The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
TXgearhead67

Re: 1967 step side build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4word67 View Post
Just finished my 67 for its second life, my "Avatar" is its first 40years of life though it didn't receive the nice paint until 20 years ago. But it raised a family and drove back and forth to the bay area many times.
, went with Vision wheels
That's a sweet ride. Did you cut and fab the hood yourself?
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
TXgearhead67

After I got the cab on it was time for panel fitment. I just thought rust repair sucked. LOL I've read many post on poor aftermarket panels but I thought surely there not that bad. I was so wrong. My original driver fender had major cancer on the front bottom and rotted on the rear bottom. Original passenger fender had a previously bad repair making it not worth using. The factory hood was in good shape but I wanted a cowl induction instead. Radiator support was rotted at the bottom. Driver inner fender was totally rotted on the front side. So I bought new to replace them. The doors bolted on good and gapped decent which was a relief after all I had cut out and replaced. The driver fender to door gap was overlapping at the bottom. The problem is that the fender is almost a quarter inch to long at the bottom. Passenger fender wasn't to bad but the shape was way off. Radiator support was good. I did have to slot a couple holes.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
TXgearhead67

The biggest problem was the aftermarket hood. The fit was off everywhere. I tried and tried to make it work. I cut and welded the rear of the hood to get the cowl gap even and flush. The front had the wrong radius so it didn't match the fender slope. I tried cutting out the inner support to allow me room to pie cut and weld. I finally just give up on it. I'm sure someone can make it work but it just wasn't worth it for me. 68gold/white came thru and gave me not one but two original hoods. When I bolted the stock hood on it adjusted out in minutes. I'm using Eddie Motorsports hinges. I think I'm going to make someone a killer deal on aftermarket hood if somebody needs it.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #4
TXgearhead67

Once I seen how good the factory hood fit it made me wonder about the original driver fender fit. So I swapped the aftermarket driver fender for the original. Bam almost perfect fit. The only problem was all the rust. I ended up cutting the new fender up for patch panels. It turned out good. I was committed to using the passenger fender since the old one was to far gone. It took a lot of sledge hammer and 2x4 work to get the shape close. I was pleasantly surprised how good the new driver inner fender fit. I was sure it was going to be junk but it wasn't.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
cab4word67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgearhead67 View Post
That's a sweet ride. Did you cut and fab the hood yourself?
Yes I did the tilt myself so 30 years ago. When it was lifted it was hard to find the small block under the hood without falling in.
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
TXgearhead67

Well I haven’t been able to work in the shop for awhile. We got some life stuff going on. I’ll get back after it soon hopefully.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #7
Trucknut57

That is more awesome work, thanks for sharing your progress, wish I could move half that speed to get mine even close to the stage you are at.

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:13 PM   #8
68Gold/white

I had an older friend from church, he had a 67 C10 LWB. He had owned it since 1970. The pickup was immaculate! It was the original 1967 medium blue color. Man that thing stood out in a crowd! I’m leaning that direction on my 67.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote