The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #76
84 400
Sb 400 club

Re: How to lower my ride? Please help a newbie.

Sorry to be off topic but that is one fine truck you got there sir. I have never seen a long stepside here in person much lesss a long stepside manual trans. I was just wondering how your truck is viewed in Germany? I bet they are very uncommen although i do see a few people on this board from Germany. Was it brought over for by some company?

again nice truck and i like the idea of it on baggs!
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #77
los-lowrider

@84 400
Thank you very much. The 73-87 are not so uncommon as you might think but I have the only long stepper here as far as I know. evrey time I drive it it gets a lot of attention, especially since I have lowered it.
I bought this truck several years ago from an American business man who has been living here with his German wife. He went in financial trouble and so it was my turn. I felt in love with it at first view and now step by step I try to turn it into the way I like it.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #78
los-lowrider

Hey guys is this topic too boring for you or is there just no experience with the ART strong arms or suicide?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #79
pcmcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by los-lowrider View Post
My next plans are to replace front with an ART ARF11802-LUCA.

(1973-1987) Chevrolet C-10,Suburban,Blazer front Cool-Ride kit with tubular upper and lower StrongArm kit

Product ID: ARF11802-LUCA

Price: $999.00

Has anybody experience with this set up? Is it worth it and how much extra drop offers it?
I talked with Shane from air ride (www.ridetech.com) about these a few months ago, he sent me some photos of an 86 c10 with these on it. The drop goes from "about" 3" inflated to 6" deflated. I have some pics, pm me your email and I can send them.
John
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #80
los-lowrider

@pcmcobra
I sent you an pm. What did Shane told you about advance or diadvance on these arms. If I get boxrodz right then they are only a help in alignment. And then I think they are damn expensive. My personally thinking was as I mentioned about that they help to creat some more clearence under the truck and give an additional drop.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #81
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
@boxrodz
I checked the suicide page but I have no idea what to choose. Should I take single or double port bags and which brand is the best.
And where can I find a sheet or something else regarding differences on the extended, ride and deflated size? What diameter would fit ans so on and on.
Maybe you can give me a hand to get the right set up.

Regarding the ART kit if this arms only help for alignment then it's a way too expensive I think. My idea was that they give me an additional drop and more claerance under the truck.
As I mentioned, I don't have any experience with the Strong Arms, but I've heard that they don't buy you much clearance. I would guess that they do offer some (just a bit of) clearence since the flanges around the LCA hang lower then the tubular arms. (A few folks in the 67-72 section have experience with them.)

To answer your other question, here’s a quick rundown:

To start off with, you could use the cups and brackets for single port bags that Suicide Doors offer for the 67-87 trucks (http://*****************/67-87Fullsiz...Brackets.php#).

[IMG]http://*****************/images/products/mid_67-87_Fullsize_Chevy_Single_Port_Brackets.jpg[/IMG]

The upper bracket mounts to the outer flange of the spring pocket on the crossmember with 4 fasteners. The cup installs in the spring pocket of the LCA without the use of fasteners. You may want to section about 1 inch out of the cup to have the bag sit lower in the LCA without risking the air bag rubbing on any surrounding components, and thus lowering the ride height in the front. For this particular application, you should go with a double-convoluted style air bag. (vs. the sleeve-type air bag). To handle the weight of these trucks, the Firestone 2600 model (224c) is a popular choice. They are available as a single port bag. (Unless you are setting up a very radical system, I don’t see a reason for dual port bags.) They are set up at a ride height between 5” – 5.5” and can handle a weight of 3,150 lbs. @ 100 psi. The specs for Firestone air bags can be found on the Firestone web site (http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/r.../cscinfo.shtml) as well as on the Air Ride Tech (http://ridetech.com/productinfo/dimensions.asp). I can’t find the exact pdf that Firestone put out their air springs quite a while back. BTW, the Firestone site has some good information on installing and maintaining the bags as well.

[IMG]http://*****************/images/products/mid_Firestone_224c_2600.jpg[/IMG]

Although, Firestone is a popular choice, the double-convoluted bag offered by Slam Specialties have a strong following. They report that their bags don’t ballon like most traditional air bags and they are also more responsive as well. I’ve heard the ride is bit more firm than the Firestones. Their 7 series is a direct replacement for the Firestone’s 224c. You can found more information on the Slam Specialties web site (http://slamspecialties.com/). BTW, their bags are designed with a higher pressure rating.

[IMG]http://*****************/images/products/res_SlamSpecialtiesRE200PSISinglePort.jpg[/IMG]

Next, you’ll need DOT-approved air line and fittings. Among the choices for the size of the air line and fittings are 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2”. You may find a slow rise and deflate time with the 1/4” and too fast of a rise/deflate time with 1/2”. (Although, you can install rise/dump controllers to slow the air time of the 1/2” lines.) Then, if you want a fully automatic management setup, you’ll need to get valves like the ones that SMC offers, an air tank, a compressor, gauges (and 1/8” line) to read the pressure of each air bag and the other components (switches, leader hose, pressure switch, check valve, water trap, etc). Suicide Doors as well as many others offer a good selection. If you plan to maintain the air bags at ride height and not have a need adjust them on a regular basis, then you could forego the ‘accessories’ and plumb the air bags with Schrader valves installed on the ends of the air lines. Then, down the line, work on completing the system. Regardless, each air bag should be plumb independently of each other.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #82
midwestcar

good info boxrodz!!!!!
midwestcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #83
los-lowrider

Thank you a bunch boxrodz, your information is great. I still read a lot of opinions in several articles but I think the slamsepcialities bags are the way to go. They offer the most raise and seem to be long lasting.
Regarding the air management I don't mind because I have the sure set, we talked about last year, installed. It is just a two way system but works great. The management sytem I want to fine tune with an high output Range Rover compressor and an five gallon tank. And if money is no problem I can turn to an automatic 4way system at every time.
Now I have to figure out what fittings I will need. I thought about 1/2 lines. Do you think it will be too fast are is it ok? To be true a faster system I would appreciate because with no tank and the bags in my coils the system was rather slow. But I was able to drive nearly one year till one bag blowed. I guess I took too much preasure. Anyway thank you and maybe you have some additional advices for me. By the way does suicide ship international, it's not really clear on their site.
Michel
Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #84
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestcar View Post
good info boxrodz!!!!!

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #85
boxrodz

Quote:
Thank you a bunch boxrodz, your information is great. I still read a lot of opinions in several articles but I think the slamsepcialities bags are the way to go. They offer the most raise and seem to be long lasting.
Regarding the air management I don't mind because I have the sure set, we talked about last year, installed. It is just a two way system but works great. The management sytem I want to fine tune with an high output Range Rover compressor and an five gallon tank. And if money is no problem I can turn to an automatic 4way system at every time.
Now I have to figure out what fittings I will need. I thought about 1/2 lines. Do you think it will be too fast are is it ok? To be true a faster system I would appreciate because with no tank and the bags in my coils the system was rather slow. But I was able to drive nearly one year till one bag blowed. I guess I took too much preasure. Anyway thank you and maybe you have some additional advices for me. By the way does suicide ship international, it's not really clear on their site.
Michel
Sounds like you have a good plan.

I think you’ll find that the 1/2” lines may be too fast. You may want to consider 3/8” lines instead. Although, you may find that 3/8” line for the exhaust may be a bit too fast. But, you can add a reducer at the exhaust to slow it down, if necessary. I imagine your setup with the bag-assisted coil spring adversely affected the speed of the system. With the proper air management system, you’ll notice a difference in this bag setup vs. your previous setup. There’s quite a few diagrams floating around to help plumb the system like at the Outlaw Motorsports site(http://www.outlawmotorsports.biz/diagrams.asp). It's a be more extensive than you need, but the concept is usable.

I don’t know if Suicide Doors ships internationally, but talk to Jason at Suicide Doors to find out. He is very customer service oriented and can help answer any questions you may have.

BTW, I’d be interested to see how your setup works out. Especially, once you complete the Range Rover compressor/tank setup.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #86
boxrodz

I should have pointed out that the 1/2" line/fiittings in the previous diagram can be replaced with 3/8" line/fittings and the 1/4" lines running to the gauges (cab) can be replaced with 1/8" lines.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #87
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I find my 1/2" lines to be way too fast. I would tink 1/4" would be plenty, or 3/8" at the most.

The tubular control arms will get you slightly more clearance, but they will still be the first thing to touch the ground. at most I'd say they'll give you an extra inch over the stock arms that have flanges that hang down.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #88
los-lowrider

What bags do you use for the rear? RE6 or RE7?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #89
boxrodz

los-lowrider -
What type of suspension setup are you going to use in the rear (existing leaf spring, 4-bar, cantilever, ...)? For a rear mount bag above or behind the rear axle, a sleeve bag (ie. Firestone F9000s) would give you a better ride. You can use a double-convoluted bag (ie. RE7s), if you intend to setup a cantilever system for the rear.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:03 AM   #90
los-lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
los-lowrider -
What type of suspension setup are you going to use in the rear (existing leaf spring, 4-bar, cantilever, ...)? For a rear mount bag above or behind the rear axle, a sleeve bag (ie. Firestone F9000s) would give you a better ride. You can use a double-convoluted bag (ie. RE7s), if you intend to setup a cantilever system for the rear.
I am going tu use the existing leafs. The rear is lowered 7" with a flip kit and hangers, also I have a Werstern c-notch installed.
So nothing special, the only thing is the space which isn't really much. I plan to put both sides to the cap like N2TRUX did it.
BTW, is it correct to get an extra drop by removing leafs? I read this several times but I am not sure on the effort of this. Is this caused due the lower capacity with minor leafs and if I would remove two leafs what drop would this offer?
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #91
los-lowrider

I just measured and a 6" bag should fit in front of the axle. Also the 7" for the front. Here are a couple of pics for you and the compressor for boxrodz.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #92
los-lowrider

2nd
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #93
los-lowrider

3rd
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #94
los-lowrider

And because I have the time today here is a little soundclip. It's really time to built a new exhaust system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmPR0Ns9gfY
Old 02-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #95
boxrodz

Quote:
I am going tu use the existing leafs. The rear is lowered 7" with a flip kit and hangers, also I have a Werstern c-notch installed.
So nothing special, the only thing is the space which isn't really much. I plan to put both sides to the cap like N2TRUX did it.
BTW, is it correct to get an extra drop by removing leafs? I read this several times but I am not sure on the effort of this. Is this caused due the lower capacity with minor leafs and if I would remove two leafs what drop would this offer?
Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm not too qualified to answer your leaf setup. Maybe, N2 will chime in and respond. But, I seen others (including N2) run with a couple of leaf springs (upper two leafs) and a sleeve bag. If you look at some of N2's aired out shots, his truck is low with using just a couple of leafs. So, reducing the spring pack will get you a bit lower. I'm not sure how much. But, maybe a bit lower than N2's, since you have a long bed. Like you said, the downfall of running less leafs is that it will reduce your load carrying capacity. But, that is rectified by installing the air springs. So, it's really not a issue. The biggest disadvantage is that you will have a bit of axle wrap. But, mounting the bag in front of the axle may help that issue slightly.

So, air over leaf should work out. I'd just imitate N2s setup. It looks like his setup uses the F9000s sleeve bags. Judging by your pics, it looks like you have the 9" - 9.5" space for the bag's ride height.

The compressor looks cool. Do you have the specs (duty cycle, cfms/psi) on it?

BTW, the engine sounds good.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #96
los-lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm not too qualified to answer your leaf setup. Maybe, N2 will chime in and respond. But, I seen others (including N2) run with a couple of leaf springs (upper two leafs) and a sleeve bag. If you look at some of N2's aired out shots, his truck is low with using just a couple of leafs. So, reducing the spring pack will get you a bit lower. I'm not sure how much. But, maybe a bit lower than N2's, since you have a long bed. Like you said, the downfall of running less leafs is that it will reduce your load carrying capacity. But, that is rectified by installing the air springs. So, it's really not a issue. The biggest disadvantage is that you will have a bit of axle wrap. But, mounting the bag in front of the axle may help that issue slightly.

So, air over leaf should work out. I'd just imitate N2s setup. It looks like his setup uses the F9000s sleeve bags. Judging by your pics, it looks like you have the 9" - 9.5" space for the bag's ride height.

The compressor looks cool. Do you have the specs (duty cycle, cfms/psi) on it?

BTW, the engine sounds good.
It shoul be 100% duty cycle with 2,35 cfm and 200psi.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #97
boxrodz

Thank you.

BTW, I read where some owners had problems with the air suspension system of their Range Rovers. Some converted theirs over to coil overs.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #98
los-lowrider

Burn Out video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zql1n9Z20c8
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #99
los-lowrider

Well it took some time, I ordered bags, cups and plates at suicidedoors. The shipment took much longer than I thought.
Yesterday I started put thing together and test them. It seems that it works well with the airlift block.
Additionally the cups are 1/2" lower now because the were to tall on my opinion.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #100
los-lowrider

Please let me know your opinion!
Attached Images