The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #76
ixnay

Re: My Slap-my-hand-to-my-forehead 68 fixer-upper

Last night we installed the oil pump, oil pan, put the timing cover on, "gasketed and siliconed" and painted. Put on the Edelbrock intake manifold, sealed her up and called it a night. Tonight: engine install, or have it ready to anyway.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #77
Low Elco

Enjoy-One of the best feelings of the car experience is firing a new motor. Hope it goes well for you.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #78
stfinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Enjoy-One of the best feelings of the car experience is firing a new motor. Hope it goes well for you.
I totally agree. I was jumping for joy when my rebuilt motor came to life and purred like a kitten. Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you did a good job too. The build looks great so far. I can't wait to tear into the cancer spots on mine.

1972 C10 Custom LWB, 3-speed automatic, 350 bored .060 over, Vortec heads, Crane Energizer 260 H10 Cam
My Beater/Work in Progress
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502044
stfinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #79
Tinkermc

I was listening last night and didn't hear it run is there a problem Houston? Maybe to many miles apart for my old ears. Share some good news with us.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #80
Low Elco

Yeah, how'd it go?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #81
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
I was listening last night and didn't hear it run is there a problem Houston? Maybe to many miles apart for my old ears. Share some good news with us.
We entered the Kingdom of Lack of Available Parts. The engine had a oil filter adapter often used on remote installs, especially on a 4WD. It's hard to find the adapter's gasket. No one locally had it. At the Chevrolet dealership, the Parts guy pointed to the original adapter for a SBC, but said he didn't have one of those either. So, I scrambled around and picked up an adapter Sunday after church.

Yesterday we put the oil filter on and started re-weaving the spark plug cords. My mechanic mentor is pretty good at it. His wife quilts. Maybe I should tell her how good he is a tying together loose threads.

We also put on the clutch, etc. Then we realized that the set screws to attach the valve covers were a tad short. I purchased 3/4 inch. I need 1 1/4 inch, but wanted 1 1/2 inch. I went to four shops. This morning before work, at the locally owned hardware store, I found some that were 1 1/4 inch.

So tonight we should be putting the engine into the compartment and hooking up the tranny and exhaust.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #82
Low Elco

Woot woot! Hope it goes well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #83
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
Then we realized that the set screws to attach the valve covers were a tad short. I purchased 3/4 inch. I need 1 1/4 inch, but wanted 1 1/2 inch. I went to four shops. This morning before work, at the locally owned hardware store, I found some that were 1 1/4 inch..
This was my friend's idea, btw, not OEM. The PO had used various fasteners he found his garage throughout his engine rebuild, and had not often tightened them properly, i.e., they were barely more than finger tight. Then there was the laughable, e.g., two of the valve cover clamps were upside down.

My friend suggested the set screws for ease of access/removal for the valve covers. I made sure the valve covers were right-side up.

So my friend did all the hard work about hooking up the transmission to the engine, as I pushed/pulled the engine hoist and handed tools down. We got the engine in but didn't start it as we still have the top to button up. Maybe we shall start her tonight. If not tonight, then maybe Saturday, the next day we both can work. Otherwise, I'm on vacation until mid-August.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #84
Tinkermc

Well now I know why I didn't hear it, YET???
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #85
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
Well now I know why I didn't hear it, YET???
Again the vengeful Spirit of Missing Parts struck. One of the 6 nuts on the exhaust stud was off (coarse instead of fine), so I'm off to buy a nut. Don't think I put it somewhere else; think it got tossed and the one I used looked right so I grabbed it. Aargh.

But now my mentor has family visiting, so we cannot work until I get back from vacation--August 13th. We put the hood back on, put the few remaining parts in the cab, and cleaned up the garage.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #86
Low Elco

AAAAAAAAHHHHGHGGGH! The torture of waiting! Have fun on vaca! Hope you're going somewhere cool!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #87
True 67

just remember.. Good things come to those who wait...You should make sure that your mentor friend has plenty of cold ones before you start back at it. It does remind him that you are a good one to have around..

True
True 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #88
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by True 67 View Post
just remember.. Good things come to those who wait...You should make sure that your mentor friend has plenty of cold ones before you start back at it. It does remind him that you are a good one to have around..

True
Oh, I've already got some stuff in mind. Can't say though, as he might check this thread. We've had a long-standing relationship. We hunt together. His kids watched my kids. So my bride sends over some treats on Monday. Last night, his Mrs. returns the plate with some "crumbs" on it. I'm having my snicker-doodle crumb for lunch.

On the plus-side of the delay cost/benefit table, I'll be able to have clean fingers for the first time in a month.

But my quip about waiting is this: if God had meant me to have patience, he would have made me a dentist like my dad.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #89
ixnay

I see that my last post didn't post. On Wednesday night, we added coolant, primed the camshaft, tightened this and that, primed the carb and started her up. Woo-hoo The engine sounded rough so we shut her down, corrected the crossed wire, and started her back up. The engine ran for 30 minutes on the break-in oil. It sounded great. Then when we adjusted the timing, she sputtered and died. Not sure what happened. Fuel is fine, so it must be spark, but the distributor connection appears fine.

We'll work on that tonight.

If I could figure out out how to attach a video, I'd show it.

MJH
Old 08-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #90
Low Elco

Congrats! Always good to light up a fresh one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #91
ixnay

Quote:

If I could figure out out how to attach a video, I'd show it.

MJH
Here's a link to a quick vid w/ sound of the engine running.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt2e4s4mym...2021.05.47.3gp
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #92
Low Elco

Linky no workie!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #93
ixnay

So I get her running last Friday, take her to the lube shop Saturday morn to top her off and the guy says your speedo gear housing is leaking. Oh, okay. So I figure out that the speedo gear is not tight (the internal O-ring leaks), and I need a silver bullet. Monday I head to three places (LAPS, Chevy dealer, and tranny shop) to find one. NO LUCK.

Tranny shop, whom I used before with great success, says it will need to see rig, etc etc. Bring the rig in the next day. End of day they tell me it needs a silver bullet. Yes, I knew that. The shop will order a part and bring the rig back today. So I brought it back this morning, and picked it up this afternoon. $57 for parts and labor.

Off to my daughter's cross-country meet. Heavy traffic because of a rollover jamming I-5. All lanes south stopped. I'm working the clutch. All of a sudden, she's locked in first gear. Clutch engages and disengages, but the gear shift is locked in first.

Reading other posts, I think I may need lube or lube/bushings for my column shifter (it''s a 3-speed). That's tomorrow's project, I suppose. And my wife? She's ready to kill the truck and me.

She's justified in doing so.

Back to the GM manual.

P.S. Nursed the rig home in 1st gear, grabbed the car, drove like crazy to the meet, caught the start. Daughter had a great kick at the end and did very well.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #94
ixnay

Quote:
All of a sudden, she's locked in first gear. Clutch engages and disengages, but the gear shift is locked in first.
Popped the hood, manually pulled the gear out, rig is fine.

Except that I started painting and now it's Frankentruck.

MJH
Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #95
Low Elco

She'll cool off. Oddly, about the time she needs something hauled, which seems to be about once a week once you have a truck. Glad it runs well!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #96
ixnay

I love to sand. Probably a good thing. I've created lots of opportunities to put my love to use. . It's a pretty scary paint job right now since I don't know squat about painting. Need to borrow my friends orbital polisher once I get done.

I had a friend over last night. I told him about the Rustoleum paint job over dinner. Since he used to work in a shop, he was dubious. But he was impressed at how well the paint flattened out. He also suggested painting the cab white. So I'm doing that now, having painted the first coat red. Oh well, it's just time.

The fender is what I'm aiming for. The door was bad and the rear quarter-panel was the U-G-L-Y. Required major sanding. I'm looking forward to a few hours tonight working on it.

The engine is purring along just fine however.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #97
ixnay

Sanded, masked, took more photos. Painted the cowl, drip rails, 3 hours of work for 20 minutes of paint (well, maybe 40). At it again tonight and then I'm off with Mother Army for a 14 days. I'll do 28 days of AT this year, again. It hasn't been 2 weeks during the summer for oh-so-long.

I decided to paint the cab white, as you can see. I think the two-tone will look sharp.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #98
ixnay

Came home mid-AT at Lewis-McChord. Little bit of sanding, some re-masking, and two coats. Heading back to L-M tonight, so wet-sanding will wait until next Saturday night.

But we're making progress.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #99
ixnay

More photos. After 3 coats, it's looking much better. Still need to do the cab supports, and I'm thinking of buying the letters from Brothers/LMC for the tail-gate unless I really want to take the time to finely paint them in. Which I may. Hmmm.

Then it's on to the window rubber and interior. Maybe I should repaint the interior.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #100
JRE

Looking good. Wish I would have known you where painting it i could have came and helped. I'm a painter by trade.
JRE is offline   Reply With Quote