The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
RCbowtie69

Re: A real Unicorn, Finally 71' Cheyenne Super SWB BB

All i can say is SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! & the sound of a Big Block is priceless

Last edited by RCbowtie69; 02-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's threads like this that really bring out what the things are to look for when trying to find an original truck. Thanks for all the tips guys.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
It's threads like this that really bring out what the things are to look for when trying to find an original truck. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Also the truck isn't being bashed...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Wonder what it would look like with "full wheel" hubcaps and whitewalls?
Hmmm.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 02-01-2011 at 10:24 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Wonder what it woulod look like with "full wheel" hubcaps and whitewalls?
Hmmm.
worse
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
CircusWagonJim

I'm going to go off the page here and remind everyone Rene says this truck has been running around like this for 20 years- at that time (especially in California where PLENTY of the trucks were still running around) NO ONE I heard of at that time was to the point of cutting down long-bed frames- and you could actually find Short Bed Big Block trucks with less than a months effort. So I would bet that it was a what it appears to be with a few things added to an early restoration. I remember when people were restoring these in the mid-eighties and going to the dealer to buy EVERYTHING you needed except paint and seat covers.
At that time there also was not nearly as much interest in reading and preserving the glove box tag- if it was dirty- you removed it and painted the door with no real concern about documentation.
That's just a perspective of someone that lived through the era- not looking at it through todays eyes.
In fact I just remembered my dad's best friend had one of the RAREST trucks I have ever seen- a black on black '72 Cheyenne Stepside with a Big-Block, Auto, A/C, buckets, tilt, P/S, P/B, tach and shoulder harnesses from the factory. It was lowered from the day he took it off the lot- and one thing I remember him being proud of was the glove box door he had CHROMED! There goes the SPID! Just wasn't a big deal- they were trucks, not Corvettes.

Last edited by CircusWagonJim; 02-01-2011 at 10:47 PM.
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
C/10 King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusWagonJim View Post
I'm going to go off the page here and remind everyone Rene says this truck has been running around like this for 20 years- at that time (especially in California where PLENTY of the trucks were still running around) NO ONE I heard of at that time was to the point of cutting down long-bed frames- and you could actually find Short Bed Big Block trucks with less than a months effort. So I would bet that it was a what it appears to be with a few things added to an early restoration. I remember when people were restoring these in the mid-eighties and going to the dealer to buy EVERYTHING you needed except paint and seat covers.
At that time there also was not nearly as much interest in reading and preserving the glove box tag- if it was dirty- you removed it and painted the door with no real concern about documentation.
That's just a perspective of someone that lived through the era- not looking at it through todays eyes.
In fact I just remembered my dad's best friend had one of the RAREST trucks I have ever seen- a black on black '72 Cheyenne Stepside with a Big-Block, Auto, A/C, buckets, tilt, P/S, P/B, tach and shoulder harnesses from the factory. It was lowered from the day he took it off the lot- and one thing I remember him being proud of was the glove box door he had CHROMED! There goes the SPID! Just wasn't a big deal- they were trucks, not Corvettes.
Yeah!!!!! what he said!
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
C/10 King

Exclamation Re: A real Unicorn, Finally 71' Cheyenne Super SWB BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
Great find!! Too bad there is no SPID. Unless an original build sheet could be found inside the resale value will suffer due to lack of documentation of authenticity. I would have thought as many short bed C-10s you have had you would have found a factory SWB BB Cheyenne. I got lucky and found a '69 SWB BB a few months ago. The only thing that sucks about it is it's a Custom and not a CST. Good luck!
Bring me the head of the person, who said "I never had a Cheyenne BB SWB"
Attached Images

1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Wonder what it would look like with "full wheel" hubcaps and whitewalls?
Hmmm.
I think it would look awesome. It would sure look more original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
That's not the real deal. BBC '71s didn't have the interior mirror on the hump and the seat covers were embossed walrus hide. I guess there's a slim chance someone sat in the driver seat and wore it out and someone bumped their head on the mirror.

I agree with the things Circus Wagon Jim pointed out. Yes,it's hard to varify this truck w/o a SPID,but why such a flood of doubt? When you need a radiator you need one now if that's what you drive. Trucks could use freshening up by the '80s and back then there was virtually no reproduction.I don't believe you could buy a new Harrison radiator from GM even then. I know I was having mine re-cored if the tanks were good. Seat covers came out at the tail end of the '80s. Before than I'd have mine roll 'n' pleated. No attempt to look original. Just a necessary repair doing what I liked best to go with the hopped up look.Although many of us cherished these trucks as aging gems back then,the attention to keeping 100pt original wasn't prevalent. I always called them hybrids because nothing is taken from the all GM vibe...just a few moderate upgrades. I didn't really see any clones being built. If this truck isn't an authentic big block then it will have a small hump floor. If it's not authentic it won't have the dual exhaust hanger unless it was added. I removed glovebox doors to have them chromed. I saw a lot of rare trucks and never took pictures for proof. I asked a guy back in 1990 who was selling chromed doors w/woodgrain what guys do about the SPID on a rarer truck. He (Gary Terry) showed me a blank SPID and said you just use an IBM type style and make a new one. I realized then that any truck I saw in the future could be a clone. So,no SPID or 20+ year old reprint...I'm sure there are ways to make one yellowed and aged.

Look! This is the third page I've had to ask this on..."IS SHE SINGLE???"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-02-2011 at 09:19 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
DANTIP

My doubt is rooted in the missing SPID from a painted (original-looking) glove box door. It is difficult to imagine that someone took the time to remove and discard an original SPID (especially a very well equipped truck). People that make significant changes to trucks often remove the SPID (that is simply my experience).

Another point, MANY people are making "Tribute" SWB BB trucks, in fact I believe over 95% of the trucks I have seen advertised as SWB BB trucks are former small-block or former LWB BB trucks. There are Real-Deal trucks out there (I know of probably 8-10 of them) but they are EXTREMELY unusual.

I count myself in the dozen or so people on the board that could positively ID a real-deal SWB BB truck (especially a '72). The earlier years are a not as easy to confirm.

Last point, a VERY well done "Tribute" SWB BB truck does bring very good money (even in this economy). There have been 2 very nice absolutely non-original SWB BB trucks on Ebay within the past week that have bid in excess of $28k (one went to $33k and did not hit the reserve).
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
I think I know that truck (see post #91)!! Did it come out of Canada? I know that one is the REAL-DEAL!! I'll bet your VIN ends in 418.

Last edited by DANTIP; 02-02-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
1956cameo

Sorry C-10 King! Even in black!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that thing sounds awesome jim
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
CircusWagonJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
that thing sounds awesome jim
It was! Used to ride in the back to swapmeets with his son, who later became a dope head in the eighties and "stole" the truck one night and wrecked it pretty bad- his dad restored it and GAVE it to him! My dad NEVER gave me a car! And I never stole one and I helped restore all my dad's classic cars! It got beat up again- fixed again and as far as I know the dad has it in Arizona where he retired.
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Like I said,"Is she single????"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
leddzepp

There were no 72 half ton big block trucks assembled at the Fremont plant from what I have read.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
There were no 72 half ton big block trucks assembled at the Fremont plant from what I have read.
Posted via Mobile Device
Leddzepp, I had never heard that no '72 1/2 ton big block trucks were assembled at the Fremont plant but it makes a lot of sense. Did you know that '72 1/2 ton big block trucks were not able to be sold new in California? They did not meet California emission standards even with a smog pump. Stands to reason that they wouldn't produce them in Fremont.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Well,I'm one of those dozen and neither of us have seen the truck. One thing I still don't see being taken into account is the fact this truck has been in this form for at least 20 years. You've bee around,so put yourself back then and go by what you saw then. For me that adds a slant that I wouldn't give a truck built in the more recent past.. I have not only seen and done chroming on glovebox doors from well optioned trucks. I have also done and seen done paint when the SPID was removed. We hear of body shops losing them on member's trucks right here. Another point is if this person wanted this truck to be a convincing clone they could just as easily do a counterfeit SPID. The knowledge has been out there over 20 years. The fact that this truck is used as a driver by an 80ish year old woman plays into even more slant towards this truck being real. The clones (I don't use newfangled BJ terminology) that are being referred to seem to be ones done to sell.
I have a fairly rare '71 Fleetside K/10 SWB with original paint in the interior that I bought in '06 stashed. When I opened the glovebox door a month or so ago the SPID fell off. I guess I can artfully glue it back up. But,maybe if I restore it I'll just get a fresh one made or just leave it without one. I'll still have it to hand a buyer as proof. Maybe this person has the one that came off of this truck. We just don't know so many things. So,I won't argue yay or nay over what I think from seeing a few pictures. I am just wondering how some here can be so convinced with as little to go on as I do. I think it's "possible" this is an true BBC Cheyenne Super SWB and tend to believe it is likely. I also realize I could be wrong. I just don't have enough to go on to say for sure. It's definitely not 100% original.

Tim

Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
DANTIP

I'm going out on a limb and GUESSING the cab, engine, and transmission are from a 3/4 ton. I am also guessing that the VIN plate does not have original rivets through it or the VIN shows it's a 3/4 ton. I further guess that the dual exhaust brackets are not on the frame. Before someone else noticed the 3/4 ton brake booster and associated braces, I thought the SPID could have delaminated and became lost. Certainly, someone could have replaced the 1/2 ton booster and braces with 3/4 ton parts, but not likely. I suspect we are looking at a combination of trucks. I don't want to come across as too skeptical, but I have seen too many fakes and I would bet this is not authentic.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
abebummy26

That truck is most definitely drool worthy. One of my favorite colors in these trucks.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
abebummy26

I meant the copper actually but the black truck is awesome too.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
BadaSs_Cal

I saw a little old lady at Oreillys a few months ago with a very similar truck. I saw her drive off with it and thought that was the coolest little old lady ever.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The story I heard was that when GM casted the 396 blocks, the casting was bad and there were pin holes in the cylinder wall areas and they had to bore the cylinders .030 over to clean them up and not ruin their pile of blocks. Supposedly they had 10,000's of blocks they melted down and were tired of the wasted material, time, and money lost. If I remember correctly GM had to change their engine program due to emissions in 69 for 70 up, and the block casting was changed from the 66-69 blocks at this time.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 02-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Very nice looking truck!!!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

And just because it doesn't have an SPID dosen't mean it's not the real deal! I've got two 67's that look like there has never even been an SPID stuck on them, original paint and no old adhesive anywhere to be seen.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote