The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #76
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: Could a teenager build this in one month?

This is a 73-91 Blazer frame. You cant make a pickup out of it, the frame is about 6" shorter than a short bed.

If you want a 4x4 I would say your best bet would be to get that black short bed, and get the DIY4X spring hangers and convert it to a 4x4, go to that guy and get the axles out of that blazer frame with the wheels and tires, then all you will need is a 4 speed, a 205 and an engine. Buid it right, do a good job, and you will have a truck you can keep for years and years and years.

I know when you are 17, you want everything now, and working on somthing for a year or more seems like a very long time, but as you grow you will realise that it is not. If you take the time to build that truck, you will have somthing there that you can take a great ammount of pride in for years to come.

Also, another strong sugjestion I would make is to see if you can get a late 90's vortec 350 with the serpentine drive on it, then put a carb and intake on it so you can run it that way. Get a runner, not a rebuilder, preferably in the truck running when you buy it. It will save you a lot of heartache when you are building the truck because building engines is expensive. A good rule of thumb is that building a new engine will cost 3x what you originally thought it would.

You should be able to get that motor for 500-1000.00 depending on condition, check out Spaldings in Spokane Washington, they often times will have those motors with less than 80K on them.

You should be able to find a SM465 4 speed, and a NP205 for about 300-500.00. They are a damn good tranny, and GM used them from I belive 1970 to 1991, so there are a few of them out there.

That blazer frame depending on what year it is will either have a Dana 44 front, and a 12 bolt rear, or it will have a pair of 10 bolts. Get me a picture of the pumpkins and I will tell you what they are.

If you need any help on the build, let me know, I have put more than a couple of these trucks togeather I will be more than happy to help you source out what ever you need.

And btw, I am fixing to do the same thing, I am going to take my 72 1 ton, cut it down to a short bed, and convert it to a 4x4. Although mine will have a Dana 60, a 14 bolt rear, a NV4500, 454, and a NP203/205 Doubler.

I am building this truck to replace the truck I built when I was 16, the Black 70 short bed that I never should have sold. I sold it in 1999, and have kicked myself ever since for it. I am telling you this so as that maybe you may take the knowledge of my mistakes and not make them yourself.

Oh, one more thing, if you do this you will want that whole blazer frame, it has everything you need to remount your fuel tank under the bed. Cause you know you need to get that tank out from behind the seat so as that you can get a speaker box in there!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #77
lax54650

if i was you i would save some cash and buy a driveable or nearly driveable truck that you can use. and work on at the same time. much better an old chevy than a rice burner!! i do admire your enthusiasm!!
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #78
thebrown83

Well as much as I would love to have a 67-72 swb 4x4 I would not be able to make myself cut up that 68. Also the more I think about it, it makes more scence for me to have a 2wd because the hot dry weather lasts much longer here than the winter weather. My brother is also supposed to be getting a hoda civic I think , so I might get his 95gmc 4x4 to drive this winter. So If that happens than I will probly get the 68 or one like it.

Last edited by thebrown83; 12-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.
thebrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #79
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post

This is a 73-91 Blazer frame. You cant make a pickup out of it, the frame is about 6" shorter than a short bed.

If you want a 4x4 I would say your best bet would be to get that black short bed, and get the DIY4X spring hangers and convert it to a 4x4, go to that guy and get the axles out of that blazer frame with the wheels and tires, then all you will need is a 4 speed, a 205 and an engine. Buid it right, do a good job, and you will have a truck you can keep for years and years and years.

I know when you are 17, you want everything now, and working on somthing for a year or more seems like a very long time, but as you grow you will realise that it is not. If you take the time to build that truck, you will have somthing there that you can take a great ammount of pride in for years to come.

Also, another strong sugjestion I would make is to see if you can get a late 90's vortec 350 with the serpentine drive on it, then put a carb and intake on it so you can run it that way. Get a runner, not a rebuilder, preferably in the truck running when you buy it. It will save you a lot of heartache when you are building the truck because building engines is expensive. A good rule of thumb is that building a new engine will cost 3x what you originally thought it would.

