup. I brought it back and dropped it off, turned in the paperwork, and left. Well apparently some one ran into it after i dropped it off and dented it. Apparently it is my responsibility until they "accept" it. So they charged me another $200 for damages. I even spoke to their VP and he said that it is written in the contract and I have to pay. F U-hual! they suck.

OK now that I'm done with that, I'm a criminal justice student and I just asked my teacher who is a retired officer of 27 years what he thought. He said that you should take it to court and hope that you get a judge in a good mood that day. Apparently your not suppose to be in that lane for more than one block. But there aren't any signs that say you must turn, so...... I'm not saying you were wrong or anything like that. It sucks driving down there it gets confusing. Either way it looks like it was her fault. I'm hoping for the best for you. Good luck, and if you have any questions about legalities I will do my best to help and find the answer for you.

Sorry about your truck. It's sucks to see something like that.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350

Last edited by nickp51chevy; 10-22-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: +
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #81
OLDIRON69

wish you the best of luck, Insurance co.'s can be a PITA!
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #82
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

My dad went through this with a '70 VW Bug he was restoring. He had all the reciepts for everything put into it (new engine, transaxle, brakes, etc. etc.) and a lady ran a red light in front of him. Bent the front beam back, fender/hood/etc. toast. He had about $6000 into it.

The other insurance company offered him $2300. He told them to pound sand. He fought for 7 months (luckily it wasn't his only DD) but in the end, they paid him $7000 and he got to keep the Bug as a salvage vehicle. This could drag out for a very long time, just so you know.

He gave it to me, I turned it into a Manx style dune buggy but had to get it inspected before CA DMV would reissue a new, salvage title.

As I also found out, some insurance companies will not insure a salvage titled vehicle or only give you basic liablility. Might want to check that too.

Good luck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 10-22-2009 at 04:07 PM.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #83
tim21391

well i guess its time to do a full frame resto right? i have a 72 grille inner and outer its got a little ding in the passenger side. but it could save u couple hundred on a new 69/70 grille
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #84
COBALT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim21391 View Post
well i guess its time to do a full frame resto right? i have a 72 grille inner and outer its got a little ding in the passenger side. but it could save u couple hundred on a new 69/70 grille
I have two original 69-70 grills (one mint and one with a couple of dents), so thanks anyway. I'm one of the freaks who like that grill over the 67-68 or later.

Anyway, thanks all. I think my shot is probably less than 50% getting this citation dismissed, or lessened, but I don't think I was doing anything intentional - that's what burns me. The other thing I can't understand is why the heck the other driver wasn't cited!

Citations, moving violations, speeding tickets - they used to be handed out in an attempt to insure public safety on the roads. Failing to observe signs - unless blatant (running a stop sign) wasn't necessarily something you would get a ticket over, because it wasn't putting the public in danger per se.

This proves that it isn't about public safety any more - the fact that they ticket me for being in the lane too early versus NOT ticketing someone who fails to yield to THREE lanes of oncoming traffic. If it was about public safety we would have AT LEAST both gotten a ticket.

Just my observation...

Anyway, who knows where the salvage/total, etc will go. I'm currently searching the boards here to get a better idea on dates. I wrote a lot of articles, posted some pics and some progress updates on things like the suspension, brake, engine and transmission stuff, so I gotta go get my head around when all of this happened.
Seattle, WA.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #85
tim21391

i hope u dont let this truck go
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #86
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

is there an update on this?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #87
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT View Post
Citations, moving violations, speeding tickets - they used to be handed out in an attempt to insure public safety on the roads. Failing to observe signs - unless blatant (running a stop sign) wasn't necessarily something you would get a ticket over, because it wasn't putting the public in danger per se.

This proves that it isn't about public safety any more - the fact that they ticket me for being in the lane too early versus NOT ticketing someone who fails to yield to THREE lanes of oncoming traffic. If it was about public safety we would have AT LEAST both gotten a ticket.
I have been saying stuff like this for years and always get roasted by a LEO or someone who thinks they know better. I see this time and again where it is all about the money they stand to make off the citizens.

Good luck with all of it. I get nervous every time I take my K5 out because people drive ridiculous anymore.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #88
fishingjred73

Anything new?

'68 Stepside (ground up in progress)

My 68 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...side-t956.html

'81 SWB "Pap paw" (Driver)

The 81 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...-swb-t960.html

Member of
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296290610747732/
fishingjred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #89
COBALT

Well, not worth really talking about. Pre-hearing on the infraction is on 11/16 (about a week). Other insurance company has contacted me by phone and letter indicating they're looking into it. Meanwhile my insurance company has told me they consider the other driver is at fault.

So it's a waiting game.
Seattle, WA.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #90
WIDESIDE72

Updates? All I can say is that I have been really fortunate and not had any accidents in a long time. It sounds like the laws in WA are screwed up to me. Here in Texas, at least from my experiences, it wouldnt make any difference what YOU were doing. If someone pulls into YOUR lane, it's THEIR fault.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 03-20-2010 at 10:19 AM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #91
dccarpenter

I read the whole thread and wish you the best on getting the citation dismissed and getting both a fair payout and retaining your truck. Based on a visual inspection of the area I don't think the ticket holds up to the 'beyond a reasonable doubt' standard we use in other proceedings...not that that applies here but still.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #92
mclairmo

I just read this whole thing and here in Ca, you cannot merge into a bike lane to make a right turn more than 200 feet from the intersection. My dad merged into a bike lane more than 200 feet from the intersection and a truck hit him in his left rear tire even though the other driver could have easily seen my dad coming had he bothered to look. My dad was cited and lost in court. He did not have a lawyer. Make sure you study the law on right turns in your area and that you are prepared for anything the other side may argue or that the police officer may bring up. Your lawyer should be prepared, but at a $350 flat fee, don't expect the lawyer to do a lot of prep for this case. The more you know and can tell your lawyer, the better. Also, try to get a written statement from your witness that is favorable to you. Good luck.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #93
suburbman72

Cool Re: Sad day indeed....wrecked the truck.

if its a chevy then it can be rebuilt no worries
suburbman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #94
OARNGESI

any updates
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #95
COBALT

Angry Re: Sad day indeed....wrecked the truck.

Yep, a bunch. The Christmas holidays slowed things down a bit.

Since my last update the legal services of Jeanie Mucklestone came in handy to say the least. They waived the pre-hearing on 11/16 and went right to the hearing on 12/9. Unfortunately the fact that I admitted to the officers on scene that I was in the bus lane (the truck was literally sitting in it - hard to lie about that one) AND the fact that I wasn't planning on turning on 128th basically means I was admitting to the infraction on the spot. That's in the accident report. It's hard to argue against that.

Worse yet this turns out to be a STATE and CITY infraction because the bus lane as part of the Metro system is cross-county. Which means the infraction goes on my driving record - basically for everyone to see for a long time.

However, the lawyer that represented me talked to the prosecutor (they assigned one because an accident was involved) before the hearing and explained the situation. They agreed to knock it down to a "traffic obey" city code violation, which means they drop the state part of the infraction. I had a 50-50 shot in getting a dismissal the next day - OR loosing all together and getting the state portion of the citation back on my record. Since my goal was to prevent this from impacting the liability portion of the accident I decided to agree to the infraction.

Back to the accident:

The other driver who was MIA for a LONG time (remember he wasn't the owner of the Honda Accord or the insured on the policy) couldn't be located by my insurance company for a statement. I had already given a recorded statement to their insurance company. I was worried for most of the Holidays that this was going to drag out, but found out just a couple of days ago from my insurance adjuster that they contacted the other driver and basically he admits fault all the way.

Now the annoying part. The other insurance company hasn't called, written, or offered any admittance of liability. BUT the other driver's car is ALREADY FIXED and back on the road. Their side of the claim is literally done. I asked my insurance adjuster why we haven't heard from them, and it turns out the adjuster for the other insurance company left Amica and went to work somewhere else - leaving a wake of claims that were in various states of decay.

So the "new guy" who gets my claim lost me in the shuffle, and hasn't been returning anyone's calls. My insurance company finally got ahold of him today by phone, and it sounds like he's finally willing to admit some liability. How much? Who knows. It may be as low as 50% but that's worse case.

So...I'm still waiting. I have a truck that needs a lot of fixing, and I'm not concerned about that. I just don't want it totaled and I want enough $$$ to fix it and help me deal with the cost of the doctor visit. In the mean time I pay a $134 fine to the city of Seattle and wait to find out what this other insurance company is going to do.

Remember this accident was on 10/11.
Seattle, WA.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #96
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Wow, that's a heck of a story.

My only experience with insurance was good. My wife's car was hit by a guy with geico collision. Her rear bumper was repainted within two days. I was unhappy with the color match, so we made them do it again, and even that only took an extra couple days, and we were offered a rental, but we declined because we had an extra vehicle, they even brought her car to her job for her when it was done.

So... so sorry you're being jerked around. Any idea what ins. company the other guy had?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #97
chevroletman223
Dan

i know how you feel, ive been there. hope it all works out for ya
1971 K20 longbox - 350, 4spd
1970 Chevelle, Tunnel ram set up 355, th350
1986 C30 Dually, 454/400
1967 Impala 4 door hardtop, Supernatural clone
1968 Camaro, 327, pwerglide
1967 camaro, numbers match 350, powerglide, bench seat car
1968 Nova, Numbers match 6cyl, powerglide
1968 Nova, 327, th350
1970 Impala, 350, Th350
1968 Impala, Numbers match 350, Th350
1971 Chevelle SS, Numbers match 350, muncie
chevroletman223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #98
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Sorry to hear about this, but glad you are ok. Hope you get your truck back on the road soon.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #99
COBALT

Angry Re: Sad day indeed....wrecked the truck.

Just found out today that Amica Insurance will not even accept 50% of the liability, so now it goes to arbitration. I'm being told that this can take months.
Seattle, WA.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #100
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

That sucks.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote