The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #76
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's upper door seal idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpavek View Post
Kevin, I was going to order for my 77 C20, thinking the only issue would be that the strips would probably not be the right length. However, now I am reading again what you wrote and get the idea you think the profiles you are working with now might not be the ones you come up with as best for my 77.
I can wait or I can take a chance with what you have now - what do you think?
Thanks.
--jd
I would wait! Once my next 2 shipments come in I will be checking the fit on a few different years so i can find out what will and will not work.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #77
72blue

Kevin,
This may be a bit off topic, but I feel you are the best to answer this question because of all your experimenting. I bought some seals for the doors form Steele Rubber Products upon request of my body man, and once they were installed, my doors will hardly close. I know this may be normal, but the amount of effort that it takes to close the door leaves me feeling I am going to dent the door where the handle mounts to the door itself (exterior) with such required force. I did not measure the gap between the door sealing surface and the lip on the cab, but they look uniform all the way around on the passenger side and slightly off on the driver side. I would say they are close to 3/16". Is this normal? I will get down the the body shop on Monday and measure if this helps answer. Is there a better seal to purchase that is not quite so "fat" allowing the door to not be damaged? Again I didn't measure the uncompressed thickness of the seal, but it is much much larger than the gap, more so than I believe it should be. I installed some door seals on my early bronco some years back and the doors seemed hard to close, but nothing like this; and after a month or two, they shut just fine and I never worried about it again. By the way, I purchased a set of your new seals and they are in transit and I was just getting ready to install them once they arrived. I am looking forward to having a "like new" old pickup.
Thanks

James
Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #78
Rokcrln

Are the seals that you have already put in stock seals from SRC or are they a different style? I know a lot of guys use buy 73 up and they are bigger and cause problems. Are yours glue on or push on? I have always got mine from LMC or ECE and they are the stock glue on and work fine (but leak ) around the tops. And yes if they are real hard to close you can end up with tweaks around the door handles.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #79
72blue

They are the glue on. I made sure they were the correct p/n and talked to the rep. They say I can send them back and get new ones, but I don't see what that would change...I may check out ECE.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #80
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blue View Post
They are the glue on. I made sure they were the correct p/n and talked to the rep. They say I can send them back and get new ones, but I don't see what that would change...I may check out ECE.
I know they make different compounds or rubber for weather stripping and maybe steel rubber uses a harder or a more solid compound.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #81
Rokcrln

Hey guys I just got confirmation that the product has shipped to me so I should have it in the next few days and will ship out the first 18 sets asap.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #82
72blue

Thanks Kevin for all your help, sorry for forcing in on your thread.

James.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #83
EighthD

I will take a set. Payment sent Thanks
EighthD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #84
Rokcrln

First 18 are shipping out in the morning, cut, instructions, boxed and labeled! Should have the second batch in a few days and 2 days after that they will be on their way out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #85
Ackattack

I'll have to get a set of these in a month or two when I get closer to getting on the road.

Since I shaved the drip rail, this may also prevent water getting in too (a concern of one of the body guys I talked to before it was painted)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #86
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I'll have to get a set of these in a month or two when I get closer to getting on the road.

Since I shaved the drip rail, this may also prevent water getting in too (a concern of one of the body guys I talked to before it was painted)
I would think it sure would help and with out your rain gutter it would also be quieter then one with.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #87
Rokcrln

Ok I got the call this morning and the second order is on it's way and should be here by the weekend. All out standing orders will ship out Monday (assuming it shows here on time) and I will have enough for about 6-10 more kits. This may be the last order at the current price as I was informed my cost will go up on the next order so if you want the lower cost (for the next 10 orders) order off this batch as the next order would be $10 more on trucks and $20 on the burbs (lost money on the current price) if the prices go up like I was told.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #88
Custom 68

Kevin, I am still on the list for this next order correct?
Thanks
Dave in Missouri
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #89
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Kevin, I am still on the list for this next order correct?
Thanks
Dave in Missouri
Yes and I have confirmation the material is "out for delivery" today so I should have it in hand by 3pm. I have about 14 kits to cut and pack but they should see the post office by Tuesday at the latest.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #90
Downtown

Kevin

You mentioned about the adhesive being nice and fresh. I need to do two trucks, but I know I won't be putting the seals on for a year maybe two. Do you think the seals will still stick okay after that long of time?

Mark

72 Super Cheyenne Longbed 350 49,000 original miles and My dad ordered it new

66 Chevy Caprice 2 dr

74 Honda CB750

New Palestine, IN
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #91
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Kevin

You mentioned about the adhesive being nice and fresh. I need to do two trucks, but I know I won't be putting the seals on for a year maybe two. Do you think the seals will still stick okay after that long of time?

Mark
I would not want to chance it if it were me.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #92
Rokcrln

Ok every order that was received as of today is boxed and in the mail! If for some reason someone does not receive their in about a week let me know.

So have any of the first orders been installed yet and if so what do you think? Every time I get in my truck I can not believe the difference but now the little bit of noise I get from my vent windows is bugging me but not enough to go 1 pc! I have never opened my vents since the day I put them in and never plan on doing so. What I might do is open them up and clean everything real well then put a small bead of silicone on the seals and shut them for good and see what difference that makes. I still do want to add power windows and then I think it will be complete.

I want to thank everyone who has ordered and wish the entire site a Merry Christmas!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-22-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #93
extd56

Will give you a call tomorrow hopefully to come over with the orange truck.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #94
Rokcrln

Sounds good you saved me a call Any time between 10 & 4

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #95
hdck07

What I might do is open them up and clean everything real well then put a small bead of silicone on the seals and shut them for good and see what difference that makes.

Please let us know how this works, I haven't started building my truck, but am looking at all the information I can before I start. Wind noise was something that I knew was going to bother me alot. Why not make 'em like a new truck, just with alot more style?
hdck07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #96
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post

I have never opened my vents since the day I put them in and never plan on doing so. What I might do is open them up and clean everything real well then put a small bead of silicone on the seals and shut them for good and see what difference that makes.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I did something sortof like this, I cleaned mine good then put some light oil on the window glass trim. I then put the silicone on the rubbers and closed the window. Once dried the oil did allow me to open teh window and clean that off I still had function of teh window even thou like you I never opened it. It somewhat helped but I still went 1 piece...
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #97
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Kevin

Mark
Same problem here. Currently no wind noise problem, as no engine in truck!

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 12-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #98
Mondo

Thumbs up Installed

Well dummy me, I missplaced the instructions but thought I remembered how they went. Anyway, found the instructions today and saw I couldn't of done it more wrong. Door seal on cab, cab on doors... put the seal on the cab closer to the original seal instead of the more outer lip.

Hard to believe but it worked great anyway. Though this morning I noticed the seals on the cab seperating due to being squished with the sticky side being pulled away (it's not being squished towards the sticky side if you know what I mean).

So this jerk will order another set and try again because it does make a big difference. The only problem I can see is that my doors, probably like many others, doesn't match the cab perfectly (the doors latch smoothly and looks good down the side). Mine have a pretty big gap at the top, the correct spot to glue the rubber to the cab will likely be seen when the door is closed if you have the same fit as me.

Last edited by Mondo; 01-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #99
Papabone

Sent payment today
Papabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #100
Rokcrln

Mondo, Joseph H and Mark L. Yours is on it's way as of today!

Thanks guys

Kevin
LFD Inc.