You should be able to get that motor for 500-1000.00 depending on condition, check out Spaldings in Spokane Washington, they often times will have those motors with less than 80K on them.

You should be able to find a SM465 4 speed, and a NP205 for about 300-500.00. They are a damn good tranny, and GM used them from I belive 1970 to 1991, so there are a few of them out there.

That blazer frame depending on what year it is will either have a Dana 44 front, and a 12 bolt rear, or it will have a pair of 10 bolts. Get me a picture of the pumpkins and I will tell you what they are.

If you need any help on the build, let me know, I have put more than a couple of these trucks togeather I will be more than happy to help you source out what ever you need.

And btw, I am fixing to do the same thing, I am going to take my 72 1 ton, cut it down to a short bed, and convert it to a 4x4. Although mine will have a Dana 60, a 14 bolt rear, a NV4500, 454, and a NP203/205 Doubler.

I am building this truck to replace the truck I built when I was 16, the Black 70 short bed that I never should have sold. I sold it in 1999, and have kicked myself ever since for it. I am telling you this so as that maybe you may take the knowledge of my mistakes and not make them yourself.

Oh, one more thing, if you do this you will want that whole blazer frame, it has everything you need to remount your fuel tank under the bed. Cause you know you need to get that tank out from behind the seat so as that you can get a speaker box in there!
thats not exactly true, you can make a pickup out of it. my friend took a 69 c/20 long bed and took the cab and bed off it, cut the front end of the bed down, raised the bed floor, and mounted the cab and bed on a 80 4x4 gmc jimmy chassis
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #80
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
thats not exactly true, you can make a pickup out of it. my friend took a 69 c/20 long bed and took the cab and bed off it, cut the front end of the bed down, raised the bed floor, and mounted the cab and bed on a 80 4x4 gmc jimmy chassis
I am well aware of this, however for the intents and purposes of this discussion where we are talking about a 17 year old building a practical short bed for a reasonable amount of money with a minimal amount of custom fabrication work, were talking about a little bit of a chore here.

And technically that will not be a short bed, it will be a super short bed, and personally I don't like em. And I know that some ones brothers cousins best friends former roommate has always done it bigger and badder, but man I am trying to be practical here.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #81
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I am well aware of this, however for the intents and purposes of this discussion where we are talking about a 17 year old building a practical short bed for a reasonable amount of money with a minimal amount of custom fabrication work, were talking about a little bit of a chore here.

And technically that will not be a short bed, it will be a super short bed, and personally I don't like em. And I know that some ones brothers cousins best friends former roommate has always done it bigger and badder, but man I am trying to be practical here.
i wasnt saying that you didnt know that, cuz i dont know everything myself. but yah i understandand and hear you on that one about building a practical short bed for a reasonable amount of money and minimal amount of custom fabrication work.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #82
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
i wasnt saying that you didnt know that, cuz i dont know everything myself. but yah i understandand and hear you on that one about building a practical short bed for a reasonable amount of money and minimal amount of custom fabrication work.
4WD short beds are awesome, I really miss the black one I used to have. One of the dumbest things I have ever done was get rid of it.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #83
thebrown83

I found a new yard yesterday... not any 67-72 chevy trucks but can anyone say ratrod heaven?
Here is a sneak peak.

P.S. Sorry for so many off subject pictures. I just thought you guys might find that stuff as cool as I do. Let me know if I need to remove them. It started snowing here today so I didn't get back to the black 68 to take more pics.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #84
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Dude, your a freaking Old-Car-A-FindaSarus-Rex!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #85
thebrown83

haha never heard that one before. Thanks. Backroading is my specialty. I think I have every road in a 10 mile radius of my town covered. The farther I go, the more I find. If there is a vehicle in a pasture or barn i will find it.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #86
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrown83 View Post
haha never heard that one before. Thanks. Backroading is my specialty. I think I have every road in a 10 mile radius of my town covered. The farther I go, the more I find. If there is a vehicle in a pasture or barn i will find it.
I am assuming that the brown truck in your avatar is yours?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #87
thebrown83

yep the brown truck is mine (kinda). It is actually my dads and so is the 95gmc that my brother is driving right now. I have 2 brothers(23 and 27) so how the vehicle thing has kinda worked is my dad buys them new, he drives them, then passes them down through the family for me and my brothers to drive during highschool. We are expected to buy our own vehicles when we get out of college and the vehicles get returned to the folks. That is why I am about to get the 95 because my brother is getting a new car. I don't mind driving the 83 but it is a 2wd 3/4 ton and I would rather have a 4wd for the winter. The vehicles just kinda pile up in the shed so I just claim them all. Wow ok well that was just my entire life story... i should stop typing now.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #88
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
yep the brown truck is mine (kinda). It is actually my dads and so is the 95gmc that my brother is driving right now. I have 2 brothers(23 and 27) so how the vehicle thing has kinda worked is my dad buys them new, he drives them, then passes them down through the family for me and my brothers to drive during highschool. We are expected to buy our own vehicles when we get out of college and the vehicles get returned to the folks. That is why I am about to get the 95 because my brother is getting a new car. I don't mind driving the 83 but it is a 2wd 3/4 ton and I would rather have a 4wd for the winter. The vehicles just kinda pile up in the shed so I just claim them all. Wow ok well that was just my entire life story... i should stop typing now.
Well I tell you what, I will make a deal with you. I have the front section of a frame that has the entire front suspension, steering box, and Axle out of a 77 Chevy 3/4 ton. It has a 10 bolt 8 lug axle, that I believe has 4.10 gears. If you do what it takes to buy that 83 from your old man, Later next summer or early next fall when I head north to Montana I will throw that thing on my trailer and give it to you!

It has everything you need to do the swap except for a front drive shaft and transfer case that I am sure a resourceful fellow like yourself can commandeer. And because it is all still on the frame, you will be able to ensure that everything winds up in the right spot, even has a sway bar and all!

To get the axle and suspension in the truck it wouldn't cost you any more than some new brake lines, pads, a gaskets, some 80 weight, and a couple of seals. Well and plenty of elbow grease a little time and some patience.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #89
1972CheyenneSuper

Quote:
I found a new yard yesterday... not any 67-72 chevy trucks but can anyone say ratrod heaven?
Here is a sneak peak.

*Awesome Car Pictures*

P.S. Sorry for so many off subject pictures. I just thought you guys might find that stuff as cool as I do. Let me know if I need to remove them. It started snowing here today so I didn't get back to the black 68 to take more pics.

Somebody needs to save that '56 Bel Air and that Mercury. How's the body on the '56?
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #90
thebrown83

Mr Beast that is a very generous offer but I don't think there is any way in hell that my dad would ever let me buy or start cutting on that truck. Its like his baby and It is a very original truck so I think I am better off looking for more of a junker to do that to. My grandpa does have a junker 2wd 3/4 ton though... hmmm. I will think about it. Thanks

1972cheyennesuper it is in ok shape. Here are more pics.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #91
pumpkin

To answer the original question, I would say yes. I know my 18 year old son could do it, and he has a full time job to boot. As far as cheep, thats a loaded question. I would think it could be done for around $2000. This would depend, of course on your talents. My son can weld, fabricate, and scrounge parts very well. On my old 72, he stripped it to the frame, swapped drive train, rebuilt the engine, I built the trans, installed hydroboost, and had it on the road in 5 weeks.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #92
TwoFiftyShifter

'51 Ford, 55 GMC, 57 Chevy and tons more - what an awesome old truck scrapyard!!!! All rot free stuff from down south too! I am in HEAVEN!