The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #76
tygaboy

Re: 52 Suburban project thread

And we have 'vette brackets partially installed! It's very cool to see it coming together. The folks doing the work (I'm not ready to trust my welding for anything structural) tell me they are really impressed with the Flat Out components.
Also have the Progressive X-Member and full frame boxing plates on the way.
Getting there...
Attached Images

tygaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:13 AM   #77
tygaboy

Got a chance to start the lay up on the engine cover. I'm going with a "piece at a time" technique. I apply the epoxy to the small areas I want to work on, let it get tacky to the point that I can touch it and leave a finger print but get none on my finger. Then I can press the pieces into place. This first layer of epoxy serves as a sort of gel coat and helps the visible layer of carbon stick and prevent bridging, air bubbles, etc. Tomorrow I'll lay up the sides and add the rest of the layers to get the thickness I want. Should have a nice carbon fiber engine cover by Sunday afternoon!
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #78
paul5663

Looks great so far! Keep postin' pics.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=229882
paul5663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #79
tygaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul5663 View Post
Looks great so far! Keep postin' pics.
Paul,
Thanks for the kind words. I've build lots of carbon fiber for the motorcycle crowd and they love these "how to" composite build threads. I guess I'm not yet sure how interested the classic truck crowd is this "non metal" stuff. But I'll take your response as a vote for more!
Thanks again. And here you go...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #80
tygaboy

If you look back in this thread, you'll see a pic of the 6.5 turbo diesel engine I'll be running. If you look to the left of the intake, you'll (kinda) see there is a sheet metal heat cover over the turbo. Well, we can't have a nice carbon fiber engine cover and leave that ugly ol' piece of tin sitting there if full view, now can we!?
Here's the stock piece:
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #81
tygaboy

I'm using an approach that doesn't require me to first make a mold. Since this part is nice and smooth on the inside - well, after a bit of clean up and polishing - I can simply use it (the inside surface) as the mold!
The final part will be undersized by the thickness of the sheet metal but in a non-critical fitment like this, it's not going to make a difference. Plus, it saves me the time and materials needed to prep the outer surface and make a mold before I can make the part.
So, I clean and polish the inner surface, lay up the part, let it cure and - Ta Da! - one carbon fiber turbo heat shield!
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #82
tygaboy

Not the greatest picture as the flash washes out some of the carbon visibility but...
A bit nicer than the stock piece, no?

I'm using a 2x2 twill weave as it's draping characteristics allow for a single piece to conform the the compound curve if the turbo cover. It's a little harder to work with than plain weave but it looks cool and for this application, it's certainly the way to go. Now let's finish the engine cover...
Attached Images

Last edited by tygaboy; 11-26-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #83
earl87gta

Man that is sweet. I think I need to invest in some carbon next time I make a part. I have a mold of a 67 gauge pannel maybe ill try to lay down carbon to see how it looks.
Im suprized you dont notice the seams. I figured you would be able to see them more like on the back side pic.
Looks great I cant wait to see what else you have planned.

Last edited by earl87gta; 11-27-2007 at 02:43 AM.
earl87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #84
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

the carbon fiber looks great. how much heat can it withstand?
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #85
tygaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotachevyor2 View Post
the carbon fiber looks great. how much heat can it withstand?
I've built heat shields for motorcyle applications with no issues. Not sure about this one as it bolts right to the turbo housing. I'm going to run this part as a test prototype to be sure this epoxy (West Systems) will last. There are other, higher temp tolerant epoxies and I may have to move to a different product. Let's see how the test goes!

Quote:
Im suprized you dont notice the seams. I figured you would be able to see them more like on the back side pic.
There are no visible seams since the outer, visible layer of carbon because it went in as a single piece. I piece in the rest of the layers as it's more cost effective vs the waste that's created laying in a single piece. It's hard to describe but you have to use more fabric when you go for that "no seams" look on a part that has lots of compound curves. So, the inside has lots of seams, the outside has none!

Last edited by tygaboy; 11-29-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #86
tygaboy

It rolls! Just mocked up at this point, pending final approval of wheel placement in the fender wells. But how cool to see it with some wheels on.

It's on the lift as there just isn't room with all the other activity. I'll get some better pics once it's back down. And no promises on these wheels - 20 x 10.5 and 18 x 8.5 - as they may well not fit under the body - but I like the size and look.
Frame boxing and X-member installation is next.
Attached Images

Last edited by tygaboy; 12-05-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #87
paul5663

Cool to see some progress. Looks great so far! Keep posting!
Paul
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #88
paul5663

By the way, are you using the stock corvette rack? I just installed my motor (350) and clearing the vette rack lines (the 2 on top) is a major challenge at best. I ended up placing the motor where the lines fit just between the harmonic balancer and the block. There is BARELY enough room there. That corvette rack is mounted really high on the crossmember. I compared it to my buddy's 49 w/ a TCI MII front end and he has a ton more clearance. Good luck.
Paul
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #89
tygaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul5663 View Post
By the way, are you using the stock corvette rack? I just installed my motor (350) and clearing the vette rack lines (the 2 on top) is a major challenge at best. I ended up placing the motor where the lines fit just between the harmonic balancer and the block. There is BARELY enough room there. Good luck.
Paul
Great... Yep, stock Corvette rack. I have no idea what mounting challenges are in store as I'm running the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. Good news is that with the recessed firewall an no distributor at all, I can move the motor WAY back in the chassis. Which reminds me - I gotta get that engine and trans out of the donor vehicle pretty soon...!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #90
tygaboy

Rolling and ready for boxing!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #91
tygaboy

The body is temporarily back on to verify front-to-back rear wheel position in the rear fender. (Corvette suspension sure is pretty, isn't it?) Then the front sheet metal gets fit so final body work can be completed. Then the body comes back off and final suspension welding, frame boxing and cross member install happens. The Suburban body makes this a bit more challenging than working with a cab and bed.

And to make matters worse, I just bought a '48 Chevy COE. Great, another distraction...
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #92
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

And to make matters worse, I just bought a '48 Chevy COE. Great, another distraction...

So where are the pictures......

Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #93
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygaboy View Post
The body is temporarily back on to verify front-to-back rear wheel position in the rear fender. (Corvette suspension sure is pretty, isn't it?) Then the front sheet metal gets fit so final body work can be completed. Then the body comes back off and final suspension welding, frame boxing and cross member install happens. The Suburban body makes this a bit more challenging than working with a cab and bed.

Dude, we're waiting...since I don't have an AD right now, this thread is the only reason I pop over here - what's up with your project?
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #94
69face

nice looking project ya got there!

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #95
tygaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
Dude, we're waiting...since I don't have an AD right now, this thread is the only reason I pop over here - what's up with your project?
OK, sorry for the lack of updates. We've run into issues getting the rear suspension set up correctly. Everything seems to measure out but now the rear shock mounts aren't aligned correctly. Very frustrating. Hard to tell if it's manufacturing variance on the factory frame or what. I need to get this resolved one way or the other - and soon.
Other than that, the *****in' Products front rad support is going on and then we hang the front sheet metal for initial fit. The frame is fully boxed and the bodywork is essentially done so it's "get that suspension figured out", X-member welded in, motor and trans mounts installed and I can drag it home to plumb and wire, do interior stuff, etc.

Also, I'm in the process of building a 1000 sq ft shop on my prooerty so it'd be nice to get the shop finished enough to have a place to put the 'burb.

The saga continues. Watch this space - I'll post as post-worthy progress is made.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #96
tygaboy

Talking Re: 52 Suburban project thread

So... We got the suspension worked out. It was related to the "minor" variance in these 50+ year old chassis and where factory holes are located, blah. blah. Anyway, the good news is it's now a non-issue.

Now, people who know me won't be suprised at what's happening now:
I've been doing a lot of head scratching on how I want this project to proceed and I've decided to stop what I've been doing and head in a radically different direction. It's a bit of a long story and I won't try and explain it just yet - let me get some progress made first.
The plan now calls for a from-scratch, custom chassis and suspension (wait 'til you see this...!) and LOTS of metal and composite work.
I'm really excited about this new direction so for now, the project as it existed in this thread is essentially canceled.

It may be a while before I post anything as I'm focused on wrapping the details of the design work. I'm pretty sure no one has seen anything like what's planned.

And yes, it means lots of the $$ invested so far is out the window. Ah, well. Live and learn, I s'pose.

EDIT: Sorry you can not sell anything without being a paid subscriber.
oldiron forum staff

Last edited by oldiron; 02-09-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: For sale item by a nonsubscriber
Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #97
Big Burb

I like it. I'm doing a '53 and from what I've read our ideas are parallel. HP 292 (5 liter) for me but I've seen the chassis in a vision. I've been trying figure out how to hook up Vette A arms to a MII crossmember. I would like to know more about your current chassis, pics and approx $.
Big Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #98
Big Burb

Mistake of a triple post

Last edited by oldiron; 02-09-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: studder finger
Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #99
Big Burb

triple post mistake

Last edited by oldiron; 02-09-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Studder finger
Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #100
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Bit of a stutter there big burb
You might want to PM tyga as the mods might not like the talk about selling without the site supporter status.
Brian ....

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited

Last edited by entourageguy; 02-09-2008 at 11:59 AM.
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote